Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Trenches Comic: Thurs. August 25, 2011

2

Posts

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Of course in any sensible country if she hadn't had the terms of the NDA properly explained to her she would still have grounds to contest unfair dismissal.

    Except you have to sign an NDA or an employer agreement. Which is on paper. That she could read. She also could of clarified if she was confused. Also if she was in public with a coworker discussing the work, that's a big nono because the public could hear and have inside information on the company. There was a case where I worked where two employee's had a discussion in a restaurant with each other about a client. Turned out the clients wife just happened to be sitting near them that evening and overheard. They were both fired the next day.

    The question would be, was she given the NDA, explained it's reason and details and encouraged to read it, or was she told 'sign this, it's just about how you can't talk about stuff to outsiders' as a three second aside during the thousand other things she signed during her induction.

    would it matter?

    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    The shitload of money the British banking system is paying out to people for 'misold payment protection insurance' very much shows that over here at least, if you were mislead or poorly explained as to the contents of a contract by the person asking you to sign it then yes, it is invalid. I'm talking purely hypotheticals here.

    TingleSigBar.gif
  • BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm ceaselessly surprised by how many forumers aren't prepared for the adult world.

    What is this I don't even.
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    I'm ceaselessly surprised by how many forumers aren't prepared for the adult world.

    Pretty much this.

  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES.

    I don't think anything in the story actually says that it was someone else working on the same game, and not a friend who worked in another team / department / whatever.

    I might be wrong, though!

  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote:
    JayKaos wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Also 'once more onto the beach'.. I know that's got to be intentional, but damn.

    Yeah I had to read it twice to catch that. Pretty great.
    ?

    I thought it was a game dev joke about WWII games and D-Day.

    Like, damn that beach gets onto'ed like 5 times a year.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    JayKaos wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Also 'once more onto the beach'.. I know that's got to be intentional, but damn.

    Yeah I had to read it twice to catch that. Pretty great.
    ?

    I thought it was a game dev joke about WWII games and D-Day.

    Like, damn that beach gets onto'ed like 5 times a year.

    You're all wrong. It's a fat joke - beached whale.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    define "other employee"?

    because most if not all of them would ALSO be bound by the same NDA, so nothing would be breached by discussing it with them.

    or was it like, the janitor?

  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    You're assuming a lot of stuff that's not in the story and then getting really upset about it. Why are you doing that?

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote:
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    You're assuming a lot of stuff that's not in the story and then getting really upset about it. Why are you doing that?

    ... I'm pretty sure he's properly interpreting the ridiculousness of the story, Houk.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    Houk wrote:
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    You're assuming a lot of stuff that's not in the story and then getting really upset about it. Why are you doing that?

    because it's

    THE INTERNET

    faits.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    You're assuming a lot of stuff that's not in the story and then getting really upset about it. Why are you doing that?

    ... I'm pretty sure he's properly interpreting the ridiculousness of the story, Houk.

    He's created some nonexistant headhunter HR peon who didn't give the girl time to look at her NDA, decided it was "obviously" a misunderstanding despite only having a couple lines of info about the situation, and assuming it was a person working on the same game despite the fact that that's not stated explicitly in the story.

    I'm not saying it doesn't suck to lose your job over a slight breach, but why are people adding stupid extra details to it?

  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Houk wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Houk wrote:
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    You're assuming a lot of stuff that's not in the story and then getting really upset about it. Why are you doing that?

    ... I'm pretty sure he's properly interpreting the ridiculousness of the story, Houk.

    He's created some nonexistant headhunter HR peon who didn't give the girl time to look at her NDA, decided it was "obviously" a misunderstanding despite only having a couple lines of info about the situation, and assuming it was a person working on the same game despite the fact that that's not stated explicitly in the story.

    I'm not saying it doesn't suck to lose your job over a slight breach, but why are people adding stupid extra details to it?

    Look, just because you're part of the big brother conspiracy along with Big Foot and his Illuminati brownshirts doesn't mean that you can just ignore the completely made up facts presented in this story about this poor girl who was fired because she found out the truth about fluoride being added to drinking water.

    Hunter on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    BuhamutZeo wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    it was a legal document she signed.


    When you sign a document without reading it, it is no one's fault but yours. If she's stupid enough to sign anything without reading it, she deserved to be fired.

    Yeah, no chance that some douche head hunter or HR peon didn't shove shit in front of her one after another and started getting "annoyed" when she actually took time to read it, hurrying her along.

    No, she did not deserve to be fired for what was obviously a misunderstanding. A single corrective conversation and it wouldn't have happened again. SHE TALKED TO THE OTHER EMPLOYEE WORKING ON THE SAME GAME FOR GOD'S SAKES. The fuck is wrong with people who treat others like this?

    Have you like ever, participated in one?

    They are serious business and they explicitly say you do not talk about this subject, outside of these specified places, with these specified people.

    Many times the only thing you are allowed to say about an NDA is that you are currently bound by one and you cannot talk about the subject at hand.

    My own mother is currently angry with me because I am bound by one and I said the end product is going to be a huge fucking deal.

    So no. It was not an overreaction.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    We are going to have to accept that all of the tales from the Trenches will be lacking in a certain amount of context and detail which we would prefer to have. Often such background and details would make the difference between a story of a merely unfortunate but unsurprising incident and the story of a truly horrendous abuse. Some people will "fill in the blanks" one way and some will fill them in another, but there's little point in getting pissy at each other about it.

    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Not to mention some stories that people send in will be at least slightly embellished if not partially untrue. That is the one problem with receiving anonymous stories after all.

    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    This one time, my manager fired me for no reason.

    And then he raped my dog.

    True story.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    Falx wrote:
    This one time, my manager fired me for no reason.

    And then he raped my dog.

    True story.

    So you were working at Infinium Labs?

  • darleysamdarleysam UKRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote:
    Falx wrote:
    This one time, my manager fired me for no reason.

    And then he raped my dog.

    True story.

    So you were working at Team Bondi?

    forumsig.png
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    These strips seem to be generating more interest about the story under the comic than the comic themselves. I hope it starts revving up in a bit, seems pretty slow so far.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, so far the Trenches comic is like a less updated, slightly more specific Dilbert.

    What is this I don't even.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    edit: a delete button, my kingdom for delete button!

    Lord_Asmodeus on
    Lord_Asmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus2.gifz1i30sg.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    While it definitely sucks that the girl got fired for that, I think you can also look at it from the point of view of the employer.
    I mean if you're paying people to test your product, and they all collude to finish a section that they're having trouble with (so they're going through it in a similar way) aren't you now having that section tested less thoroughly?

    stimtokolos on
  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    Goose! wrote:
    JayKaos wrote:
    darleysam wrote:
    Also 'once more onto the beach'.. I know that's got to be intentional, but damn.

    Yeah I had to read it twice to catch that. Pretty great.
    ?

    I thought it was a game dev joke about WWII games and D-Day.

    Like, damn that beach gets onto'ed like 5 times a year.

    You're all wrong. It's a fat joke - beached whale.

    Yeah that's what I got too.

  • centocento Registered User
    The real issue with this girl, Annie, talking about the project with co-workers at lunch has almost certainly nothing to do with who she was speaking to but rather where she was speaking. People go to lunch and just talk shop and never stop to think about who might be listening. Sounds stupid and paranoid, I know, but it is a real concern.

    At a previous company where I worked, a lot of employees would go and eat at a local mall, a mall where there was a GameStop with a talkative staff that recognized many people from local game companies. Leaks definitely happened through that channel.

    I also remember hearing about a super-early project in prototype phase but based on a famous IP where it got leaked that the developer was working on this IP for a major publisher. It turned out that a couple of the devs went to a movie and were chatting about the project while a member of the gaming press happened to be sitting behind them. Whoops.


    And is what happened to Annie an over-reaction? Maybe. Or maybe this testing department needed to keep face with their superiors/clients to show that they keep their information confidentiality a priority and really had no alternative but to fire a girl who meant no harm but didn't think before speaking. Sometimes managers need to be assholes to protect their department and/or company from negative business fallout or legal repercussions. Needing to be that asshole is just one of the reasons managers tend to get paid well - most of us don't want to be that asshole.

    Just pointing out that we are getting stories from one perspective written by people who very often have very little of the full picture.

  • TaramoorTaramoor Registered User regular
    cento wrote:
    The real issue with this girl, Annie, talking about the project with co-workers at lunch has almost certainly nothing to do with who she was speaking to but rather where she was speaking. People go to lunch and just talk shop and never stop to think about who might be listening. Sounds stupid and paranoid, I know, but it is a real concern.

    At a previous company where I worked, a lot of employees would go and eat at a local mall, a mall where there was a GameStop with a talkative staff that recognized many people from local game companies. Leaks definitely happened through that channel.

    I also remember hearing about a super-early project in prototype phase but based on a famous IP where it got leaked that the developer was working on this IP for a major publisher. It turned out that a couple of the devs went to a movie and were chatting about the project while a member of the gaming press happened to be sitting behind them. Whoops.


    And is what happened to Annie an over-reaction? Maybe. Or maybe this testing department needed to keep face with their superiors/clients to show that they keep their information confidentiality a priority and really had no alternative but to fire a girl who meant no harm but didn't think before speaking. Sometimes managers need to be assholes to protect their department and/or company from negative business fallout or legal repercussions. Needing to be that asshole is just one of the reasons managers tend to get paid well - most of us don't want to be that asshole.

    Just pointing out that we are getting stories from one perspective written by people who very often have very little of the full picture.

    Generally, I agree.

    The only thing that seems out-of-place and a bit on the evil side (even for a game testing job) is the security presence. On the first day you don't assume someone is an evil, two-faced mole placed within your organization by a malevolent competitor seeking to undermine and sabotage the very lifeblood of your industry and decimate all that is good and wholesome.

    You quietly take them aside and inform them they're not going to be working there anymore. Then you make them pack up their shit and vacate the premises. Guards are always a little much unless there's a serious concern that the person will break or steal something on the way out.

  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Remind me to never get a job in America. Ever. Your labour law is the poops.

    Ignoring every other response to this comment, I'd like to point out that nowhere in that story does it identify the company or where this studio was located. It could have been in Great Britain, Ireland, Canada, Australia or New Zealand and have those names still be appropriate. And that's just dismissing the fact that those names have likely also been changed to protect the identities of the author and participants.

    NDA contracts are a part of the business no-matter what the country. This could have happened just as easily anywhere else because if you don't read the contract that you signed the law will not protect you for breaking the contract.

  • maritzacmaritzac Registered User regular
    I think I'm liking Cora more and Jacob less.

    And lima bean boss rocks.

  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote:
    Remind me to never get a job in America. Ever. Your labour law is the poops.

    Ignoring every other response to this comment, I'd like to point out that nowhere in that story does it identify the company or where this studio was located.

    It has to the US, because the story said they actually worked after lunch.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • AegeriAegeri Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, I honestly don't come here to discuss the comic but to discuss the stories they post with the comics. So far I don't like the comic at all, but those stories vary from horrendous to pretty sad. I wish there was more verifiable information in them, because some (like this) sound awful but in reality there isn't enough information to actually know what exactly happened (other than jumping to conclusions to "hate on the man"). It's a shame she got fired, but we don't know how specific they were about not talking to others and if that was made clear or not to her. It's easy to make assumptions, but I can't get all indignant about this unless I actually know what was going on properly.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    I'm ceaselessly surprised by how many forumers aren't prepared for the adult world.

    Pretty much this.

    I know you must think this is all very unfair. Maybe that's an understatement. What you don't know is I agree. I wish the world was a place where fair was the bottom line, where the kind of idealism you showed at the hearing was rewarded, not taken advantage of. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.
    16046-23772.jpg

    Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make of it.
    6a00d8352ff7b169e20147e26c6150970b-320wi.jpg

    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote:
    TankHammer wrote:
    Remind me to never get a job in America. Ever. Your labour law is the poops.

    Ignoring every other response to this comment, I'd like to point out that nowhere in that story does it identify the company or where this studio was located.

    It has to the US, because the story said they actually worked after lunch.

    I appreciate this comment greatly.

    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User
    Hewn wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    I'm ceaselessly surprised by how many forumers aren't prepared for the adult world.

    Pretty much this.

    I know you must think this is all very unfair. Maybe that's an understatement. What you don't know is I agree. I wish the world was a place where fair was the bottom line, where the kind of idealism you showed at the hearing was rewarded, not taken advantage of. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.
    16046-23772.jpg

    Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make of it.
    6a00d8352ff7b169e20147e26c6150970b-320wi.jpg

    A Contact reference, nice. Of course in this meme-oriented world we now live in, I was expecting a third panel where Tom Skerritt gets blown into a million bits. (And possibly a fourth panel with Jodie Foster wearing sunglasses looking smug David Caruso style.)

    WNskB.jpg
  • court12bcourt12b Registered User
    I'd like to see a "making of" video for one of these strips. I'm curious how adding Kurtz to the mix affects the dynamic.

  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Fandeathis wrote:
    MichaelLC wrote:
    TankHammer wrote:
    Remind me to never get a job in America. Ever. Your labour law is the poops.

    Ignoring every other response to this comment, I'd like to point out that nowhere in that story does it identify the company or where this studio was located.

    It has to the US, because the story said they actually worked after lunch.

    I appreciate this comment greatly.

    It was a thing of beauty.

    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    When I worked on halo 3 before it was released,we had to refer to it as project x. Failure to comply was instant dismissal. Even when talking to members of your own team.

    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Karl wrote:
    When I worked on halo 3 before it was released,we had to refer to it as project x. Failure to comply was instant dismissal. Even when talking to members of your own team.

    That is awesome
    I would love doing that because it would make me feel like I was working on creating Wolverine

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote:
    Karl wrote:
    When I worked on halo 3 before it was released,we had to refer to it as project x. Failure to comply was instant dismissal. Even when talking to members of your own team.

    That is awesome
    I would love doing that because it would make me feel like I was working on creating Wolverine

    No joke, they knew I posted on PA. How?...fuck if I know. I never told anyone at that place I posted on here.

    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Karl wrote:
    When I worked on halo 3 before it was released,we had to refer to it as project x. Failure to comply was instant dismissal. Even when talking to members of your own team.

    A game so diabolical, even is own developers dare not speak its name.

    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Karl wrote:
    When I worked on halo 3 before it was released,we had to refer to it as project x. Failure to comply was instant dismissal. Even when talking to members of your own team.

    A game so diabolical, even is own developers dare not speak its name.

    That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

    We were low paid and easily replaceable. They could do what the fuck they liked. And they employed people who would be too naive/gutless to try and protest. This includes me, because in hindsight I should have just walked and got a temp job somewhere else.

    YOU'RE ALL BABIES.
    SO MUCH POTENTIAL TO WASTE.
    Koshian wrote: »
    JOKE'S ON YOU
    MY POTENTIAL IS ALREADY WASTED
2
Sign In or Register to comment.