As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eating Homeless People

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Social Entropy++
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/19/homeless.attacks/index.html/

But hey, video games made them do it

Killing Rex Baum was never part of the plan that day in 2004.

"It all started off as a game," Moore said.

The 15-year-old and his friends were taunting the homeless man -- throwing sticks and leaves -- after having a couple of beers with him.

No big deal, Moore says, but he's sorry for what came next.

It was a mistake, he said, a sudden primal surge that made him and his friends Luis Oyola, 16, and 17-year-old Andrew Ihrcke begin punching and kicking Baum.

"Luis says 'I'm gonna go hit him,' We're all laughing, thought he was joking around,'" but he wasn't, Moore concedes. "We just all started hitting him."

They hurled anything they could find -- rocks, bricks, even Baum's barbecue grill -- and pounded the 49-year-old with a pipe and with the baseball bat he kept at his campsite for protection.

Ihrcke smeared his own feces on Baum's face before cutting him with a knife "to see if he was alive," Moore said.

Ihrcke told police that killing "the bum" reminded him of playing a violent video game, a police report shows.

I hate kids so much. So, so much. On the other hand, I was unaware there's a game where you can smear feces on a homeless dude's face.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    SniperGuy, you're a doll and whatever, but seriously, I don't think this was a good idea to post.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    The Geek wrote: »
    SniperGuy, you're a doll and whatever, but seriously, I don't think this was a good idea to post.

The Geek, you are one of the last people that should give critique on what is good to post. I love you and all, but man, your tastes are so dork mainstream it's not even funny. Well, it can be funny, but variety is good too.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »

The Geek, you are one of the last people that should give critique on what is good to post. I love you and all, but man, your tastes are so dork mainstream it's not even funny. Well, it can be funny, but variety is good too.

I rarely make new threads, though.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I was going to post this exact thread yesterday.

Guess what I did.
    I didn't post it.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Really? No discussion on beating up homeless people? Hrm. I kinda more wanted to talk about how kids are idiots and blame their actions on videogames for a quick buck.

However, we can always avoid it entirely. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    they should have blamed it on clockwork orange
    but i bet they never read it

damn kids these days

potatoe on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Um..Sniper, I only saw video games referenced at one point in that article so unless I missed something, you're representing the article unfairly. It's not like the article is suggesting that video games are to blame for this shit.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    dushdush Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    beating off homeless people would make a better thread

dush on
    imeandangdogwhyyougottadoathing.PNG
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    once we told this homeless guy we would give him $20 if he walked up to a bus stop full of people and peed all over them and took a dump right where they were lined up

he did it but instead of paying him we hit him with a golf club and left him face down in a fountain

i wonder how hes doing

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Air wrote: »
    once we told this homeless guy we would give him $20 if he walked up to a bus stop full of people and peed all over them and took a dump right where they were lined up

he did it but instead of paying him we hit him with a golf club and left him face down in a fountain

i wonder how hes doing

this post goes against everything your signature and avatar stand for

potatoe on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dush wrote: »
    beating off homeless people would make a better thread

This is an excellent idea.

Why don't you go film a pilot, I bet it would take off like a shot!

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    Um..Sniper, I only saw video games referenced at one point in that article so unless I missed something, you're representing the article unfairly. It's not like the article is suggesting that video games are to blame for this shit.

Well it's like "We went and beat up and killed a homeless dude. And defiled his body."

And then they throw in "Also, we thought it was like a video game." for no good reason. It seems to happen alot lately.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Every time I see something like this, it makes me want to flip the fuck out. I've spent the last 25 years restraining impulses like these and some little pack of bastards comes along and blames it on video games. Jesus, people, if you're going to go apeshit, at least have the common courtesy to blame it on the real culprit: your fucked up family.

Amatuers.

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Well it's like "We went and beat up and killed a homeless dude. And defiled his body."

And then they throw in "Also, we thought it was like a video game." for no good reason. It seems to happen alot lately.

But you asserted in the OP that they blamed it on video games. They did not. He merely likened it to a video game. That's not blaming it on, it's merely making a comparison to. Pretty big difference.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Actually, both of these posts make excellent points. The article itself is not overtly stating that video games are to blame, however the inclusion of the quote for no notable purpose other than to incite something is suspect.

Essentially, it's a stealth attack. All sneaky and shit. Kind of like playing one of those evil video games.

Oh fuck!

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's not a far stretch, but I'll rescind my statement that video games made them do it. It is still retarded they even mentioned them.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    potatoe wrote: »
    Air wrote: »

i wonder how hes doing

this post goes against everything your signature and avatar stand for

fuck your mother

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    what if videogames really did make them do it

no one stops and considers that

Knob on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I was unaware "Smear Shit on the Homeless 3" was out.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I saw it on Beavis and Butthead.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wish nubile young ladies would follow videogames more, instead of dumbtard males.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    OndingOnding Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, I'm glad I stopped playing all those games where you kicked the shit out of people. To get my body moving after sitting down behind my computer, I used to go out and connect my boots with some bum-skulls. I was like after-gaming-gymnastics. I'm back to FPS's now, all I need is a good tootin' gun to get my kicks.

Onding on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    what if videogames really did make them do it

no one stops and considers that

'Recent investigations of the crime scene revealed startling new evidence. Another set of prints were found in the mud, these caused by the rubber feet of a small electronics unit. Police have reason to believe it was the assailant's beloved PS2.

Also, an audio recording of the incident revealed another, previously unknown, perpetrator. A soulless, metallic voice could be heard goading the boys on saying things such as 'Beat this bitch to death or Madden will never play in me again!'

Videogames masterminded that shit.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i mean everyone's just going VIDEOGAMES DIDN'T DO IT because they like videogames and such

but you know

60 years ago a scientist woulda laughed in your face if you tried to tell him cigarettes gave you cancer

Knob on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    i play metal gear solid and then hide in vents at shopping centres

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Throwing leaves at hobos is awesome fun.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, what if hedgehogs started copying from the Sonic games. That would be awesome, buncha speedfreak animals grabbing all your jewelry and going supersaiyan and junk.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Homeless people are people too.

Best advice I ever got from a homeless guy - "Stay in school." The guy was a fucking mess. I gave him 5 bucks, great advice.

Wise_a on
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wise_a wrote: »
    Homeless people are people too.

Best advice I ever got from a homeless guy - "Stay in school." The guy was a fucking mess. I gave him 5 bucks, great advice.

He probably bought liquor. How's that make you feel?

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    Wise_aWise_a Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pretty good.

And I stayed in school.

And I don't care.

Whats 5$?

Wise_a on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    A hobo once told me about how great God was and how God was a saviour of men.
    I was in a really bad mood, so I asked him "So, why hasn't he saved you yet?".
    I think I shattered that guy's heart.

I felt pretty bad.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    homeless dudes have developed rocketship technology

their ships are fueled by canned food and box wine

Knob on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    homeless dudes have developed rocketship technology

their ships are fueled by canned food and box wine

Don't forget newspapers.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I felt pretty bad.

That's pretty cold, man. I couldn't give two shits about 99% of bums out there but there's no reason to do that.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »

I felt pretty bad.

That's pretty cold, man. I couldn't give two shits about 99% of bums out there but there's no reason to do that.

I know, man. Like I said, I felt really bad.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i mean everyone's just going VIDEOGAMES DIDN'T DO IT because they like videogames and such

but you know

60 years ago a scientist woulda laughed in your face if you tried to tell him cigarettes gave you cancer

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/02/19/researcher-finds-scant-evidence-linking-violent-games-with-aggressive-behavior/

correlation? maybe, but it's sketchy. causation? HELLS no.

of course politicians will promote hot-button issues and less-than-scientific "studies" to promote their own political ends, rather than attempt being rational about it.

and honestly, i don't know why violence in games has become such a hot issue in the first place. violence among youth is actually going DOWN overall. most violence among youth now is related to poverty and lack of support for education and other youth programs. and we're not exactly sending a positive message with our "preemptive war on terror" are we?

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What a sad story. I hope they are punished accordingly.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    you don't know that

you're just guessing

Knob on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    the real cause of youth violence is slam dancing

but all the punk bands sold out so politicians dont wanna try to blame violence on music because now its all owned by universal and sony, who also own movie studios and can push out hella propaganda

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

but you know

http://gamepolitics.com/2007/02/19/researcher-finds-scant-evidence-linking-violent-games-with-aggressive-behavior/

correlation? maybe, but it's sketchy. causation? HELLS no.

of course politicians will promote hot-button issues and less-than-scientific "studies" to promote their own political ends, rather than attempt being rational about it.

and honestly, i don't know why violence in games has become such a hot issue in the first place. violence among youth is actually going DOWN overall. most violence among youth now is related to poverty and lack of support for education and other youth programs. and we're not exactly sending a positive message with our "preemptive war on terror" are we?

Someone needs to post that article where the author shows a graph of youth violent crime over time taken from the US government's statistic web page that points out when game consoles were released and how violent crime has gone down, despite that newer games are more violent.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.