As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Possible memory leak and system slowdown?

TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I seem to be experiencing some general system slowdown here, checking task manager I see that half my total memory is being used up at the moment, even after rebooting.

http://i51.tinypic.com/15of4lh.jpg (task manager and performance monitor)

I dunno if this is what is causing the general slowness or what else might be. But also it says I have a total of 2 gigs of RAM when I have 2x2 gig sticks in there. But I think this has to do with my motherboard forcing me to run them as DDR2 800 instead of 1033s?

My motherboard is a crappy biostar AMD board.

I can't really think of any other reason my computer might be acting slow right now? Can anyone help out?

EDIT: Turns out one of my sticks came unseated somehow... Uhhg, still I'm seeing about a fourth of my memory being used basically by firefox and a few other programs near ten thousand kb.

Tallahasseeriel on

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Firefox routinely used large amounts of memory for me. It's one of the main reasons I switched to Chrome.

Now chrome routinely uses large amounts of memory.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Use Opera if you're tired of Firefox sucking up resources.

• existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Browsers, particularly if you're doing something like streaming video or running a flash game, take up a large chunk of memory. A browser using a gig when you have 4 gigs of RAM is nothing to worry about.

And programs using 10,000kb is nothing.

If you have 4 gigs of RAM and are experiencing noticeable system slowdown, these processes alone are not the culprit.

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Have you defragged recently?

This is assuming you're still getting slowdown after you got that RAM back in. Is that the case? Cause it's not weird for you to get some sluggishness when only two gigs were being used, because 1: Vista/7 take a good amount of RAM just to run, there's a reason why they require you to have 2 gigs at minimum. 2: If only one stick was in then you weren't getting the dual-channel efficiency of two RAM sticks (assuming these are two 2 gig sticks).

Adus on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah actually since I reseated the sticks I haven't really been noticing any slowdown. Everything seems normal now.

I really don't know how that one stick came unseated.