As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 won't boot

DingusDingus Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I was watching some movies, switched over to Deus Ex and while my save was loading the screen went black and the red light started flashing and wouldn't turn back on. I let it sit for a while unplugged, when I try and turn it on the light goes green for a second, then yellow then back to flashing red.

I'm assuming that it is dead. If I get a new slim model, can I take the hard-drive from my 40gb fat, put it in the slim, then back up my saves on an external drive and put the new HDD in? Or am I SoL on my save data if the old system won't ever boot?

Dingus on

• bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    If you put your old HDD in the new PS3Slim, I'm almost positive the HDD will be reformatted, deleting all your saves.

This "Yellow Light of Death" has happened to me twice (same system), and both times, I was able to get it back with all my saves intact by sending it to a repair shop (I had the extended warranty through Walmart). Once I got it back the second time, I transferred everything to a new slim and gave my old fat to a friend.

Chances are your save data is still ok, but it may not be accessible unless you pay to get it repaired. Then it's just a matter of if it's worth it.

EDIT: If you have a disc stuck in the machine, google "YLoD disc stuck" for a sequence of button presses to possibly retrieve your disc. It didn't work for me with my first YLoD, but it did with my second.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist