As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Did the earth move for you too? (East Coast earthquake)

124»

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    I work in downtown Manhattan on the 30th floor and I could clearly feel it. At first I thought a gust of wind was making the building sway, but then we started moving up and down and I realized what it was. It probably lasted a good 10-15 seconds.

Apparently the traders on the floor of the NYSE started yelling "Keep trading!" which is awesome.

As an aside I have now survived a tornado, hurricane and earthquake. I am the highlander of natural disasters.

But have you survived a white out blizzard?

I have. So I'm four for four!

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Jokerman wrote:
    Gooey wrote:

As an aside I have now survived a tornado, hurricane and earthquake. I am the highlander of natural disasters.

But did they all happen in one year? If Irene hits on Sunday as expected philly will have had all four in one year :P

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Philly had a tornado? We had a tornado and I missed it?!

Anyways, the earthquake did freak me out because I live in a really old house, so I was afraid things were going to fall through the floor. At first I did think a meth lab blew up somewhere in the neighborhood (I heard they're crazy strong).

And I agree with whoever said Stewart and Colbert need to stop taking breaks. They're trying to kill us all.

edit: though I will say the earthquake gave me a stress headache. My dad was in VA and it was hard to contact him to make sure he was okay.

Mim on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    I first noticed the quake when I felt a weird rocking sensation sitting in my desk chair, and thought I might be hallucinating or something.

Then I saw the edge of the flat panel TV I use for a monitor also swaying slightly and relaxed in the knowledge it was just an earthquake.

Near NYC, for the record. First earthquake I've been awake for, so it was... interesting.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Kistra wrote:
    Jokerman wrote:
    Gooey wrote:

But did they all happen in one year? If Irene hits on Sunday as expected philly will have had all four in one year :P

Nope, you got me there.

/bendstheknee

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Can we talk about our earthquake experiences? When we had our 6.8 earthquake in WA, i remember i was in middle school putting a book back on a shelf in class, then the entire book shelf fell on me. Then our earthquake training from elementary school kicked in and i got under the desk because "RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE."

When the 1989 Loma Prieta quake hit, I was very small, and in a grocery store. The cashier stuffed me into the little storage cabinet they use to put stuff before sending it back to the aisle. I don't remember it though.

I remember a few others. One biggish one about eight years ago scared my sister's cat so bad she ran inside and refused to leave me alone, going as far as to sleep with me, which she normally wasn't super fond of.

And then I was in San Diego when that 7.1 hit Mexicali. That was the biggest one I remember (7.1 is freaking huge, and Mexicali isn't exactly far from San Diego.) I kind of ignored it for a few seconds, then when it was obvious it was going to keep shaking for some time more and the shaking got pretty bad (my desk was moving on the floor), I got under it. It was sort of fun, but mostly because I've been in quakes before and knew that even if the house collapsed I'd probably remain uninjured, as the roof wasn't super heavy or anything.

The best part of that was looking at the USGS quake map of California the week later. It normally has about 300 earthquakes on it or so, but that week it went up to 3,500 from all the aftershocks.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:
    Gooey wrote:
    I work in downtown Manhattan on the 30th floor and I could clearly feel it. At first I thought a gust of wind was making the building sway, but then we started moving up and down and I realized what it was. It probably lasted a good 10-15 seconds.

Apparently the traders on the floor of the NYSE started yelling "Keep trading!" which is awesome.

What about a fire tornado?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGvTgYyANy8

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote:
    Can we talk about our earthquake experiences? When we had our 6.8 earthquake in WA, i remember i was in middle school putting a book back on a shelf in class, then the entire book shelf fell on me. Then our earthquake training from elementary school kicked in and i got under the desk because "RUMBLE RUMBLE RUMBLE."

When the 1989 Loma Prieta quake hit, I was very small, and in a grocery store. The cashier stuffed me into the little storage cabinet they use to put stuff before sending it back to the aisle. I don't remember it though.

I was playing soccer during that quake. The ground lurched so hard it sent the goal tumbling down the field. But if you're just standing in the middle of a field, there's not a lot you can do but try not to fall on your face and watch the power lines swing like jump ropes. It was kind of cool right in the moment.

Then it stopped, and I remembered that both of my parents had hour-long commutes to get home on a good day, so I had to walk home from school and start cleaning up what had fallen by myself for three hours until mom finally got home. Dad didn't show up until late that night.