As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Joy to the World] New Grey´s Anatomy spinoff!

TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
For all the fans of Grey's Anatomy here at Penny Arcade, and I know there are a lot, today is a most joyous day! Behold this spectacular news: Grey's is getting a spinoff! We all knew it was inevitable but it's good to have some official confirmation.
Grey's Doc Spins Off

The good doctors at Seattle Grace may be focused on resuscitating Meredith Grey, but it's another female character who's moving to a better place.

According to the Wall Street Journal, ABC is attempting to duplicate the juggernaut success the network has achieved with Grey's Anatomy by moving forward on a spinoff centering on Kate Walsh's character of Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd.

285.anatomy.walsh.022107.jpg

A spokesperson for the network told the paper that a series title has not yet been determined, nor has a general plot—whether Walsh's character will remain in Seattle, move back to New York or do something else entirely is still up in the air.

ABC Television Studio, the series' producer, confirmed to E! News that a possible new series is in the works.

"We are producing an enhanced episode that has a potential for an afterlife," a rep said, declining to comment beyond the details in the Wall Street Journal report.

Walsh and Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes are said to be under contract for the new series; neither would comment Wednesday.

The show will apparently give plenty of screen time to Addison, who has emerged from hated third party in Grey's Anatomy's central love triangle to become one of the most popular characters on the show.

The spinoff would allow Rhimes to be able to focus on a single character, something that is hard to do on the current show, where story lines and screen time are divvied up among 12 regular characters, something Rhimes herself has said is hard to juggle.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Rhimes only recently broke the news of the spinoff to the cast, and it's not expected than any other characters will jump ship along with Walsh to the new series—potentially disappointing (and spoilerish) news for fans of the budding Addison-Alex love connection.

The castmembers will, however, be involved in the set up for Addison's sendoff. Per the Wall Street Journal, Rhimes is writing a special two-hour episode of Grey's Anatomy that will effectively serve as the Addison-centric series' pilot. The episode is expected to air during May sweeps, allowing time for the network to decide whether or not to pick up the show for placement on its fall schedule. (In other words, ABC is waiting to see if the premise is more Rhoda than Joey.)

As it is, Grey's Anatomy, currently in its third season, has routinely topped the Nielsen ratings and just last week averaged 26 million viewers. Even a portion of those figures for the new show would make it a success.

Rhimes has reportedly put on hold another of her anticipated projects to move quickly on the spinoff. It's unclear when she made the decision to pursue the new show, but last fall she postponed work on another drama series that was expected to debut midseason.

That show was due to chronicle the lives of four female journalists and also had Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Grey's Anatomy's late Denny Duquette, on board to star. That project will now be pushed back even further.

Let the title speculation begin! How 'bout... The Big Addle! (we all know she's moving back to NYC)

Or maybe The Good Shepherd... Montgomery ?

Tingle on

Posts

  • Options
    IllyriaIllyria __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    She's an OBGYN, right? And moving to New York... Opens up a whole slew of possible titles.

    Like...

    - Sex and the City, and its Consequences

    - Of C-Sections and Manolo Blaniks

    - Dr Montgomery-Shepherd, Medicine Woman

    Eh, I dunno. I hope they don't make it too heavy on the drama and keep the funny, though.

    Illyria on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] alley.jpg
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I already don't like it. She should just stay on Grey's

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    I already don't like it. She should just stay on Grey's
    Why not? Surely you must find the idea of Addison Jessica Parker sitting around with her new-found friends Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha, sipping Screaming Orgasms and chatting away about one night stands, placentas, shoes and third trimesters insanely appealing? I for one can't wait!

    Tingle on
  • Options
    GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm wondering how the pilot is going to differentiate itself from Grey's. I mean, how much can they change the tone of the show, if the main character has been a part of Grey's for such a long time? Hopefully they pull it off though, because I love Kate Walsh.

    Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    I'm wondering how the pilot is going to differentiate itself from Grey's. I mean, how much can they change the tone of the show, if the main character has been a part of Grey's for such a long time? Hopefully they pull it off though, because I love Kate Walsh.

    This is why I hope they don't do it. I don't think it has much chance to succeed and I'd rather not lose that character from the show because ABC was greedy

    gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I like the character, but I think that a spinoff is a potentially bad idea, because she works really well as part of the ensemble.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't they normally wait until one show is done before doing a spinoff on it? Just seems like a bad idea.

    Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have never seen Greys.

    I hear it sucks. Is there truth to this claim?

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I have never seen Greys.

    I hear it sucks. Is there truth to this claim?


    Of course not. It's the most entertaining show to ever grace the airwaves. It isn't the highest rated show for nothing you know.

    Who told you it sucks? I bet it was someone from a competing network! Bah, network politics, blech!

    Tingle on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    it's 80% ER with 20% Scrubs-lite style humor

    nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Don't they normally wait until one show is done before doing a spinoff on it?

    Laverne and Shirley, Angel, Stargate Atlantis, CSI: Pleasantville, Law and Order: Elevator Repair Unit, Xena Warrior Princess, and so on and so forth would like to respectfully diagree with you.

    Tingle on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Don't they normally wait until one show is done before doing a spinoff on it?

    Laverne and Shirley, Angel, Stargate Atlantis, CSI: Pleasantville, Law and Order: Elevator Repair Unit, Xena Warrior Princess, and so on and so forth would like to respectfully diagree with you.

    Didn't some of the Star Trek series overlap for a year or two as well?

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Don't they normally wait until one show is done before doing a spinoff on it?

    Laverne and Shirley, Angel, Stargate Atlantis, CSI: Pleasantville, Law and Order: Elevator Repair Unit, Xena Warrior Princess, and so on and so forth would like to respectfully diagree with you.

    Didn't some of the Star Trek series overlap for a year or two as well?
    What's your point?

    Tingle on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have never seen Greys.

    I hear it sucks. Is there truth to this claim?
    I think people who are rabid Scrubs fans knock GA a lot, claiming it's a ripoff because both shows feature young, pretty doctors. And because a lot of the music featured in both shows is the same, maybe. But GA is more a straight drama and Scrubs is pretty obviously a comedy. That said, Grey's is really, really melodramatic and relationship centered. The medical aspect is usually there as a a metaphor for something going on in the characters' personal plotlines, and little else. If you like that sort of thing, it's a really strong show. If it's not your thing, then you're not going to like it. Season 1 is pretty cheap on DVD, so if you're curious, it might be worth picking up and giving it a try.

    Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm actually going to be kind of angry if ABC actually goes through with this. She's one of my favorite characters on the show right now. In fact, when I stop and think about it, she might be my favorite character on the show right now.
    I have never seen Greys.

    I hear it sucks. Is there truth to this claim?
    I think people who are rabid Scrubs fans knock GA a lot, claiming it's a ripoff because both shows feature young, pretty doctors. And because a lot of the music featured in both shows is the same, maybe. But GA is more a straight drama and Scrubs is pretty obviously a comedy. That said, Grey's is really, really melodramatic and relationship centered. The medical aspect is usually there as a a metaphor for something going on in the characters' personal plotlines, and little else. If you like that sort of thing, it's a really strong show. If it's not your thing, then you're not going to like it. Season 1 is pretty cheap on DVD, so if you're curious, it might be worth picking up and giving it a try.

    Yeah, that's kind of how I see it. Scrubs focuses on being funny and to a lesser degree the lives of the characters. There has certainly been character development over the seasons, but the primary focus of the show has always been comedy.

    Grey's Anatomy focuses on the lives and relationships of the characters. There are funny moments to be sure, but those moments usually come about because life is funny sometimes, not because Meredith cocks her head and has an outlandish daydream or because an evil janitor enjoys tormenting her.

    Both are excellent shows and while yes, both Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy deal with young doctors, they both do so taking different approaches.

    HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »
    Tingle wrote: »
    Don't they normally wait until one show is done before doing a spinoff on it?

    Laverne and Shirley, Angel, Stargate Atlantis, CSI: Pleasantville, Law and Order: Elevator Repair Unit, Xena Warrior Princess, and so on and so forth would like to respectfully diagree with you.

    Didn't some of the Star Trek series overlap for a year or two as well?
    What's your point?

    Another example of spin offs?

    Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So what is it like then?

    Ally McBeal MD?

    I should probably give it a chance, just seems that because I am already the biggest House fan in the world, and have watched Srubs pretty relogiously for 4 years then it might be too crowded.

    ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Eh, I'm a rabid House fan and a pretty big fan of Scrubs as well. They're all different enough that they're all still enjoyable. Grey's Anatomy isn't really comparable to Ally Mcbeal, like at all. Actually, from what I remember about Ally McBeal (which admittedly isn't a whole lot) wouldn't Scrubs be better described as Ally McBeal MD what with the random daydreams and off the wall humor?

    I was actually of the attitude that Grey's Anatomy was some sort of soap-opera-ish tripe that somehow made it into primetime until a family member left the first season DVDs here and I watched them. After watching the first two episodes I was forced to admit I had been full of shit and after the next two or three I was hooked. It's a drama with excellent writing, great acting and interesting characters and to top it off it features some damn good tunes ala House and Scrubs.

    You can pick up the season one DVDs for pretty cheap and if you enjoy Scrubs and House I don't think you'll regret buying it.

    HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I will.

    But if I dont like it im blaming you and returning the DVD for a copy of Masters of the Universe.

    ToadTheMushroom on
Sign In or Register to comment.