As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX West Coast Supertrip

• Options
    ben184ben184 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, as it turns out, my car and health insurance rates went WAY up last month, and after talking to BCBS and Progressive, they're oging to stay that way. Which means the money I wad budgeted out for the supertrip will be going to keeping me driving and well.

To the point, if I don't get enough money to pay gas there and back, money for crash space Friday and Sunday, food money, and of course admission into PAX... I'll be coordinating the WCST from my computer instead of int he flagship car.

If anyone can helpo out, please let me know. I've got a few games, a 400W power supply, and an old computer to sell...

If I do get the money, that's excellent. If not... well, at least I had fun organizing everything.

I hate to make it look like we're ignoring RMD's situation...

Any one have any ideas?

I was thinking that when (and if) you place your order for T-shirts and stickers, maybe you could tack on a few extra bucks for RMD? It may not be enough for PAX, but I'm sure it would be appreciated.

ben184 on
  • Options
    QuethalQuethal The Infrequent OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Damn, I don't have a cell phone... If one of my friends with a cell phone can go, I'll volunteer, though I obviously shouldn't be counted in until I know if he's going.

By the way, I'm happy to pitch in some money for RMD; anyone else? Afterall, he set up the whole idea, and has put a lot of his own time into this, helping to get it off the ground. I think it'd be a great thing if we could all come together and throw in some money. If we make a conservative estimate of fifty people on the trip, and an overestimate of a need for 400 dollars, that means everyone needs to pitch in just eight dollars for him.

I'll personally get the ball rolling by donating forty dollars to the RMD cause.

-Kyle

Quethal on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    ben184 wrote:
    DJBreslin wrote:
    Have we determined how we are going to communicate in order to effectively meet up at each waypoint?
    SO, Waypoint Captains:

Phoenix: ???
    Anaheim: Benoit Doidic; cell (805) 217-4149
    Sacramento: ???
    Eugene: ???
    Portland: ???

Who want to fill-in a blank?

I'll fill in a blank...

Waypoint Captains:

Phoenix: ???
    Portland: DJ Breslin; cell (503) 708-3041

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    so i am now definately not going on the supertrip. sorry. I need to be available on thurs fri mon so I just can't do it. sorry

futility on
  • Options
    Sigma_100Sigma_100 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    ben184 wrote:
    Sigma_100 wrote:
    (Take care though, as of now it still says there is no space in my car, but there is now)

No it doesn't; give me more than 3 minutes to change it! Sheesh...

hahah!! i posted the messege here before e-mailing you, and i didn't expect a reply like 2 minutes later :lol:

EDIT: regarding RMD's problem... i can't really donate too much, as im on a pretty tight budget... and i cant get him money over the internet, as i will be using my mom's credit card for getting a hotel and such... but hey, i'd be happy to slap $20 in his hands once he gets to sacramento

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Well, as it turns out, my car and health insurance rates went WAY up last month, and after talking to BCBS and Progressive, they're oging to stay that way. Which means the money I wad budgeted out for the supertrip will be going to keeping me driving and well.

To the point, if I don't get enough money to pay gas there and back, money for crash space Friday and Sunday, food money, and of course admission into PAX... I'll be coordinating the WCST from my computer instead of int he flagship car.

If anyone can helpo out, please let me know. I've got a few games, a 400W power supply, and an old computer to sell...

If I do get the money, that's excellent. If not... well, at least I had fun organizing everything.

Okay kids, I think we need to do something about this :P For all the work that went in to just some suggestion that we should make a carpool effort to organizing a massive, west coast movement of gamers and PA fans alike, there should be a little bit of giving back.

How big of trouble is the budget situation anyhow m'dear? Let's put a figure on this monster and begin to take it apart piece by piece - how much will a piece of gas money cost you from where you need to go to Bellevue? If you split rooms over the time that you need one, how much do you think that would be? Anyone willing to give him a corner to nap in? *g*

And if you want to sell your soul and be adopted by me, I'm more than willing to feed you on Saturday, Sunday and register you for PAX. All you have to do is put up with me and my crazy friends :D - and my method of making sub sandwhiches. We're bringing up a lot of our own food and setting up base at the hotel.

Warning: Above offer is not available to everyone, I don't need that many pets O_O;

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    If RMD needs a hotel room he can crash in mine. I already have him in my car anyways. So that's two out of three. As for PAX if he needs help paying the entrance fee I don't think that will be a problem. Shaun and RMD think I shouldn't pay anything for my gas but I think that's ridiculous and am suggesting a three way split. If his financial troubles are too much we can make it a two way split between Shaun and I. I really don't mind. Another words, RMD, you're taken care of by at least me and certainly everyone on the trip you helped organize.

--Head

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Just an update for everyone...

The bulk order of screenprinted T-shirts did not meet the minimum number requirement (only 7 ordered).

I have called all those who had placed an order, and refunded money.

If you still want a T-shirt or sticker, go to the Cafepress site, and place the order. They take 2-3 business days to process, and then UPS Ground takes 1-5 days, so you should recieve your order next Monday if you place your order today.

To give you an idea about cost, my order:
    XXL shirt ($8.99+$3 for XXL size) + Sticker ($2.99) + CA tax + UPS Ground Shipping ($6.10) = $22.92

Be sure to select UPS Ground ($6.00) at least; NOT Super Saver Shipping ($4.00). Your order my not arrive by August 26th...

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Waypoint Captains:

Phoenix: Matt Dempsey; cell (602) 295-0384
    or
    RMD; cell and status unknown
    Portland: DJ Breslin; cell (503) 708-3041

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    RMD's needs:

Food
    - from Phoenix to Anaheim (???)
    - from Anaheim up to Bellevue (ben184)
    - at PAX (Nightingale)
    - from Bellevue back to Phoenix (???)

Transportation
    - from Phoenix to Bellevue (headicusprime)
    - from Bellevue to Phoenix (headicusprime)

PAX registration
    - (headicusprime)

T-shirt
    (???)

Hotel
    (headicusprime)

Other
    - $20 (Sigma_100)
    - (???)

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    The PA forums sure are slow. Damn mySQL, and its non-scalability!

ben184 on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Although I said I would bring some Bawls along for the drivers, Im gonna have to cancel on that due to having less money then I anticipated since I had forgot about my car registration(and a last minute realization that I needed a smog check too) and college registration... So, anyone that wants some is gonna have to grab their own Bawls...

Oh, and just ordered my shirt, it better arrive in time, I meant to order it sooner.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    *grabs own bawls*

-Kyle

Quethal on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Aye, I think it should be generally agreed that everyone should grab their own bawls, and most certainly keep their bawls to themselves. So no grabbing other people's bawls, no matter what flavor other people told you they were.

Now, if two consenting adults wish to reach for each other's bawls, that's another issue entirely: but that should also be left out of the public domain. What a man does with his bawls in the privacy of his own hotel room is entirely his choice.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    galen_myth1galen_myth1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    With only one week remaining, is everyone prepared? All registered, reservations taken care of, socks and underwear, fresh bawls and everything? Also is there anything that I may have forgotten? Anyways, just checking. See you all in one week!

galen_myth1 on
    "You use weird things"-Dingo from ZOE 2

XBL:MythPlus

anyone for halo? :winky:
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    What galen said is right - everyone be prepared. Get everything set. And for God's sake, make sure that your Bawls stay fresh for the duration of the trip. Take whatever steps you feel necessary to prevent the spoiling of your Bawls.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    :shock:

oh man, i refuse to join in this conversation, as i havent got the bawls *uh hyuk, uh hyuk*

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited August 2004
    I'm out of town that weekend so I won't be able to make it to PAX with you guys, but my Bawls will be with you in spirit...

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    When one has Bawls of steel, spoiling isn't a concern, as I'm sure you already know =P

-Kyle

Quethal on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Is there still time to regester for the WCST? My mom just got her schudlue worked out today and I can go.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    Is there still time to regester for the WCST? My mom just got her schudlue worked out today and I can go.

where do ya live? i've got one space open in "The Hoebag", and I could definitely use another passenger to help pay for gas

Sigma_100 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Sigma_100 wrote:
    ZeroZero wrote:

where do ya live? i've got one space open in "The Hoebag", and I could definitely use another passenger to help pay for gas

I have my own ride. I just need to regester so they know I'm comming.

• Options
    Red Machine DRed Machine D __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Just a few days away now. Who's fucking PSYCHED? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Who's fucking PSYCHED?

I'd be psyched out of my mother fucking mind if I could just get a ride lined up.:( Every car listed on the WCST get a ride page that's departing from Phoenix is already full. Even if it was one way from Phoenix to Bellevue and I had to fly back to the Valley of the sun I'd be happy... If anyone driving up from Phoenix or Tucson has a free seat available hit me back ASAP. I'm licensed, ready and willing to lend a hand with driving duties and chip in a fair share of the fuel costs.

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    NightingaleNightingale Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Who's fucking PSYCHED?

Most definitely, even if I'm not part of the supertrip nor will I be able to get the day off work to see everyone gathering at Clackamas :\ Time to break out the shoe polish and start decorating the cars! ^^;
    SnowGhost wrote:
    I'd be psyched out of my mother fucking mind if I could just get a ride lined up.:( Every car listed on the WCST get a ride page that's departing from Phoenix is already full. Even if it was one way from Phoenix to Bellevue and I had to fly back to the Valley of the sun I'd be happy... If anyone driving up from Phoenix or Tucson has a free seat available hit me back ASAP. I'm licensed, ready and willing to lend a hand with driving duties and chip in a fair share of the fuel costs.

Really? *kerblinks* I checked the page and I saw a few slots opened from Phoenix though one was a one-way vehicle only. Take another gander. Or perhaps I'm reading the page wrong XD

Nightingale on
    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Hey folks.

I might possibly need a short lift from Irvine (near UCI) to the Los Angeles area (near UCLA).

Anyone heading that way with some free space? :(

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    SnowGhostSnowGhost Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    I checked the page and I saw a few slots opened from Phoenix though one was a one-way vehicle only.

At a glance it appears that three seats departing from Phoenix are open, two roundtrips and one one-way. However, the only one that replied to me with an open seat was the one-way ride, and I can't raise him to confirm availability. I've, sadly, already decided to fly :cry:. I have to be back to school on the evening of the 30th anyway. Next year, assuming PAX is to become an annual event, if I don't have a car of my own that'll make the trip I'm renting one.

With travel and lodging logistics out of the way I am now, officially, psyched... a little disappointed that I won't be rolling with the WCST, but psyched nonetheless. I still owe Red a drink (Jägermeister :twisted:?).
    *kerblinks*

That has to be the girlyest thing I've ever seen on the PA forums... kawaii <3

SnowGhost on
  • Options
    BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    what the hell is bawls

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    what the hell is bawls

Something you don't have.

An energy drink.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    red bull is one of the worst drinks ever concocted...does it taste like red bull?

Borfase on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    No, it does not taste like Red Bull... It actually tastes good, and is loaded with caffeine.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    Is there still time to regester for the WCST?

Yes. You can register at the door. Costs $15 for 1 day, $25 for both days.

Preregistration ended on the 17th. If you preregistered, you got a 10% discount and were entered into the omegathon.

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Tomorrow, I will post a PDF file.

This PDF file will contain all paperwork you will need for the WCST (waiver, minors crossing state lines, PAX legal form, maps, schedules, contacts)

If you are participating in the WCST, download the PDF tomorrow and print it!

ben184 on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Total participants as of July 4: 72

Tentative Phoenix Depature Date: Thursday, August 26, 2004

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. This is where the greatest road trip ever assembled, the 2004 Penny Arcade Expo West Coast Supertrip, will be planned, organized, and set into motion.

What we are planning here is a road trip of mass proportions. Various PAers that are going to attend PAX are gathering en masse to hit the road together in a journey of epic proportions.

The Supertrip will begin in Phoenix, Arizona. The Supertrip will be hitting all the major west coast cities: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and finally, Seattle, the destination of this great caravan. The journey will come together in a series of rally points in all the major cities, where the existing caravan will pass through and new joinees will latch on and make the caravan bigger and better.

Tuscon, Phoenix, and Flagstaff people will rally in Phoenix. San Diego and Los Angeles people will rally in Los Angeles. San Jose, Bay Area people, Sacramento and Reno people will rally in Sacramento. Las Vegas people can choose to rally in any of the four locations, but Phoenix or Los Angeles are recommended. People between Salem and Roseburg will rally in Eugene, and those in Salem, the Metro Area, the Coast, and Longview will rally in Portland.

The caravan will begin in Phoenix and head west on the I-10 to Los Angeles. It will then go northbound on the I-5 until it reaches Sacramento, where the people who have rallied in Sacramento will join. Afterward, the caravan will pick up new joinees in Redding, Medford, Eugene, and Portland, before arriving in Seattle.

The issue now is rally points. Every city we stop in will need a primary rally point for the caravan to pick up new people. For this, we will need ideas, and perhaps volunteers.

Current confirmed rally points are as follows: Currently, we need rally points for:
    • Portland

So far, we have numerous suggestions for activities during the Supertrip, most notably the idea of a traveling wireless LAN party. To pull this off, we will need people with a great deal of experience in wireless networking to assist us in the execution of this plan.

There are also a few things we're going to need for identification, ceremonial, and aesthetic purposes, such as flags, banners, stickers, window clings, and possibly articles of clothing (such as t-shirts). If anyone can help with the creation or acquisition of these items, email PAdiamondback@gmail.com with your ideas and/or methods of acquisition.

Most of all, WE NEED DRIVERS AND AUTOMOBILES. If it can be done, with enough drivers and rotating shifts, we can motor through the entire Supertrip in just over 24 hours. However, if there is to be partying and many stops for tourist activities (which is almost assuredly going to happen), the Supertrip will take about three days total. To this end, I request that anyone who can drive or has an automobile that will be able to make the journey email me at PAdiamondback@gmail.com with the following:
    • Subject line "SUPERTRIP DRIVER" if you can drive -or-
    • Subject line "SUPERTRIP AUTOMOBILE if you have an avilable automobile that can make the trip
    • Your location and nearest waypoint
    • Your name, email address, and any instant messaging client ID you use

This has the potential to be an unforgettable journey, ladies and gentlemen. I, as well as many of you, want to see this happen.

To register for the 2004 Penny Arcade Expo West Coast Supertrip, email PAdiamondback@gmail.com with the subject line "SUPERTRIP ENTRY", with your name, location, and closest waypoint. We will be creating a database within the next week of all entrants as they come in.

Let's do this, folks. Let's make the Supertrip a reality.

Any questions, comments, or recommendations for waypoints should also be emailed to PAdiamondback@gmail.com.

This thread will be updated as waypoints are confirmed and solidified.

6-16: Eliminated Stockton and Vancouver from waypoints list.

6-17: Added Eugene to the list of waypoints. Cleaned up thread a little. Added request for banners/flags/etc.

6-18: Added Phoenix, Sacramento, and Los Angeles waypoints.

7-4: Announced total participants as of July 4. Added tentative depature date.

because he's jailed

Borfase on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    ben184 wrote:
    ZeroZero wrote:
    Is there still time to regester for the WCST?

Yes. You can register at the door. Costs $15 for 1 day, $25 for both days.

Preregistration ended on the 17th. If you preregistered, you got a 10% discount and were entered into the omegathon.

I preregsetered for PAX and just wnated to know if there was time to get into the WCST still. I sen't RMD an email but got no conformation.

• Options
    edited August 2004
    I lost the password to the WCST Gmail acocunt. Sorry guys.

also, the deadline to enter in the Supertrip is when we arrive at your rally point. So no worries.

ZeroZero, we'll let you in, even though you're a filthy Oregoncitian.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Also, I'm definitely going on the trip now. Those of you who have graciously offered help, I thank you greatly, and I'm going to do my damndest to make the sure the execution of this trip goes off perfectly.

those of you who have offered help, please email me at redmachined@gmail com or AIM me, so i can speak with you about how we're going to do this an dhow i'm going to reimburse you.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    I lost the password to the WCST Gmail acocunt. Sorry guys.

also, the deadline to enter in the Supertrip is when we arrive at your rally point. So no worries.

ZeroZero, we'll let you in, even though you're a filthy Oregoncitian.

So, I'm in?

• Options
    edited August 2004
    Yes, you are in. Even though your hometown sucks and floods everytime it does a little more than drizzle.

And you have a giant elevator that doesn't even work. I mean what the fuck.

I'm just fuckin' with ya, man. I can do that because I'm a native Oregonian. And because I was born and raised in Portland, and Portland is infinitely better than Oregon City... even if you do guard us from Molalla.

Red Machine D on
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    oh damnit and i just e-mailed you about stuff RMD!

alright ill just paste it on here:

The $20 is all yours, no reimbursements necessary.

as for the method of payment, i was planning on giving you the "secret money handshake" but i am really lazy, so i will probably just give it to you non-handshake-style when you show up at the Fry's in sacramento.

and while i'm e-mailing you, i might as well ask just to be sure... will you guys be calling us over the phone when you're within sacramento city limits, or should we head over to fry's at around 10:00 - 10:30 and wait for you?

If you're gonna call us, ill have to give you my dad's cell phone number (which i dont know off the top of my head), because im going to be picking up galen myth before heading to fry's, and he lives like 45 minutes from there.

er... im going to be taking my dad's phone with me of course. :)

EDIT: keep in mind that this message was originally an e-mail, and im really lazy and didnt change it at all

Sigma_100 on