As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Jedi Academy - Server is back and stronger than you could possibly imagine!

IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Games and Technology
2q12J.jpg

What is Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy?

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is a first and third-person shooter action game by Raven Software set in the Star Wars universe, and powered by the Quake III: Team Arena engine. In the single player, the player takes control of the character Jaden Korr, a student at the Jedi Academy under the tutelage of Kyle Katarn. The player must complete various missions assigned to them by Kyle Katarn and Luke Skywalker. The story and single player is nowhere near as good as Jedi Outcast, but that's perfectly okay since we're all here to play the kickass multiplayer!

Story Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZu0aYR5k_Y

Where to buy Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Steam has Jedi Academy for the low price of $10!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6020/?snr=1_4_4__13

Playing Online with PA

Padawangs is the Penny Arcade Steam group for getting games together. All members have the ability to invite other PA'ers. We simply ask that you make sure that they are a contributing member of the forums before inviting.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/padawangs

Server Info:
DigitalSyn hosted the original server, but it was retired a while back due to cost. The new Padawangs Penny Arcade dedicated server is now back up on a new box and using the same config thanks to Corky. The server name is Padawangs and you can add it to your favorites by entering the following IP:
corkeh.us.to
pass: [standard PA pass]

We'll be using our private Teamspeak server for audio chat:
TS server name: finalack.com:9988
pass: [standard PA pass]

Server and Teampspeak status showing how many people are playing and who is on TS:
http://status.finalack.com/

b_560_95_1.png

Here's the final patch if you have the retail boxed version of Jedi Academy.
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Jedi_Knight_Academy_Patch_101;20459
* Steam users don't need to worry about patching since it's automatically updated through Steam.

To play on our server, you will need to download the following addons and install them in your base folder:

Official Bonus Map Pack from Raven - Adds 6 new maps to the rotation (4 FFA, 1 duel, 1 ctf)
http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=381

Jedi Outcast Multiplayer Maps for Jedi Academy:
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/JKII_ffa_pack.zip
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/JKII_ctf_pack.zip
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/JKII_duel_pack.zip

Clone Wars cartoon skin pack:
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Clone_Wars_Cartoon_Model_Pack;51924

OR:
I put them all up on our other server so you can grab everything directly from there:
http://finalack.com/Idol/jka_dl/

You should download and install these before you play next on the server. If you don't have the map packs it will boot you off with an error when one of the new maps comes up in rotation. If you don't have the skin pack then people who are using it will just show up with a random skin.

Any problems with the server should be directed to either myself or Corky.

The main rule of the server:

Dh8JV.jpg

Seriously, don't be a dick or a raging competitive asshole if you want to play with us. We play casually for fun, and we don't give new people shit. Period. We're all here to simply have fun fighting each other with laser swords.

Misc and Handy Stuff

How to set a custom resolution:

..\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jaconfig.cfg
and
..\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jampconfig.cfg
r_mode "-1"
r_customwidth "1920"
r_customheight "1080"

* NOTE: Steam users should be looking for those config files here:
..\steam\steamapps\common\jedi academy\GameData\base\

How to enable dismemberment:

Add the following lines in ..\base\autoexec.cfg

seta cg_dismember "999"
seta g_saberrealisticcombat "2"
seta dismemberment "100"
seta g_sabermorerealistic "2"
seta g_corpseremovaltime "0"
seta g_knockback "1000"

Custom Skins:
http://www.dgs-clan.eu/content/jka-models.htm

If you're a Star Wars fan you may also want to check out the Penny Arcade Star Wars Battlefront 2 game on thread as well!
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/144239/

Jedi Academy Game On Pics

IdolNinja vs Drake in Carbon Freezing Chamber

PCIBs.jpg
fCitq.jpg

IdolNinja on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My brother worships Jedi Outcast / Jedi Academy.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    I'd enjoy cauterizing some limbs.

I wasn't half bad as Jedi Outcast MP, but I imagine saberin' aint the same in Academy. Whatever happened to just running around with the light-swing on, huh? Kids and their double-sabers and dual-wielding. You're gonna lose an eye that way!

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Don't you mean Star Wars Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy?

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I might get in on this. I loved JKII's multiplayer, but never messed with JA outside of the demo.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    This game was so much fun multi, especially the duel mode.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jedi Outcast was excellent. I loved it.

Jedi Academy had excellent gameplay. The story was awful, though. Like "I'm embarrassed to play this with other people in the room" bad.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Idol, you just started a motherfucking Star Wars.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ha-ha managed to find this, it was only in the very last possible box it could be in too! Need to remember to cram it into my JK2 collectors edition tin next time.

I should really finish unpacking one of these days, maybe in another year. :P

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I played so much JK II and JA multiplayer. Man, was that fun. Even on the shitty game modes.

I loved the duel mode in JK II. In the early days of online play (at least on the servers that I played), it was customary to crouch and move the POV down, to simulate a bow to the opponent as a sign of respect. I remember when some douche tried to bum-rush me while bowing, and I stood up and cleanly sliced one of his limbs off. All the spectators were quite amused by this, and the guy was so ashamed he logged off. That same session had a double kill with two Jedis wall-running toward each other (I was spectating at the time). Man, I wish I had recording software back then.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I am so down for this.

Downloading now.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Someone is going to ask this, so I will just leave this here;
    LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jaconfig.cfg
    and
    LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jampconfig.cfg
    r_mode "-1"
    r_customwidth "1920"
    r_customheight "1080"

Morkath on
  • Options
    Morkath wrote:
    r_mode -1
    r_customwidth 1920
    r_customheight 1080

Yup!

• Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    It's rather incredible how different the whole Dark Forces is. The crazy thing is that they're all incredibly fun to play. The original Dark Forces is still a real hoot, no idea why they haven't polished it up and thrown it on XBLA/PSN.

Jedi Knight's sense of scale is unsurpassed, Mysteries of the Sith does all sorts of nifty things, Jedi Outcast offers fantastic opportunities to dick around, and Academy just goes nuts with new features.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Good site to find skins;
    http://www.dgs-clan.eu/content/jka-models.htm

e:
    They are installed to \LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base

Morkath on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I played through Dark Forces and Jedi Knight just a couple months back. Just an absolute blast. Mysteries of the Sith on the other hand, egh. The gameplay had some extra polish, but the stage design was atrocious. Plus, without the awesomely cheesy live action cutscenes it just wasn't worth it. Outcast I loved when I played some of it years back, but getting it to run on a modern setup has proven harder than it was for Jedi Knight.

Anyway, I missed out on Academy multiplayer in its heyday, so this is just an awesome thing to get going.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I remember the good ole days of JKII online. Then the Saberist's Code faggots went and ruined everything :(.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Man steam has spoiled me, totally forgot about patching the game;
    For those with hard disc version;
    http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Jedi_Knight_Academy_Patch_101;20459

• Options
    Morkath wrote:
    and
    LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\base\jampconfig.cfg
    r_mode "-1"
    r_customwidth "1920"
    r_customheight "1080"

If you set this for the MP config, you won't be able to host a listen server (It will crash with an uninformative error message), so you will need to use the dedicated server program to play locally.
    http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/JK3_Dedicated_Server_for_WIn32_1011;20491

• Options
    SightTDW wrote:
    I played through Dark Forces and Jedi Knight just a couple months back. Just an absolute blast. Mysteries of the Sith on the other hand, egh. The gameplay had some extra polish, but the stage design was atrocious. Plus, without the awesomely cheesy live action cutscenes it just wasn't worth it. Outcast I loved when I played some of it years back, but getting it to run on a modern setup has proven harder than it was for Jedi Knight.

Anyway, I missed out on Academy multiplayer in its heyday, so this is just an awesome thing to get going.

I played Dark Forces and Jedi Knight back to back a few months ago. Dark Forces was great, but I had trouble enjoying JK. After jumping through hoops to get ahold of the music and make it play, I found out that Windows Vista refuses to play redbook audio on a loop. I think I got tired of fiddling with it shortly after getting the lightsaber.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    No. Please. No.

If there is one video game that I have sunk an embarrassing amount of time in, it is JO/JA. And I can't resist it.

I was in the clan scene for a while. Ffffff. Here we go again.

• Options
    OwlbatOwlbat Registered User regular
    Laserswords are cool. I will join the lasersword fights.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm voting for movie battles II, because it adds jedi and infantry stuff.

Plus it apparently has some sub mods for aliens and ninja turtles.

So really if you don't vote for MBII you may be a fun hating communist.

e:
    You should also make sure to get this skin pack, because holy crap is it awesome.
    http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Clone_Wars_Cartoon_Model_Pack;51924

Morkath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    Yeah I saw the cartoon pack and it really does look awesome.

I always regretting never getting into JA back when the movie battles thing was new. I'd love to try it out though.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Hmm only concern for MBII is the fact it has limited lives per round, which can suck with small # of players.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That they kept the cel-shading for the models is awesome!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SlothmanSlothman Registered User regular
    I thought JKA was a fantastic game, the best light saber combat system of any of the jedi games. Though it takes some practice. Watching that video though, I don't remember most of it hah. Definitely don't remember the rancor scene. I'm pretty sure I beat the game.

MMO Game Journals
    Slothman's Home Tree
  • Options
    It definitely suffers when you get down to the mechanics of how the combat works. Then again, every multiplayer game has that problem.

When you get into saber fights with jerks who set their yaw to a hojillion and just wiggle after every swing, spamming katas when force allows, it just becomes downright retarded. Single saber fo' lyfe.

• Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    Oh God, I want in on this so much. I love JO/JA and I have had a steady hate for Lucasarts/Activision for not having a current gen update to the series.
    But then again, that might be a good thing that there is none for fear that it may be Call of Duty-fied

• Options
    When you get into saber fights with jerks who set their yaw to a hojillion and just wiggle after every swing, spamming katas when force allows, it just becomes downright retarded.

One of the reason I enjoy playing with PA'ers is that retarded shit like this never happens.

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Aw, man. This could be the event that finally forces me to fix my PC's sound problems. Any chance that the server is running with settings that make lightsabers more lethal?

Also, anybody here from the old ChopShopServers days? Those were some of my favorite gaming memories.

• Options
    Single saber fo' lyfe.

Hi5! Though my preference comes from JKII nostalgia. I'm not really sure what the technical differences between saber types are.

Oh God, I want in on this so much. I love JO/JA and I have had a steady hate for Lucasarts/Activision for not having a current gen update to the series.
    But then again, that might be a good thing that there is none for fear that it may be Call of Duty-fied

Modders already have that base covered. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4S0t-46ppI

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    Aw, man. This could be the event that finally forces me to fix my PC's sound problems. Any chance that the server is running with settings that make lightsabers more lethal?

Also, anybody here from the old ChopShopServers days? Those were some of my favorite gaming memories.

I got the server up yesterday but it's still vanilla. I'm going to be running it this way for at least a week to make sure it's stable before messing with any changes. I would really like it if people start hopping on and playing some multi games this week to stress test it.

Everything is up for discussion regarding map/modes/settings since I'm not familiar with anything beyond vanilla. I'm open to trying out just about anything and seeing what works and what doesn't.

• Options
    IdolNinja wrote:
    When you get into saber fights with jerks who set their yaw to a hojillion and just wiggle after every swing, spamming katas when force allows, it just becomes downright retarded.

One of the reason I enjoy playing with PA'ers is that retarded shit like this never happens.

I am excited. I want to see just how rusty I am. I'm betting pretty damned rusty.
    AaronKI wrote:
    Single saber fo' lyfe.

Hi5! Though my preference comes from JKII nostalgia. I'm not really sure what the technical differences between saber types are.

I come from the JK2 days as well, so that's probably why. So glad they nerfed the shit out of the JK2 "DFA" strong saber move in JKA.

As for the differences between types, the dual sabers can switch between the dualies and single saber light stance. It's primarily good for getting up close with swift attacks. Saber staff is a little more refined, being able to toggle between the two blades and single saber medium stance.

I much prefer using the strong stance. Feels more badass than trying to poke for 5 damage.

• Options
    I'll try to jump on later this evening. What's the stance on using force powers? Is everything fair game as long as you don't interfere with a duel, or are there unspoken "don't use lightning on the guy you're fighting" rules? I was never part of the greater multiplayer scene back in the day. Mostly just goofed around with friends on terrible maps we made.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKI wrote:
    I'll try to jump on later this evening. What's the stance on using force powers? Is everything fair game as long as you don't interfere with a duel, or are there unspoken "don't use lightning on the guy you're fighting" rules? I was never part of the greater multiplayer scene back in the day. Mostly just goofed around with friends on terrible maps we made.

As far as I'm concerned, using force powers is fine; including lightning. If I want them off then I can turn them off at the server. If they are on, then it's fair game. Everyone should consider this a casual server to have fun on and not some uber competitive thing.

An exception to this would be like modifying your yaw and doing that wiggle bullshit. That's clearly disregarding the golden rule on the server: Don't Be A Dick.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    I played Jedi Outcast for countless hundreds of hours. I have no idea how I persisted so long with that one game--modding, playing, going back and modding some more, importing character models and skins... the time just slipped away. Had a single cylindrical room set up to spawn boatloads of sith for me to disembowel and de-limb, complete with Vader at the end who had a removable helmet (instead of just chopping his head off) and mechanical innards when chopped anywhere else. Twas awesome. Plus, lightsabres were deadly with the mod I used, and limbs always decoupled when contact was made. If there had been some way to incorporate rag-doll like physics into the game on the Q3 engine, by god, it would have been the best Jedi game ever.

That said, I tried playing Jedi Academy, and it just didn't click. Like, at all. I naively thought that in the inclusion of staff and double sabre setups would be a boon to the series. But I really didn't like how they were designed, to be honest. Nothing about the game grabbed me in any way, and the daunting task of bringing a lot of the mods I enjoyed so much about Outcast into Academy just turned me right off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    IdolNinja wrote:
    AaronKI wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, using force powers is fine; including lightning. If I want them off then I can turn them off at the server. If they are on, then it's fair game. Everyone should consider this a casual server to have fun on and not some uber competitive thing.

An exception to this would be like modifying your yaw and doing that wiggle bullshit. That's clearly disregarding the golden rule on the server: Don't Be A Dick.

I consider myself a light saber snob and prefer not to use force powers other than pull/push but that was when I did competitive duels. But I will fry a bitch if those Jedi don't quit blowin' up my DeathStar.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    I'm in agreement with DigitalSyn, but there isn't really anything wrong with having them enabled and just agreeing before a duel not to use them.

There's just something about force powers in duels that makes it...I don't know, less fun. Saber fights are, when not cheesed, all about precision and timing. Adding Choke and Lightning into the mix kind of cheapens it. Though, nothing was more satisfying than dueling on the landing platform on JK2's Bespin and herding your opponent near the edge and either pushing or choking him off the side.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This was the best game

And people who play without force powers probably also play Fox Only/Final Destination

Nah just kidding

But seriously it's still fun with force powers