As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paul is Muad'Dib, Darth Vader is Luke's father.

DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
I'm certainly not expecting the forum's policy on spoilers to change as a result of this, but I did find this Wired article about how spoilers don't really spoil anything rather amusing.

In fact, the study indicates that people actually tend to enjoy stories more when the ending is spoiled for them. Personally I don't really get the frantic avoidance of spoilers, but I have to confess I was a bit surprised to find that Usagi also sometimes skips to the end of a book or reads spoilers about a film before investing time in following it all the way through.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
Druhim on

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, this won't result in a change in forum policy.

• Options
    Yeah, never suggested it would.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    But good job on jumping on that before it got out of hand, right?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    snape kills the balrog

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    y'know what's awful

when there's a cool bit in a movie trailer and you spend the whole movie waiting to see it

but it was cut from the finished film

and you're kept in suspension until it's over and then you're let down

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    My american history teacher said he always reads the end of a book first, because he can't stand not knowing what happens.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    When Bruce Willis was dead at the end of Sixth Sense I...

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've never really got that "Well, story's spoiled, might as well not even bother now" mentality. I mean, I like to be surprised but I'm not gonna call the whole thing off just because I know how it ends. Personally it's always been more about how the story unfolds than what happens at the end (or big reveals somewhere in the middle).

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I am Keyser Soze.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I won't flip my shit over a spoiler, but I like the experience a little better if I go in not knowing the ending or the BIG TWIST, at least

Even if I do figure it out myself halfway through

• Options
    Rock Lobster!Rock Lobster! Registered User regular
    Rosebud kills Dumbledore.

Steam | BNet: Eits#1367
  • Options
    While we're talking about Muad'Dib
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I will spoil small stuff for myself, like episodes of tv shows.

But if someone had spoiled any part of Harry Potter for me, I would have been so cross.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    spoiler: it's man

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I won't flip my shit over a spoiler, but I like the experience a little better if I go in not knowing the ending or the BIG TWIST, at least

Even if I do figure it out myself halfway through

Yeah I won't avoid seeing a thing if I've had it spoilt, but I definitely feel like it takes away from my enjoyment.

I've experienced this in HBO shows, and animu where I read the manga first, etc

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    turns out this guy broke his glasses and now he can't see that this book is a cookbook

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Look, all I'm saying is that Perfect Strangers was more enjoyable to watch in its entirety knowing that Balki and Mary Anne would resolve their differences and eventually get married.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I just watched a dev diary for a video game yesterday that had at least like 5 spoilers in it if you knew anything about the game. and I'm like "Really, guys, you decided to use that scene for this?

Huntera on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    How did I never notice that Stilgar is Ed Hurley from Twin Peaks

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I get where some people can go into a book/game/movie wanting a very native experience, with absolutely no spoilers whatsoever.

I am simply not one of those people. At worst spoilers do nothing for me, at best I actually enjoy it more, because I know what sorts of nuances to watch for.

That said, Fight Club-level twist endings can lose a lot when they're spoiled, so I understand that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    What I hate more is getting something spoiled when I don't know what the hell they're talking about

And then later I'm watching the thing in question and suddenly remember "Wait THIS guy is the one that gets killed soon?"

Okay that only happened like, once but it bummed me out.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I think what I hate more is going into a movie where I know nothing, predicting what will happen

AND THEN THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I predicted Shutter Island's ending from the trailer, it's one the reasons I didn't see the movie.

• Options
    the one spoiler that really really bugged me was finding out the mystery of sissel's identity in ghost trick before I played it

but it was alright, I guess, because there are a ton of other nice twists and reveals in that game

• Options
    Huntera wrote:
    I predicted Shutter Island's ending from the trailer, it's one the reasons I didn't see the movie.

Same.

I guessed the secret in Moon, but when I watched the movie I was pleased to find that the secret was revealed like 20 minutes in and the whole movie wasn't a build up to it.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This is good to know.

See, generally I sponge up spoilers. There are exceptions, things where I go "alright, for this, I go on blackout.", but generally?

Spoiler city.

And Moon is great in its attitude towards these things, yeah.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I really enjoy being surprised by twists and endings so I enjoy going into movies, books and games without knowing what will happen. If they're really well-written/acted then getting an ending detail spoiled doesn't upset me but I do get really upset when somebody ruins an ending without asking me. It waters-down the journey!

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote:
    turns out this guy broke his glasses and now he can't see that this book is a cookbook

Also, he was Hitler all along.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I find the study's empiricist delineation of narrative forms kind of gross.

• Options
    I find the study's empiricist delineation of narrative forms kind of gross.

This conclusion on your part was already spoiled for me though.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Gandalf is Magneto

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    put yo goddamn hand in the goddamn box o' pain

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I don't like spoilers because you only get to experience a book/movie/game/whatever for the first time once and I like to have that experience as the author/director/designer/whoever intended.

There are plenty of things I've enjoyed or appreciated more the 2nd or 3rd time through because I knew where it was going and could see how things were playing out, but that's what a rewatch or reread is for.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I don't really mind spoilers at all. And I'm so happy when I see people throw a hissyfit because of them. It makes more happy than seeing a rabbit.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    I had the Usual Suspects spoiled for me, and I'll tell you that decreased my enjoyment of the film.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    I definitely do not enjoy spoilers for movies or t.v. shows but a book might be different. I can't actually remember when I last read a book where i didn't at least have some idea of where it was going. Actually scratch that the book i was reading just before my current book was really enjoyable for its ability to surprise me and I am pretty sure would have been less enjoyable if I knew how it ended.

Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    If someone had spoiled the Strain for me, I could have thrown it out instantly.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Also, is Paul being Muad'Dib really a spoiler? I haven't read the book in a while, but I don't really remember it playing its cards particularly close to its chest.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Soylent green is people

Rosebud was a sled

The South didn't rise again

Sweeney Tom on