As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    <3 Conan.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote:
    I hope that's true Nintendo needs those software sales.

Well, they need sales but obviously not enough that they made the machine without region locking in the first place.

Little annoyances like region locking are gateways; if someone is going to hunt around for a 'fix' for that problem chances are it'll be a fix that incorporates other features like playing pirate copies and the user will start looking at that.

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I found another doom and gloom article. And it's Sony!

Sony asks gamers to sign new terms or face PSN ban
    Sony is preparing to ban gamers from the PlayStation Network (PSN) unless they waive the right to collectively sue it over future security breaches.

The firm has amended PSN's terms and conditions and users have to agree to them next time they log in.

The move comes months after a string of hacking attacks compromised over 100 million accounts of the PlayStation Network subscribers.

It is, however, possible to opt out of the agreement within the next 30 days.

Gamers will now have to try to resolve any legal issues with an arbitrator picked by Sony, before being able to file a lawsuit.

The new clauses, dubbed "Binding Individual Arbitration," state that "any Dispute Resolution Proceedings, whether in arbitration or court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class or representative action or as a named or unnamed member in a class, consolidated, representative or private attorney general action".

The re-written terms and conditions are being presented to gamers when they log in, but some have questioned who will notice the changes.

Tech news site The Register wondered who would notice the small print outlining the opt-out terms, and not simply click the "agree" box having scrolled all the way down.

Those that want to opt out will have to send a letter to Sony's Los Angeles headquarters in the US.

Once they do, the subscribers will be able to keep their right to file a class action lawsuit without any need for arbitration.

But before subscribers have a chance to opt out, they will still be required to agree to the new terms the next time they log into their accounts.

Otherwise they will not be able to use the online services.
    Attacks and apology

A class action lawsuit filed against Sony in April after the first attack, in which the details of 77 million users were stolen and PSN went offline for 40 days, could end up costing the Japanese electronics giant billions of dollars.

Sony Online Entertainment, the company's computer games service, was also hit, as well as the Sony Pictures website, exposing personal information for 25 million more accounts.

In addition, personal data of 2,000 consumers was stolen from a Sony Ericsson website in Canada and details of 8,500 users were leaked on a Sony Music Entertainment website in Greece.

Some time later, a group called Lulz Security claimed to have broken into Sonypictures.com.

Sony has since apologised over the security breaches and offered compensation packages.

Good grief.

• Options
    Shutdown wrote:
    Little annoyances like region locking are gateways; if someone is going to hunt around for a 'fix' for that problem chances are it'll be a fix that incorporates other features like playing pirate copies and the user will start looking at that.

The guys in question though aren't about anything but piracy though. All they talk about is running 3DS games, breaking region locks and allowing homebrew is not their motivation, it is the sweet coin they'll get for enabling piracy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I find this bit about having to opt out of PSN by mailing them a letter even more funny with the recent news that the US post office is currently going tits-up.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Sadly, it feels like the Suikoden series is dead for the most part.

Shame, I wanted a proper continuation to 3.

Funny that Suikoden talk came up this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAlckdIaic

I guess there is something in the works after all? There's pretty much only that trailer and a website so far, no clue if it's a proper game in the series or what. Or when. Or pretty much anything else.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Sadly from what was said the Suikoden announcement sounds more in line with the DS offer then what most have been wanting.

That said I believe the DS version was suppose to have been the best selling version of the series so it's not a surprise they'd continue on that path.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Suikoden DS was a pretty dang good game, I really enjoyed it. Especially with the use of prerendered backgrounds which made it feel like classic RPGs from the PS1 era.

I have heard from fans of the series that it was "not Suikoden," but I'm not sure what it takes to qualify. It had a hundred-and-eight stars of destiny, it had a JRPG storyline and gameplay, that's all I thought it needed.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I know when I personally say a "proper" Suikoden, I mean one that's an actual sequel to the third one...like I said earlier.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Here's all you need for a proper Suikoden

1) Has 108 stars of destiny
    2) Takes place in the persistent Suikoden world

That's literally everything, and the DS game managed to botch it by flubbing #2

Seriously, I want to stress that the connections between each game and the overarching story of the True Runes and Harmonia is probably even more important than the 108 character schtick at this point.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah. Pretty much. That whole 108 star thing is basically just series mainstay and a way to frustruate people who don't have strategy guides or internet-fu. >_>

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Tierkreis was a pretty big letdown for me. They've done so much world building since the series' inception. It was a shame to throw it all away for a fairly uninteresting multiverse concept. That being said, I love the Suikoden games more than any other series, so I will always give Konami another shot. There was some news on Suikosource about the actual Suikoden team being disbanded back in August, though, so I am a little leery.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think I only really liked the fact that the first 3 Suikodens are all mostly related to one another, and how the story segues nicely between them. I mean, 1 and 2 should really be considered a pair, and 3 was a nice add on. Once they started jumping around and doing prequels though, I rapidly lost interest.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The problem with Suikoden is that the series' creator, Yoshitaka Murayama, left Konami in a hissy fit after he was told he couldn't add a fourth main character (Bishop Sasari) to Suikoden III. Honestly, I thought that was probably a solid development decision... playing through those same areas three times was quite enough. But unfortunately, it was Murayama who had the vision for the main Suikoden world, and the people who were left tried valiantly to take over within that world, but it didn't quite work out. I suspect they've never gone into the future and into Harmonia because they literally don't know what's supposed to happen there, nor do they know the answers to a lot of the mysteries that were posted by the first three games.

Since Konami has admitted to disbanding the Suikoden team, I wonder who is developing this new game? Either way and as sad as it makes me, I think we're going to have to mourn the death of the original Suikoden world and either move on with the new direction of the series or just get off the ride. I thought Tierkries was really neat at first, and it had a lot of that political Suikoden magic in the desert kingdom section. Unfortunately, the story lost a lot of coherence at the end and the main character was annoying as fuck throughout.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    I think I only really liked the fact that the first 3 Suikodens are all mostly related to one another, and how the story segues nicely between them. I mean, 1 and 2 should really be considered a pair, and 3 was a nice add on. Once they started jumping around and doing prequels though, I rapidly lost interest.

You should really give 5 a shot because it's connected more solidly to the first 3 (taking place only a few years before 1) than 4 was (which took place hundreds or years or whatever before hand), it's also maybe my favorite game in the series up there with 2.

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Suikoden V was actually pretty good though. I'd be down for the folks who did that writing a followup to III.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Most of the bad comments towards Suikoden V that I recall was how far the camera was out and how the graphics were not as nice as other RPG's of the time.

It was a pretty good and solid game and helped to pick the series back up after the previous one.

And yeah I agree with what was said, after the main creator left it seemed no one really knew what to do or where things were suppose to go. They probably never were told and who knows even if Murayama had all the answers, he might have been making it all up on the fly but with the vision he had he was doing a solid job of it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Also, the dialog was really.. slow? Drawn out? It didn't flow well, and was a but boring because of it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Two interesting reports from Wired from TGS. One is on Kinect development and the Japanese, and, well...
    Kinect doesn’t seem to be helping the problem. The controller, with its camera and microphone sensors, “doesn’t fit with Japanese culture,” a player named Takizawa told Wired.com at the Microsoft booth. He thought Michael Jackson: The Experience looked like a lot of fun, but questioned whether he’d have room to play it in his typically small living space.

Another gamer named Takumi, who is a student at Kanagawa Institute of Technology, said he could probably get a Kinect into his place, although his friend Akira said “no way.” Both of them are PlayStation 3 owners, but neither owns an Xbox. “It’s too expensive,” said Takumi. A Kinect alone costs 15,000 yen.

The ironic thing about Microsoft’s struggles to sell Kinect to an apathetic Japanese audience is that the company says Japan’s gamemakers are coming up with the best concepts for the motion controller.

Two of the Microsoft-funded games are on display at the booth: Masaya Matsuura, the popular creator of the megahit PlayStation game Parappa the Rapper, is making a first-person haunted-house adventure. Suda 51, creator of ultraviolent action games like Shadows of the Damned, is contributing Demonic Pitch, in which you play a baseball player that fights monsters with his killer fastballs.

These are clever, original games from talented designers. But Microsoft has been down this road before, commissioning the original creators of Japan’s popular RPGs to make Xbox-exclusive games. The strategy didn’t work. Eventually the company successfully lobbied Square Enix to release Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360, as well as PlayStation 3. The incredibly popular series barely moved the needle.

Sometimes it seems like it doesn’t matter what Microsoft creates — Japan’s gamers just aren’t that into Xbox games.

I wonder how strong Japanese Kinect support will stay if the Japanese don't buy it. Hell, I'm shocked Microsoft had a booth there since no one's stocking the 360 anymore.

And then there was the Sony Vita media experience. Apparently, it was a clusterfuck to end all clusterfucks. You really need to read the entire Wired article on the experience since it's fascinating, but this Twitter post from 1up's Jeremy Parish, referenced to in the article, pretty much sums up why you should read it.
    We are all in a bus and I think Sony is taking us to die.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/09/vita-hands-on-tokyo-game-show/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Am I the only one to read that article and half expected Sony to shoot them in the back of the head.

It kind of had that vibe going.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Aw man I missed the Max Payne discussion like ten pages ago

Game's gonna fucking rule

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I wonder how strong Japanese Kinect support will stay if the Japanese don't buy it. Hell, I'm shocked Microsoft had a booth there since no one's stocking the 360 anymore.

Microsoft is at TGS for one reason: to get press from it. Pretty much why anybody else is there.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Cade wrote:
    Am I the only one to read that article and half expected Sony to shoot them in the back of the head.

the way I see it, if it doesn't involve a goat head, it's not a true Sony media event

still, kudos for trying, Sony

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Cade wrote:

the way I see it, if it doesn't involve a goat head, it's not a true Sony media event

still, kudos for trying, Sony

What if they were going to stuff them into train cars and take them to the destination? I feel this is up to SONY's level.

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    A new Suikoden?

That teaser or whatever you call it didn't show anything at all, but it's a new Suikoden. I'm pretty excited about that. I eventually got into Tierkris, but I don't think it had that certain something that Suikoden games have. The world, history, and characters. Even 4, which was average at best, had that.

It's on the PSP, though. I don't think I will be buying another one of those just to play it.

Unless it's a sequel to 3.

I'd be all over that.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have to buy a new PSP anyway (still have all the Ys games to finish, haven't been able to since our PSP died)... this is just more of a reason to do so.

Except... this is never coming out here, is it? :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Okay, back from a tiring week of college recruiting. I see I missed a few pages of griping about ads. I look forward to playing some Deus Ex tomorrow and seeing how I feel about it.

As for the "Bing [insert content name here]" stuff ... personally I'm not a fan of having to say "Bing", but I totally understand why that was done. They need a verb to key in on the fact that you're "finding" something, and it'd be even better if it's a non-standard/common word so that it doesn't conflict with titles that also have that word. Even better, using "Bing" = great marketing. Obviously I'm biased since I work there and am a shareholder. I'm hoping it's something that just becomes natural and I don't notice it when saying it.

I do think voice recognition in general is going to be awesome, and I hope to see in more and more products. I hate having to type in stuff with my DVR/cable box/etc., especially with a remote. Also, I really despise the DVR interface that's on my Comcast box ... so much so that I bought an ATI digital video recorder and hooked it up to Media Center so I could use that instead. It's so much better. If it were built into my Xbox (and none of this media center extender stuff), then even better. It's too bad that AT&T U-verse isn't around here, else I'd love to check out the integration that goes on there (http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/xbox-receiver.jsp). Does anyone have that in the G&T thread?

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, I remember back at E3 when Sony announced the $250 price point, showed off Uncharted on PSV and Ken Levine said there was a Bioshock game coming out for it. I really thought Sony had it's shit together. Amazing how quickly that opinion soured.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Macro9 wrote:
    A new Suikoden?

That teaser or whatever you call it didn't show anything at all, but it's a new Suikoden. I'm pretty excited about that. I eventually got into Tierkris, but I don't think it had that certain something that Suikoden games have. The world, history, and characters. Even 4, which was average at best, had that.

It's on the PSP, though. I don't think I will be buying another one of those just to play it.

Unless it's a sequel to 3.

I'd be all over that.

Unfortunately, it's pretty likely that the new PSP Suikoden will be an unrelated sidestory like Tierkris, based on what the trailer apparently says about it being a new entry into the "millions of worlds" or whatever concept that was introduced in Tierkris.

Not that it really matters, though, because the chances of it seeing an English release are almost certainly near zero due to it being on PSP.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Man, I remember back at E3 when Sony announced the $250 price point, showed off Uncharted on PSV and Ken Levine said there was a Bioshock game coming out for it. I really thought Sony had it's shit together. Amazing how quickly that opinion soured.

It took a half year so I'm not gonna say it soured quickly, but I'm glad someone else feels the same way. Sony did so fucking great at E3 2011 (they were my "winner" for the year, easily), and now it's back to business as usual.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    WMain00 wrote:
    Hey guys, I found another doom and gloom article. And it's Sony!

Sony asks gamers to sign new terms or face PSN ban
    Sony is preparing to ban gamers from the PlayStation Network (PSN) unless they waive the right to collectively sue it over future security breaches.

The firm has amended PSN's terms and conditions and users have to agree to them next time they log in.

The move comes months after a string of hacking attacks compromised over 100 million accounts of the PlayStation Network subscribers.

It is, however, possible to opt out of the agreement within the next 30 days.

Gamers will now have to try to resolve any legal issues with an arbitrator picked by Sony, before being able to file a lawsuit.

The new clauses, dubbed "Binding Individual Arbitration," state that "any Dispute Resolution Proceedings, whether in arbitration or court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class or representative action or as a named or unnamed member in a class, consolidated, representative or private attorney general action".

The re-written terms and conditions are being presented to gamers when they log in, but some have questioned who will notice the changes.

Tech news site The Register wondered who would notice the small print outlining the opt-out terms, and not simply click the "agree" box having scrolled all the way down.

Those that want to opt out will have to send a letter to Sony's Los Angeles headquarters in the US.

Once they do, the subscribers will be able to keep their right to file a class action lawsuit without any need for arbitration.

But before subscribers have a chance to opt out, they will still be required to agree to the new terms the next time they log into their accounts.

Otherwise they will not be able to use the online services.
    Attacks and apology

A class action lawsuit filed against Sony in April after the first attack, in which the details of 77 million users were stolen and PSN went offline for 40 days, could end up costing the Japanese electronics giant billions of dollars.

Sony Online Entertainment, the company's computer games service, was also hit, as well as the Sony Pictures website, exposing personal information for 25 million more accounts.

In addition, personal data of 2,000 consumers was stolen from a Sony Ericsson website in Canada and details of 8,500 users were leaked on a Sony Music Entertainment website in Greece.

Some time later, a group called Lulz Security claimed to have broken into Sonypictures.com.

Sony has since apologised over the security breaches and offered compensation packages.

Good grief.

Here's an idea Sony

Maybe your customers wouldn't ever sue you if you didn't treat them like you fucking hate them

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

It took a half year so I'm not gonna say it soured quickly, but I'm glad someone else feels the same way. Sony did so fucking great at E3 2011 (they were my "winner" for the year, easily), and now it's back to business as usual.

Half a year? When was E3 anyway?

Wikipedia says the beginning of June, so that's a little over 3 months, so I wouldn't say half a year. More like a quarter. A third of a year if you really want to push it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

Half a year? When was E3 anyway?

Wikipedia says the beginning of June, so that's a little over 3 months, so I wouldn't say half a year. More like a quarter. A third of a year if you really want to push it.

Things have been relatively slow in life, it feels like half a year has passed. Now I'm depressed.

• Options
    Here's an idea Sony

Maybe your customers wouldn't ever sue you if you didn't treat them like you fucking hate them

The only wiggle room and barely willing to grant Sony is that they're probably getting hit hard over the security issues from earlier this year, and they were looking for a way to protect themselves from going bankrupt should something else occur.

Which, for me, would be a sign of abandoning ship if I owed any stock, since the company's confidence has gone down the shitter.

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Shutdown wrote:
    BigJoeM wrote:
    I hope that's true Nintendo needs those software sales.

Well, they need sales but obviously not enough that they made the machine without region locking in the first place.

People are going to pirate things regardless neither portable last generation had region locking and lo and behold piracy out the ass on both.

Pirates are gonna pirate it's been a long time since i've bought any excuse they come up with.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    If the Wii only had the chops to output in HD I'd never use anything else for a media player. As it stands it is already my go to for all my SD content.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    It seems both Nintendo and Sony raised the hype too high too early for each of their portables such that it gave people a time to come down from the hype and realize reality.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Honestly the Vita having such a limited battery life turns me off it completely - not that I really wanted it anyway. But I would have considered it if the games library was good, but poor battery life is a deal killer right then and there.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    With the Vita having such a shitty battery life in addition to the 3Ds nub thingy, the phrase "the inevitable redesign" is in almost every damn story. That phrase is starting to lose any meaning.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.