As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tea - The last great bastion of Britishness

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Looking at the depleted tea supplies, seeing only that Earl Grey remains

Frowning and much gritting of teeth as you boil the kettle and try not to think about it too much

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Yorkshire%20Tea.jpg

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'll have you people know that due entirely to this thread I have rekindled my tea addiction. I may not be British, but I'll gladly say "God save the Queen" while having a cuppa.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Yes I also like Yorkshire Tea quite a lot! Possibly my favourite..?

• Options
    I'm normally a cheapskate and go for Sainsbury's red label, which is really very good for a store branded tea.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Best tea:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

• Options
    Silmaril wrote:
    I'm normally a cheapskate and go for Sainsbury's red label, which is really very good for a store branded tea.

We don't have a Sainsbury's nearby. I wouldn't know

Tesco's own wasn't terrible or anything but I'd sooner pay the extra and be a brand rube

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    wait do all you british people eat tea from bags

I thought loose leaf was where it was at

faits.png
  • Options
    Loose leaf is nice but takes too long when you're at work.

• Options
    faits wrote:
    wait do all you british people eat tea from bags

I thought loose leaf was where it was at

Loose leaf is for if you want to make a fuss over your cup of tea. For people coming over and whatnot.

Its just too much of a faff for everyday use, with the amount of tea we drink.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    i just checked and it is indeed twinnings english breakfast tea in a red box.

so good

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwanie wrote:
    i just checked and it is indeed twinnings english breakfast tea in a red box.

so good

I think many of us have already made our thoughts known on EB but yes it is indeed most palatable

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I'm not "Earl Grey Fan #1" but this Earl Grey was the cat's pajamas. I think I'll have to get some Twinings Assam because I've never had it and I'm too lazy to keep making loose leaf tea at work.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I notice some distaste for Teavana in this thread. I don't have any experience with them, but they have a location nearby. Why shouldn't I shop there, tea experts?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I notice some distaste for Teavana in this thread. I don't have any experience with them, but they have a location nearby. Why shouldn't I shop there, tea experts?
    If their prices were roughly half or less of what they were I'd probably go there semi-regularly.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Walt wrote:
    So I am running low on my incredible loose leaf earl grey that was given to me by a friend who does not have a name attached to it (thus, cannot procure more).

I need some recommendations. The first person who says Teavana will be strangled/shot.

Adagio? This is their highest rated earl grey

Janson on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Redbush tea is great, I love this stuff
    Redbush_40.jpg

Though I generally drink breakfast tea more, helps wake me up.

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    Fellow US residents, I'm looking for a good tea shop to buy from. I'm in central Maryland and the only place real close to where I live is Teavana, which tends to be overpriced. Any recommendations, online or otherwise?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Does P.G. Tips still have that monkey?

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I like Duchies' Darjeeling. And Heath and Heather Night Time tea is good too.

edit: Yes they still have Johnny Vegas.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    so, Chai...

i can't drink it, what's your opinon?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    101 wrote:
    Redbush_40.jpg

I can't imagine how people enjoy this and I grew up with the stuff, could go out and pick it over the fence : b

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Junpei wrote:
    101 wrote:
    Redbush_40.jpg

I can't imagine how people enjoy this and I grew up with the stuff, could go out and pick it over the fence : b

I bought some of this once and it was amazing. I want to try it without vanilla or any other flavors though, just to see what it's like.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    101 wrote:
    Redbush_40.jpg

:winky:

• Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    My hibiscus flowers showed up today. They make a pretty delicious tisane (I wasn't sure because I'd never had just straight up hibiscus flowers by themselves)

I'm thinking of ordering some loose leaf actual tea from the same folks.

faits.png
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Teathread, what tea is best against throat aches? I'm being murdered by my throat and want it to stop.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    I've heard chamomile is good but whether thats just an old-wives-tale I'm not sure.

• Options
    I've been chugging down honey flavoured tea but that's not doing the trick. I'm pretty annoyed that right at the start of my school I get this throat ache. Gonna be losing sleep over this stupid illness.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Wiet, if memory serves you are meant to put whisky in your tea to help with throat aches.

• Options
    You just need to rest it, gargle some salt water every few hours and take some soothing lozengers. Unfortunately it is one those things that take time. I hope you feel better soon.

• Options
    I would have said anything with lemon or honey but my mum apparently recommends camomile too, or Lady Grey

I don't like Lady Grey much but maybe it nukes the hell out of sore throats!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Wiet, if memory serves you are meant to put whisky in your tea to help with throat aches.

Or just make a hot toddy.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:
    You just need to rest it, gargle some salt water every few hours and take some soothing lozengers. Unfortunately it is one those things that take time. I hope you feel better soon.

Oh, salt water is a good trick. You can try a pinch of bicarbonated soda in it if you're feeling very brave

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    hydrogen peroxide. gargle it, kills an infection like a laser

• Options
    Guys what if I just amputate my throat, would that work?

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Wiet wrote:
    Guys what if I just amputate my throat, would that work?

I'm not a doctor, but yes.

Yes it would.

• Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I drink green tea daily on a near ritual basis.

Sure sometimes I just get the kettle going then make a cup to go with some relaxing times, and that feels just fine. Other times I light some incense, turn off the lights, close the blind, light up some candles, make some tea and smoke. Every time I watch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1984_TV_series) I will always have a cup of green tea. With dinner, I have green tea. Cotton mouth? Green tea. No coffee? Green tea.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm thankful I live next to a Vietnamese market that sells five hundred packets of green tea for dirt cheap.

Vampire_Goldfish on
    signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    Vampire_GoldfishVampire_Goldfish Registered User regular
    One of these days I will venture out from my Green Tea safeness and try other teas people seem to enjoy a lot.

One day.

signatureseh.jpg
  • Options
    What I really want to have again is rose petal tea. My grandparents next door have a lot of rose bushes so I'm going to go this year and pick a lot and dry them out and make some, it's going to be awesome.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Mmmm, rose petal tea. Yes please.

Picked up a teapot today. Wasn't going to, but it was shaped like the TARDIS and my sister and I saw it at the same time, then looked at each other. We had an understanding.

My question is: How often (if ever) should I use soap to wash it out? I wouldn't think it would be necessary every time we brew a batch, but my sister insists that it ought to happen occasionally. I don't want to taste suds in my tea.

What's a good washing habit for this thing? http://www.teavana.com/tea-products/teapots-teapot-sets/ceramic-teapots/p/japanese-square-teapot

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg