As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Goshen College earns ironic hate and threats of violence.

13»

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    Hmm, thinking about it now Sign of the Cross would actually work alright with its structure and how distinctive the riffs are, if slowed down a bit (and obviously with different lyrics).

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It should be the "Bda-ba-ba"s and "So Good"s of sweet Caroline, since everyone knows them, and tries to sing it whenever they hear it anyways.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    fortis wrote:
    Mennonites are neat. My mother's side of the family is mostly Mennonite, actually. One of my uncles sat out Vietnam as a conscientious objector, and my grandfather sat out World War II. They're no less patriotic for their pacifistic views, and I'll punch anybody in the face who says otherwise.

Really? The town I grew up in was dominated by Mennonites and they're all a bunch of hypocritical suburban Republicans.

You know, I'm trying to think if I've ever heard any of my mom's family express any kind of political views, and I'm coming up short. All I know is that they're some of the nicest people I know and they make delicious food.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lidjis wrote:
    I am a Goshen College graduate. I would be happy to answer any questions any of you have if you are curious.
    Boooo hisssss
    Bethel grad here. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Yeah, the idea that the Star Spangled Banner is some how uniquely aggressive or militaristic was definitely formed and passed on through ignorance. Particularly as it is a song about a symbol and a people withstanding, not conquering.

America the Beautiful is a great song, but I have to say the history and poetry behind the Star Spangled Banner makes it a far better national anthem; one of the best in the world by far.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    As somebody primarily from Colorado, I think the song about that state is the best (America the Beautiful(Ok, so it was only the primary influence but still))

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I was at a NASCAR race years ago (sometime in the 90's) and they pulled Anita Bryant out of nowhere to sing the anthem.

She got to the final part and everyone started cheering...and she kept singing.

At the time I didn't know the full original lyrics had four sections and that we typically only sing the first. I don't know if she sang all four, but she was singing for a LONG time.

Meanwhile you had 50,000 rednecks standing around in silence, looking at each other and wondering what the hell was going on.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    It's like a Frosty the Snowman effect. Everyone knows the chorus, no one knows the actual song. I think you could probably get away with just adding in random lines if you were convincing. In fact I would pay to see Eddie Izzard do just that.

He's pretty convincing with stuff that most people SHOULD know something about. With something like this though, I doubt anyone would know. National theme songs are universally creepy and religious at this point anyway I'd rather just they do the USA chant three times and call it done.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Most National Anthems have more than the one verse (+chorus for some) that is all most people know.