As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tab-L Top Gaems, The Thrud! Meldign likes pixies (Don't tell any1)

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Oh hey look at this new hotness

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

the full SRD for Mutants and Masterminds is now available on the lines for no monies under the OGL

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ooh, that's very cool. Useful for character creation, as players can make characters before a game begins without needing to buy a book. Nice!

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Oh hey look at this new hotness

http://www.d20herosrd.com/

the full SRD for Mutants and Masterminds is now available on the lines for no monies under the OGL

!!!

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    neat, now i can pretend to learn the rules, while never actually doing it.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    man I sure am enjoying this game

was, I mean

• Options
    What is y'alls preferred online map handling software? I've got a Pathfinder game to run tomorrow.

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I liked maptools bunches when I was running 4e. Spent hella time putting macros together and importing premade maps and stuff, though.

These days I use googledocs spreadsheets because laziness.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    if you got the time maptools is probably the best, yeah.

• Options
    I was worried y'all were going to say that. I played around with it a while ago and found it to be totally opaque in terms of how to actually, you know, do anything with it. Is there a good tutorial?

• Options
    I'm told there is, but fuck if i understand a thing they say.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I used these videos and this thread to get a handle on things when I first started.

Depending on how much work you plan on doing, uh, "manually" with a notebook and pencil in front of you, you could get away with only learning about importing images and the vision/lighting. Macros and their interaction with tokens can get hilariously complex if you let it.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    I am going to do everything manually, although it will probably be in a notepad file. Two of our four people have never played online before and two have never played at all so I don't need to be a fucking wizard with this shit.

I just want it to act like a big dry erase mat.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    In that case, I'd just take a look at the video tutorials. Maps, layers, vision/lighting, and tokens.

And do a test-connect with some people to make sure you can host. Having the game delayed by an hour while you try to puzzle out your connection issues is awful.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I already posted this in the 5e discussion over in CF, but I'm linking Legend's website here, because they have a Child's Play donation drive on their front page.

Also because a buddy of mine is playing it and seems to like it, and it looks like a pretty interesting game.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    aaaaaaaaaaaaalmost done my super-powers thingy for nWoD

pretty excited

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    So, quick question to everyone here:

In general, do you ever find those little "fake gameplay session" examples in RPG books helpful? I don't mean, so much, the long-form ones some books throw at the very beginning, but the running "relevant snippet" style of examples.

• Options
    yeah, it helps explain more theoretical rule situations into easy to understand dialog.

Good for beginners. Makes you have to write your rules for a base level of understanding.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote:

In general, do you ever find those little "fake gameplay session" examples in RPG books helpful? I don't mean, so much, the long-form ones some books throw at the very beginning, but the running "relevant snippet" style of examples.

Very much so. It highlights the way that various rules interact and gives me a second chance to catch rules I missed when I was just reading the rules.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote:

For sure.

I am often kinda bad at reading RPG books sometimes and the extra context really helps.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Cool. Thanks!

Similar question about "Under the Hood" sidebars, like those in Mutants and Masterminds. I was always sort of fond of getting a look at the reasoning behind the rules. Do people agree? Disagree? Feel complete apathy?

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Remember: these should not have technical jargon in them. conversation level english only. except for specific terms.

Reasoning is good, it helps with Rules as intended things when things are left open to interpretation.

Melding on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    DE?AD wrote:

Rarely. I tend to skim past them, only going back over them if I find the interpretation tricky or not immediately obvious. I'm sure there's whole passages of rulebooks I own I've never read.

That said, so many rulebooks are so poorly written the rules are sometimes incomprehensible without them.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    @Fishman, if you've got the time, I'd love to have you take a run through of my system's draft. I'd be very curious what you think about it.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote:
    Cool. Thanks!

Similar question about "Under the Hood" sidebars, like those in Mutants and Masterminds. I was always sort of fond of getting a look at the reasoning behind the rules. Do people agree? Disagree? Feel complete apathy?

These I read without fail. It gives me insight and latitude to understand design considerations, especially where I might want to make house rules or try to expand on what already exists, so I can see what has been considered and use that knowledge in my own revisions.

• Options
    DE?AD wrote:
    @Fishman, if you've got the time, I'd love to have you take a run through of my system's draft. I'd be very curious what you think about it.

@DE?AD I'm honoured that you think my opinion is worth anything. I'm a bit frazzled creatively at the moment and time is definitely not in big supply, but if you'd like me to look at it feel free to shoot it over to me and I'll see if I can find some time to give it at least a once over. Be aware, though, my answer might be something like "I really wanted to wrap my head around this but it's just too much for me to do right now".

• Options
    No problem, man, and thanks! I'm still finishing it up right now, but once it's drafted out I'll send it your way. No pressure, though!

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    A friend's 12-year-old daughter is interested in trying D&D if I run it for her and her dad. I'm sort of torn between 4e and Pathfinder as far as what would be the easiest to grasp at 1st level. She's smart but roleplaying in general is a lot to throw at someone all at once. I'm leaning towards 4e just because I've been playing it the most lately and the rules are freshest in my mind.

• Options
    4th is easier to learn and more colourful. everything is colour coded and what not.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Pathfinder is better though

:rotate:

Solar on
  • Options
    I want to walk her through character creation too instead of just going with a pregen. There's something exciting about playing a character that you created as opposed to just a generic fighter/rogue/cleric.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

Nope.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Solar wrote: »

Nope.

Yep.

• Options
    I will turn this car around.

• Options
    Daad Solar keeps touching my leg!

• Options
    I didn't do it! You can't prove anything!

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:
    I want to walk her through character creation too instead of just going with a pregen. There's something exciting about playing a character that you created as opposed to just a generic fighter/rogue/cleric.
    4E, for sure.

Also wharbargle pathfinder hiss etc.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Pathfinder?

Wasn't that a half ass action movie?

• Options
    I find 4e has the greatest accessibility for the most amount of fun. It's a great start point.

It does this through fierce streamlining and enforced game balance, which does lead to restrictive and inside-the-box play, but for what it is, it's great.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:

4e For sure. Pathfinder has too many ways where you can accidentally make a character which isn't actually fun to play.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wanna try pathfinder perhaps.

But I wanna be a dude who attacks really fast and I don't wanna have to make a half dozen of rolls like in 3E. That was boring.

This discussion has been closed.