Options

IGN's top 10 game franchises that jumped the shark.

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thinking back to an earlier post in regards to Starfox. I'd love to see the next Starfox actually done in house this time. :)

I'd also love to see some kick-ass control schemes. :)

I picture, holding the Wiimote like one of those Jet stearing wheel thingies. You know, the vertical stick thingy. Anyway, holding the controller vertical, with your thumb on the A, finger on the B. Pulling back to ascend, pushing forward to decend.

Then, the Nunchuck would be your throttle, held sideways. :)

Man... I could daydream controller schemes all day.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what this list is missing? King's Quest.

It totally jumped the shark with The Princeless Bride.

I actually don't think something counts as jumping the shark when there were only two games that were moderately bad and there hasn't been a new one in like ten years.

Of the series on that list, the only ones that I really feel jumped the shark were Sonic, Tomb Raider, Turok, and Pac Man.

Sonic, as we all know, started to suck after the first Sonic Adventure (some say during, but I liked it with the exception of Big the Cat) but looks to be reviving itself with the Wii and DS versions, as well as Sonic's inevitable inclusion in Smash Bros Brawl.

Tomb Raider became nothing more than a punchline after the second one, but it also redeemed itself with the release of Legend, and is looking to return to its awesomeness.

Turok... well... OH GOD! IT'S EATING THROUGH THE SUIT!

Pac Man... good lord, I don't know where to begin. I think it was the cartoon that killed it. Or maybe the endless string of shitty games. They released a remake of the original with a goddamned JUMP BUTTON! WHAT THE HELL! THAT DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE!

As for the others on the list:

Worms - Worms is still great. I recently played the Xbox Arcade version and the game is still tons of fun. Armageddon was the apex of the series thus far, and 3D was a burp in the universe as far as I'm concerned.

Star Fox - The problem with the series is Star Fox Adventures. That is, according to most, the only bad game thus far in an otherwise amazing group of games. And Adventure doesn't even count, since it wasn't a Star Fox game so much as a crappy Rare collect-a-thon with Fox, Falco, and Andross shoehorned in there.

Street Fighter - I don't know why this is on the list. Yes there were a lot of sequels, but the games were all good... CvS2? Marvel vs Capcom 2? Third Strike? C'mon IGN, at least try and back it up.

Tony Hawk - I enjoy the Tony Hawk games. They lost their way with THUG2, and the novelty of seeing Benjamin Franklin grind rails around Philadelphia didn't outweigh how stupid it was, but they're getting back on track with Downhill and Project 8.

Mega Man - Yes there have been a number of bad Mega Man games, but so what? The release of X Collection just demonstrated how well the series has aged, and the Battle Network games are quite awesome in their own right.

Dynasty Warrriors - I can't comment on this one as I dont' particularly care for the series.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Now, if we're talking about what series jumped the shark the fastest, I think the crown goes, unequivocally, to Viewtiful Joe.

Poor bastard Joe...

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was amazed by Joe's absence from the list.

The only reason I added VJ2 to my collection was because I got it for less than $10, and it's still shrinkwrapped.

Not even going to pay $1 for Red Hot Rumble.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think it may have something to do with the fact that VJ really only got one good game.

I don't care what anyone says, VJ2 was terrible.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Star Fox and Street Fighter?

How?

Wasn't Third Strike insanely popular?

And I'm pretty sure Nintendo have redeemed themselves tenfold with Assault and Command.

The only complaint you can make with them is trying to live up to perfection(64), which I don't expect.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DeckerDecker Registered User new member
    edited February 2007
    Romance of the Three Kingdoms anyone?

Decker on
    katamari.jpg
    XBL Gamertag: Deck3r
    Now playing : Neverwinter Nights, X-Men: Legends, and Katamari Damacy
    My DVD Collection
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »

How?

And I'm pretty sure Nintendo have redeemed themselves tenfold with Assault and Command.

The only complaint you can make with them is trying to live up to perfection(64), which I don't expect.

I agree completely.

StarFox - amazing
    StarFox 64 - absolutely amazing
    Dinosaur Planet - crappy Rare game with Nintendo IP shoehorned in to sell more copies
    StarFox Assault - good game
    StarFox Command - good game, interesting take on gameplay

So.. One game that really didn't 'intend' to be a StarFox game sucked, out of 5 great games, and the series "jumped the gun" in the way that Turok, Pacman, and Tomb Raider did? Phaugh.

Also, yes, SFIII is still extremely popular, and is considered by many to be the best 2D fighting game ever.

The reason people like IGN reviewers think that it "didn't live up to the original"? Because they probably didn't play it on a level beyond "pick Ken, throw fireballs. Wash/rinse/repeat. This is just like SFII. This is weaksauce. This is also not 3D. This is the future, man. Games have to be 3D now to be impressive."

slash000 on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

How?

*coughStreetFighterEXcough*

FreddyD on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How about every single Bond game after Goldeneye?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    kriegs wrote: »
    I'm confused by this little bit on Turok:

"When Acclaim hit a financial iceberg, it appeared Turok would be put to rest. Not so. Disney Interactive is reviving the franchise."

Disney Interactive? Wtf? Are they gonna include... The Land Before Time characters in it?
    ...I highly doubt that Disney would put Land Before Time characters in anything.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They said Worms: Armageddon was what? Those bastards! Armageddon was so freakin sweet. I never beat it though. I just played quick match all the time. Still incredibly fun.

Starfox had one bad game, an average one, and three good ones. Doesn't seem like it has taken a turn for the worst.

I don't like Dynasty Warriors, but I wouldn't say it has "jumped the shark". I know a lot of people that really like the games. All of them.

And I completely expected Sonic as #1.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Has Seiken Densetu been mentioned?

I'd say that would be the biggest case of shark jumping if I ever saw one.

I haven't heard good things about Dawn of Mana, either.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Z didn't have enough games to be a franchise, but what the hell happened in between Z and Z: Steel Soldiers? Last I heard, the Bitmap Brothers are working on an updated version of the original 97 title.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So uh... I thought the point of jumping the shark was there is a single moment that shows that the series has exhausted its ideas. In Happy Days when Fonzie jumped the shark it was a moment where the plots went rediculous and you knew that it was past its prime. IGN's list doesn't seem like it really has any jump the shark moments. Truthfully the list could be called "Series that have worn out their welcome" and it would make more sense.

Just a few examples:
    Mega Man: I don't believe its possible to say it ever jumped the shark when they state the Mega Man 2 was the pinnacle of the series and all other games lack originality... yet Battle Network was about a decade after Mega Man 2, spawned a legion of fans, made more money then the classic series, and other then another Battle Network game I haven't seen another game with the same battle system.

Street Fighter: I don't think incremental updates to the game can be considered a bad thing for an arcade game. Is there an arcade series that does not do this? The reason so many Street Fighter games made it to market is because there was a demand for what they provided. After the many versions of SF2 though capcom released SF3 and its 3 iterations. SF3TS is still considered by many to be the high point of fighting games.

Starfox: Its had 5 games total. Only one of them is considered by me to be bad. I think Star Fox as a series has good ideas left in it.

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

"When Acclaim hit a financial iceberg, it appeared Turok would be put to rest. Not so. Disney Interactive is reviving the franchise."

Disney Interactive? Wtf? Are they gonna include... The Land Before Time characters in it?
    ...I highly doubt that Disney would put Land Before Time characters in anything.

Disney should totally make a game where the main character hunts other companies' IPs.
    Hey, they fixed the quote trees. Score.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Everything or Nothing was pretty good.

I also heard that From Russia With Love was decent, but I've not played it yet.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Sorry, apparently Universal made TLBT. I just said that since it was the only kiddie movie with dinosaurs that I could think of.

kriegs on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For most of them, there was a fairly specific point in time where people said "Wait a minute. What the hell?"

For Street Fighter, it was about when we got into the Alpha series and we all thought "Isn't there supposed to be a Street Fighter 3 here? That- that IS what comes after 2, isn't it?"

For Sonic it was very definate: Sonic Adventure. The INSTANT Sonic hit the third dimension proper, everybody turned. Some of us were slower to admit it (I hung on until Sonic Riders), but we all knew deep down.

Mega Man, I'd have to say MM4. There are some who say MM3, as it was the first baby step down from MM2, but MM4 to me is it. It wasn't completely clear that MM3 was the first step downhill- it was still a great game. MM4, though, blew, and then Mega Man had to recover from that point, and he never really did get back up to MM2/3 levels.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Laws, yes. Dawn's been getting withering reviews in Japan since release. I understand trying to keep the series fresh, and it's a testament to the art style that's it's kept the series alive for so long, but is it such a big deal to make another title in the vein of Seiken 2 and 3? Those're the only Manas with broad-based support.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    For Sonic it was very definate: Sonic Adventure. The INSTANT Sonic hit the third dimension proper, everybody turned. Some of us were slower to admit it (I hung on until Sonic Riders), but we all knew deep down.

But... but I liked Sonic Adventure :( Sure, Big was a really, REALLY stupid character to play as, but the rest of the game was fun.

Hell, I even liked Sonic 3D Blast. Ah... the good ol' days of Sega Channel. Best. Invention. Ever.

kriegs on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wish they'd just hurry up and do an SF4 with the Alpha characters finally treated like part of the main cast.

SF3 was okay and all, but I still prefer Alpha for whatever reason.
    (Probably because I really, really suck at SF3, and I have Alpha down to a science.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They'd have to contract somebody to do an SF4, though, since Capcom proper doesn't have anyone left to make a good 2D fighter.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BlackDog85BlackDog85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's already been pointed out why StarFox doesn't belong there. Granted, Assault was a bit of a let-down for me, as I had been hoping for something more akin to 64 than what I got, but at least it was a step back in the right direction after one, yes, ONE mediocre title.

Mega Man doesn't belong, either. Reading it, it seemed as if they were including the X series as a reason why it jumped the shark, when, really, the X series was a pretty different take on the Mega Man formula. Similar? Certainly. But to ignore the importance of the X-armor power ups and the improved storytelling that the first X game brought to the franchise? What the hell?

Sadly, Sonic belongs on the list. It kills me to say that. I agree with what was said before, bring back the ol' Freedom Fighters from the cartoon, as they were actually fleshed out, developed characters...

Oh, wait. Not only does that likely have no prayer of happening, but I'm shuddering as I type this while I imagine what Sega's writing team would do to those characters. Ugh. Rotor would probably speak like Big the Cat, wouldn't he?

BlackDog85 on
    KeithBeKnives.png
    Wii Code: 5700 4466 3616 6981 (PM if y'all add me)
  • Options
    ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell yes! I don't ask much from a Bond game, or any FPS. I simply ask that the developers play Goldeneye and take all the concepts that worked in that game as a starting point, then add to it.

I played one of the GC Bond games, it was either Nightfire or Agent Under Fire, and I returned it the next day. Just unplayable filth, purely because they ignored the fact that a previous game set standards years before which they then failed to live up to.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

How?

Star Fox seems reasonable, but I don't get SF's rationale. While SF2 did receive numerous updates, none dropped in quality, and SF3 is the best fighting game ever made, by far.
    I wish they'd just hurry up and do an SF4 with the Alpha characters finally treated like part of the main cast.

SF3 was okay and all, but I still prefer Alpha for whatever reason.
    (Probably because I really, really suck at SF3, and I have Alpha down to a science.)

Then play Alpha. SF3 is perfect in every conceivable way, there's no possibility for improvement. (Well, aside for some slight balance tweaks. Genei-jin, Chun-Li, and Ken could use some weakening.)

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Methinks IGN is retarded.

Methought this for a long time, and me was right.
    The concept is gaming gold: A historically-accurate action/strategy game set during the end of the Han Dynasty. Released 10 years ago, the first Dynasty Warriors was actually a typical fighting game. It soon evolved and expanded to become a strategic action title. In the past ten years, more than two-dozen versions of Dynasty Warriors (including several spin-offs) have been released. Little has truly changed from game to game over the past five years, leading to mind-numbing redundancy. Though KOEI has attempted to re-invigorate the franchise by altering the historical settings, Dynasty Warriors has fizzled. Excellent sales numbers will likely lead to another decade of titles, but creatively this series was spent a long time ago.

Yeah...uh...how is that jumping the shark exactly? It's a bullshit, boring franchise, and has been from the get-go. If anything, the above description is a good example of a series that has done the exact opposite of jumping the shark. If anything, it SHOULD jump some fucking sharks and possibly perk the series up.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    You do realize that pretty much every Sonic game ever had tons of sections that forced you to slow down, right?

Spinning thorn bridge in Green Hill Zone Act 1 what?

Even that doesn't slow me down like getting through Marble Ruin Zones... I can jump the bridge, or at least the thorns.
    Fawful wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    God dammit. Why doesn't Capcom make another sequel to Megaman Legends? ML2 is one of my favorite PS1 games :(.
    Cuz they're too busy making MM Battle Network 37 Ruby and Sapphire editions.

MegaMan Star Force, now. At least they ended the proper BN storyline.
    Aydr wrote: »
    Oh, Mario jumped the shark.

He also jumped the blooper, koopa, pirahana plant, and just about anything else you can think of. And it's still awesome every time. As for Mario Party, none of them are actually bad games either. Sure some of them are the exact same game, but that exact same game is still an ok game at worst.

Come to think of it, I really do have yet to come across a Mario game I didn't like. Yes, that includes his edutainment games.

As much as I want to, I don't love every Mario game. Sorry, Pinball just didn't do much for me (probably because I'm not much good at pinball to start with), and while there are parts of Mario vs. DK that I love, I found stages in it more frustrating than DK'94, and less entertaining.

But, Mario has more than enough quality titles under his banner that I think "jumped the shark" would definitely not apply.
    Kor wrote: »
    Whereas making Shadow play EXACTLY like Sonic, Rogue like Knuckles, etc... This just makes things boring.

I sort of see why they did that in SA2, since it was like one game in two parts...
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Now, if we're talking about what series jumped the shark the fastest, I think the crown goes, unequivocally, to Viewtiful Joe.

Poor bastard Joe...

There was another list recently on another site (damn if I can find it, though) that did have Viewtiful Joe...

Oh! Here we are. This one's a "Top 7" of games that have been "driven into the ground," though.

As regards Street Fighter, I actually derived some enjoyment from the EX games.

In any case, I think it takes more than one iffy game to truly "jump the shark." Sometimes you stumble with an idea. It happens.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Regarding the FF discussions, If I were going to say FF jumped the shark, I would say it was the transition from FF6 to FF7. The change from ingame cutscenes to massive CGI scenes. The loss of real armor sets for strange quirky things like a bracer and a sword. FF7 was the beginning of a major change in the series, when it went from a strong, complex RPG to a very movie-esque experience that every game since then has become. Every game since FF7 has moved further and further away from the actual combat and focusing more on the story itself. The change has become so great that in FF12 you barely play your characters.

This isn't to say that I didn't like FF7 or FF12 (haven't played that one yet). But I'm just playing devil's advocate on the jump the shark ideas.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    skace wrote: »
    Regarding the FF discussions, If I were going to say FF jumped the shark, I would say it was the transition from FF6 to FF7. The change from ingame cutscenes to massive CGI scenes. The loss of real armor sets for strange quirky things like a bracer and a sword. FF7 was the beginning of a major change in the series, when it went from a strong, complex RPG to a very movie-esque experience that every game since then has become. Every game since FF7 has moved further and further away from the actual combat and focusing more on the story itself. The change has become so great that in FF12 you barely play your characters.

This isn't to say that I didn't like FF7 or FF12 (haven't played that one yet). But I'm just playing devil's advocate on the jump the shark ideas.

I couldn't disagree more. If we're going to place a definitive line as to where FF changed, it's between FFV and FFVI, not FFVI and FFVII.

The series has had an abundance of "cutscenes" since the second or third title, they simply were rendered completely in engine until the technology let them do more.

There was a distinct shift in storytelling style from FFV to FFVI, but I think it was for the better, rather than the worse. Since then, things have gone back and forth between good and mediocre, with occasional moments of great.

Also, I think pointing at something like changes in equipment management is just silly. It's all just numbers being moved around, and doesn't really make much difference.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Nope, jumped the shark with whatever 8 was called.

Now, that was an abortion.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Synonymous wrote: »

Laws, yes. Dawn's been getting withering reviews in Japan since release. I understand trying to keep the series fresh, and it's a testament to the art style that's it's kept the series alive for so long, but is it such a big deal to make another title in the vein of Seiken 2 and 3? Those're the only Manas with broad-based support.

I really liked Dawn of Mana.

Thanks for reminding me how much the slew of reviews we're due from whining fanboys when it gets released over in the West are really going to piss me off.

Anyway, carry on.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Games don't really jump the shark the way TV shows do. It's a little like saying 'Scooby Doo' has jumped the shark -- just hire some new writers and animators! Games and cartoons can always be revived if the price is right, whereas no one can remake Happy Days.

Anyway, I'll just stick to the one I know about. Team17 needs to sell the worms IP to a company that knows what it's doing. All they need to do is hook up Worms: Armageddon with a matchmaking/ranking service and then throw that shit up on XBLA. Free money!

Instead, I saw a link on Kotaku the other day that said that they had to delay the release due to quality control. What a surprise! I love that T17 is still indie, so to speak, but it's frustrating that my favorite 2D game hasn't budged in almost 10 years.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Yeah, 5, 6, and 7 were probably the best in the series. Then 8 The Mask of Eternity came along, changed the game from Point and Click adventure to point and click hacknslash, and had pratically had nothing to do with the rest of the series.

I'd sell my soul for a true King's Quest 8....sell it so hard.

Edit: what, no Strikethrough on these new fangled forums :'(

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Reigner wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

Yeah, 5, 6, and 7 were probably the best in the series. Then 8 The Mask of Eternity came along, changed the game from Point and Click adventure to point and click hacknslash, and had pratically had nothing to do with the rest of the series.

I'd sell my soul for a true King's Quest 8....sell it so hard.

Edit: what, no Strikethrough on these new fangled forums :'(
    I have no idea what the popular concensus is on it, but KQ7 sucked hard. I really hated 5 too, but I know it got rave reviews because it was one of the first CD based games out there. 6 I generally liked, but I think you'd have a hard time topping KQ3 and KQ4 as the top of the series.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    RedShell wrote: »
    Games don't really jump the shark the way TV shows do. It's a little like saying 'Scooby Doo' has jumped the shark -- just hire some new writers and animators! Games and cartoons can always be revived if the price is right, whereas no one can remake Happy Days.

Until the movie tries, anyway.

But I agree, there's always chance for redemption with games.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I couldn't disagree more. If we're going to place a definitive line as to where FF changed, it's between FFV and FFVI, not FFVI and FFVII.

The series has had an abundance of "cutscenes" since the second or third title, they simply were rendered completely in engine until the technology let them do more.

There was a distinct shift in storytelling style from FFV to FFVI, but I think it was for the better, rather than the worse. Since then, things have gone back and forth between good and mediocre, with occasional moments of great.

Also, I think pointing at something like changes in equipment management is just silly. It's all just numbers being moved around, and doesn't really make much difference.

My point that I was trying to show was the transition from ingame "suplemental" cut scenes that were used in FF4,5 and 6 to full on CGI cut scenes that were used to tell massive portions of the plot. It is no surprise they went back and added additional CGI movies to the re-releases of the earlier games, CGI sequences that usually look out of place too I might add.

With ingame cutscenes, the focus was on the gameplay. With CGI cut scenes, the focus has shifted to a movie experience, you are watching and enjoying the plot more so than you are actually playing. This is why I brought up the simplification of the inventory as well as the modifications to the combat system that has changed over time.

It should also be noted I'm someone who prefers and respects an engine powerful enough to provide interesting ingame cutscenes that do not pull the player out of the experience as much as seeing something in a completely different rendering.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sakaguchi always wanted to make movies, and he tried to do that with his games. As the technology got more and more powerful, the games got more and more movie-like. That was his intention from the beginning.

Renzo on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    With ingame cutscenes, the focus was on the gameplay. With CGI cut scenes, the focus has shifted to a movie experience, you are watching and enjoying the plot more so than you are actually playing. This is why I brought up the simplification of the inventory as well as the modifications to the combat system that has changed over time.

Simplification?

Sure, while with say, FFVII, there's just the weapon, a peice of armor, and an accessory. But on the other hand there's the Materia system, with dozens of complex combinations. And in FFVIII they do away with the equipment system all together. But at the same time they toss in the massive Junction system. And FFX has not only the sphere grid, but a rather deep weapon customization system.
    It should also be noted I'm someone who prefers and respects an engine powerful enough to provide interesting ingame cutscenes that do not pull the player out of the experience as much as seeing something in a completely different rendering.

As hardware's gotten more powerful, Square's used less FMV.

At the same time, however, there isn't that much of it anyways, relative to game time, at least.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm pretty amazed they put street fighter on there. Yes the first two iterations of SF3 did suck, but the alpha series was still going strong then.

If there is one thing I'd bash the SF series for it was the horrible EX series, SF should never be 3d.

Somebody mentioned Sekien Densatsu should be on there. I'd agree, except for the fact that in a way it did die. Nobody who liked the series really bothers with it anymore, or even hopes for anything decent out of it.

crash5s on