As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX West Coast Supertrip

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Aye... driving with an open alcohol container would be... less than intelligent should you get pulled over.

As for the schedule, it has my blessing. Let's not change it anymore, lest mass confusion begins.

All in favor?
    (Aye!)
    All opposed?
    (nay...)

Hey, who the hell said that?

(Mass beatings, a muffled plea for help followed by silence)

Very well then, the trip is set! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    CailYoungCailYoung Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I must once again request offers of free sleeping space. All I require is either a chair, or roughly 5 square feet of floor space. I'm very neat. Please guys? You'd be making a dirty Aussie's dream come true...

CailYoung on
    Freak this, I'm going to the toilet - Shaun Micallef
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    ben184 wrote:
    futility wrote:
    doubletree is very expensive.

where are people staying fri and sun?

eelektrik and I found a $55.25 daily rate at the Bellevue Lodge, right next to the Meydenbauer Center (same parking lot).

Check Orbitz for the rate on all 3 days.

aight I just got hotellage at the same place. I'm keeping my doubletree for saturday though because I figure it should ne a hoot with all the shenanegins going on there.

ALSO I HAVE HOTEL SPACE AVAILABLE FOR A MODEST FEE*

*sanity must also be proven to solicitor to validate offer

I also have 1 spot available in my car. one of which I would prefer filled by a los angelino so that I don't have to drive all the way back to anaheim and have some carpool action to and from there. YO!

futility on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:
    ben184 wrote:
    futility wrote:

eelektrik and I found a $55.25 daily rate at the Bellevue Lodge, right next to the Meydenbauer Center (same parking lot).

aight I just got hotellage at the same place. I'm keeping my doubletree for saturday though because I figure it should ne a hoot with all the shenanegins going on there.

I also have 1 spot available in my car. one of which I would prefer filled by a los angelino so that I don't have to drive all the way back to anaheim and have some carpool action to and from there. YO!

Hey, hey, hey. Is that one spot open TO there or FROM there? Or both?

Cause if it's TO there, I have a friend that wants to come now...so if it'd be alright... :D We're flying back, so it'll be alright if it's to there. :)

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:

How modest?

CailYoung on
  • Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    CailYoung wrote:
    How modest?

That likely depends on how much you enjoy the fine art of fellatio... :twisted:

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    I'm going to need some crash space on Friday and Sunday, if anyone has any available.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:
    futility wrote:
    ben184 wrote:
    futility wrote:

Cause if it's TO there, I have a friend that wants to come now...so if it'd be alright... :D We're flying back, so it'll be alright if it's to there. :)

:shock: um... ok. I need someone to at leat ride with me from anaheim to wa and back. I really don't want to make that drive back all by my lonesome. I would possibly then also have space available in my car for your frined, but they would be in the dreaded 5th seat (that has gone unadvertised for comfort reasons)
    CailYoung wrote:
    How modest?

that is yet to be determined but perhaps you and red can work something out to split the cost as you are willing to sleep in a chair and whilst I don't mind being kind in letting you crash (once I recieve an authorized scroll documenting your pedigree the standard 20 generations back of course) I would feel stupid getting a room and then letting a bunch of people sleep in it gratis at a cost only to myself

futility on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:
    :shock: um... ok. I need someone to at leat ride with me from anaheim to wa and back. I really don't want to make that drive back all by my lonesome. I would possibly then also have space available in my car for your frined, but they would be in the dreaded 5th seat (that has gone unadvertised for comfort reasons)

that is yet to be determined but perhaps you and red can work something out to split the cost as you are willing to sleep in a chair and whilst I don't mind being kind in letting you crash (once I recieve an authorized scroll documenting your pedigree the standard 20 generations back of course) I would feel stupid getting a room and then letting a bunch of people sleep in it gratis at a cost only to myself
    1. If you've got nobody else in the car, I'll ride with you. Like I said a few pages ago, my POS car doesn't run at all anymore, and it's gonna take quite a few expensive parts to fix it. So I'm looking for rides.

OH YEAH. SINCE I ORGANIZED THIS THING AND I AM A FASCIST NAZI FUCK, I HEREBY DECREE THAT WHATEVER CAR I AM IN IS THE FLAGSHIP. and probably first to get noticed by the CHP

2. Screw the chair, I sleep much better on the floor. And I won't be needing crash space Saturday night, as I'm going to do the requisite all-nighter.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I'm only gonna offer room space for fri and sun not sat.

and the chance to be the flag ship is tempting but I'm not gonna drive to phoenix to pick you up

futility on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:
    I'm only gonna offer room space for fri and sun not sat.

and the chance to be the flag ship is tempting but I'm not gonna drive to phoenix to pick you up
    Oh :P futility. I'm gonna ride with someone from Phoenix to LA, of course.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    futility wrote:

Ahh, alrighty. Well, I'll question him about the 5th seat, but we'll see. There should be at least one more space open somewhere right? heh

Legacy on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    Legacy wrote:

Hey Legacy, my car is one-way up to PAX, since I'll be heading back home to Detroit after that, so I'm open for any one-way travellers.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    ccgman wrote:
    Legacy wrote:

Hey Legacy, my car is one-way up to PAX, since I'll be heading back home to Detroit after that, so I'm open for any one-way travellers.

Well, if there's a spot open at Sac, then I guess we'll shove him in there. heh

Legacy on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    On fellatio: possibly, depends on the avialiability of both crack cocaine and flavoured condoms.

Futility:
    On the room-for-low-pay; awesome, name your reasonably-low price and I should be able to take it.

Bizarrely enough, I may be able to actually give you 20 generations of pedigree (at least back to the 1600s).

I would be willing to ride with you round-trip, what kind of gas cost am I looking at? I have a full CA license, but I'm 18 - does that fuck with your insurance?

Convoy logistics idea:

Number ever car, and have posted numbers on front and back windows, in addition to every car's WCST poster. This means it's easy to keep track of your position in the convoy and ensures no-one gets left behind.

Obviously number in order of stop-off locations.

Just a thought.

If you need WiFi support, I can definitely help organize that. I may be able to supply a BEFW11S4 v2 for AP purposes, but I don't have an inverter.

EDIT:

Hmm..... do I really need Saturday sleeping space? Probably not :D

CailYoung on
  • Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    My current ride up, with ccgman, is a one-way trip. If any of you have an open seat and will be making the WCST round-trip from Phoenix or have an open seat for the ride back from Bellevue to the valley of the sun pm me.

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    For those of you wishing to have open containers in the Green State, a word to the wise is: don't. We really want to see you at the convention, not collared by the man.

From http://www.lawyers.ca/international/summaryoflawstate.asp?province=OR&state=Oregon:

Oregon's DUII law is harsh. Plea bargaining is strictly forbidden, and the punishments mandated even for first conviction include jail, a fine of at least $1000, suspension of driving privileges for at least one year. For repeat offenses, the penalties increase, and some are classified as felons. Every DUII in Oregon is classified as a crime, carrying possible jail sentence of at least one year. Every defendant charged with DUII is entitled to a jury trial. The legal standard of guilt for a DUII in Oregon is .08%BAC or other evidence of "impairment to a perceptible degree." Accordingly, even an individual whose BAC is less than .08% is at risk of being convicted of DUII. One element in Oregon's DUII law that reduces the harshness for some individuals is the DUII Diversion Program. However, the requirements are stringent, and many do not qualify, or are disqualified from participation for various reasons. The most common device in use in Oregon for detection of DUII is the Intoxilizer 5000, and state law requires only a single blow into the machine. Under Oregon's Implied Consent law, suspensions of 90 days or longer are issued at the time of arrest where the driver blows .08%BAC or in the case of a CDL driver .04%BAC, or in the case of a driver under 21, anything more than .00%BAC. The Oregon courts have upheld use of HGN and DRE as scientific evidence. SFSTs are a "search" under Oregon law, mandating that the officer have probable cause or consent of the motorist.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KurganKurgan Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    As of now it appears that there are only two vehicles leaving from Phoenix in the "Get a Ride" section of the WCST site. I have already attempted to contact one driver via email but have yet to get a reply. Now the last time that the numbers of drivers with cars, aux drivers & passengers were listed (in the forum), it mentioned 6 vehicles and about 10 passengers from Phoenix. I know that plans change but did we really lose 4 Phoenix vehicles? And if so, did the number of passengers change?

I understand that this may not be a real concern, however, I'm just worried about being left behind, and I don't think I'm the only one. If there are other phoenix passengers still looking, should we consider sharing a rental?

Kurgan on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    slacktron wrote:
    For those of you wishing to have open containers in the Green State, a word to the wise is: don't. We really want to see you at the convention, not collared by the man.

From http://www.lawyers.ca/international/summaryoflawstate.asp?province=OR&state=Oregon:

Oregon's DUII law is harsh. Plea bargaining is strictly forbidden, and the punishments mandated even for first conviction include jail, a fine of at least $1000, suspension of driving privileges for at least one year. For repeat offenses, the penalties increase, and some are classified as felons. Every DUII in Oregon is classified as a crime, carrying possible jail sentence of at least one year. Every defendant charged with DUII is entitled to a jury trial. The legal standard of guilt for a DUII in Oregon is .08%BAC or other evidence of "impairment to a perceptible degree." Accordingly, even an individual whose BAC is less than .08% is at risk of being convicted of DUII. One element in Oregon's DUII law that reduces the harshness for some individuals is the DUII Diversion Program. However, the requirements are stringent, and many do not qualify, or are disqualified from participation for various reasons. The most common device in use in Oregon for detection of DUII is the Intoxilizer 5000, and state law requires only a single blow into the machine. Under Oregon's Implied Consent law, suspensions of 90 days or longer are issued at the time of arrest where the driver blows .08%BAC or in the case of a CDL driver .04%BAC, or in the case of a driver under 21, anything more than .00%BAC. The Oregon courts have upheld use of HGN and DRE as scientific evidence. SFSTs are a "search" under Oregon law, mandating that the officer have probable cause or consent of the motorist.
    MAN ANOTHER EUGENIAN

HIGH FIVE MAN

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    slacktron wrote:

THE LAW
    I thought it was the Beaver state. Did those fucking hippies change it?

Also, if I find ANYIONE dirnking during the WCST, driver or passenger, I'll dial 911 myself and have your ass ARRESTED.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I quite possibly might have a seat or 2 left if I hook up with you guys. It all depends on what my mother says, as I am lazy and have no license.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    westyside26westyside26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    you guys forgot chico again. we'll be meeting you in Redding (2-3 hours north of Sac)

westyside26 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    you guys forgot chico again. we'll be meeting you in Redding (2-3 hours north of Sac)
    We didn't forget you, we just have no idea where we're meeting you. Unlike the rest of the places we're stopping on the WCST, I know absolutely NOTHING about Redding except that it's on the map. Chico people, discuss amongst yourselves and let me know where we'll be meeting you and how to get there from the I-5.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    My car died and I just bought a brand new fricking car. I'm in Phoenix so if Red Machine D wants a ride he's got one both ways. I wouldn't trust many people driving my new car but for some reason I trust Red. It's a 2005 Toyota Corolla automatic. Email me at headicusprime@yahoo.com if you're interested in a seat. One real comfortable, two not as but shouldn't be too bad.

--Head

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    slacktron wrote:

THE LAW
    I thought it was the Beaver state. Did those fucking hippies change it?

Also, if I find ANYIONE dirnking during the WCST, driver or passenger, I'll dial 911 myself and have your ass ARRESTED.
    ok, mom

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    duderdude2duderdude2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    ok, mom

Hahahaha, holy crap that was funny. Normally it wouldn't be, but it seemed so fitting given the man's conviction.

duderdude2 on
  • Options
    galen_myth1galen_myth1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    So is everyone registered for the Xpo? Also, just as a reminder does everyone have lodging issues taken care of? Also is there anyone that wants to go in on a hotel room or anyone that already has one that wants to allow me to stay in theirs for a reasonable fee and/or fellatio?
    :wink:
    Looks like things are going nice so far! Really looking forward to the playable Fable (they will have that yeah?)

galen_myth1 on
    "You use weird things"-Dingo from ZOE 2

XBL:MythPlus

anyone for halo? :winky:
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I still need to order a WCST Shirt sometime soon, just paid for my PAX ticket today though. Also, anyone looking for a room, Im gonna have one right near the convention center, two beds, and Im obviously only taking up one so, if anyone wants to like pay me(or work something else out) to use the other one, just send me a PM...

Sane Adults only please... :)

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    RESPONSE NEEDED ASAP!

store.jpg

OK guys! It's merchandise time!

I am organizing a mass purchase of T-shirts from a nearby T-shirt shop:

Cost: approx $16 each
    Sizes:Small to 4XL, XLT
    Quality: screenprint material with full digital color print; Hanes shirts=good quality
    Description: PA purple shirt, with 2004 WCST logo on front. White text across back shoulders "You took a plane? How quaint." Still uses flexible screenprint "rubber-like" material, but also not limited to 3 colors. Full digital color image printed directly on white screenprint material; colors will not run; fade.

As for bumper stickers, we will be getting vinyl stickers. These will not fade in sunlight or come off when wet. When you are ready to remove them, they peel off your car without any scraping/residue. Prices would be $2.50 each.

For stickers and T-shirts, we will be doing bulk ordering to get the best prices. This means I need to collect everyone's payment before placing the order (I'm not putting my own money up for this). I can accept personal checks, paypal, or credit cards (any major CC; through home business CC reader "Trackside Photo"; PayPal is prefered). Sorry, but I can't take cash on delivery. I must have your payment before I will place your order. I am trying to place the bulk orders by next Monday, so you need to get your payment info to me over the weekend.MONDAY! MONDAY! MONDAY!

Send me an email with your info (name, billing & shipping address, daytime phone), your order (what you want, how many, and what sizes), and your billing info (paypal, CC#, expiration date).

Email is Ben@Doidic.com

PayPal ID is ben184@yahoo.com

Purchased items will be hand-delivered to Phoenix people in Anaheim; everyone else at their chosen rally point.

As for all other merchandise, I doubt we will be bulk ordering coffee mugs and hats, so just go to the Cafepress WCST site, and place your order there. 2004 WCST Cafepress Store

Let's make this happen, and have the most original Penny Arcade shirts at PAX! Wear it for years; remember the good times!

ben184 on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Have we determined how we are going to communicate in order to effectively meet up at each waypoint? The schedule on the website isn't necessarily official (is it?) and even if it was, it will likely go off-track at some point.

So, how do we know when the WCST is approaching each waypoint? I remember reading something about a bunch of cell phone calling on approach. Which means everyone will have to have their phone #s to RMD and/or Ben.

Or, is there something else?

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    As for rules on this trip, I think it's time we come up with some, and make them official.

The definate ones:
    1. No speeding. Obey posted traffic signs. No one should be pulled over on this trip.
    2. Each person should have avaliable a seat-belt, and should be wearing it.
    3. No drugs or alcohol. Cigarettes are up to each vehicle's discretion. Once again, no one should be pulled over on this trip.
    4. Minors must have a signed waiver from their guardians to cross state lines. (I will create one this weekend)
    5. If during the 24 hours of driving, you grow tired, PULL OVER. I'm sure the entire caravan would prefer you to be late rather than dead.
    accord.jpg
    Yes, this was my car after I fell asleep at the wheel... I didn't know when to pull off the road, and this is what happened (I was 16).

I am now a traffic law/seatbelt/sleepy driver NAZI. I won't let anything happen on this trip! I, myself, have a trade-off driver setup, and know when I can't drive anymore. I am willing to pull off the road for a safety nap. Don't think that just because WE say that driving 1600 miles in 36 hours is possible, that you will be able to do it. I say from personal experience: Pull over if you are tired! Don't ruin your car, your life, and the lives of your passengers by driving tired!

(Sorry if I'm freaking out my passengers...)

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Last thing:

A PAX checklist:
    1. Register for PAX for both nights! ($22.50-25) link
    2. Pay for your hotel. Expect minimum $55 a night ($165-250 total) link
    3. Find a ride up to PAX. link
    4. Save up money for gas and food up to AND down from PAX. Expect $15 a day for food, $100-200 for each vehicle, each way, for gas ($290-390 total) link
    5. Clear your schedule for the 26th through the 31st.
    If you are a minor (under 18), additional item:
    • Get a WCST waiver signed by your parents for crossing state lines. link coming soon
    If you are under 13, additional item: Everyone needs that last waiver, but only 13-and-under need it signed by their parents.

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    so um... I may be getting a job and won't be able to go on the super trip

I won't know till monday probably.

sorry

futility on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Well, as it turns out, my car and health insurance rates went WAY up last month, and after talking to BCBS and Progressive, they're oging to stay that way. Which means the money I wad budgeted out for the supertrip will be going to keeping me driving and well.

To the point, if I don't get enough money to pay gas there and back, money for crash space Friday and Sunday, food money, and of course admission into PAX... I'll be coordinating the WCST from my computer instead of int he flagship car.

If anyone can helpo out, please let me know. I've got a few games, a 400W power supply, and an old computer to sell...

If I do get the money, that's excellent. If not... well, at least I had fun organizing everything.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Okay, and a quick money-saving tip for those looking for a hotel: I was able to make a successful bid about a month ago for a hotel up the street from PAX for 28$ a night. You can get a similar deal, most likely, if you start agressively bidding on Priceline... NOW.

So those of you looking for cheaper accommodations, start hitting up priceline STAT.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I only have one order for 3 shirts so far (plus my own for 2 shirts)

I need you guys to place your orders by Monday!

T-shirt is $16
    Bumper Sticker is $2.50

Paypal ID is ben184@yahoo.com (go to Paypal site, and click "Send Money" tab)

Email is Ben@Doidic.com

Please; let's make this happen!

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    7 shirts ordered total, so far, and a couple of stickers...

I need a minimum of 20 shirts by Monday!

ben184 on
  • Options
    Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    gah! i lost a passenger!

alright, if anyone in sacramento is looking for a ride up, give me a hollar, because I could really use another passenger on the way up to help split the cost of gas :)

You can look up my car on the WCST site, its the one nicknamed "The Hoebag" (Take care though, as of now it still says there is no space in my car, but there is now)

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    DJBreslin wrote:
    Have we determined how we are going to communicate in order to effectively meet up at each waypoint? The schedule on the website isn't necessarily official (is it?) and even if it was, it will likely go off-track at some point.

So, how do we know when the WCST is approaching each waypoint? I remember reading something about a bunch of cell phone calling on approach. Which means everyone will have to have their phone #s to RMD and/or Ben.

Or, is there something else?

DJ and Kurgan (via email) bring up good points. I think having a Waypoint Captain (copyright Shaun, 2004) at each rallypoint would really help keep the caravan moving smoothly through each stop.

What I am looking for is a responsible person, who will be on time (or early) to his choosen waypoint, and has a cell phone. It will be his responsibility to make sure everyone who was suppose to join at their waypoint, is present. If they are not present, it will be their responsibilty to contact them, and find out why. Finally, they will be the main conatct between the waypoint, and the moving caravan (get ETA updates, etc.)

SO, Waypoint Captains:

Phoenix: ???
    Anaheim: Benoit Doidic; cell (805) 217-4149
    Sacramento: ???
    Eugene: ???
    Portland: ???

Who want to fill-in a blank?

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Sigma_100 wrote:
    (Take care though, as of now it still says there is no space in my car, but there is now)

No it doesn't; give me more than 3 minutes to change it! Sheesh...

ben184 on