As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Community Questions [Solved]

Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinningis WinningRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having a little problem with Steam recently.

For some reason, the search function doesn't really seem to work for me. For example, when I search my own profile name, nothing comes up. I've made sure to make the account viewable by all users, but I don't appear. I'm assuming that means nobody else can find me either.

And I'm not really sure how to add friends either (up until now, people have added me, not the other way around). Do I need the profile name, or the name they use in game? Which one appears in searches?

I'm sure I'm just missing some very obvious things. Thanks in advance!

Butler For Life #1 on

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    When you add people on steam you have to use the name they registered not the name the currently have displayed. For instance you would add me by using Bedlamboogieman and my name would appear Bedlam on your list.

You can also add people that youve recently played with. So if you go on a TF2 server or play a L4D game then everyone who was on the server with you should show up in the recently played with list and you can click and add them that way.

As for searching it goes by your display name instead of your registered name. You can also go the community page in your steam window thing and theres a URL to your profile there.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Thank you!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I checked and I added you and your brother already so I can explain a little more.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BFL1809/ is a link to your profile. Im asuming you registered as BFL1809 so that is what you give people to add you on the forums. You can change your display name at any time if you wish but you need your originally registered name to add people.

• Options
    Hm.

I'm still not appearing in the community search, regardless of what name I search by.

• Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Well that profile that he linked is showing up as private. Just under the search on your community page there should be some text that reads Profile Status: Public where the public (or presumably in your case private) is clickable. click on that and you should get to the relevant settings.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    I've got it set to visible to all logged in users. Does it have to be fully public to show up in the search?

• Options
    Ummmm, I don't really know. If I find your profile through mutual friends it show up fine so i guess it does.

7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the help!

I guess I can now mark my first H/A thread as solved.

• Options
    Just as an asside if you keep your profile set to visible to all logged in users you wont be able to use some of the tf2 web tools like tf2items.com and tf2toolbox.com

7KEFduI.jpg