As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISC] Enforcing Pro/Con?

2»

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've been to a lot of conventions, and the PAX enforcers have an almost cult like fanatisicm to their task that you don't see at other events. I think that says something about the quality of the event and how much the enforcers enjoy their volenteering (sp). I don't think enforcing is for me because PAX is an event for me to relax and unwind not one for me to be ramped up and in work mode the whole time. It's kind of an on or off switch for me and that type of event would flip my work switch.

• Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote:
    I've been to a lot of conventions, and the PAX enforcers have an almost cult like fanatisicm to their task that you don't see at other events. I think that says something about the quality of the event and how much the enforcers enjoy their volenteering (sp). I don't think enforcing is for me because PAX is an event for me to relax and unwind not one for me to be ramped up and in work mode the whole time. It's kind of an on or off switch for me and that type of event would flip my work switch.

There's no shame in that.

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    Are there many Enforcers from outside the US? I'm in Scotland, but after going to East and Prime as an attendee this year I'm definitely considering applying to be an Enforcer for East 2012, assuming they recruit again.
    We have a couple of people that come from Europe, quite a few Aussies, and tons of Canadians. Then there are the Enforcers that live in the US now but were born elsewhere, but we're a different kettle of fish... ;-)

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    matguy wrote:
    zepherin wrote:

There's no shame in that.

Yeah that's completely kosher. I'm in the same boat. PAX is my vacation, and I come to escape my high stress job. Doesn't stop people from trying to recruit me though...

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    So what kind of hierarchy is there among the enforcers. Deputy, etc?

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    courtneyj wrote:
    Most departments have your standard shifted Enforcers, who have the most interactions with attendees. There is then the manager of that department, with one or more deputies. Up above we have a few lieutenants, and then PRD (Enforcer mom) and Khoo. Some support/behind the scenes departments are slightly different, but that's the general idea of the organizational structure.

[edit] Beker, one of our info booth gurus, says it much better below.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited September 2011

The hiearchy that exists is more about the amount of pre-convention work related to your role that your willing to take on and less about a peking order. There are plenty of new enforcers (usually with at least one PAX enforcering under their belt) that take on more responsibility as a deputy(similar to a shift lead but varying greatly based on department). And there are also vetran enforcers of many PAX's who are content with minimal pre-convention responsiblities and only help with their shift, some setup and take down.

As much as possible the Enforcer community is a community of equals. Of course some people must be the final decision makers or a point of escalation for various area's, these people are termed Managers. And becuase area's are large, and even managers need breaks they have deputies. These people were asked to fill those positions more on experience in that area and proven ability to be level headed usually. When idea forming time comes we all do our best to have a culture where everyone is equal. And from what I have seen everyone with a "leadership" role (even PA and Reed staff) does their best to be approachable and listen to ideas or concerns brought to them by anyone.

Beyond that there is of course the PA and Reed staff, with some area's reporting directly to these employees and some more autonomous. There are also some lieutenant's with experience and proven level headedness who act as mobile trouble shooters to be in places and work on issues the PA staff can't get to.

Suffice to say a first year enforcer is generally a worker bee, doing simple repetitive tasks that are essential and make up the bulk of stuff that needs doing. There are some recruited into [e] for specific jobs, but you will know that way before PAX what your responsibilites are if that is the case. Not to say some prep work isn't needed even for the worker bee's, you need to know whats expected of you, have a basic knowlege of the convention center and know how to read the map. Know what PAX is (in your heart, not just "a convention for gamers") and where Info Booth is to escalate tough questions.

Anyway, probably way more then you wanted to know. Or maybe not enough.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    dyaballikl wrote:
    Some support/behind the scenes departments are slightly different, but that's the general idea of the organizational structure.

On this note, it's worth saying that several Enforcer teams or departments, generally these 'slightly different' ones, are not open to placement requests and are recruited on an as-needed basis.

I mention this because since I posted that weapons/security FAQ I have had many PMs asking me how someone can be in the Enforcer security team. The short answer is that I'm afraid you can't; as we're primarily a management team these days, we don't always need new members, and if we do they are selected from individuals already known to us.

The same is true for other teams with sensitive roles; the other "can I be in your team" example that springs to mind is VIP Assistance. (No, random slightly scary Felicia Day fanboy, you can't apply to VIP and put your preferred role as "Staring at Felicia's Beauty Like, All Day Long." ;-) )

• Options
    MoonVydeoMoonVydeo Lord Moon Enforcer at Large Istanbul (Not Constantinople)Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Tango wrote:
    The same is true for other teams with sensitive roles; the other "can I be in your team" example that springs to mind is VIP Assistance. (No, random slightly scary Felicia Day fanboy, you can't apply to VIP and put your preferred role as "Staring at Felicia's Beauty Like, All Day Long." ;-) )

I volunteer for that position! I'm very good at staring. :D

MoonVydeo on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Tango wrote:
    I mention this because since I posted that weapons/security FAQ I have had many PMs asking me how someone can be in the Enforcer security team. The short answer is that I'm afraid you can't; as we're primarily a management team these days, we don't always need new members, and if we do they are selected from individuals already known to us.
    That's actually really smart policy. You don't want people who you don't know running security. There is too much liability for PA if that should go wrong. Even though enforcers are volunteers they still represent Penny Arcade and a single bad apple in security can cause a ton of problems. More so than line management and badge checking.

zepherin on
  • Options
    A great deal of thought by PA goes into filling the various management and senior management positions for each PAX. There's nothing special about the security management positions in that respect. :)

• Options
    Tango wrote:
    A great deal of thought by PA goes into filling the various management and senior management positions for each PAX. There's nothing special about the security management positions in that respect. :)
    I assumed so, and I didn't mean to diminish any of the other management positions. I was just saying that the potential for harm is greater with security because of the element of confrontation that is the nature of security work. Line management is really the only thing where if something goes wrong could cause more harm, but most people at PAX are followers of Wheaton's law and that makes security and line management easier.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    Wow, this thread has me amped to (hopefully) sign up to be an enforcer at East 2012 next year. I've successfully attended my fourth consecutive PAX in Seattle back in August. PAX has given me so many awesome memories as an attendee I almost feel like it is my duty to help in anyway I can. Besides, my buddies that go with me to PAX probably not gonna make to it East 2012 - my first PAX by myself most likely. Perfect time to be an enforcer and make new friends and whatnot. Is it March 2012 yet? lol 8-)

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Wow, I haven't been back to this thread in quite some time. Thanks for all the awesome answers everyone, I'll definitely be signing up to be an Enforcer for the next PAX East (I already picked up a badge for this year.)

One last question for anyone who has been an enforcer; I've noticed that the application usually goes up after everythings sold out. Should you buy a badge for the show just in case you don't get chosen as an enforcer? If you get chosen, do they GIVE you a free one? If so, what happens to the one you bought?

• Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Wow, I haven't been back to this thread in quite some time. Thanks for all the awesome answers everyone, I'll definitely be signing up to be an Enforcer for the next PAX East (I already picked up a badge for this year.)

One last question for anyone who has been an enforcer; I've noticed that the application usually goes up after everythings sold out. Should you buy a badge for the show just in case you don't get chosen as an enforcer? If you get chosen, do they GIVE you a free one? If so, what happens to the one you bought?

Buy your badges now to be safe, if you're accepted you can turn in your paid badge for a refund.

Also, the Enforcer app is currently online: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153975/east-want-to-be-an-enforcer-for-east-read-on

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Please use the current enforcer thread and do not ressurect long dead threads.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153975/east-want-to-be-an-enforcer-for-east-read-on

E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.