Options

IGN's top 10 game franchises that jumped the shark.

1235»

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Reigner wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    You know what this list is missing? King's Quest.

It totally jumped the shark with The Princeless Bride.

Nope, jumped the shark with whatever 8 was called.

Now, that was an abortion.

Yeah, 5, 6, and 7 were probably the best in the series. Then 8 The Mask of Eternity came along, changed the game from Point and Click adventure to point and click hacknslash, and had pratically had nothing to do with the rest of the series.

I'd sell my soul for a true King's Quest 8....sell it so hard.

Edit: what, no Strikethrough on these new fangled forums :'(
    I have no idea what the popular concensus is on it, but KQ7 sucked hard. I really hated 5 too, but I know it got rave reviews because it was one of the first CD based games out there. 6 I generally liked, but I think you'd have a hard time topping KQ3 and KQ4 as the top of the series.

I liked KQ4's story, but every spiral staircase in Tamriel can fucking die.

I also enjoyed 5, 6, and 7, but 6 was my favorite of the three. 8 was an abomination to all adventure games. Ever.

At least they never fucked up Space Quest like that.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    skace wrote: »
    With ingame cutscenes, the focus was on the gameplay. With CGI cut scenes, the focus has shifted to a movie experience, you are watching and enjoying the plot more so than you are actually playing. This is why I brought up the simplification of the inventory as well as the modifications to the combat system that has changed over time.

Simplification?

Sure, while with say, FFVII, there's just the weapon, a peice of armor, and an accessory. But on the other hand there's the Materia system, with dozens of complex combinations. And in FFVIII they do away with the equipment system all together. But at the same time they toss in the massive Junction system. And FFX has not only the sphere grid, but a rather deep weapon customization system.

Seriously. Equipment systems and advancement systems in most games, FF included, have gotten more and more complex, rather than simpler.

Up until the PSX titles, equipment selection largely amounted to "use the thing you've most recently received until you get something new", and that was it. Nowadays, especially in FFXII, I was switching around gambits and equipment constantly to better suit my strategy for a particular area or battle, requiring far more effort and forethought than any of the older titles did.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    You know what this list is missing? King's Quest.

It totally jumped the shark with The Princeless Bride.

Nope, jumped the shark with whatever 8 was called.

Now, that was an abortion.

Mask of Eternity may have been an abortion, but Princeless Bride was still shit.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    skace wrote: »
    With ingame cutscenes, the focus was on the gameplay. With CGI cut scenes, the focus has shifted to a movie experience, you are watching and enjoying the plot more so than you are actually playing. This is why I brought up the simplification of the inventory as well as the modifications to the combat system that has changed over time.

Simplification?

Sure, while with say, FFVII, there's just the weapon, a peice of armor, and an accessory. But on the other hand there's the Materia system, with dozens of complex combinations. And in FFVIII they do away with the equipment system all together. But at the same time they toss in the massive Junction system. And FFX has not only the sphere grid, but a rather deep weapon customization system.

Seriously. Equipment systems and advancement systems in most games, FF included, have gotten more and more complex, rather than simpler.

Up until the PSX titles, equipment selection largely amounted to "use the thing you've most recently received until you get something new", and that was it. Nowadays, especially in FFXII, I was switching around gambits and equipment constantly to better suit my strategy for a particular area or battle, requiring far more effort and forethought than any of the older titles did.

I think that's why I loved Skies of Arcadia so much.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I thought I had repressed this, but:

Zeldawandofgamelon1.jpg

Is there a better example of completely ripping out the soul of a series in favor of a gimmick, in this case FMV, than the 3 Zelda games on CD-i?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    With the exception of the madness that was the encounter rate, Skies was fucking awesome, and I'd love to see another game that felt nearly as epic.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't care if anyone has already mentioned the Driver series, I'm mentioning it again. It's sad that the series that inspired GTA3 had to become a clone of it. Maybe people just don't want to leave the car, ever think about that?

Kreutz on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'll consider my FF points beaten into the ground at this point, FYI :).

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I thought I had repressed this, but:

Zeldawandofgamelon1.jpg

Is there a better example of completely ripping out the soul of a series in favor of a gimmick, in this case FMV, than the 3 Zelda games on CD-i?

But those don't count, because

1) they weren't made by Nintendo

2) nobody played them, because nobody fucking bought the CD-i

3) good Zelda games followed, specifically Ocarina of fucking Time.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really liked Dawn of Mana.

Thanks for reminding me how much the slew of reviews we're due from whining fanboys when it gets released over in the West are really going to piss me off.

I'm afraid you're one of few. Apparently, the poor targeting system, camerawork, and story are big sticking points, and many people aren't fond of the "return to level 1 every stage" and Children of Mana-esque lack of towns, free exploration, or anything but dungeons. The game's price point, as with Children, took a dive the first week due to the secondary market being flooded.

Whenever you mention Legend of Mana or Sword of Mana, you'll get a big "I love that game!"/"I hate that game!" disparity of opinion. Children drowned itself in hellish repetition and has become nearly irrelevant. Now, after doing a dungeon crawler rather poorly, they're taking a stab at the strategy wargame, not Japan's strongest genre. It's not fan lack of perspective. We're just sick of a series that started so strong and gave us such a great style of action RPG spreading itself so senselessly thin. Mana's been flitting from play style to play style for years now, not executing any of them to great acclaim.

Beyond the art style, Mana hasn't established a brand identity. Only Seiken 2 & 3 have widespread support. Is it that difficult at least to try to go back to what worked?

Synonymous on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can't really say I agree with many of these.

Mega man didn't really jump the shark ever, the Megaman X games were better on the whole than the 8 bit ones and the GBA and DS games were solid. There was a period in the PS1 era where there just wasn't a market for the type of game and it suffered a bit there.

Same with street fighter. There was never a jump the shark moment, each game was pretty much superior to the last until street fighter 3, which was weak for the first couple of games then was good with 3rd strike. Other than sf3, there's a clear progression in quality from SF-->SF2-->SF Alpha --> Capcom Vs SNK2, and there was no clear point where you can say "Well here's where the series messed up". Its more just that people stopped playing fighting games in the US and there wasn't much of a market for it anymore, just like megaman. Also its an extreme exaggeration to say there were 20 iterations of street fighter 2, more like 5. Every fighting game goes through that, there have been 11 king of fighters games after all, and guilty gear has gone through as many incarnations as SF2 did.

Saying these series jumped the shark is like saying that Duran Duran jumped the shark because no one listens to 80's music anymore.

Jealous Deva on