Options

Legend of Grimrock - Old school dungeon-crawl action! It's out... $15

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sup doggies, this looks fucking great. Games like this and Eschalon: Book 1 and 2 are some of my favorite kinds of games.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey Fenix, is there an interesting skill system? that's one of my favorite parts about the Etrian Odyssey series.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    this is what has been said regarding skills:

Quick update!

Skill and talent systems are now in place and we have currently around 10 skills and 10 talents implemented (more to come!). You can customize each prisoner with a point buy system and talents are special (secret) abilities that can be learned by doing various things in the game. So, skills have levels and talents are cool on/off powers. Skills are usually class specific but there are some overlapping skills as well. Oh, and we have spells now and they look sweet. And yes, we hear you, we are trying to squeeze character generation system into our busy schedule.

• Options
    from yesterday:
    Apologies for the infrequent blog posts lately. We have been extremely busy with getting the game to alpha stage where we can play through the game from start to finish. Not quite there yet but getting closer every day. Anyways, some avid readers have requested a status update so here it goes (we’ll try to post these weekly from now on):

+ Save games (big change which took much longer than I had thought!)
    + Main menu and in-game menus
    + Intro sequence when starting a new game
    + 7 dungeon levels are now in alpha
    + 11 monsters are now in alpha
    + Four new item classes: cloaks, amulets, gauntlets and bracers
    + Elemental damage resistances
    + A ton of smaller improvements

Since things are getting more hectic here we have also decided to start working one hour earlier every day. That’s 8am which is a little scary to me personally because I haven’t been waking up that early for work for years. Let’s see how this works out!

• Options
    Their blog post about how they create levels is a pretty interesting read too.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    This is slowly inching closer and closer to release. I believe they are done with the alpha.

Some stuff from the website
    Spell casting is an integral part of the diet of any healthy fantasy setting and there have been numerous different approaches to it in computer role playing games. To us, the systems where you pick a spell from a list have always felt very mundane: invoking magic should feel like you’re messing around with mystical forces instead of a spreadsheet! Runes are true and tested vessels for arcane power and they certainly make your imagination run wilder than text printed with Arial, size 12, so using them was a pretty obvious choice for us from the get go. And despite them being more abstract than writing, they still have the opportunity of having a logical underlying structure that prevents the spell casting system from turning into a bewildering mess where the player doesn’t have a chance to figure out what he’s actually doing. I’m here to explain a little bit of how we handle that logic and what our runes are.

Here’s our spell casting panel that you might have seen earlier:
    magic_runes01.jpg

How the runes are laid out in a 3 by 3 grid is already a major part of the logic since the placement of the runes bear a meaning. The pattern has a center rune and that center is surrounded by other runes along the outer edges of the pattern. The outer runes always have an opposite: the opposite of the rune in the lower left hand corner is the rune in the top right corner and so on. But maybe I’m getting a little ahead of myself now, it’s probably just better to go through the individual runes first and then we’ll get back to this.
    Another extremely busy week behind us and even more busier times ahead! Generally we have been tweaking, bug fixing and polishing many aspects of the game this week. Some highlights:

First pass of story related content has been added to the game. This will continue as we work towards the beta.
    Juho has finalized end cinematic graphics.
    We have all monsters now in place and animated. Olli is still going to add more detail to animations and keep improving them.
    First batch of performance optimizations have been implemented. The game is now playable in 1080p with decent frame rate even with our relative old and cheap PCs!
    We’re in the middle of redoing the gui so that it scales to higher resolutions nicely. This work should be complete sometime next week.
    Related to the gui changes we have a new font rendering system which is capable of rendering vectorized true type fonts (previously all fonts were bitmap based), so text look much sharper now, especially in higher resolutions.
    Groundwork for “secrets found” statistics has been done, i.e. we have a mechanism of marking and tracking secrets in the game. The game has already 45 secrets and I think we’ll still add a bunch!
    Antti has been generating a gallon of mucus and has also been adding new items to the game.
    Work on tutorials has been started.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    kajsgdhfjkaghdkh I need this

• Options
    I'm so glad that they're in beta. That means it won't be too long before they release, I think they said early next year?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    uggghhh this is so pretty

not sure how sold I am on the combat though. its really going to take actually trying to be able to tell

• Options
    Thanks for updating this, I haven't been keeping up w it

• Options
    Dec 5

Hellouu! This week’s update contains stuff from the last two weeks since last week’s big feature here on the blog was the beta trailer and the new screenshots. It’s getting increasingly difficult to compile these lists since we are not adding that many new shiny things into the game but instead we focus more and more on the small details, bugs and balancing.

Here we go:
    * You can write notes on the map now. We are also redoing the map background graphics and layout to look better and show more information.
    * 2 final levels have been reworked quite a bit. The flow of these levels clearly needed improvement.
    * More character portraits have been added (19 total now).
    * Graphics and audio options have been implemented.
    * Added support for treasure maps.
    * Game statistics have been implemented. For example, you can now track the number of monsters killed, items found and most importantly your progress on the secrets.
    * The tutorial has been improved and extended quite a bit.
    * Added compass item which should be helpful if you dare to play in old school mode (no auto-map).
    * Work on adding special attacks for monsters has started.
    * And of course lots and lots of bug fixes and polishing.

Next up:
    * More bug fixing and polishing.
    * Add a few more spells and potions for extra variety.
    * Testing, testing, testing…

• Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    Ok this looks pretty neat.

Have to make sure not to forget about this,

3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    Well, the devs are fucking awesome, apparently
    JgKda.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    redfenix wrote:
    JgKda.jpg
    That is awesome.
    The kind of awesome that would sell me a game I've never heard of before seeing that, just to support the dev team.

see317 on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that is real cool of those dudes. I love the 'Hey, why not?' reaction.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Games like this were well before my time, but I've always wanted to try one.

I hope they add a few more landmarks though otherwise I'm going to get lost so quickly.

Flay on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Flay wrote:
    Games like this were well before my time, but I've always wanted to try one.

I hope they add a few more landmarks though otherwise I'm going to get lost so quickly.

Weird as it sounds, I personally LOVE getting lost- both in games and in real life. Maybe it's kind of a "the areas I don't know are left to my imagination" thing.

• Options
  • Options
    Time seems to pass abnormally fast when you’re working hard on a project and certainly this has been the case in March for us. But hey, thanks to the leap day we got at least one extra working day! We are certainly now starting to feel the pressure of the fast approaching release date which on one hand feels a really joyful moment but at the same time it’s a bit frightening because we have to stop polishing and adding cool stuff to the game we have learned to love so much. Legend of Grimrock is certainly a lot more personal project to us than other games we have worked on in the past and therefore it’s a bit sad to finally let our baby go out to the big world.

Therefore we have worked extra hard this week and nailed a lot of bugs, including two crash bugs near the end of the game – a big thank you to our beta testers who have been relentlessly playing the game. Apart from fixing bugs we have also polished various aspects of the game. For example, we completely reworked the save game dialog so that it now shows information such as characters and their levels, play time and the current dungeon and level you’re playing in. In bigger news we have implemented 40 achievements, some of them pretty challenging to unlock. Olli has almost but finalized the remaining animations so his animation work for LoG is now pretty much complete unless our testers still find something to fix. Juho is also gradually moving on from the game to work on the launch trailer. Antti and me, we have been juggling with various miscellaneous tasks that just have to be done.

We know you’re all anxious to hear about the release plans and as you probably already saw in the big poster above, we’re finally able to tell you something concrete: The PC version of Legend of Grimrock will be released in early April and we are going to start preorders a few weeks before launch. That said, we have signed NDAs so we are not allowed to tell the exact date and distribution platforms just yet but rest assured that everything is now in good hands.

To celebrate this Antti and Juho have kindly setup a forum. Discussions should certainly be a lot easier there than in the blog comments.

So we’re not done just yet but close! So, what’s up next? There’s still a few bugs to fix and testers are still finding stuff to polish. We are also going to do the long overdue site migration to a more powerful server with more bandwidth over the next two weeks. Biggest of all we are going to freeze the code and content pretty soon, build our first release candidate and start the final round of testing. We hope to get the RC out of the oven to testers sometime next week. And before you ask, beta testing is still closed so no need to apply for beta testing, thank you

So that’s it, see you on the forums!

• Options
    Fuck yeah son, it's about time!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I can't wait to play this game

in fact, I'm gonna re-install Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack on my old computer

and play them

• Options
    Gather around everyone and listen to another wonderful tale of “things that have happened during the past week or so”.

Well, the game is almost done. And amazingly, it’s still pretty entertaining even for me to wander in the hallways and fight some monsters and solve puzzles even though by this point I should already be seriously overdosed by the game. And some of our friends who have been testing the game have already played the game through twice or more! Needless to say, all of this seems very promising to us and we hope the game will find its audience when it is released in April.

Oh, and what was it specifically that I meant by the game being “almost done”? Well, we’re no longer in beta, baby! On wednesday, we built the RC1, or release candidate 1, version of the game. This means that we “freeze” the development of the game (by stopping adding new features, basically) and start concentrating entirely on getting the game as stable as possible for the release. If something pops up that absolutely needs to be added to the game, it’s quite possible that we’ll have to wait until we do an update. Among the last things we improved on the game were: additional polishing of some of the GUI elements, save/load game dialog overhaul, some improved monster animations and miscellaneous level tweaks. I know the list of changes doesn’t look that impressive or sexy at this point but we needed to move carefully so we wouldn’t introduce any new bugs.

Since we start to slow down little by little with the actual development of the game itself, we start to work more on all the other things that just need to be done for the release. A lot of it is related to marketing and I’m sure that no one is surprised to hear that me and Juho have been spending some quality time with Fraps video capture software lately.

Also, yesterday we migrated our web servers to a new platform (thanks for helping us out, Jani!) and now we are much better equipped for high amounts of traffic. Oh yeah, we mentioned this already last week, but we have a forum now. It’s a much better place for proper discussions than the comments section of the blog which can be pretty difficult to follow so if you’ve got questions of the game or just want to talk about old school RPGs or H.P. Lovecraft for example, register! News will still of course be posted here on the blog and we’ll do our best to follow the comments and posts on both places.

So that’s it for this week’s dose of information! Have a nice weekend everyone.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    whoop this is gonna be sweet

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Awesome. I remember following this on TIG, and it's hear that it's so close to release!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Normally a sane corporate developer wouldn’t fix non-critical issues in a game just a couple of weeks from launch. But “sane” and “corporate” doesn’t really describe us that well so in our madness we decided to do one more build this week. The build improves the behavior of certain spells, fixes a non-fatal level scripting bug and we couldn’t resist balancing stats of two monsters while we were at it. Olli also fixed a minor animation issue with door pullchains that manifested only on 4:3 displays. None of the issues were critical and we could have waited for a post-launch patch but we really can’t keep our fingers off this thing, it seems!

Observant readers probably understand the dire consequences of these actions: Yes, I owe Antti a beer. Any recommendations btw.? I’m looking for something that I can buy here in Finland for an indie-affordable price. (Those who missed last week’s post are probably totally clueless what I’m talking about )

That said, we are really happy to announce that we’re now officially in gold, that’s GOOOOOOOOOOLD BABY! *dancing around the office like a fool*

It’s been a long and challenging journey but we have finally reached this important milestone. But we don’t think it’s the end of the road, more like a fork in the road with ways branching into all sorts of interesting directions: iOS, Mac, map editor, sequel, new IP, living in a dumpster totally broke…

Now that the game is done, we can fully concentrate on launch preparations like the trailer, press releases, sending out review copies for the press, interviews and so on.

Everybody at the office is totally jazzed up and we really can’t keep in our pants much longer. You are probably as anxious to hear about the details and we can finally reveal them all next week!

Stay tuned!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    redfenix wrote: »
    JgKda.jpg

This is thoroughly worthy of high fives, and I will be spreading the word on this around my friends.

:^: :^:

Fyndir on
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Personface wrote: »
    What are the sysreqs for this supposed to be

What are the Windows PC system requirements?
    The bare minimum is a DX9 graphics card and Windows XP.

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Good grief, this looks awesome. Those Wizardry flashbacks I thought I'd managed to shake free of are manifesting again.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I am so excited about this game. I really, really want the iOS version.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    looking forward to this!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Yeah, still excited for this

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular

Fuck you, there's no iOS version is there? God dammit I am well and truly fucked if there is.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus

Fuck you, there's no iOS version is there? God dammit I am well and truly fucked if there is.
    From what I understand, first release is for PC, followed quickly by Mac and iOS

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    But yeah, between this game and Baldur's Gate coming out for iOS, I am kissing my productivity goodbye.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    This game looks rad

One of the things I love most is how they added that control scheme for the dude that asked about it

You wouldn't see a bigger company do that

• Options
    And it was just for one dude. Not even a group of people, just one random guy asked about it and they did it so he could enjoy the game more.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    But yeah, between this game and Baldur's Gate coming out for iOS, I am kissing my productivity goodbye.

Oh my. This...this is like the best possible interface for an iPad. A game on an iPad that I might actually prefer to play than my Xbox.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have just laybuyed myself an 64gb IPad.

Seeing this is coming out on IOS and then Baldur's Gate has justified that purchase for me.