As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

University/College Advice

vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've run into a bit of a crisis and I need some help making a decision. Currently I'm going to the University of Western Ontario and I've finished my first year and I'm about to go into my second. My current degree is a Major in History with a Minor in English. I enjoy the subjects and have always been good at them in school. I like to learn about them. However, my Dad and I have recently had a discussion to determine whether or not it's the best path for me. For the past two summers I've worked in museums and always sort of thought I would do my BA, then do a Masters in Archival/Library Sciences. The goal would be to be a curator/archivist.

Lately, I've been thinking more about leaving University and instead going to College (like Metalworks in Mississauga) for Sound Design. I've always had a passion for music and with sound training I could work in music studios, on video games, on movies etc. It sounds more exciting, is only a two year program, would put me in less debt after it was done and with the current job market, possibly easier to find a job. I'm wondering how the job market is for the two fields I'm interested in I guess.

For context, my sister has done 5 years of schooling and is a certified teacher and for a year and half now she hasn't found a job. My concern is an arts degree means much less now and I might be going to school for five years to end up doing something I might not enjoy as much and a field that would be harder to a job in, with more student debt too.

On the other hand, I really like University and the city and the school, all of my friends and my ladyfriend is there and it would be hard to suddenly just bail on it all. I'm also interested in doing an exchange for a year which is something I couldn't do with the college. I really want to finish my History degree but it seems sort of redundant to get a degree I might not need if I change my mind then go to college. Unless having a university degree would help me get a job/better pay.

My final concern is, while I am passionate about sound and quite tech-savvy, I haven't had any thorough training or anything with it. I'm afraid I might be horrible at it and fail.

TL;DR: I'm trying to choose between University (History/Library Sciences) and College (Sound Engineering). So any advice/wisdom you guys can share is very appreciated.

Sob24Nm.png
Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
vegeta_666 on

• Options
    Chiral_SpiralChiral_Spiral Registered User regular
    My brother did some History and majored in English. He applied for a BA grant and was only competing with one other person for it, so top positions in fields like that seem to be fairly easy to get into if you've got good grades (although this was in Ireland, I don't know how that compares to America).

It's a difficult decision, but my instinct would be to go with what you know you enjoy and are good at over something you have no knowledge of. If getting a job as an archivist or curator is a realistic goal, it seems like that would be the safest bet.

From my own experience at University and listening to friends who went through the same stuff, I think everyone goes through a period where they think some other course would be easier/ suit them better.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    One of the biggest things to remember is that a BA (less a BS) undergrad degree doesn't correlate, directly, to what you do with the rest of your life. The exception will be a highly specialized/technical/vocational degree. Most employers aren't looking at exactly what you studied, but at your degree and honors, etc.. Further, undergrad education really only matters much for those first few jobs for which you'll have to hope that it will take the place of some work history. You want to go to the best school you can and study something that will allow you to be passionate and achieve the highest honors you are able.

I know so many people my age (mid to late twenties) who got degrees in one thing and are now doing something totally different and surprising. My own undergrad degree was in English and Religious Studies. I now work and have been successful in legal finance. I would have never guessed.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Exactly. The degree, unfortunately, is more of a formality than any real barometer for where you will end up. The important thing is to make connections, get internships, and demonstrate that you have real skills. I wouldn't rush into getting your Master's degree, either. Nobody will hire a candidate for a Master's level position with only internship experience, which means you'll be working at a job you would have been considered for with just an undergraduate degree, but have all the loans from grad school.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Stop studying the past, become an engineer, create the future.

I can't comment on Canada, but right now Library/Museum type jobs in the US are getting hammered because the recession/housing collapse is killing city government revenues. My GF just graduated from Library school, and was lucky enough to get the 3rd job she applied for. It was one of only a handful she had found in 6+ months of looking.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    First, a hello from your fellow alumni! I went to Western and Graduated in the BACS program (Now called the Management and Organization Studies) I can understand why you miss the town (Bar King Frog, Rideout, Club Mansion... ) but the most important question is: Do you like what you are current studying? If you are going into another area of study, are you sure that's what you are interested in doing? I've seen many people made the mistake of entering into a program and found out they have no interest in it and either take years to finish it, blew a lot of cash and waste years of their youth to get into another field (and spend years paying off OSAP), or just plainly dropped out.

If what you want to do and the program you are doing now has some resemblance you can see if transfer credit applies. That would mean you won't have to take some courses again. Seeing that you are trying to transfer from History to Sound engineering that seems somewhat unlikely however. You can still call Metal Work of Mississauga, talk to their student office and ask. It won't do any harm.

The current job market isn't to good in Canada, but it isn't too bad either. My advise for you is to not worry about getting a job now and just focus on finishing your degree and getting good grades. It'll be at lest two years before you finish your degree and who knows what the job market will be like then, or what jobs will be in demand? It would be super if you can somehow assist your prof in their research and get your name on a paper. Having a degree is always a point in consideration in the hiring process because going to university isn't suppose to teach you the technical stuff, but to teach youth these days how to critically think!

As another posted as advised above, the things you studying in your undergrad isn't necessarily the field you'll end up with. My friend was in the History program in York and he ended up being a Lawyer. Even in the field of history there's more jobs then being a curator/archivist (Anthough having dark lore, and the ability to cast any cleric spell with int score does kick ass)

Personally I think your dad just misses you likewise you miss Toronto. There's nothing to be missed about Toronto. Toronto Sucks! I think what you need to do is to find out what you really want to do, and then find the most efficient walk to get there.

P.S. A a few years the baby boomer's kids will have kids of their own and will grow up enough to go to school. Demand for teachers will pick up so don't worry about your sister's situation too much. Also teaching english abroad is also a hugely in demand if that's her thing.

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    As another posted as advised above, the things you studying in your undergrad isn't necessarily the field you'll end up with. My friend was in the History program in York and he ended up being a Lawyer.

Exactly. My good friend has a degree in Mathematics from Barnard and then went to Lewis & Clark for law school (which she is now practicing).