As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Meeting a girl I've been friends with on the internet.

2»

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Nah it's just iPhone typing.

I'll scrub over it in a bit.

Sorry, I changed it up because I looked at some of your other posts and it was par for course. But yeah, iPhone typing explains it.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Your mind will whirr and dream up scenarios and think of possibilities. You may be anxious. It's just chemicals in your system. Don't set up any expectations. Don't overthink the situation. Approach this as meeting a gender neutral friend. Smile. Don't "prepare" anything. Be friendly. Ask questions. Relax. Not a big deal.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    How would you feel if this was a guy you'd known online?

Act like that.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If you've talked to the person before, it's definitely not a big deal. You're definitely overthinking the in-person aspect of things. Act how you would act with her anytime you would talk on the internet.

• Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    I'm surrprised no one asked this, but was there ever any audio conversation between you? if not, make skype accounts, and have a conversation, this would win you half the battle.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote:
    Don't "prepare" anything.
    I read this and instantly though of what advice you'd be counseling him against: Prepare a speech.

Have her sit down when she arrives, whip out some note cards, clear your throat, and dive right in to a speech (standing, of course. If something nearby can be used as a makeshift podium, go for it). "This speech is called 'The Wolfpack.'"

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Im going to echo echo Jasconious and ask if you've ever interacted with a woman before... If you overthink things this much you're going to come off weird because you will be stiff and panicked.

The best way to do well in a conversation is not to care about it very much. If you continue this pattern of obsessing and visualization you're going to convey that disproportionate level of interest when you meet her. I bet you will come back overanalyzing everything she did in your first interaction, too.

So my advice is just to get more comfortable talking to women. Go talk to more. If you need to lose weight or whatever, do that first. You have an all-eggs-in-one basket mentality that is counterproductive. But do please let us know what happens.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    You can't do a negative, so being told "don't freak out" doesn't actually help. What you need to do, is treat her like a human being. She is a person, that you have a history with, so ask her about how shes been and what classes shes in etc.
    She is a person.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ. This forum sometimes.

Act like an adult. Presumably you have acted like an attractive enough individual via chat. Be that guy.

Assuming that you were acting like an adult (honest, straight forward, etc) to warrant a real life rendevous you should continue being that guy.

Don't lie. Don't pretend to be some cool guy who you were before via that (which will just explode).

Be yourself, who I am assuming was the personality to warrant this young lady meeting you in real life.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Make sure to stuff a sock in your shorts before the meeting (wink)

No but seriously, just be yourself. if a hug or a smooch is in the works, let it happen. If you plan it out, it's not going to and you will look like a weirdo. if you're a hugger, and you think you're at that point in the friendship, go for it! I used to be on match and i think i hugged every girl i went out on a date with right away. i probably had less contact than you.

You're just overthinking this and getting yourself all worked up. try and chill out, and don't be so in your head about it. once you guys start talking, i'm sure you will be as comfortable as you are when you are online.

• Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    I've met quite a few people in real life that I originally met online. There's nothing to it, I just treat them like another friend. A smile, a greeting ("hey, hows it going, nice to finally meet you in person"), and maybe a handshake and then move on to talking about whatever it is we usually talk about online. It's only weird if you insist on making it weird.

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    If you get nervous and flub a sentence or something, don't sweat it. She's probably nervous too. It's okay to admit your nervousness. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself instead of telling yourself "I HAVE TO BE PERFECT, I HAVE TO BE PERFECT."

I've met internet pals before and it does break up the mental idea of what they're like, but that's not always bad. I met my real life best friend online and she's ridiculously awesome. Even more awesome than I would've thought before meeting her in person.