As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME2011 Weather Forecast

NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
It looks like the weather this weekend will be sun, Sun, SUN!
So bring some sunglasses and sunscreen to prevent yourselves from exploding into sparkly bits as you leave the Expo cave for that lunch or snack.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Seattle+WA+USWA0395

a4irovn5uqjp.png
Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
NotoriusBEN on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    And with the new coastal radar, the forecast can actually be accurate, instead of nasty surprises floating in off the coast.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    Does it get cold in Downtown Seattle at night?
    /stupidquestion

• Options
    Bring a hoodie

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    GhandiGhandi Registered User regular
    Agreed with Moe. It's been getting chilly at night down here in Portland and I would expect it to be similar up north if not a little cooler.

xbl: Ghandi5
    steam: Nemesis_21
    origin: Ghandi5
    twitter: @maxaguirre5

RCTID
  • Options
    jmckeldenjmckelden Registered User regular
    Definitely plan for nice and not-so-nice weather situations. For example: today it rained in Seattle. It was also 75 degrees, but it rained. Be prepared.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Meant to bring this up while I was at work, but had to work on getting stuff done for month end before I leave in a few days. Anyway, two part question, since I've never been to the Pac Northwest; what's the humidity like during the day this time of the year? I want to assume that even with the thousands upon thousands of people that will be in/around the convention center that the central air system should keep it around 70ish inside, but I want to try to hit up Pike place for lunch each day and this hill I keep hearing about makes me think it'll be better to pack some shorts for the daytime if it's humid in addition to jeans for at night (I was hoping to get away with only jeans, but it looks like upper 70s all weekend instead of the low 70s I was hoping for :lol: )?

• Options
    Humidity? I don't think that exists here. Today was the most humid daytime all summer, and it topped off at 60%, then rained.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    Anyway, two part question, since I've never been to the Pac Northwest; what's the humidity like during the day this time of the year?

What's this 'humidity' you speak of?

Seriously, though, it averages around 75-95%, but the higher the humidity, the likelier it's actively raining at that moment. Since the Pacific is a lot colder than the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico, humidity here is not like humidity in the Gulf Coast or the Eastern Seaboard. Which is a fancy way of saying I am only packing jeans.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    Uh, averages 75-95%? Maybe at night. I follow the weather pretty closely, and daytime humidity floats somewhere closer to 50%.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MarySue wrote:
    Anyway, two part question, since I've never been to the Pac Northwest; what's the humidity like during the day this time of the year?

What's this 'humidity' you speak of?

Seriously, though, it averages around 75-95%, but the higher the humidity, the likelier it's actively raining at that moment. Since the Pacific is a lot colder than the Atlantic or the Gulf of Mexico, humidity here is not like humidity in the Gulf Coast or the Eastern Seaboard. Which is a fancy way of saying I am only packing jeans.
    Ahaha, gotcha. I live directly East of WA in the northern middle of the country, so I'm used to the humidity reaching all the way up here from the Gulf of Mexico and it being muggy, sticky, and generally feeling like someone draped a warm/hot moist towel on you even in the shade. But going by you/Moe's info, all jeans sounds like a valid plan.

• Options
    Jeans are a fair bet. I'm planning on shorts, but that's because native Washingtonians tend to start stripping off clothes as soon as it hits 70 degrees. :)

• Options
    ValwrynValwryn Registered User regular
    It was 86 this weekend, then rained today (raining currently)... so I guess I'm saying I have no advice.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    weatherspark.com <-- A weather nerd's best friend

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    OmegaDMZOmegaDMZ Registered User regular
    The weather is awesome right now. It's gonna be around 75 during PAX weekend. Not too hot, nor rainy.

• Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    70s hi and 50s low? That's damned fantastic. Seriously it's going to be 114 here in Phoenix tomorrow.

You're the best, Seattle weather. And I'm not just saying that because I've only been to you in 5-day Summer increments.

• Options
    jmckelden wrote:
    Jeans are a fair bet. I'm planning on shorts, but that's because native Washingtonians tend to start stripping off clothes as soon as it hits 70 degrees. :)
    Oh, that's around the same temp, if not a little later, as us Minnesotans (some do it when it hits 60, I won't lie; I did that a few times during unseasonably warm end of Winter days) , but I just wanted to pack as little as possible to make room for swag and merch.

• Options
    jmckelden wrote:
    Oh, that's around the same temp, if not a little later, as us Minnesotans (some do it when it hits 60, I won't lie; I did that a few times during unseasonably warm end of Winter days) , but I just wanted to pack as little as possible to make room for swag and merch.

In that case, days will definitely be shorts weather, but it gets chilly in the evenings. The WSCC isn't too far from the water and you might need a light jacket. Therefore, the answer must be to compromise: jeans and a t-shirt.

Also, if you wear anything with long sleeves while the sun is still shining, you will be pegged as a tourist. Not sure if this is particularly a good thing or a bad thing, but you have been warned. :)

• Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    I want to assume that even with the thousands upon thousands of people that will be in/around the convention center that the central air system should keep it around 70ish inside

Since we're pretty unfamiliar with this "humidity" around here, and since our hottest day in a year was 87 yesterday, many places don't have the very strong AC that you'd be accustomed to in the midwest. None of that walk-in refrigerator woosh feeling of cold air when you open doors here (I always get AC headaches when I visit Chicago for work). The convention center is perfectly fine. Otherwise I'd say central air, if an establishment has it, will be set around 75 or so.

We're big on open windows and fans at night. As I write this, my outdoor thermometer about 8 miles north of the convention center says 63. :)

• Options
    MelceneMelcene Tacoma, WARegistered User regular
    jmckelden wrote:

Seriously. I'm looking at how it's supposed to be around 80 this weekend and thinking how I'm gonna be sweltering. 75 is the top end of comfortable. :P

melcene-wide.png
    mogablah-BlackUserbar.gif
  • Options
    GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    jmckelden wrote:

You're being awfully generous, we pull out the capris and sandals at 64! ;-) It was humid out here on the Eastside, totally sucked.

Hoping for low 70's with a breeze.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll just be glad to get out of the parched desert that is north Texas. If it rains I will be outside in it.

• Options
    TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    Mattaui wrote:
    I'll just be glad to get out of the parched desert that is north Texas. If it rains I will be outside in it.

Hear! Hear!

PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Uh, averages 75-95%? Maybe at night. I follow the weather pretty closely, and daytime humidity floats somewhere closer to 50%.

Yeah, I would have said that, too. Since I live in Portland and 300 miles does make a little difference in weather, I asked the Google and it said Seattle's humidity averages 75-95% in August. *shrug*

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Humidity? I don't think that exists here. Today was the most humid daytime all summer, and it topped off at 60%, then rained.

But on a certain level, isn't rain the same as 100% humidity? (j/k I've lived in places that had 100% humidity for weeks).

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    so it seems to be very similar to Vancouver/Victoria? I lived in Vic for 5 years and now live north of Van on teh Sunshine coast. I plan on shorts and t-shirts and a light pair of capris warmish top for evenings. Going to wear a sudnress for the D&D forum get together.

• Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    It's still Seattle, so I'd question any weather forecast. :-p (Been here 4 years now, and I'm too paranoid to trust 'em). :D

The rain last night was a good thing, as hopefully it will clear the skies up for the weekend. Hoping it rains today as well, get that crud out of our air. :D

• Options
    savagehartsavagehart Registered User regular
    here's the forecast from weather.com
    http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USWA0395

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, if I had a nickel for every time I was doomed by a puppet, I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
  • Options
    MarySue wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:

Yeah, I would have said that, too. Since I live in Portland and 300 miles does make a little difference in weather, I asked the Google and it said Seattle's humidity averages 75-95% in August. *shrug*

Well when you average the night time humidity (90%) with the daytime (43%), of course you're going to come up with that average. That's why I use weatherspark. It shows line graphs for the temps and humidity per hour, instead of a blanket average.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    I usually get my forecasts from Cliff Mass of UW. His blog is pretty educational about our weird local weather. Not sure if he'll update the forecast prior to PAX since the summer weather has been pretty benign so far. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/ I believe he's also on (or will be soon) the NPR affiliate KPLU.

• Options
    Yes, Cliff Mass is The Man when it comes to the weather around here.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    For those packing clothes for the trip, I'd advise a little bit of warm clothes.

Nothing too crazy... some jeans and maybe just a long sleeve shirt, or a hoodie as was previously suggested. You'll probably be fine in shorts/t-shirts both day & night. But sometimes the mornings can start with a chilly fog that needs to burn off... or if you plan on doing a lot of night walking (aka bar hopping) you may want a little more comfort from the evening.

Especially if you're used to actual heat.

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    PA Merch will have hoodies for sale. If you don't want to bother with packing one of your own, stop by and buy a new one for that occasional rain shower. ;)

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    pillarofdawnpillarofdawn Registered User regular
    If the weather was anything like last year, I was walking around seattle at 2 am with just a shirt and jeans

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the forums.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Mom2Kat wrote:
    so it seems to be very similar to Vancouver/Victoria? I lived in Vic for 5 years and now live north of Van on teh Sunshine coast. I plan on shorts and t-shirts and a light pair of capris warmish top for evenings. Going to wear a sudnress for the D&D forum get together.

Exactly like the Sunshine coast. Except the AM clouds (aka: grey marine layer) are maybe a little less frequent and a little warmer at night, since we've got all that downtown concrete retaining the daytime heat.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Liger wrote:
    PA Merch will have hoodies for sale. If you don't want to bother with packing one of your own, stop by and buy a new one for that occasional rain shower. ;)

Note, I bought one of those in 2008, and it's basically my all purpose Seattle jacket, from the dead of winter (which is pretty tame by most standards) to last night when it was raining. I highly suggest grabbing one of these if you live around here. Super, super useful.

• Options
    CommanderTonyCommanderTony Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    If the weather was anything like last year, I was walking around seattle at 2 am with just a shirt and jeans

Pacific Northwest weather hates cocky behavior. If you plan on going an entire day with shorts and a thin t-shirt while its a bit "meh" outside, it will try its best to pour rain on you.

Be prepared for anything. :)

CommanderTony on
    3-Day pass (X) | Travel plans (X) | Hotel room (X) | Enough money...god damnit!
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Mom2Kat wrote:

Exactly like the Sunshine coast. Except the AM clouds (aka: grey marine layer) are maybe a little less frequent and a little warmer at night, since we've got all that downtown concrete retaining the daytime heat.

Thanks! We really only get the heavy fog in late September/October so I would not have been expecting that this early so the warning is much appreciated. So expect everything from downpour, Wind warnings, to warm and sticky in full sunshine within a few hours! Got ya! Figured it would be close to that. Beaing costal and only 3 hours south of Van.

And the hoodie is a great idea. I need to help out my judo club one, its getting kinda sad and will be another year untill they do another order.

• Options
    A note on the term "downpour". It does not mean the same thing up here as it does in the rest of the country. If somebody in the Pacific Northwest says downpour, expect light to medium rain if you're from areas that get thunderstorms or real heavy rain.

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    A note on the term "downpour". It does not mean the same thing up here as it does in the rest of the country. If somebody in the Pacific Northwest says downpour, expect light to medium rain if you're from areas that get thunderstorms or real heavy rain.

Oh yes. So true. The one time I've seen it rain more than an inch and a half here, the streets were flooding. (Which made me wonder exactly what the heck this area is actually prepared for, if it can't prepare for rain!??!). Seattle downpour = windshield wipers on the second setting.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Seattle is not prepared for severe weather of any kind. Last winter there was a severe winter warning for 5 days before we got an inch of snow that was immediately washed away in the rain. And even with that, half the workforce stayed home the next day, giving me a very light commute to work.

Back in Cleveland, we were lucky to get 12 hours of warning before 2+ feet of snow was unceremoniously dumped on the whole area, and even then, everybody was expected to show up for work.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png