As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Wyrm Mutilators - Recruiting

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    ...maybe.

He has wings, uses a big spear, can fly, and likes knocking people aaaaall over the place. But he's fragile, and gets more fragile as time goes by, according to the Paragon Path flavour.

So yeah, he's pretty much an Avariel.

I was thinking he'd hide them most of the time, though. I mean, having massive wings sprouting out of your back would be something of an inconvenience.

Hooded silken robe that alternates between bright, vibrant colours and the earth tones of the forest, long elfy hair, a perpetual smirk, and a REALLY BIG SPEAR that crackles with playful electricity. Pointy ears. Massive feathery wings. Damn.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The final group will consist of:

Merric Winterleaf, Halfling Weaponmaster Fighter as played by dresdenphile
    Valdis, Devout Storm Warpriest of Umberlee as played by Aegis
    Wendyllowyn - Eladrin Thief as played by Grog
    Alénthian, Eladrin Avenger of Corellon as played by Kay
    Sinjari, Genasi Wizard as played by sandster

Sorry, TMM. I like your character, but two rogues in the party is boring, and Wendyllowyn is an Essentials rogue. As consolation, I'll let you name the first dragon they'll be fighting, if you want. Also, you may still get in if one of the players drops out or one of the characters dies.

The game will start soonish. I just started orientation week at a new university, and so it will take me a couple of days to design the first encounter. In the meantime, feel free to create tokens to represent your characters and post them here.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Whee, looks to be fun!

Minor housecleaning (assuming it was okay since we haven't started yet and most of this was oversight to begin with on my part):

* Added a demonskin tatoo since I had 800 gp left over to spend. Was going to by potions of resistance (this is what I did on my cavalier with excess cash) but I didn't have that much gold left over and the tatoo functions like one, but varaiable.
    * Replaced Polearm Momentum with Storm Sacrifice after finally figuring out how to make it work.
    * Forgot that I could pick a theme, so went with Iron Wolf.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Woohoo! Some dudes gonna get pushed and proned in the name of the elven god of art, music and magic! DRAGON DUDES!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Nice. Got a feeling this character is going to be pretty silly. I'd almost be tempted to make it a kobold, for minor action teleporting...

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote:
    Nice. Got a feeling this character is going to be pretty silly. I'd almost be tempted to make it a kobold, for minor action teleporting...

Do your teleport-based feats and stuff only benefit you if you're the one teleporting? Because I have an encounter power that lets me teleport an ally and I was curious how it'd work with you.

Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well the wording for most all of them is 'When you teleport' rather than 'When you use a teleport power'. So it seems it should work.

Also, if delroland doesn't mind, I think I will swap to kobold. The idea of a pipe-smoking midget lizard tricking his way into the position of grand magister is too good to pass up.
    Edit: either way, I've switched to a rapier build, off handing the staff. Works the same, just replaced some expertise feats and whatnot
    Eladrin token:
    wendyltoken.jpg

Kobold token:
    owyntoken.jpg

Grog on
  • Options
    Damn, that is some mobility. You teleport 4 squares as a minor action, then teleport 5 squares as a move action, then you get to use your Standard Action to make an attack and then finally at the end of your turn you teleport 5 more squares as a free action.

And this is all at-will, for 14 total squares of movement during your turn.

Characters
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I have a bad habit of picking race/class combos that GIS can't help me find images for.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, apparently male Genasi don't exist either on my end.

Characters
  • Options
    WOTC just need some art interns whose job description is "create a portfolio of each gender of each race being each class." :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Av8WA.png

That's good enough for Valdis unless by some miracle I find some kind of elemental picture (the one I used in my app unfortunately is too tall and doesn't look very good on a token).

Characters
  • Options
    I can't decide!
    0JFG7.png0HxCS.pngeqPt0.png

The last one only really works as a square. The other two... not sure if I like the 'taste my SPEAR' or the one with more colour.

If you want a specific border, let me know, and I shall feeeex.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    2po7epy.jpg

I share the same sentiments as Aegis regarding the above token.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd definitely pick the middle one out of those three options Kay. It actually doesn't look that bad.

Characters
  • Options
    sandstersandster Registered User new member
    Sweetness! I've attached a token for Sinjari, and will mull over some Themes, as I missed that we could apply those.

sinjari_token.png

• Options
    Yep, I'd go with middle one Kay. First one looks like he's trying to break his way out of the token.

Looks like the familiar doesn't show up on orokos sheets, but I've got the Arcane Wisp, so that'd be teleport 6 as a move, and 5 as a minor. I basically intend to stay invisible for the entire combat.

• Options
    sandstersandster Registered User new member
    edited September 2011
    Sinjari's been updated with the Order Adept theme.

sandster on
  • Options
    Any suggested tweaks to my Avenger? I kinda built him around pushing people around with his spear and making them fall over, because that is absolutely hilarious to me.

Oh, and he can charge like a boss, too.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Hafted Defense is a feat that'll give you +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex. I'm not sure what you'd trade it out for; maybe Cunning Stalker?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had totally forgotten about Hafted Defense. Might switch Improved Armour of Faith out for it.

Cunning Stalker's important for a reason I have totally forgotten. Surprising Charge, I think.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Grog wrote:
    Well the wording for most all of them is 'When you teleport' rather than 'When you use a teleport power'. So it seems it should work.

Also, if delroland doesn't mind, I think I will swap to kobold. The idea of a pipe-smoking midget lizard tricking his way into the position of grand magister is too good to pass up.
    Edit: either way, I've switched to a rapier build, off handing the staff. Works the same, just replaced some expertise feats and whatnot
    Eladrin token:
    wendyltoken.jpg

Kobold token:
    owyntoken.jpg

No kobolds. Sorry.

• Options
    Yea I'd ditch Improved Armor of Faith if you were still wanting to tweak it. Not sure I'd replace it with another defensive feat, mind you.

If you wanted to really ensure you could land/setup your stuff you could always pickup Improved Initiative for insurance for a sweet +18 modifier.

Also, why must Spear Mastery require such high strength :( Stupid spears.

Characters
  • Options
    Also, just FYI: if you are off-handing a staff as an implement, you may not use it as a weapon, nor do you count as wielding two weapons for the purposes of feats, powers, or class abilities.

• Options
    I don't think he has any powers which key off two-weapons.

Characters
  • Options
    Yep, just using it for the teleporting goodness

• Options
    Tweaked my build a little. Strayed away from the charging stuff to some degree, as I only have an at-will and an encounter power that work with charges. Dropped the Invigorating Pursuit feat (+2 AC/ +2 damage UEONT if you hit your OoE target with a charge), and ended up picking Danger Sense and Painful Oath.

Still have Cunning Stalker and Surprising Charge because... I couldn't think of anything else to take. So I keep the Fighter MC, too. Any opinions? Like I said, I have noooo idea how to build Avengers.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Beneath Notice seems like an easier way to get CA, but you'd have to sink another feat into Barrelling Charge to actually get adjacent.

• Options
    Beneath Notice seems nice, and sort of keyed into dragon slaying... but!

Pretty sure with my mobility it would be easy enough to get into a position where I could charge into flanking, so Beneath Notice isn't that useful to me. Cunning Stalker's for when I'm waaaay ahead of the pack and wanting to isolate something, and lets me pick and choose stuff and get the CA bonuses when I'm going first. Which should be frequently.

Plus, I'm pretty sure you can charge to an adjacent square thanks to errata without a feat now, and Barrelling Charge was removed or whatever. I'm pretty sure that Rius dropped the feat on his Ranger dude because errata meant he no longer needed it.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Makes sense they errataed it, I'm just going by the PHB.

Speaking of mobility, I can take an adjacent ally with me when teleporting, which could be useful for yours and Aegis's charge capabilities.

• Options
    With the amount of pushing both me and Kay do, I think Cunning Stalker'll come into play (hopefully) a lot. Which will be nice for Surprising Charge.

Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Alénthian play flowchart.

Did you hit an enemy? --> Yes --> You push it a long way --> It falls down --> It is hilarious

Did you hit an enemy with an encounter or daily? --> Yes --> You push loads of things a long way --> They all fall down --> It is more hilarious

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    According to the Rules Compendium, you must move at least two squares to charge, and each square of movement must move you closer to your target (imagine that the creature is using a pull power on you).

Edit: I checked the errata as well, and the Rules Compendium has the most up-to-date rules on charging.

delroland on
  • Options
    Yeah, they took out the 'you must attack from the first square you may attack from' clause, as that's covered by the 'moving closer with every step'.

It was to stop people charging AROUND things in order to get flanking/trigger OAs etc. Rogues used to benefit from that sort of thing.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Part of me is thinking:

Kay, you know that Gouges are spears, and thus you get proficiency with a Gouge via Eladrin Soldier, right? And a Gouge is both a Spear AND an Axe, and you knock everyone over, and you could get Headsman's Chop, right? You do know that, don't you?

And part of me thinks that would be ridiculously cheesy.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    This game will most likely have to wait until next weekend (9/17) to start. I'm at a school where I have to stand watches, and my division drew weekend watch this week.

• Options
    I'll just have to resist the urge for more tinkering until then.

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Also since I get to name it, your first dragon will be Buttlord the Assmancer.

YEAH.
    GONNA MAKE YOU REGRET THAT DECISION BOYO.
    Alternate names: Trogdor
    Charizard
    Bite-Face
    Griaule

• Options
    Buttlord the Assmancer it is. :lol:

• Options
    Magic? In my ass?

It's more likely than you think.

ew9y0DD.png