As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: This is the old thread. Don't post here.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    august wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:
    august wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Just finished the game.

I was a bit disappointed in one major thing
    None of the storyline endings really properly fit someone with the opinion of "Augmentation is great but we need to work on removing neuropozyne dependency". To me, that was the only problem with the tech, and Taggart's ending didn't really seem to fit that.
    Wasn't that Sarif's ending?
    Sarif's ending was "Lets blame Humanity Front so they go away, and then we can go back to exactly what we were doing before." Didn't seem like it fit, to be honest.
    Sarif also wants to use Adam's dna to create a gene therapy to get rid of the need for neuropozine. Basically open-market augmentation for everyone (who can afford it) without the control of the Illuminati.
    crap, I totally misinterpreted that and went for Taggart's ending as being as close as you can get.
    Well, I'm doing a full on combat run through this next playthrough, so I'll pick that one next time. Currently I am engaged in a standoff with the entire population of the police station.
    Why do people always have problems with the police station? Just empathize with the dude at the front desk, and you have the run of the whole place for the rest of the time in Detroit 1. Do people just like killing cops? If you haven't done it properly yet, the backstory is that he was the head of the SWAT team, you were ordered to kill an aug kid and refused, so his bosses ordered him to do it and he feels like shit about it. Don't be an asshole and you have free reign.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:
    august wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:
    august wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Just finished the game.

I was a bit disappointed in one major thing
    None of the storyline endings really properly fit someone with the opinion of "Augmentation is great but we need to work on removing neuropozyne dependency". To me, that was the only problem with the tech, and Taggart's ending didn't really seem to fit that.
    Wasn't that Sarif's ending?
    Sarif's ending was "Lets blame Humanity Front so they go away, and then we can go back to exactly what we were doing before." Didn't seem like it fit, to be honest.
    Sarif also wants to use Adam's dna to create a gene therapy to get rid of the need for neuropozine. Basically open-market augmentation for everyone (who can afford it) without the control of the Illuminati.
    crap, I totally misinterpreted that and went for Taggart's ending as being as close as you can get.
    Well, I'm doing a full on combat run through this next playthrough, so I'll pick that one next time. Currently I am engaged in a standoff with the entire population of the police station.
    Why do people always have problems with the police station? Just empathize with the dude at the front desk, and you have the run of the whole place for the rest of the time in Detroit 1. Do people just like killing cops? If you haven't done it properly yet, the backstory is that he was the head of the SWAT team, you were ordered to kill an aug kid and refused, so his bosses ordered him to do it and he feels like shit about it. Don't be an asshole and you have free reign.
    yeah thats exactly what I did the first time. But this time I intend to be an absolute mass murderer. If they're going to treat me like an augmented monster then damnit thats what I'll be.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2011
    ...he just said that he's doing an all combat runthrough.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if all combat has to mean you act like a psychopath though. I mean are you making sure that you're killing every civillian on the street? There is a difference between a 'violent' playthrough and just murdering people for the hell of it. For what it's worth, I can't remember a single time in the game that the police treated you like you were some sort of 'augmented monster.'

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Sometimes you just need to murder absolutely everybody.

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    I am now inspired to kill every single person in Detroit and then sing `Singing in the Rain' while I jump around the empty city.

In Deus Ex, that is.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I will be killing everyone on the streets too.

Not necessarily immediately, because I don't want to accidentally mess up the sidequests. But eventually.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    "No you can't stab him; no you can't play Minesweeper on my computer; no you can't throw vending machines at citizens, [tyranny tyranny tyranny]."

If taking down fascist monsters doesn't suit, many of them are corrupt! Public service.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    They won't let me hack their computers in front of them, THEREFORE THEY DIE

• Options
    If I were going to act psychopathically, I think I'd go 'American Psycho' and sing Huey Lewis tunes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So it turns out that Gibbed Debug Mode mod for DX:HR has a toggle option in it that turns off the consumption of energy by your Augs.

Now, truly, your dreams of fridge-based genocide can be realised without having to quaff energy bars constantly.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You can't quaff a solid.

Unless he has blender tonsils or something.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    He has a throat-gizzard. Another one of Sarif's hidden contractual "improvements".

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Personally I approve of Sarif's decision to augment both arms instead of just one.

The lack of symmetry in the people with only one augmented arm offends my OCD.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote:
    Personally I approve of Sarif's decision to augment both arms instead of just one.

But....Sarif only has 1 augmented arm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Dhalphir wrote:

But....Sarif only has 1 augmented arm

i know and it looks silly.

to be fair, his is decorated like a fucking boss

but it still looks silly to have only one augmented arm.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    What would be really silly is trying to walk with one augmented leg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:

With 1 augmented anything you wouldn't be able to have any super-human abilities really. Except maybe I guess the Icarus landing system.

With a single augmented arm, your skeleton and natural muscles are unlikely to be able to bear the force of doing stuff like punching through walls - to have that ability you need to replace not just the arm, but the bone and muscle all down the spine, pelvis and legs - not to mention you might not want to throw concrete-shattering forces through natural flesh in the sole of your foot.

Biophysics is a fascinating subject when you get down to it. Also sadly convincing that any amount of human augmentation starts to be very all or nothing.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well Sarrifs augs are civvies. He probably doesn't have super abilities and whatnot.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    He has a military grade Banshee Whining Augment. On a less grating subject, the Double Barreled Shotgun is gorgeous. I love how delightfully ananchronistic it is. Just Jensen and his Boomstick.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Lowlander wrote:
    I don't know if all combat has to mean you act like a psychopath though. I mean are you making sure that you're killing every civillian on the street? There is a difference between a 'violent' playthrough and just murdering people for the hell of it. For what it's worth, I can't remember a single time in the game that the police treated you like you were some sort of 'augmented monster.'

They aren't real people. They're texture maps over polygons. Chill out.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Spoit wrote:

Doesn't this happen all the time nowadays? Just because you have a cyberleg it doesn't mean you're stomping around with ten times the power of the normal one.

Esh on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote:
    Question regarding Hengsha 2:
    When they keep trying to get you to get the upgraded chip, I refused because "lol conspiracies." On a scale from screwed to buttraped, how bad of a decision was that?
    You didn't get the chip? That was a good move.
    I was upset that getting the upgrading chip didn't give you some kind of bonus(atleast a praxix kit or something)-was very obvious going into it that getting it would screw you at somepoint later in the game

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Regarding the intro scene.
    Lowlander wrote:

Really? They aren't real! Thanks for the update chief. I was really concerned there for a second.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote:
    Regarding the intro scene.
    Lowlander wrote:

Really? They aren't real! Thanks for the update chief. I was really concerned there for a second.

Okay buddy.

Edit: hehehehehe

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Is the Tracer Tong mission worth paying 2.40 for?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular

Yes. More than the mission, the AUDs that are provided really open up the gameplay, making a no-hacking run much more bearable. Plus, the grenade launcher is just FUN.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

Yes. More than the mission, the AUDs that are provided really open up the gameplay, making a no-hacking run much more bearable. Plus, the grenade launcher is just FUN.

Forgot the DLC came out. how many hours does it take to do?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Er... maybe one? The actual "mission" is very short and just helps flesh out the events at the dock. But you do start with some additional goodies and the AUDs can be found scattered around the game.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Lowlander wrote:

Glad I could help out. I was slightly worried about how difficult you seemed to be taking the deaths of imaginary people.

• Options
    Lowlander wrote:

Glad I could help out. I was slightly worried about how difficult you seemed to be taking the deaths of imaginary people.

Heaven forbid we consider the imaginary repercussions of our actions in a game whose subplots largely involve the effects of them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Part of the fun of a game in which your actions have repercussions is in trying things differently on subsequent playthroughs to see how they pan out.

• Options
    Part of the fun of a game in which your actions have repercussions is in trying things differently on subsequent playthroughs to see how they pan out.

I still need to try and work O'Malley's side of things for that side quest in Detroit. Is it possible? Nothing shows up on the objectives screen saying you can.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    no, you can't.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

I still need to try and work O'Malley's side of things for that side quest in Detroit. Is it possible? Nothing shows up on the objectives screen saying you can.

For that,
    The quest just ends if kill you him. Like... "poof". Gone.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Spoit wrote:

With 1 augmented anything you wouldn't be able to have any super-human abilities really. Except maybe I guess the Icarus landing system.

With a single augmented arm, your skeleton and natural muscles are unlikely to be able to bear the force of doing stuff like punching through walls - to have that ability you need to replace not just the arm, but the bone and muscle all down the spine, pelvis and legs - not to mention you might not want to throw concrete-shattering forces through natural flesh in the sole of your foot.

Biophysics is a fascinating subject when you get down to it. Also sadly convincing that any amount of human augmentation starts to be very all or nothing.

Eh it depends how much strength we're talking.

I can break through a normal wall with a sledgehammer, and it causes strain but it'll hardly shatter my bones to do it. I don't see much difference if instead my fist is a super hard metal alloy.

When you get into "concrete shattering forces" I agree, but the human body would be able to withstand forces capable of say, turning a man's face into ill-defined hamburger with an augmented arm readily enough, as you can do that with regular strength and just some brass knuckles - so it's hardly evidence that any amount of human augmentation is all or nothing. Even in Deus Ex, most augs aren't nearly as strong as Jensen, only apparently those who have also had really significant amounts of their biology replaced.

I mean replacing someone's arm with an arm of roughly equal strength wouldn't require their whole skeleton to be replaced, and would still have *TONS* of advantages. Imagine you had no more strength than you do now in your arm, but your arm and hand were essentially immune to heat, cuts, bruises, and strain - imagine you could "lock" your fingers and use your hand as a wrench, etc.

override367 on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    So, uh, I finally installed that one patch (PS3 version). I had held off on it because I thought it might add those dumb loading screen ads, but I ran into a minor bug where I could never read this one pocket secretary in Montreal after picking it up, so I decided to go ahead and patch.

NOW IT LOCKS UP ALL THE TIME AND CRASHES ARRGH THIS IS WHY I LEFT PC GAMING HELP SOMEONE ARRGH

So yeah. Is there some discussion on this earlier in the thread? I can't quite look at the moment. I'm a bit distraught.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    So, uh, it appears it wasn't the patch. My PS3 has decided to start overheating, which it has never done before in the hottest days of the summer. It just happened to decide that on the same day I patched this game. So I guess I'll take this to the PS3 thread.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Release date and price announced for Missing Link. October 18th, $15.

I'll wait for a sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    One more thing I don't need to buy!

s7Imn5J.png
This discussion has been closed.