As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goshen College earns ironic hate and threats of violence.

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So a small Indiana college, Goshen, has decided they will no longer play The Star Spangled Banner before events. Goshen had actually not done so until March of 2010, but when they started playing the song, students and alumni of the predominantly Mennonite college objected. They felt the song glorified war and violence and being Mennonites, they didn't want to be associated with it.

So now they chose to play America the Beautiful instead.

And, of course, they aren't 'patriotic' anymore.

Who knew that a song many people don't know the words to could inspire such hatred for a small college filled with people whose faith stresses peace. Many of the comments on the Yahoo write up are truely inspiring. This one stands out:
They need to send in the national guard, Kent state style.

It's also ironic that every now and again, there is a movement in congress to change the national anthem from The Star Spangled Banner to America the Beautiful. Though it's usually because they want a song that actually uses the word 'America' in it.

Santa Claustrophobia on

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Go jingoism!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    America the Beautiful is a totes better song and should be our national anthem. The only problem is that it contains references to God and so should (though thanks to SCOTUS technically wouldn't) violate the establishment clause. The Star Spangled Banner sucks. Also too, our flag design is pretty mediocre.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The idea of singing any song, at all, before events is pretty stupid. The fact that it's the national anthem is doubly so.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Completely reasonable. I would see no reason why people would have a fuss over it.

Also, I don't read Yahoo news comments because they represent the lowest opinions and beliefs of humanity and make me want to say...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    That it only started happening during World War II should give a clue about what it's for.

EDIT:
    I only skimmed them because I knew such a story would provide a cornucopia of stupid. And I was not disappointed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2011
    I don't feel like the anthem glorifies war, but this doesn't even register a complaint. Much less fucked-up responses like the "Kent State Style" comment. What the fucking hell?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    The idea of singing any song, at all, before events is pretty stupid. The fact that it's the national anthem is doubly so.

Eh, I don't know. Having a sort of universal prologue to public events seems useful.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I try not to think of dum-dums on the internet as real people.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I don't feel like the anthem glorifies war, but this doesn't even register a complaint. Much less fucked-up responses like the "Kent State Style" comment. What the fucking hell?

That's because you only ever hear the first stanza. Though even so, it literally just plays up the fact that we withstood a constant barrage of shelling. It's basically 'America! Shoot at us all you want, bitches, we're still here!'

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The Star Spangled Banner is notable as being one of the few (I'd once heard it was the only, but can't find any proof) national anthems that takes on a particularly violent bent. Most are about how beautiful or awesome the country is. Even the more martial anthems are pretty mild. The Soviet national anthem was pretty tame despite how angry it sounded.

I imagine the sort of people who are upset at this development are the same sort of people who bought those car flags years ago and drove around with it forever until it was dirty and ragged and then fell of the car when they forgot it was there.

Some symbols need more effort than 'just because' to be really meaningful.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The Star Spangled Banner is a much more interesting song than America the Beautiful and ought to remain the anthem for that reason alone

national anthems are mostly fucking boring, why can't we have a fun one

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    America the Beautiful is a totes better song and should be our national anthem. The only problem is that it contains references to God and so should (though thanks to SCOTUS technically wouldn't) violate the establishment clause. The Star Spangled Banner sucks. Also too, our flag design is pretty mediocre.

The Star Spangled Banner does too, in the last verse though. And since no one knows more than the first verse, nobody cares.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    The intelligence of people most likely falls along a normal distribution. The people on the way low end, like -1.96 z-score, somehow all find their way into the comments section of stories like that.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I"m reading a book right now about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and how at the opening ceremonies for the fair, the crowd all sang "America the Beautiful" because that was what they thought the national anthem should have been.

You know, back before there was a decision made. For what it's worth, New Zealand's National Anthem is called "God Save New Zealand" and is sung first in English and then again in Maori. Which is really pretty to listen to.

• Options
    The intelligence of people most likely falls along a normal distribution. The people on the way low end, like -1.96 z-score, somehow all find their way into the comments section of stories like that.

Because most people realize that no one gives two shits about what they have to think in a comment section. It's as bad as YouTube comments.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Cant this be our national anthem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiMrvDbq3s

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I"m reading a book right now about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 and how at the opening ceremonies for the fair, the crowd all sang "America the Beautiful" because that was what they thought the national anthem should have been.

You know, back before there was a decision made. For what it's worth, New Zealand's National Anthem is called "God Save New Zealand" and is sung first in English and then again in Maori. Which is really pretty to listen to.

Devil in the White City? great book.

Also, I have to agree that America the Beautiful would be a better Anthem, although there are a bunch of military anthems.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Now I'm curious what a Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock version of America the Beautiful would've sounded like, had it been our national anthem.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Jokerman wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiMrvDbq3s

lolwut. What's this thing he's talking about in this song? "This land is your land, this land is my land" is this guy implying that America is controlled by its citizens? wut.

In all seriousness, this should be our national anthem.

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    LidjisLidjis Registered User regular
    I am a Goshen College graduate. I would be happy to answer any questions any of you have if you are curious.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:

Finally! Someone understands me.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

God Save the Queen is also our national anthem as well. At my state school in the South Island we would alternate between the two.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mennonites are neat. My mother's side of the family is mostly Mennonite, actually. One of my uncles sat out Vietnam as a conscientious objector, and my grandfather sat out World War II. They're no less patriotic for their pacifistic views, and I'll punch anybody in the face who says otherwise.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:

*Woody Guthrie*

It would be the most depressing fucking anthem ever? I'm pro-"America the Beautiful," personally. I'm also a sucker for "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" but obviously it shouldn't be the national anthem.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Stupid drinking song spin off national anthem

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote:

God Save the Queen is also our national anthem as well. At my state school in the South Island we would alternate between the two.

Yes. but I don't think they sing "God Save The Queen" in Maori. which makes it less nifty.

in my personal opinion.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    The biggest knock against the current anthem is that no one can sing it. You need a hell of a singing voice to make it sound decent, while you need only an adequate voice for a decent rendition of America the Beautiful.ice for a decent rendition of America the Beautiful.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

Eh, I don't know. Having a sort of universal prologue to public events seems useful.

How so?

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    If Bob Jones U gets to ban interracial dating, Goshen College can ban the National Anthem.

Besides everybody only knows 2 verses of the national anthem anyways: The first and the last. Inbetween they go nhur,nhur,nhur.

Ankh-Morpork had the right idea.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    moniker wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

How so?

Yeah, I find the song singing annoying.

• Options
    <insert idealistic pie in the sky in the following>

It's a good way to get everybody, at least for that moment in space, on the same page. Sure, you're rooting for the Phillies, and I'm cheering on the Mets, but at this point in time in space we can all get together and sing a song for the 3 minutes or so of your life that it takes. And then we can go back to throwing things at each other and booing.

Also, I have to admit it, the best part of going to the Orioles games growing up (other than watching Cal Ripken Jr play) was the end of the song where "oh say does that star..." part happens and everybody in the entire stadium shouts out "OH!" at the same time (because you know, Orioles.. O's... yeah ok hush it's fun).

Also, I have to say that I enjoy hearing the Star Spangled Banner played at the Olympics. I don't quite think that "America the Beautiful" will have that same stirring sound to it as the National Anthem is played when your athlete/team is on top of the podium. But again, I'm a crazy idealistic who likes to pretend that every once in a while people can stop arguing and get to one point together.

/end fantasy talk

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    what they need is a good fight song...
    oh wa-...
    nm

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote:
    what they need is a good fight song...
    oh wa-...
    nm

I'm in favor of making "The Victors" the national anthem. :P

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I'd mainly be happy if fans half in the bag from tailgating didn't start cheering before the damn thing is over. If you're going to play the anthem, play the anthem. I don't want to hear peoplestart cheering at "banner yet wave" or "rockets' red glare" or drowning out the whole fucking thing I'm looking at you Bears fans.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The Star Spangled Banner is notable as being one of the few (I'd once heard it was the only, but can't find any proof) national anthems that takes on a particularly violent bent. Most are about how beautiful or awesome the country is. Even the more martial anthems are pretty mild. The Soviet national anthem was pretty tame despite how angry it sounded.

Sixth verse of "God Save the Queen":
    Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring
    May he sedition hush
    And like a torrent rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush
    God save the Queen

Although it's not like anybody sings that verse, or any of them past the first. The second verse has bits about frustrating our enemies' knavish tricks, but that's not really violent and it's all about saving the Queen so it's more about self-defence.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    StrayDogStrayDog Registered User regular
    edited August 2011

Isn't La Marseillaise a violent song? Though, I always liked that scene from Casablanca.

The biggest knock against the current anthem is that no one can sing it. You need a hell of a singing voice to make it sound decent, while you need only an adequate voice for a decent rendition of America the Beautiful.ice for a decent rendition of America the Beautiful.

I always felt Star Spangled Banner was sang very poorly when sung solo. People always have to add in clumsy, exaggerated melismas. But I heard an Army choir's rendition and thought that was pretty awesome. I feel like it's a song that needs multiple people.

Edit - I could totally get behind Guthrie's This Land is Your Land. I don't find it depressing at all.

StrayDog on
    Let me go down in the mud, where the rivers all run dry.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote:

Besides everybody only knows 2 verses of the national anthem anyways: The first and the last. Inbetween they go nhur,nhur,nhur.

People know the last verse? I'm not even sure I've ever heard the last verse.

I'm completely in favor of America the Beautiful. Because, well, America is beautiful. Specifically, I think the official version should be sung by Ray Charles.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote:

We agree on so many things. We should make a shitload of babies to continue our work of posting THE WORD on internet forums, apo.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Lidjis wrote:
    I am a Goshen College graduate. I would be happy to answer any questions any of you have if you are curious.

Why do you hate America?

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    We should make our national anthem "My Country, 'Tis of Thee"!

Wait...

Allegedly a voice of reason.