As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did the earth move for you too? (East Coast earthquake)

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    I was slightly disturbed by the fact that my school decided to evacuate the bottom four floors of the building I was in and not say anything at all to those of us on higher floors.

Definitely noticeable in Philly although the building I was in apparently moved a lot less than most.

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Z0re wrote:
    Felt nothing at all in Mass. That seems super weird, though.

Really, I felt it up in New Hampshire, though admittedly it was just my car shaking for a few seconds.

My wife and I, as well as our in-laws, felt nothing in Vermont. My brother-in-law in Rhode Island didn't feel anything, either.

Different folks.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Felt it, honestly I was worried about a gas main leak or that someone had set off a bomb nearby, wasn't expecting an earthquake.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    We learned in VA we have no earthquake training.
    Tomorrow we will have instructions I assure you. I will make it so. Off to google I go.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DestinyamberDestinyamber Registered User regular
    The East Coast in general does not have any earthquake training. We don't get them often enough to prepare for it, but that doesn't justify not having one.

I believe evacuating buildings, and getting away from structures in general can prevent injury.

nicolefosterdesigns.com -- web, print, and marketing services
    Steam: FallenDestiny *** XBL: xDestinyx3
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Tach wrote:
    So, can we blame this on fracking?

Kidding.
    Well, human activity can totally cause earthquakes. The two most recent earthquakes in Colorado (before Monday's) were caused by explosives/drilling. The most recent natural one was in the 1880s. Although I doubt fracking could do anything (but who knows! maybe a geologist!?)

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I live like 40 miles from where it went off, apparently, though I work more like 70 miles away. And I'll tell you, it was like our office was built on a fucking bouncy castle. Nothing actually fell over but we were rolling back and forth for like 20 seconds.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    If you follow stuff that folks like the Red Cross or FEMA say, you shouldn't try to leave the building during the active quake; wait 'til the shaking stops before deciding to exit a building. Same follows if you're in a vehicle at the time.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    If you follow stuff that folks like the Red Cross or FEMA say, you shouldn't try to leave the building during the active quake; wait 'til the shaking stops before deciding to exit a building. Same follows if you're in a vehicle at the time.

yup
    in school it was always get under your table, grab a table leg, and cover your neck
    go outside after the annoying beeping stopped

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    I live like 40 miles from where it went off, apparently, though I work more like 70 miles away. And I'll tell you, it was like our office was built on a fucking bouncy castle. Nothing actually fell over but we were rolling back and forth for like 20 seconds.

Yeah, I work on the north side of Richmond... it was pretty shaky shaky.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Stand in a door frame. Or under a sturdy desk/table.

We had earthquake training in grade school in New York. No idea why no one else seems to have, since it doesn't take long, but as stated, they're not especially common here.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Good to know now since we may have aftershocks from this.

• Options

Good to know now since we may have aftershocks from this.

We had a 4.2 around 8:00pm, six miles south of Mineral.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I felt absolutely nothing in my office in the Triangle (NC).

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote:
    We had a 4.2 around 8:00pm, six miles south of Mineral.

Wow, that's intense. A few miles south in Altamont, NY, we had a 2.2 -- didn't feel it though interestingly enough.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote:
    Plus the East Coast is on ancient bedrock substrate, while California is mostly sitting on sand. A 5.0 hits Virginia a lot harder than a 5.0 would hit LA or SF. You can't just look at the simple magnitude number and assume it impacts both eaually. Earthquakes hit the East Coast like a 50 mph billiard ball, they hit Cali like a 50 mph tennis ball.

This is the opposite of the truth. Soft ground makes it much worse.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I work in downtown Manhattan on the 30th floor and I could clearly feel it. At first I thought a gust of wind was making the building sway, but then we started moving up and down and I realized what it was. It probably lasted a good 10-15 seconds.

Apparently the traders on the floor of the NYSE started yelling "Keep trading!" which is awesome.

As an aside I have now survived a tornado, hurricane and earthquake. I am the highlander of natural disasters.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:
    Plus the East Coast is on ancient bedrock substrate, while California is mostly sitting on sand. A 5.0 hits Virginia a lot harder than a 5.0 would hit LA or SF. You can't just look at the simple magnitude number and assume it impacts both eaually. Earthquakes hit the East Coast like a 50 mph billiard ball, they hit Cali like a 50 mph tennis ball.

I don't know about that, but I have been reading that the hard rock makes it felt a lot further away. Like with people in Canada feeling this quake in VA.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Gooey wrote:
    I work in downtown Manhattan on the 30th floor and I could clearly feel it. At first I thought a gust of wind was making the building sway, but then we started moving up and down and I realized what it was. It probably lasted a good 10-15 seconds.

Apparently the traders on the floor of the NYSE started yelling "Keep trading!" which is awesome.

As an aside I have now survived a tornado, hurricane and earthquake. I am the highlander of natural disasters.

But have you survived a white out blizzard?

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:

Worse and better might not be the best terms, they are different. According to the USGS, the younger rock in the west leads to a smaller area of more focused shaking (and damage) while the older rock in east leads to a broader area of shaking (and damage) with less diminuation with distance.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2898

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Right...I'll take broad minor damage over a collapsed building.

• Options
    Cabezone wrote:
    Right...I'll take broad minor damage over a collapsed building.

Well, we'd probably have a lot more collapsed buildings at the same magnitude as well... considering we don't tend to quake-proof anything.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I felt it in a Starbucks about 5 blocks from the world trade center in manhattan.

To be fair, it felt like pretty much nothing... The people sitting at the long window-facing bar with me were trying to figure out who was shaking the table... Then went back to our coffee and Mac device usage.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Synd, you should have messaged! We abandoned the office and went to happy hour.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2011
    up in boston, it felt like someone nudged my office chair. twice

and then when i got home, a picture had fallen off a shelf.

it will haunt my dreams

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote:

Ffffuuuuuuu...

I was at chambers and w. Broadway. Totally could have done something.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote:

it will haunt my dreams

Look, you should make a mockery of this very serious and deadly incident!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:

Ffffuuuuuuu...

I was at chambers and w. Broadway. Totally could have done something.

We were at the Dark Horse. So yeah, less than 1000 feet away.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote:

it will haunt my dreams

dog did your scooter tip over

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Seriously though Stewart and Colbert need to STOP TAKING BREAKS.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Kistra wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:

Worse and better might not be the best terms, they are different. According to the USGS, the younger rock in the west leads to a smaller area of more focused shaking (and damage) while the older rock in east leads to a broader area of shaking (and damage) with less diminuation with distance.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2898

the reason softer ground sucks for earthquakes is liquefaction which happens to be an issue up and down the california coastline

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Hmm I was told that it was the earths crust (deep down) being more fractured by more frequent earthquakes so that the energy gets dispersed faster.

Local soil conditions (like sand, silt or landfill) will not have any effect on the actual earthquake because it propagates deep underground. That said, San Francisco experienced some of that liquefaction in 1989 on landfill, took out dozens of homes and a freeway.

What people have been saying though is correct about falling debris being the biggest danger though, especially near old brick buildings and glass windows.

Glad everyone seems alright and the damage was minimal. This might be a good time to remind your local government to have/update a plan for earthquakes. I know if a really big one hits, so many area will be effected simultaneously that aid will be slow to get to many areas.

And everyone has their first aid kits and emergency supplies right?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The East Coast in general does not have any earthquake training. We don't get them often enough to prepare for it, but that doesn't justify not having one.

I believe evacuating buildings, and getting away from structures in general can prevent injury.

Actually, in major urban areas, that's the worst thing to do. A severe enough quake will knock the glass off of skyscrapers...anyone out when that happens will be reduced to hamburger.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I landed at JFK as the earthquake happened. I'd like to think that the two events aren't related.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Irond Will wrote:

it will haunt my dreams

When the picture fell, did you start rapidly getting older?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote:
    Yeah, that was my first one as well (NC). I thought someone was going through the hallway outside with some heavy equipment. Unexpected.

Also in NC, and also thought it was just someone moving something heavy. Most of the office did, except the dude from Alaska that insisted it was an earthquake and the dude next to him that said it was probably jsut some artilliery training. By then they came on the buildings PA system and told us to evacuate. Then a Lt. Colonel started yelling for people to line up and take accountability for all their sections, and my office wondered why the hell we had to line up, as we were all standing together in the smoking section enjoying our extra smoke break given to us by an act of god.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:

I don't know about that, but I have been reading that the hard rock makes it felt a lot further away. Like with people in Canada feeling this quake in VA.

Yeah, and moreover I'm pretty sure the question of whether you felt it or not has a lot to do with the geology of whatever is underneath your feet.

The thing about the soft soil isn't really that it means the earthquake is "better" or "worse," it's that solid rock layer where the earthquake actually happens is deeper. When the earthquake occurs closer to the surface and the energy is traveling through a denser medium, the energy of the S-wave travels faster (almost as fast as the P-wave energy), so it feels like it's hitting you all at once.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    SammyF wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:
    BubbaT wrote:

Yeah, and moreover I'm pretty sure the question of whether you felt it or not has a lot to do with the geology of whatever is underneath your feet.

The thing about the soft soil isn't really that it means the earthquake is "better" or "worse," it's that solid rock layer where the earthquake actually happens is deeper. When the earthquake occurs closer to the surface and the energy is traveling through a denser medium, the energy of the S-wave travels faster (almost as fast as the P-wave energy), so it feels like it's hitting you all at once.

nzBZm.jpg

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Can we talk about our earthquake experiences? When we had our 6.8 earthquake in WA, i remember i was in middle school putting a book back on a shelf in class, then the entire book shelf fell on me. Then our earthquake training from elementary school kicked in and i got under the desk because "RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE."

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k