As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil 4: You're Small Time

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I cant use the Red9. I just cant. I'm too dang American, I have to use the revolver.

In other news, I'm out of magnum ammo, so I have to use the knife.

Actually, it's German.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I cant use the Red9. I just cant. I'm too dang American, I have to use the revolver.

So, which handgun do you use? I mean there aren't nearly enough magnum bullets in the game to use the Broken Butterfly instead of any of the handguns.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    paco_pepe wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »
    hehehe
    wiki spinel

wikipedia lies!! spinels are, in fact, NOT sold for a high price!!. :x

hehe, I did that

LewieP on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Davor wrote: »
    Check out the parasites they list, besides the las plagas of course, they're all real and creepy as hell.

Here are some videos of the parasites or similar to those that were mentioned in the game

ant parasite
    snail parasite
    cricket parasite

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I finally got this back from my no-good friends. I'm trying to play on Pro. It's so hard. I had to keep doing the starting village attack over and over and retrain myself. I'm starting to learn that it's better to blow through a bit of ammo (especially grenades) in order to keep my life bar up.

Any tips, guys? This will be my first run where I use the Red 9. Should I buy the rifle when it first appears? Should I drop the handgun for the free Punisher?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Any tips, guys? This will be my first run where I use the Red 9. Should I buy the rifle when it first appears? Should I drop the handgun for the free Punisher?

Sell the starting handgun when you get the Punisher and sell the Punisher when you get the Red 9. Buying the first rifle is purley a personal choice, but it does make everything up to Mendez a lot easier. You will get the auto rifle in the castle anyway, so if you think you are good enough to take down your enemies at medium range and risking a bit of health, skip the first rifle. the game prefectly doable on Pro without buying or upgrading any guns though, tough but doable. My best tip is to go nuts with ammo, you will hardly ever be sort on any kind of ammo when you need it, the only places I ran out of ammo in my Pro no merchant run was fighting 'It' and if you don't upgrade your guns, you NEED at least three magnum bullets to stop the truck every time in the van chase.

Aside from those sections you can use any guns you like and not worry about ammo.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Use the Handgun till you get the Punisher. If you got all 15 medallions and the Punisher's firepower is 1.1, then sell the Handgun; otherwise sell the Punisher. Either way, don't upgrade either and just wait for the Red9.

Debate rages about when/whether to buy a rifle. Some wait for the semi-auto, some never buy one at all, some get the bolt-action and then sell it when the semi-auto becomes available, and some stick with the bolt-action the entire game.

If you can't decide, just wait for the semi-auto and buy that. A decent middle-of-the-road approach, and you end up with a rifle for regenerators while saving a bit of cash.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Use the Handgun till you get the Punisher. If you got all 15 medallions and the Punisher's firepower is 1.1, then sell the Handgun; otherwise sell the Punisher. Either way, don't upgrade either and just wait for the Red9.

Debate rages about when/whether to buy a rifle. Some wait for the semi-auto, some never buy one at all, some get the bolt-action and then sell it when the semi-auto becomes available, and some stick with the bolt-action the entire game.

If you can't decide, just wait for the semi-auto and buy that. A decent middle-of-the-road approach, and you end up with a rifle for regenerators while saving a bit of cash.

Remember though, you don't actually need to buy ANY new guns to beat the game, so it really is a matter of personal taste. I presonally like the TMP so I love buying that and upgrading it to full, then using it in nearly every situation. Any situation in the game can be handled with enough creativity, for example, the entire cabin scene and the trip down the ski-lift thing can be gotten through completley sefley by just using the knife.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I finally got this back from my no-good friends. I'm trying to play on Pro. It's so hard. I had to keep doing the starting village attack over and over and retrain myself. I'm starting to learn that it's better to blow through a bit of ammo (especially grenades) in order to keep my life bar up.

Drop the handgun for the free upgraded Punisher, drop the Punisher the second the Red 9 + Stock is available. Upgrade that bad boy as much as possible, you want it upgraded all the way ASAP. There are a couple situations where you will probably want to have the rifle, though all situations that require sniping are completely doable with the Red 9 + Stock that might not be something you want to try doing on Pro. Grab the rifle, but don't bother upgrading it. Ditch it for the Semi-Auto as soon as that becomes available. If you are going to upgrade the Semi-Auto at all, upgrade the firing speed and capacity... the power doesn't really matter much because head shots = dead 99% of the time anyways. After your Red 9 is maxed out, you will want to concentrate on upgrading your shotty anyways. Speaking of which, hold on to the shotgun you find in the Village and upgrade it now and then when you feel it isn't performing well enough. Sell it and buy the Striker as soon as that becomes available. Do your best to upgrade that bad boy all the way if you've got your Red 9 fully upgraded. High firepower + 99 shell capacity = priceless for PRO mode.

Don't bother buying a magnum. Just pick up the free Broken Butterfly hidden in the castle. Upgrade it when you need magnum shells (when you upgrade the capacity, you also get reloaded with free rounds).

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

Remember though, you don't actually need to buy ANY new guns to beat the game, so it really is a matter of personal taste. I presonally like the TMP so I love buying that and upgrading it to full, then using it in nearly every situation. Any situation in the game can be handled with enough creativity, for example, the entire cabin scene and the trip down the ski-lift thing can be gotten through completley sefley by just using the knife.

Yeah, my advice really only applies to a game played with the Red9.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I honestly think the first shotgun is my favorite shotty. It saved my ass so many times on that no merch pro run. I know the Riot gun is technially a better shotty but I'v just got a love for the origonal shotty as I know that's the only shotgun I need to kick ass with.

Plus the final upgrade kicks ass.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I remembered this game thanks to this thread and went and set up my Game Cube downstairs again. I was playing through again with the Typewriter and on Pro difficulty. I put the controller down a year ago because I was totally horribly stuck in a horrible room filled with tons and tons and tons of guys in the castle.

Anyways- it appears that during my move, the RE4 case came open and the first disc slipped out and got all scratched and now I can't continue from where I was.

Already did assignment ada..

so ive been killing it in the Mercinaries mini game.

What an intense mini game.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That reminds me... I've been meaning to do a low-tech run.

But I've got Paper Mario TTYD in my backlog yet.... hm..

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ive got Paper Mario in the backlog too- and its one of my only other game cube games that didn't get all scratched up.

All my games are fubar pretty much.

Im kinda pissed actually because I can't play games on PC anymore due to it being filled to the tits with raw video data and media aps.

:(

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just got this a little while ago, and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it, though I wish head shots were a bit easier (most of the time they just real back and hold their heads). I have gotten pretty low on ammo a few times so far. Do you ever get to buy ammo? Also, about how long is the game?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Cmon', try a no merchant pro run, it's awesome fun. I can honestly say the game feels so much like the origonal Resident Evil games as you really have to watch your handgun ammo, run away a lot and bosses are a lot more fun, especially Salazar. You really learn some new tactics and generally get better at the game. I probably would have found Krauser a helluva lot tougher if I hadn't run out of ammo before fighting him and had to use my knife. the game is a lot more intense and fun if you play it this way, I probably couldn't go back to doing an all weapons run again. Maybe a fully upgraded pistol run, maybe.

Oh god, fighting an Iron Maiden with the shittiest weapons in the game :D good times.

I just got this a little while ago, and I'm having quite a bit of fun with it, though I wish head shots were a bit easier (most of the time they just real back and hold their heads). I have gotten pretty low on ammo a few times so far. Do you ever get to buy ammo? Also, about how long is the game?

When they are reeling back, run up to them and kick them. Your first run will probably take around 16-18 hours or so? My runs started getting to around 15 or 12 hours after that.

No, you can't buy ammo either, aside from buying rocket Launchers and upgrading your guns restocks the ammo in them.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

When they are reeling back, run up to them and kick them. Your first run will probably take around 16-18 hours or so? My runs started getting to around 15 or 12 hours after that.

No, you can't buy ammo either, aside from buying rocket Launchers and upgrading your guns restocks the ammo in them.

I know about running up and kicking them, but I just can't seem to get my fingers to do that quick enough. I get there and they're up and ready to hit me again. I guess I just have to keep on trying. (I have been pretty much nothing but an RPG guy with few exceptions until recently)

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm glad I brought this thread back to life. I'm giving it a little break before diving in again.

Also, it's been raining all day, and the power went out while I was playing...right as I was saving. I was really freaked out as the game was rebooting, thinking about my whole memory card being wiped out. Thankfully, everything was perfectly fine. Whew.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I know about running up and kicking them, but I just can't seem to get my fingers to do that quick enough. I get there and they're up and ready to hit me again. I guess I just have to keep on trying. (I have been pretty much nothing but an RPG guy with few exceptions until recently)

You might have more success shooting your enemies in the knees/shins--enemies don't tend to flail around after leg shots like they do after head shots, making it easier to follow up.

If you hit them in the sweet spot in the leg, you can do a followup melee attack (either a side kick or a suplex) just like after a headshot. If you don't, then they usually just fall on the ground anyway, so you win either way.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The best way to keep from running out of ammo is to make use of the knife and melee attacks. Also, when possible, use your surroundings to your advantage; for instance, if there's a dynamite tripline and some enemies in the distance, lure them over. (They'll walk right into them.)

The knife is especially useful if you only have one enemy; knock them down, then knife them repeatedly while they're on the ground.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Cmon', try a no merchant pro run, it's awesome fun. I can honestly say the game feels so much like the origonal Resident Evil games as you really have to watch your handgun ammo, run away a lot and bosses are a lot more fun, especially Salazar. You really learn some new tactics and generally get better at the game. I probably would have found Krauser a helluva lot tougher if I hadn't run out of ammo before fighting him and had to use my knife. the game is a lot more intense and fun if you play it this way, I probably couldn't go back to doing an all weapons run again. Maybe a fully upgraded pistol run, maybe.

Oh god, fighting an Iron Maiden with the shittiest weapons in the game :D good times.

No merchant pro run? With nothing but the un-upgraded hand gun you start out with? That is craziness.

EDIT: Duh... I totally forgot you pick up a shotgun and magnum without the merchant.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Sell the starting handgun when you get the Punisher and sell the Punisher when you get the Red 9. Buying the first rifle is purley a personal choice, but it does make everything up to Mendez a lot easier. You will get the auto rifle in the castle anyway, so if you think you are good enough to take down your enemies at medium range and risking a bit of health, skip the first rifle. the game prefectly doable on Pro without buying or upgrading any guns though, tough but doable. My best tip is to go nuts with ammo, you will hardly ever be sort on any kind of ammo when you need it, the only places I ran out of ammo in my Pro no merchant run was fighting 'It' and if you don't upgrade your guns, you NEED at least three magnum bullets to stop the truck every time in the van chase.

Aside from those sections you can use any guns you like and not worry about ammo.

Going nuts with ammo also depends whether you have the PAL version or not. If I play on Pro I usually score a solid 90%+ accuracy in each chapter. I use my knife as often as possible. I upgrade ammo capacity when my gun is empty and yet I still have ammo problems throughout the entire game.

My main problem is that I horde grenades. I often find myself with 20+ of them. D:

Isorn on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I saw the PC version in a few stores today. Anyone tried it out? I'm interested how it works on PC (controls wise, and how it looks)

-SPI- on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I saw the PC version in a few stores today. Anyone tried it out? I'm interested how it works on PC (controls wise, and how it looks)
    General consensus seems to be that if it was any worse it would actually be a crime against humanity, ranking right up there with genocide on the 'just how bad is it?' meter.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    General consensus seems to be that if it was any worse it would actually be a crime against humanity, ranking right up there with genocide on the 'just how bad is it?' meter.

If you want to know why it garners so much hate it is because it is a very awful port. They removed all the graphical effects like the fog and lighting so you end up with a game that looks... brown. That's all it is brown you can't even get a sense of depth it's so bad. Also like the PS2 port instead of recoding new cutscenes in the new graphics engine they used the old ones recorded for the GCN but they take a lot of space on the computer. Get a GCN or PS2 and this game and skip out on the PC game altogether.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Played some more Pro today. The section right after the first merchant was killer. I finally figured out a good plan of attack, it just took me a long time. I stopped once I got the Punisher.

Enemies do way too much damage. I'll be handling six of them fine, and then the one furthest away will one-shot me with a tossed weapon. Also, the lunging pitchfork animation is near impossible to stop with a handgun. :(

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Someone took a shit in a box and wrote 4 RESIDENT EVIL on it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Played some more Pro today. The section right after the first merchant was killer. I finally figured out a good plan of attack, it just took me a long time. I stopped once I got the Punisher.

Enemies do way too much damage. I'll be handling six of them fine, and then the one furthest away will one-shot me with a tossed weapon. Also, the lunging pitchfork animation is near impossible to stop with a handgun. :(

Hint: If you are playing on Pro, handling six at a time is a really good way to get your ass killed. Lure them away from crowds if at all possible. I can't even begin to guess how many times I died to thrown axes on my first Pro run, so my only comment there is that you should just keep moving at all times.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    for those who have done knife-only runs, how the hell do you survive the cabin siege?? (zombies commin' up the hell right now!!!)

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    for those who have done knife-only runs, how the hell do you survive the cabin siege?? (zombies commin' up the hell right now!!!)
    "Knife-only"?

That's... pretty much impossible.

If nothing else, there's several bosses which can't be hurt with the knife (Salazar comes to mind).

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I assume that means you use the knife only, until you come up against something you absolutely have to shoot. Like the drill-monks, trucks, etc.

I guess I'm just used to being able to take care of large groups with just the handgun at the beginning. If I take a hit or two, it wouldn't hurt too bad. Now, though...one stab and I'm halfway dead...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pretty sure you're supposed to use grenades on things you have to shoot.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I would just like to add that the suplex is the single greatest thing in any video game, ever.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

During the cabin seige I was standing in the corner on the bottom floor, wildily swinging my knife for about 5 munites straight. That crazy knife swinging kept every Ganado at bay until they gave up and wandered off. You CAN get through the entire village chapter by only firing 3 bullets to drop the crates in the river. I'm up to Mendez on my knife only run at the moment.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Whenever I try to knife enemies that are standing, they just float out of range after one swing, and then immediately take a free swing at me that somehow goes right between swings every time. Meh.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Whenever I try to knife enemies that are standing, they just float out of range after one swing, and then immediately take a free swing at me that somehow goes right between swings every time. Meh.

Turn the tables on them, let them swing at you by walking into their attack range, step back and when they are recovering from their attack give them a facefull of slashy goodness.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes. If there's one thing Pro's taught me, it's to be very careful.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Turn the tables on them, let them swing at you by walking into their attack range, step back and when they are recovering from their attack give them a facefull of slashy goodness.

If you can time it right you can hit every melee attacker bar those with pitchforks whilst they're swinging.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I booted it up again today, because it's storming. It fit.

I think I've gotten well into the groove. The Punisher seemed to help a bit. I got through the swampy area and Del Lago with minimal death. I can't believe I failed a button mashing event. I think it was because I had literally no life left.

I ripped El Gigante a new one, though. Usually he tears into me pretty good, I just can't figure out how to dodge him very well. But, this time, I had the dog on my side. I also had plenty of shotgun shells and flash grenades. He got one lucky hit in on me when he should have been paying attention to the dog. But he didn't go for the tree, and he didn't even knock over the buildings. Prizes galore.

I saved and quit right after buying the Red 9 and TMP. I got the stock for the Red 9, but couldn't fit one for the TMP. I usually buy that one...but, do you think I'll need the stock at all? I might end up selling the TMP back after the big cheese if I don't use it very often.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I booted it up again today, because it's storming. It fit.

I think I've gotten well into the groove. The Punisher seemed to help a bit. I got through the swampy area and Del Lago with minimal death. I can't believe I failed a button mashing event. I think it was because I had literally no life left.
    Yeah, the ones for Del Lago get harder as you lose health.

Elendil on