As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(BOO HOO HOO!) Choose your own adventure

• Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I-@, treasure!

Lagnar on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Don't be fooled by treasure!

We need to form more alliances and research so our fish submarines have nuclear technology.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    alliances? that sounds awful. kill kill kill.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    K, @ this is a fine plan

• Options
    I'm jonesing for some updates!

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Yes, may Lord Campion bless us with another update!

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    @bsjezz page 12!~~~!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I move we make "fag face" the new "silly goose"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011

We need more fishmans to control all this new land.

Also, campion, shouldn't we have entered THE THIRD AGE with the portal being all done an what not?

edit: interesting, my "B" and "@" don't show up on the first line of this post

Sticks on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Didn't we already fuck after the portal was finished? We're there man, we made it

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    We got into the third age. Progress = 2. It didn't give us anything in terms of bonuses. We need to get some more science or magic or something cool!

• Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Sticks wrote:

We need more fishmans to control all this new land.

Also, campion, shouldn't we have entered THE THIRD AGE with the portal being all done an what not?

edit: interesting, my "B" and "@" don't show up on the first line of this post

why are you doing invisible text for votes, sticks

it's hard for your vote to be counted if you make it invisible.

on closer inspection, dirtmuncher on the last page also decided to vote invisibly.

faits.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    We got into the third age. Progress = 2. It didn't give us anything in terms of bonuses. We need to get some more science or magic or something cool!

I guess a 0 based number scheme makes sense for our science minded empire.

Sticks on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Look, the year 0 was in the first century. It only makes sense that the baseline first age represented 0 progress.

Or, well, not really.

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    campion did we make fishmanmanbabbies with the humans yet

faits.png
  • Options
    I guess this is dead :(

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    You have entered the fourth age
    THANK YOU FOR PLAYING, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE PLEASE PURCHASE THE FULL VERSION OF "RACE WAR"
    I didn't really have any plan on continuing it further than capturing the Undead land, because after that I have no idea how anything else is run, like all the other races fighting and upgrading.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Thanks for updating it those times though Campion!

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Far out I've lost this thread for a few days because of the thread title

BOOKMARKED. YOU'RE NOT GETTING AWAY NOW, THREAD

• Options
    Well unless someone else chooses to continue/start a new game there won't be much happening :P

• Options
    Oh

well

that sucks

• Options
    maybe i'll start a new one later!

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    I hope so!

Make sure you nut it out with the game designers here first though

or don't! That's fun too!

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Tell me SE++

If you were to do a big giant forum RPG/tactical battle thingy would you insist on making your own characters/teams or would the consensus find premade builds acceptable

Just out of curiosity

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Tell me SE++

If you were to do a big giant forum RPG/tactical battle thingy would you insist on making your own characters/teams or would the consensus find premade builds acceptable

Just out of curiosity

I would prefer making a character, but would have no qualms with doing premade stuff.

• Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    ditto

• Options
    i just want to unknowingly fight other forums

• Options
    Aww :(

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ahahahaha
    this thread ended as I knew and hoped it would

finally we can get on with the business of community story-telling without a doofus OP getting in the way of our creativity

viva la fishrace! (tomorrow I will do some draws for this maybe??!)

• Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    yes draw more fishpeople

I think my changing of the av/sig has been throwing people off

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    where the hell did you get that Av+Sig anyway? dich has one and so does fire truck but I do not know its origins

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Race for the Galaxy against some AI. I've been thinking how that game, or one like it, could be converted into something like this.
    Just for a source of getting general ideas for developments and NPC actions. You could even make it about the Space Fishmen Empire.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    where the hell did you get that Av+Sig anyway? dich has one and so does fire truck but I do not know its origins

just found em floating on the internet

xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Here's a test OP, tell me if anything needs to be corrected before I post it up.

Patch notes for CYOA 2.0:
    -Readability! - fixed the language so people can reed gud
    -Rule book! - changed some of the rules to make more sense, and explained some of the ones that weren't explained.
    -New race! - Got rid of the gnomes, because gnomes in fantasy worlds are stupid. They serve the same purpose as dwarves, they just dont have beards. So in place of the gnomes, we now have PLANTPEOPLE. Be an Ent! Possessing crazy long lifespans and resilience, plant people are just bound to be super interesting in terms of progression. Also, new picture.
    -New special abilities! - Some specials got moved around, everything got a new name, and some have been removed altogether.
    -New civilization focuses! - I moved some stuff around, combined some stuff, and made up some stuff.
    -New map! - Cause I already wasnt finished changing everything. Made at work in Paint, therefore its pretty awful in quality. deusexdealwithit.gif
    The last time this game was run, there was drama because the OP didn’t explain the rules very well, and wasn’t familiar with SE++ and our penchant for derailing threads. So we’re back and we’re gonna do this shit again, and if you guys want us to breed into oblivion we will. It’ll be a short thread, but I’ll try to make it as entertaining as possible. Of course, if we want it to go longer, you’ll need to make some decisions other than breed. Let’s see where we get, huh?

Introduction

This is a turn-based game. Choose your civilization by agreeing (the first 3 of the same answer) on one of the races and their affinity below. An example would be A1-The Human Science civilization.

Note that this world is not simply a “high fantasy” or whatever world. If science saves us, the civilization may gain sci-fi elements. In the last game, people mentioned fishpeople with lasers. Sure, we can go there, provided the resources and tech advances are there.

View the map and see where the different civilizations are spread out.

When you explore and expand your empire you will increase your area of domination by about 1 inch on the map each turn, in whichever direction you choose (giving landmarks like “towards the forest” helps when the civilization gets big). The resources on the map may be far away so you will have to make decisions, such as whether to hunt, research, or breed, and so on.

When you have access to resources you’ll be able to research more powerful weapons, inventions, fortifications, spells, and other stuff. Some decisions are modified by a random number generator (literally a die), offering minor, regular, and breakthrough advancements in research. If you’re familiar with D&D, then you probably know what a “critical failure” is.

How I Will Run The Game

By the seat of my pants.

This is a “choose your own adventure” type game. As such, the path we take will swing wildly depending on where we are, who we are, and what we do. Some stuff I have written down, some stuff I’m gonna come up with a couple turns in advance, and other stuff will depend entirely on what you geese talk about when making decisions. If you talk about your civilization’s intentions and people appear to agree on those, we’ll try to veer in that direction.

I may drop hints about things that are going to happen in the game, or how the populace is reacting to your decisions. If your researchers think something may be possible on the horizon with additional research, that’s me saying to research science or magic once or twice more to get that. I won’t push you into making decisions, but other stuff will happen outside of your civilization, and maybe you wanna react to that? I dunno. Up to y’all.

When it comes time to make tactical decisions, I’ll put up a list of the options available. There may be many, but I’m trying to give you a wide range so you don’t feel like you’re being railroaded into a specific choice. If you dudes wanna try something that’s not on the list, let me know and I’ll update the list with the option and chance of success (determined randomly, mostly).

If I’m going to be off the boards for a bit (i.e. sleep, personal business) I’ll try to let you know and you can make multiple choices, to keep the game moving.

Resources and Borders

Collect resources by expanding your empire over a particular marker. Forests yield wood and other plant life, which is useful in building and weaponry. Mines yield gold and other valuable (and useful!) minerals (Assume all mines contain the same amount of any metal, unless I say it contains a motherlode of X mineral. A motherlode will not mean there is fewer of the other metals, you just got lucky with that one). Farmland is important for food.

Resources replenish themselves constantly. If undertaking large projects or expanding constantly without finding additional resources, this will stop and your resources will be low until the project is completed, or more resources are obtained.

Villages on the map are project headquarters. If your empire decides to build a Crab Hatchery, it will use up a village for the rest of the game. Don’t worry, your population won’t be displaced, they’ll still be within your empire, hanging out in homes that I don’t feel like showing on the map.

Your empire will be marked on the map and its perimeter will represent your empire and its awareness. Other civilizations outside of this awareness will not be represented on your map, unless you have spies in that empire or are allies.
    Here’s the World Map. Because I’m dangerous, I’ll decide where you are randomly.
    world3.jpg

Races and SPECIALS

The Race Special is what makes the races unique and it can only be used once per game.

The Civilization Affinity gives you a free research point in the corresponding area, with more free points in the future as progress is made. Massive breakthroughs in this field are more possible. But just because your civilization has a certain affinity doesn’t mean you should forego the rest of the research trees!

Research into multiple affinities can also benefit each other. Do you want atom bombs? Try researching science and weaponry. Want to force-persuade that Dwarf Elder to

Here are the races we have. The previous game went with the fishpeople, as they were the race most likely to provide amusement. They were not disappointed. Remember that these races can get less Tolkein and more Warhammer 40k as the game goes on and advances are made.
    voteciv2.jpg
    Civilization (special ability can only be used ONCE per game)

A) Human (AGENT SMITH’S DISSERTATION ON HUMANITY: expand twice in all directions)
    B) Dwarf (MOLE PEOPLE: expand to one spot anywhere on the map)
    C) Elf (DAT FAIRY DUST: gain three levels in Magic)
    D) Undead (WISE FWOM YO GWAVE: increase total population to 1.5x current population)
    E) Orc (WAAAAAAGH: chosen battle is a guaranteed victory)
    F) Giant (LIKE A ROCK, OOOOOH LIKE A ROCK: gain three levels in Defense)
    G) Fishpeople (SPAWN MORE FISHLORDS: breed 3 times in one turn)
    H) Plantpeople (LIKE WEEDS: gain one level in all fields of research)

Civilization affinity

1) Scientific Progress Goes Bonk (Advancing civilization through application of science. Lasers, machinery, and chemistry. General breakthroughs in science, magic, and military come faster and more numerously, with occasional random breakthroughs from gameplay)
    2) I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major-General (Focuses on advancements in war. Practical weapons and defense, warfare tactics. Breakthroughs through science, magic, and politics will have a bent towards waging war.)
    3) Friendship Is Magic (Bending the world to your whim through sheer force of the arcane. Spells, summonings, and enchantments. Breakthroughs in science, military, and politics will be magically inclined and may dazzle other, less magically inclined races.)
    4) Greed is Good (Backroom deals and political machinations. Trade negotiations [lol Naboo], resource management, political maneuverings, spies. Other research trees work better together and advance faster, leading to greater synergy in breakthroughs and less straight specialization.)

So, what’s your race? What do you wanna focus on, as a people? Respond like this:
    lol this is awful
    Lets do it
    E1

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Fuck where's the science people!!

G1 lets be fish people again.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    E4

Let's be some sort of fusion between Games Workshop's Orcs and the miserly goblins you get in really old fantasy stories

Money grubbing gangster orcs, if you will

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Oy, we weren't starting yet!

Eh, I guess it's good enough. NEW THREAD POWERS GO.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I don't see how we can't go fishpeople every time.

G3

broken image link
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    boo to being the same as last time! I vote H3, or else throw my vote in with whatever would make fishpeople lose

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    G1
    We already got all those fish people arts, someone worked so hard on..hehe hard on

Sig to mucho Grande!
This discussion has been closed.