The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Is Kali still the best way to emulate the IPX protocol on post XP OSes?

SmokeStacksSmokeStacks The Myth, the Legend, the Bowman, the Dino FuckerRegistered User regular
Basically,
Diablo had an expansion pack called Hellfire way back in the day. It was made by Sierra (remember them?) which added new spells, new dungeons, new equipment, and a new character class, and has since been ret-conned out of existence by Blizzard.

Anyway, Hellfire never included multiplayer, but with a hacked .dll you can get LAN, modem to modem, or direct cable multiplayer working. A couple of my roommates (and maybe a friend of ours) want to get a game of Diablo up and running this weekend, and although sticking with the base game would allow us to play over Battle.net (significantly simplifying the process), all of the extra stuff that Hellfire adds to Diablo seems pretty awesome, plus this way we could have four players, each with a different class (so two players of the same class weren't having to fight over equipment).

LAN play requires an IPX compatible network, but that protocol was dropped after WinXP. So now I have one XP machine, one Vista machine, and one Windows 7 machine, plus maybe an additional Win7 PC that is offsite that I need to communicate with each other, so I need to find a way to emulate an IPX network over the internet. We don't need any player tracking or chat, just emulation and tunneling.

tl;dr - Need to emulate an IPX network over the internet, is Kali still the best way to do this, or is there a free alternative?

73CQcJZ.png
SmokeStacks on