As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    I love how people are telling me that I've never been to a mall, a hospital or worked retail and they somehow know that without even knowing my god damn name.

Thomas, is it Thomas?

I feel like you would be a Thomas. I have no evidence to support my conclusions.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Just stumbled across this and I'm starting to think we have a new dark horse for game of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-dCkEa4rGU&feature=player_embedded

Hahahaha my god.

Someone needs to slow the video down to 50% and add My Pony by Ginuwine.

The part that amazes me is the amount of stats on screen. It's a horse, what are you tracking? Gallops per minute? Horse attitude meter?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, this was inevitable.
    Available for Modern Warfare 3's November 8 launch, the console pack will include the redecorated Xbox 360 with two matching controllers and a copy of the game. Like the Kinect Star Wars bundle, it will also feature some custom sounds for when the system is powered on or off, and when the disc tray is ejected. The $400 bundle will also include one free month of Xbox Live Gold, and exclusive items for Xbox Live avatars.

Microsoft is also releasing a pair of Modern Warfare 3-themed accessories to be sold separately. The hardware bundle controllers will be sold on their own for $60, and a Modern Warfare 3-themed Bluetooth wireless headset will also be available for $70. Both will come packed with codes for unspecified but exclusive downloads.

m3xbox360_78315_screen.jpg

Speaking of which, something vaguely interesting actually happened at the CoD convention:
    That changed during the keynote address at today's Call of Duty XP fan convention, as Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg confirmed full-year access to the premium tier of Elite would cost $50. Though Elite will have a free component, paid subscribers will get a number of perks, including access to all pieces of downloadable content released for the game. These will be delivered on a monthly basis. The DLC on its own will cost a total of $60, Hirshberg said.

There will be multiple ways to sign up for Elite, but perhaps the simplest is to purchase the Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition. The $100 package will include the game, an Elite membership, and lifetime founder status in the service.

Premium Elite members will also be able to participate in competitions for prizes of both the real and virtual sort. For example, Activision is giving away a Call of Duty special edition Jeep to one player in the Call of Duty Elite beta. Paid members can also level-up clans and receive eight times more video-capture capacity. They'll also receive video content including strategy and analysis from some of the best competitive players in the world, as well as the Elite TV episodic content from talent like Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, and directors Ridley and Tony Scott.

http://www.gamespot.com/events/codxp2011/story.html?sid=6332574&tag=topstory;title

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oooh, I do like Gob and Michael Bluth.

Not enough to fork over dough for an elite membership though...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    That 360 looks like the console equivalent of "pre-worn" jeans. And like pre-worn jeans, I just don't "get" it. But then again, it's not "for" me, I guess.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Heh, it'd be funny if they made $Texas off the "Hardened Edition" up front, and then found that, like, 8 people were actually paying per month, with everyone else being in on the founders thing.

Of course, those deals have burned people in the past; see Hellgate: London, which I believe didn't even make a full year, and actually cost those early adopters more in the long run than if they'd just payed month to month.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Oooh, I do like Gob and Michael Bluth.

Not enough to fork over dough for an elite membership though...

There's always money in the Hardened Edition man.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Of course, those deals have burned people in the past; see Hellgate: London, which I believe didn't even make a full year, and actually cost those early adopters more in the long run than if they'd just payed month to month.

As long as the 18 to 32 male demographic exists I don't think cowadootie is going to disappear.

• Options
    The ultimate Modern Warfare 3 experience is getting pretty expensive considering the bundle, the themed Bluetooth wireless headset, and the amount of Mountain Dew and Doritos you would need to ensure a steady flow of double experience points.

That all makes for a lot of spending, charging, chugging, snacking, shit talking, and shooting, but you would certainly get to do a lot of pwning.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Sorry to backtrack a bit, but the Deus Ex racism thing is damn stupid. I mean, the most evil character in the game is white, your most loyal friend is arabic, your morally grey but still fairly likable boss appears to be of mixed race, a black cop is one of the few competent members of the DPD, and Jensen himself is a Ferro-American.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Sorry to backtrack a bit, but the Deus Ex racism thing is damn stupid. I mean, the most evil character in the game is white, your most loyal friend is arabic, your morally grey but still fairly likable boss appears to be of mixed race, a black cop is one of the few competent members of the DPD, and Jensen himself is a Ferro-American.

As I said earlier, racism, perceived racism, and the reactions to both are rarely possessed of any great logic. If you look hard enough, you'll find something offensive in everything. And portraying a stereotype, no matter how accurate or what context, will generate complaints.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    A little late on this, but Super Meat Boy started out as a flash game.

So as far as I'm concerned they're ok in my book.

• Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Interesting to see Zynga take baby steps in making their games more complex, but having every single damn action tied to energy/coins just makes it scream "microtransaction."

Argh, I'm debating whether or not to give the latest Zynga game a try. I've played most of the recent ones, mostly for competitive research purposes. That said, I will say that these games are a lot "easier" (I don't know if "entertaining" is quite the right word) with my Facebook friends list, since I literally have dozens of people playing as well. I can actually go pretty far in these games because it's not hard to find neighbors (or whatever) to play with. I think that's they way you're supposed to play, actually. If you try to check out Empires & Allies, but don't have a lot friends involved, your experience is going to be vastly different than mine. I guess it's akin to playing an MMO by yourself. WoW is a great game if you're playing on a server with a healthy population. It's even better if you're in a guild with lots of friends. But try playing it by yourself, and it's probably super depressing and not that much fun. I guess folks here should keep that in mind, next time they bash a Facebook game.
    cloudeagle wrote:
    And come to think of it, Angry Birds has never been on Flash, at least not officially. (There's several unauthorized clones out there, though.)

Angry Birds was actually developed for HTML5, using both Canvas and SVG specifically. It was one of the first titles for the Chrome Web App store, as well as Google+ Games.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    JCRooks wrote:
    I guess folks here should keep that in mind, next time they bash a Facebook game.

That is kind of a problem itself though honestly. The games aren't fun if you play by yourself because they are meant to be something that you try to suck other people into. I've never played the games myself but I have seen them played. However, when I was still on Facebook I did receive at least 20+ invitations from things ranging from Farmville to Fishville. If you play an MMO with other people its probably not because you went onto some social networking site or forum and begged for people to play with you so you could get some more experience or a Staff of Lightening +2. You bought the game and so did other people, and then you experienced the game together.

From what I've seen the games on Facebook themselves aren't a very social experience. Even when they are there still isn't much to do with anyone who wanders into your nightclub or whatever the setting happens to be. Its more the feeling that you are playing this game with a bunch of your friends because their names appear every now and then as opposed to an experience in which you are actually playing competitively or cooperatively towards some sort of tangible goal or are actively engaged in something. Like you said, while the games on Facebook do become easier with more people, they don't necessarily become more entertaining. And that is because I don't think they were designed with that in mind. Its more about building up the cult following and sitting back and waiting for the currency from microtransations to kick in.

Edit: Plus if you try to get me to play the game and I start playing, I will inevitably try to get my friends to start playing and they will do the same with their friends. So the people who made the game really don't have to do much in the way of advertising because you are spamming people for them. The people that play the games are the marketing campaigns behind the games themselves.

Rehab on
  • Options
    Rehab wrote:
    From what I've seen the games on Facebook themselves aren't a very social experience. Even when they are there still isn't much to do with anyone who wanders into your nightclub or whatever the setting happens to be. Its more the feeling that you are playing this game with a bunch of your friends because their names appear every now and then as opposed to an experience in which you are actually playing competitively or cooperatively towards some sort of tangible goal or are actively engaged in something. Like you said, while the games on Facebook do become easier with more people, they don't necessarily become more entertaining. And that is because I don't think they were designed with that in mind. Its more about building up the cult following and sitting back and waiting for the currency from microtransations to kick in.
    That was definitely the case with FarmVille and some of the other earlier Zynga games, but the newer ones (Empire & Allies specifically) do have a lot more interaction. For example, I can go raid my neighbor for resources, or alternatively I can defend them from someone who attacked them. Thanks to "real game designers" like Brian Reynolds (he made Rise of Nations, among other titles), the Zynga games have become a lot more "gamey". Will they appeal to everyone? Certainly not. It's not like Animal Crossing or the Sims is popular to all gamers. But I do have plenty of friends that don't play PC or console games, yet spend a lot of time (and money) on various Facebook games.
    Rehab wrote:
    Edit: Plus if you try to get me to play the game and I start playing, I will inevitably try to get my friends to start playing and they will do the same with their friends. So the people who made the game really don't have to do much in the way of advertising because you are spamming people for them. The people that play the games are the marketing campaigns behind the games themselves.
    Ding ding ding, that's the "magic" behind these social games. The reason it's so popular with game developers nowadays is because it works so well.

• Options
    Just curious, anyone here old enough to have played BBS games back in the '80s and '90s? I was a big fan of games like TradeWars 2002 (TW2002), Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD), SRE, BRE, etc. I really see those games as pre-cursors to the social games of today. Unfortunately, I think games like FarmVille give the whole category a bad rap. I'd love to see some really deep, strategy-based games that are playable on Facebook. Let them be free and microtransaction-based ... I'm fine with that, as long as it's not too blatant.

CivWorld, which released to Beta a month or so ago, was pretty good. Unfortunately, the game itself was massively buggy, so I think a lot of goodwill was lost with the playerbase. I'd love to see more like that though.

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Hell yes I played those door games, especially BRE. There was a setup where the whole BBS could contribute to the Gooey Kablooey Bomb and fire it at another BBS's players, it was glorious.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    JCRooks wrote:
    Ding ding ding, that's the "magic" behind these social games. The reason it's so popular with game developers nowadays is because it works so well.

No doubt. Zynga is very good at what they do and they have obviously profited greatly from it and attracted a lot of attention. I just hope that the base experience in these games continues to improve for the sake of the people playing the games and that the methods used in earlier games come to be more and more unsuccessful in attracting new users. I agree that the more competition that they have the better it will be for everyone involved. Maybe not for Zynga's bottom line, but if they drop the "fuck innovation" outlook and their unofficial "do evil" motto and continue to be forced to get more creative . . . who knows? Maybe users will eventually be playing simple arcade-like experiences without even having to leave Facebook in the future.

Rehab on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Rehab wrote:
    JCRooks wrote:

No doubt. Zynga is very good at what they do and they have obviously profited greatly from it and attracted a lot of attention. I just hope that the base experience in these games continues to improve for the sake of the people playing the games and that the methods used in earlier games come to be more and more unsuccessful in attracting new users. I agree that the more competition that they have the better it will be for everyone involved. Maybe not for Zynga's bottom line, but if they drop the "fuck innovation" outlook and their unofficial "do evil" motto and continue to be forced to get more creative . . . who knows? Maybe users will eventually be playing simple arcade-like experiences without even having to leave Facebook in the future.

My guess is that Zynga is taking multiple approaches. There are plenty of folks that are perfectly fine with the level of complexity and messaging that's present in games like FarmVille, and they don't want anything that much more different. However, there are also lots of folks that do want something more "gamey" and less spammy. The nice thing about Zynga and other social/casual game studios, is that you can iterate so much faster and pump up lots of new ideas relatively quickly. There have been some excellent podcasts on Gamers With Jobs and Irrational Interviews, where folks like Brian Reynolds talked about how awesome it was to just try new things, without having to slog through years of development and burn through millions in budget. Zynga has already launched quite a few games this year, and that will certainly keep happening. One of these days, I wouldn't be surprised if they nailed *our* gaming demographic and all of a sudden, we're singing their praises instead of bashing them.

Ironically, I saw the exact same thing happen with PopCap years ago. They were just known as the Bejeweled company that copied popular puzzle mechanics (see Zuma, etc.). However, games like Peggle and Plants vs. Zombies really turned around the perception of their studio.

JCRooks on

• Options
    harvest wrote:
    Hell yes I played those door games, especially BRE. There was a setup where the whole BBS could contribute to the Gooey Kablooey Bomb and fire it at another BBS's players, it was glorious.

That's the type of game I would love to see implemented again. Also, anyone remember Urban Dead? That was pretty big on these forums a year or so ago. That's another example of browser-based (possibly "social") games that would appeal to me, and probably others in these forums.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    JCRooks wrote:
    harvest wrote:

That's the type of game I would love to see implemented again. Also, anyone remember Urban Dead? That was pretty big on these forums a year or so ago. That's another example of browser-based (possibly "social") games that would appeal to me, and probably others in these forums.

urban dead is a spectacularly bad and imbalanced game, though

• Options
    Rent wrote:
    JCRooks wrote:
    harvest wrote:

urban dead is a spectacularly bad and imbalanced game, though

It's been years since I played it, but at the time, it was still fun and entertaining. Also, even if it is unbalanced now, that doesn't mean a version of it that IS balanced and fun couldn't find success on Facebook or some other web game portal. (I still have a pet project that I'd love to work on, one of these days ... if I weren't so busy at work and at home)

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    actually the very design of the game necessitates it being unbalanced

first off, a pvp turned based mmo doesn't really work because it basically means that you can and do die when not even playing

secondly, the advantages that zombies get in UD is just insane

i mean obvs zombies should always have the advantage of raw numbers, but the amount of other advantages they get (which include but are not limited to being able to "sleep" in any building (which make them completely impossible to find), basically meaning as a human you can clear and fortify a building that has dozens of sleeping zombies which you are just unable to find wholl then wake up and kill you) basically make playing as a human impossible

plus the game has far too much trolling potential

the way zombies are designed in urban dead means that theyre super disposable, so creating dozens or hundreds of zombie alts to overwhelm any human opposition terrorities was both simple and easy. see: the something awful zombie squads they made to terrorize the game

Rent on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

As I said earlier, racism, perceived racism, and the reactions to both are rarely possessed of any great logic. If you look hard enough, you'll find something offensive in everything. And portraying a stereotype, no matter how accurate or what context, will generate complaints.

Look up "mammy" on Youtube and then think about The Last Airbender and M. Night Shamylan's The last airbender. YMMV but from my experience and all the knowledge my exwife got with her degree, Deus Ex falls toward the latter (ignorance and sloth) more than the former (perpetuation of an bygone era and a stereotype that pigeon holes black women of a particular body type into their former roles as house slaves).

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Hold the cyberphone, what does Magneto Night Shamylan have to do with racism?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly from my first runin with Letitia, I thought she was supposed to be a transvestite. She sounded just like one that used to live down the street from me in downtown LA and hit on me once in a while.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So, it looks like Obsidians upcoming 2D Game will be Multiplattform for XBOX360, PS3 and PC. Which seems to indicate that its at least an XBLA,PSN,Steam title rather than a social game.

C2B on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm having a little bit of trouble comprehending this, but then again I'm a lazy nerd.
    The High Street can play a major part in selling digital games, and Microsoft has the proof.

Two thirds of Xbox Live Gold members paid for their subscriptions via traditional retailers, the platform holder told MCV.

It highlights the extent to which retail has played a major role in growing Xbox Live, and Microsoft is working on a number of new initiatives to help stores get a slice of its digital revenue.

The firm added it has no plans to release full game downloads at the same time as their boxed counterparts, out of respect for retail. It is in contrast to Sony, which revealed earlier this year that PlayStation Vita games will be released digitally and in a box at the same time.

“There are no plans in terms of that kind of day and date parity,” said Xbox Live marketing manager for EMEA Robin Burrowes. "We are very respectful of the retail environment, in that we have a window between the release of a retail game and the digital one. There’s no immediate plans to change that.

“We are continuing to talk to retail in different ways. We are looking to introduce new digital innovations to drive more business. We’ve been testing electronic software distribution in a couple of places. We will be testing point-of-sale activation, which is similar to buying cards in store and being able to redeem that code at the point of purchase. We are introducing new digital tokens and are working very closely with retailers. 68 per cent of Europe’s Xbox Live subscription acquisitions come from retail.”

The firm is also more active in bundling DLC and XBLA games with retail releases – such as Fruit Ninja Kinect being included with upcoming Kinect game The Gunstringer.

Added Burrowes: “For certain Kinect games out this Christmas there will be codes included. Sometimes we will be doing: buy a subscription card and get some points which can redeemed against movies or games. We are continuing to innovate that.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/68-of-xbox-subs-bought-at-retail/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Of course 2/3rds of their subs are from retailers, their online method and cancellation is a bunch of shit.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd never give them my credit card for Live with all the horror stories about renewals not being canceled.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote:
    Of course 2/3rds of their subs are from retailers, their online method and cancellation is a bunch of shit.

Yeah, the article saying "Oh look at how relevant retailers are!" is kinda missing the point.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I'm having a little bit of trouble comprehending this, but then again I'm a lazy nerd.

So lazy you don't even point out what is causing the trouble. We love you, man, but this is why we object when you do things like this.

It says that MS intends to use physical retail as the primary source for most game purchases and then later use digital distribution. This is given a counter example about how SONY will be doing day and date availability for both with the Vita.

So which part is giving you trouble?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Those are two slightly different markets. I don't think anyone is ready for day to date online purchased HD games on consoles. Maybe next gen. The infastructure is there, but we'd need gigantic HDs as standard on all units before it becomes a true force.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Those are two slightly different markets. I don't think anyone is ready for day to date online purchased HD games on consoles. Maybe next gen. The infastructure is there, but we'd need gigantic HDs as standard on all units before it becomes a true force.

Depends, does a pile of XBLA games = HD games? Because I have, like, a hundred of them.

But retail releases? While the 360 Marketplace now has over 250+ full retail games available for download (and they are creeping ever closer to retail releases) you are totally right that HDs just aren't big enough to really support them just yet.

I've got a 120 Gigger and that is totally full, but then again, I've got almost six years worth of stuff on there, that all mounts up!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Depends, does a pile of XBLA games = HD games? Because I have, like, a hundred of them.

But retail releases? While the 360 Marketplace now has over 250+ full retail games available for download (and they are creeping ever closer to retail releases) you are totally right that HDs just aren't big enough to really support them just yet.

I've got a 120 Gigger and that is totally full, but then again, I've got almost six years worth of stuff on there, that all mounts up!

I traded in my old-school 360 for one with an HDMI port for....wait for it...Pinball FX 2. :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

I agree that society isn't quite ready for a full-download home console yet but HDD size isn't really a problem. Both the PS3 & XBox 360 already have SKUs with hard drives that can simultaneously store as many games as 98% of the populace are likely to ever have.

Now portable is another story. DD makes a lot more sense with portable systems (have all your games with you no matter where you go) but on the other hard, portable systems are likely to have much smaller HDDs.

• Options
    Cantido wrote:

I traded in my old-school 360 for one with an HDMI port for....wait for it...Pinball FX 2. :D

Man yeah that little gem eats up space. Rock Band too, that has gobbled up piles of my HD.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    With 25-50GB disc standards, DD of retail titles is going to be even less prevalent on consoles I think.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Sony: Herpderpherpderp
    http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-publishers-are-getting-the-living-crap-kicked-out-of-them-by-microsoft/
    "I think what [Xbox Europe boss] Chris Lewis was referring to was something that we’ve known about for quite some time, that we’ve been dealing with, and trying to deal with - in the spirit of competition, more than anything, we look for ways to give our consumer reason to have the PS3. I think what Chris and the other representatives at Microsoft are doing is protecting an inferior technology. I think they want to dumb it down and keep it as pedestrian as possible so that if you want to do anything for Blu-ray or you have extra content above 9 gigs or you want to do anything of that nature, you’d better sure as heck remember that Microsoft can't handle that," Dyer began with his all-out attack.

• Options
    Yeah because Blu-ray is soooooo important for innovation.

fragglefart.jpg
This discussion has been closed.