As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime Suggestions Thread

• MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    Add a +1 for all of the following:

-Paramount Theatre, yay! I sincerely hope it's the main theatre next year as well.

-No Rock Band Freeplay, boo! If there was somewhere a rock band stage could go up again next year it'd probably be the biggest improvement to this year that I could think of.

-Handheld Lounges shrinking - I may be alone in this but I wasn't too put off by it, mostly because when I wanted a beanbag to chill for a few minutes, I could find one. That said I think if it got any smaller (or we lost one of the two lounges) that would draw more complaints.

Also:
    Am I the only person who really missed the line games and the giant computer that talked to everyone in the queue room?

You are not the only person, no. Those guys made the lines of the previous two PAXes a lot better, and I missed their absence this year.

If I can get a bit abstract here it seemed like on the whole PAX got a bit less "informal" this year which had both it's ups and it's downs. Lines were more efficient but there weren't any line games. Some of the freeplay stuff was shrunk or cut completely. Handheld lounges got turned into sort of rest/display hybrids. On the whole more convention stuff and less community stuff. I don't necessarily think it's bad, just different from previous PAXes and closer to other similar conventions.

• xnolanxxnolanx Enforcer, PAX Engineering Registered User regular
    I also had an instance in console freeplay in which I was treated rather rudely by an enforcer.

I was sitting at the big Street Fighter screen watching people play, waiting to get a few matches in myself. The guys who were playing right before me played first-to-three with one guy taking three games in a row before the loser surrendered his seat to me. I then take a seat, hook up my fightstick, set up my controls, and play three matches, losing all three. I start getting ready to leave.

An enforcer then comes from nowhere and tells me that I've been playing for "a really long time", matter-of-factly telling me that "loser gets off" and ordering me to put the matches on best three out of five, and that players switch after one match. He then vanishes from the room instantly, leaving me to wonder if he even really cared, and leaving everyone else with a "what the hell was that guy's deal" look on their faces. I was playing SF4 in console freeplay a lot this weekend, and I saw a lot of people play first-to-three sets. I really feel like I was treated unfairly.

This enforcer obviously didn't understand how casuals are played in fighting games. Both guys usually connect their sticks, rearrange the control scheme for their respective sticks, button check to see if everything is working fine, and then play a set of first-to-three, first-to-ten, or something similar. Nobody ever plays three-out-of-five round matches, it's always two rounds out of three. I play Akuma, so I like to put light kick to the right of hard kick (right where triple punch usually goes) so that I can do the Raging Demon shortcut easier. Almost nobody uses this setup, so if someone wants to use the default setup for their stick, they'll have to rearrange all the controls again every single time I finish a match. Playing big sets of matches means less hassle with people having to constantly get up and get settled, as well as ensuring the people playing at one time get a lot of time to do so. Yeah, it also means people have to watch for a while, but most fighting game enthusiasts like watching matches, and it's considered to be extremely rude to demand someone to get off and give someone else a turn during matches.

What the enforcer said to me made me uncomfortable because I felt like I was being watched constantly/stalked by the enforcers in a way that nobody who wasn't playing a fighting game in console freeplay was subjected to, as well as the fact that the enforcer was simply being flat-out rude. I thought enforcers were supposed enforce the Don't Be A Dick rule, rather than being dicks themselves.

One of the ConsoleFreePlay managers here,
    CFP-specific staff should have been under general instruction to allow the fighter stations to be essentially self managed by the crowd and only intervene if it looked like there was a problem. Since you mention he left the room afterwards it seems like he probably wasn't in my department. I'll see if I can find any information about it. Feel free to PM me with any additional details about the situation and know that we welcome feedback during the show for any such issues. I'm always happy to hear anything that may improve the experience at CFP and PAX.

• makrmakr Registered User regular
    I attended PAX for the first time this year, but I'm no stranger to large conventions, due to professionally running lights and sound for conventions of similar size.

That being said, Live Design International is a large lighting industry event typically held in Las Vegas or Orlando and does many things that are similar in structure to PAX. Exhibit Hall, demos, panels and such.

LDI does a lot of it's product demos in separate rooms from the Exhibition floor, leaving the floor open and easy to navigate. On the floor is examples of the product, which in PAX's case would be gameplay demos, with folks there answering quick questions, and directing people interested in playing with the product to their room with actual demos.

The drawback is that this requires FAR more space then what the Washington State Convention Centre can handle, but it makes the exhibition hall far more friendly to navigate. I think I spent maybe 2-3 hours in there over the ENTIRE weekend, because unless I wanted to stand in line for at least an hour I couldn't play anything. Those demo rooms could also book people into timeslots.

There's two things you can do here. Lower the number of people by about 10k or move PAX. My suggestion would be to move to Vancouver, but that brings a whole bunch of problems, namely all the Americans that would have to get a passport. Seriously, that would be the biggest problem. Exhibitors don't care, they'll go wherever PAX goes.

On a side note, I thought it was absolutely hilarious that 2,800 people watched five guys play D&D for two hours in an 80 year old theatre, thus combining a good chunk of my geekiness. I had a great time, but I played far less than I wanted to.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Booths should incorperate line space in them. Gearbox was the number one offender of this year. Have a four hour line that goes down the side of the expo hall and no line space at your own booth. Same thing happened last year.

All it would take is using 4-6 feet of the huge booth for ropes. Sony did a good job with the Uncharted line, even Bethesda was okay too. But Bioware and Gearbox were a mess.

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    I almost wish the Mike & Jerry Q&A would go away or morph into less Q.

90% of the questions are about the asker, not about actually getting information an entire venue would enjoy.

It's not the time to ask for favors or help or to try and sway them with sad stories but it always goes there.

• AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    Expand BYOC.

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Expand BYOC.
    Expand everything

The lines, the lines; the majority of what I did was wait in lines. Sometimes, I would wait in lines to wait in lines. Panels filled up so quickly that people had to show up hours in advance. I could only make 10% of the panels I planned to go to. Luckly, I randomly ran into less popular panels that were not full and could just walk into the door.

Popular panels need to have bigger spaces. There should be experts that can tell what panels will be popular and plan ahead.

Like others have said, exhibitors should have to hold their lines within their own space. They should be required to adhere to space requirements for their exhibit. If they are popular, they should be allowed to purchase more space or they could just share space like ArenaNet did with Guild Wars 2. There should be someone that oversees this and makes sure that there are no bottlenecks.

Paramount Theater was pretty good. The only problem I had was that I am 6'4" and I could barely fit in any of the built-in seats. Would be nice if some of the set-up chairs were in the back of the first floor for the concerts. Oh, and if they were saved for people over six feet that wanted to sit down. ;)

The PAX tickets need security to prevent forgery even if it costs more. Better to pay for it then being forced to wait in lines most of PAX.

Bring back Rock Band Freeplay and maybe add Dance Central Freeplay. Handheld Lounges need to make a comeback next year.

The queue room needs to be more interactive and entertaining. This year, they played an advertisement with the same 15sec sound clip over and over... My ears almost committed suicide. The advertisement in the bathrooms were terrible and in the way. Maybe if they were at 30% transparency but they were at 100% and were blocking 45% of the mirrors.

If Destructoid is as bad as people are saying in this thread, they should be banned. Even though I am a fan, there is no room in PAX for dickory, Oh yea, and the banning of booth babes should be enforced.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    EvilBadman wrote:
    I enjoy the cookie brigade immensely and always picked up some delicious cookies. That said, you are being absolutely ridiculous about this. The cookie brigade is for charity, the GOG booth is not a competitor. They were not drinking the Cookie Brigade's milkshake.

Actually, I think they kinda were. Granted, a lot of conventioners got cookies from both & donated nicely. But you'd be shocked at how many conventioners don't know what the CB is, what Child's Play is, or why they should have paid for a cookie when there were free ones on the convention floor.

For the record, you're not obligated to donate for a cookie from the brigade, and if you want an awesome themed cookie just ask. We did tons of special deliveries.

Unfortunately, with only about a dozen distributors this year, we couldn't spread out as well as we'd have liked so I'm sorry if you didn't see a brigadier all weekend. Look for the big gold patches next time, or better yet, join our ranks! Cookie distribution is a blast - like Enforcement LT.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ReparadocsReparadocs Registered User regular
    For the record, you're not obligated to donate for a cookie from the brigade, and if you want an awesome themed cookie just ask. We did tons of special deliveries.

NOOOO! I didnt realize I could ask for the themed cookies... :(
    I will definitely do that next year.

• MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Unfortunately, with only about a dozen distributors this year, we couldn't spread out as well as we'd have liked so I'm sorry if you didn't see a brigadier all weekend. Look for the big gold patches next time, or better yet, join our ranks! Cookie distribution is a blast - like Enforcement LT.

Really? Because last year I didn't see a single one of you ever, and this year it was like I couldn't turn around without bumping into one of you. Good job, guys.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    Buraisu wrote:
    Expand BYOC.

Paramount Theater was pretty good. The only problem I had was that I am 6'4" and I could barely fit in any of the built-in seats. Would be nice if some of the set-up chairs were in the back of the first floor for the concerts. Oh, and if they were saved for people over six feet that wanted to sit down. ;)

Yeah, I noticed this too. I'm planning on sticking to the streaming in the future though. It missed some of the interaction, but by the end of P&S it felt like we were all right there anyway.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Eticket109 wrote:
    Buraisu wrote:
    Expand BYOC.

Yeah, I noticed this too. I'm planning on sticking to the streaming in the future though. It missed some of the interaction, but by the end of P&S it felt like we were all right there anyway.

I'm slightly under six feet and it was painful for me to be in the upper seats. I'm still in pain actually, totally screwed up my low back. Some of us are just not meant to be wedged into tiny seats with no legroom!

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    EvilBadman wrote:
    I enjoy the cookie brigade immensely and always picked up some delicious cookies. That said, you are being absolutely ridiculous about this. The cookie brigade is for charity, the GOG booth is not a competitor. They were not drinking the Cookie Brigade's milkshake.

Actually, I think they kinda were. Granted, a lot of conventioners got cookies from both & donated nicely. But you'd be shocked at how many conventioners don't know what the CB is, what Child's Play is, or why they should have paid for a cookie when there were free ones on the convention floor.

The Cookie Brigade brought in more money this year than ever before. I have to say, even with the GOG cookies, the CB had no problem being bigger and better than ever.

Additionally, even with only a dozen distributors, the Cookie Brigade did better than ever. This is seriously not an issue.

E6LkoFK.png

• XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    NomadRaven wrote:
    Oddly, I too had trouble with two of the enforcers in the PC Freeplay being gruff and/or rude. One of them told me my time was up, and then she proceeded to watch me, literally staring, until I left. I told her I understood, but she just stared. It took about 30 seconds for me to leave (shut down the game, grab my stuff, and run!), because it was really creeping me out. I wasn't being rude or anything that would have warranted it, and I felt really uncomfortable going back to PC Freeplay again after that. The other one was just really gruff and unfriendly, "time's up!" in a cranky voice. I seem to recall getting a couple minutes' warning at previous PAXes, which allows you to wrap up your game. But mostly it was a tone of voice thing, and both of them left me feeling like I was a bother just for existing, which was weird. Not really a big deal, but it felt very out of place for PAX. The rest of the enforcers in that area and the rest of the con were fantastic and a joy to be around, as always.
    Sorry if you felt the Enforcers were being rude. Typically they are just trying to get new players at the computers as soon as possible to keep the PC Freeplay line going as fast as possible. Sometimes its difficulty to get players on the PC to hear that their time is up and if you are being slow to get off your computer then your taking up the next players time. Its really about efficiency and maximizing the time players have as much as possible. In the end they are just trying to make everyone have a great time. The enforcers telling your time is up have a hard job of running through the 300+ computers as fast as possible, so if they were gruff, they didn't mean any offense- they just wanted your computer :).

• SwiftThiefLurraSwiftThiefLurra Registered User regular
    This was my first PAX, so I can't say too much regarding changes from previous PAXs'.
    I will say however:

1. Paramount was amazing. Keep it. <3

2. Find a way to better catch forged badges. After hearing how many people had counterfeits, unnerves me to no end.

3. Enforcers were awesome. They kept everything moving smoothly. Most were very nice but were able to put their foot down when they needed too. Plus the fact they kept us entertained when waiting in lines. Only thing, don't constantly tell us to squeeze in tighter when we're in lines waiting. If there is a gap, I understand telling people to move then. But making everyone squeeze in was very uncomfortable when we couldn't.

4. If at all possible, maybe extending the hours for the exhibition hall? I had a friend come in late on Friday right when it closed. He was working that day and couldn't come in earlier. I was bummed (him too) that he couldn't see the awesomeness that was the exhibition hall (he couldn't make it any other day). Or, maybe extend PAX to 4 days?

5. The lines in the exhibition hall were crazy. I desperately wanted to play some Mass Effect 3, but the wait time never got less than 4 hours. At one point an Enforcer held up a sign saying "6 hours wait." Obviously I never got around to play it. I know there aren't many ways to improve this, but maybe something like passing out tickets and coming back when your number on the ticket is called? I don't know.

6. I enjoyed Halo Fest, but it was about a 15 minute walkthrough. I didn't play the games because... well, I can do that at home.

Overall, it was an amazing experience. I definitely will be coming back for more. I just hope the problem with forged badges will be fixed. I can over look most everything else, except that.

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    XR wrote:
    Sorry if you felt the Enforcers were being rude. Typically they are just trying to get new players at the computers as soon as possible to keep the PC Freeplay line going as fast as possible. Sometimes its difficulty to get players on the PC to hear that their time is up and if you are being slow to get off your computer then your taking up the next players time. Its really about efficiency and maximizing the time players have as much as possible. In the end they are just trying to make everyone have a great time. The enforcers telling your time is up have a hard job of running through the 300+ computers as fast as possible, so if they were gruff, they didn't mean any offense- they just wanted your computer :).

My group had a similar situation, unfortunately. After waiting 20+ minutes to get a computer we finally had a place to sit only to have an Enforcer show up less than 3 minutes later and tell us we have to get off. She said something about knowing we hadn't played for long but we had to go and should get back in line to talk to another enforcer about it. UHHH WHAT?! We told her we'd just gotten there and she said whatever and walked off. It was the oddest experience I'd had yet up there. Seems there was a serious lack of communication going on!

GeekyPrincess on
    Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • DaveRHDaveRH Registered User regular
    PAX is amazing, here are some ideas I think could make it better, but it's still great without them!

On forgery, here are some ideas we've brainstormed:

1. Add the cheaper RFID tags that need to be tap scanned - This will slow things down a bit, but not much, and it has the added benefit of people reviewing the badges close up, rather than from 5 feet away.
    2. Bring the hologram to make it more difficult to duplicate - This can tie in to the above to make it easier to spot fakes
    3. UV Ink, another check that can be done on entrance.

On Scalping:

1. Limit purchases online to 10 per credit card number. Make people who want to buy more call in, then you can screen people trying to buy 500 passes like the scalpers that were mentioned in other threads.

On Enforcers:

97 - 99% of the time Enforcers are amazing, and the bomb. It'd be nice if there was a badge ID # system to make it easy to make a complaint for the rare cases that are not. Might be helpful to identify if there are any specific bad apples in an otherwise great group.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    DaveRH wrote:
    97 - 99% of the time Enforcers are amazing, and the bomb. It'd be nice if there was a badge ID # system to make it easy to make a complaint for the rare cases that are not. Might be helpful to identify if there are any specific bad apples in an otherwise great group.

Our handles are on our badges.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    DaveRH wrote:
    Our handles are all printed on our badges, though they are hard to see. Perhaps if they were in larger font? I very much agree that we should be accountable for our actions.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • XRXR [E] LULK ILRegistered User regular
    XR wrote:

My group had a similar situation, unfortunately. After waiting 20+ minutes to get a computer we finally had a place to sit only to have an Enforcer show up less than 3 minutes later and tell us we have to get off. She said something about knowing we hadn't played for long but we had to go and should get back in line to talk to another enforcer about it. UHHH WHAT?! We told her we'd just gotten there and she said whatever and walked off. It was the oddest experience I'd had yet up there. Seems there was a serious lack of communication going on!

Please see my previous post below that may address your situation. Did you come in late on Sat? It was difficult to give everyone equal time when some computers were being updated.
    skylatron wrote:
    Aside from those things, the only personal complaint I really have is one Enforcer. I have never ever had an issue with an Enforcer until Saturday. We went into the PC Freeplay area for the first time, and were promptly led to our computers (yay). There were TONS of free spaces and we ended up around some people who had quite obviously been there longer than us. 30 minutes into gaming, we got a tap on our table and rudely told "Time up". Then the Enforcer walked off. No one else had to leave. We weren't being loud or doing anything douchey, so I'm not sure what the deal was. :(
    XR wrote:
    Unfortunately you were just unlucky and the tracking system was saying that your time was up. If it was Saturday night, computer rows were not being used in order to get them ready for the Starcraft 2 tournament the next day. All you had to do is jump back in line and you could have been resat at a computer again.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    I would like to suggest that exhibitors stop using closed in booths. I don't need to play ME3 (I know I'm buying it), but I sure would enjoy seeing other people play on occasion. The exhibitors that had big monitors showing off people playing the demos (instead of just trailers looping) for their products were great. I could stand to the side, out of the way of traffic, and get an idea about the games being played. Hi-rez was a great example of allowing people not playing to both see individual stations and see larger monitors over the crowd of actual game play in action.

• NomadRavenNomadRaven Registered User regular
    XR wrote:

On the one hand, that's completely understandable. On the other hand, I've never felt I was treated badly at all at PC Freeplay in years past, so I think it was just these couple of people and how they chose to handle it. All of the other people in the lab were friendly and great. One of the two "gruff ones" was complaining that they were understaffed, so perhaps that was an issue. Ideally, there would be enough staff that you could give people a five-minute warning, then come back in five minutes and remind them. However, I don't think that 30 seconds to shut down my game, close steam, and grab my two bags and cell phone counts as terribly slow. I know I'm not as spry as I used to be, but I do the best I can... :)

The only reason I chose to say anything at all was because I love Pax and really enjoyed PC Freeplay in years past. If there was an understaffing issue, that might be easy to fix for next year.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Imsorad wrote:
    Booths should incorperate line space in them. Gearbox was the number one offender of this year. Have a four hour line that goes down the side of the expo hall and no line space at your own booth. Same thing happened last year.

All it would take is using 4-6 feet of the huge booth for ropes. Sony did a good job with the Uncharted line, even Bethesda was okay too. But Bioware and Gearbox were a mess.

I think this is a good idea. If you wanna make stuff closed off and limited so as to appear more exclusive, then pay for it. Or make it more open/efficient so more people get to get in and try stuff out. Win-win for the attendees at least.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    How is the pc freeplay time tracked? Are there timers at the stations?

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    PAX was fantastic this year, thanks for making my 5th PAX a blast! I do have a couple of suggestions, though.

1) It felt like BYOC/PC Freeplay were cramped compared to last year. I'm not sure if this is because of the Notch/Mojang Expo Hall expansion on floor 6 or not.

2) The Internet situation in BYOC really needs to be different next year. I'm not sure why torrent traffic wasn't being blocked. Is it encrypted? Block all SSL traffic then. BYOCers can do their e-banking on a cell phone or at a convenient downtown ATM location. The connection was so bad some of the members of my group couldn't log into Steam for several hours on Friday.

3) I was sad to see that the http://PAX intranet didn't have DigiPen game downloads this year. Some of the ones last year were actually really fun to play. I'd work on getting some of those types of games back on the intranet and maybe some indie games from the 6th floor expo hall to put on there as well. It could be cool for indie developers to go through BYOC to see what people are doing with their game on a diverse range of hardware.

4) BYOC line-up seemed really chaotic. I'm not sure why we needed to move all 6,450 lbs of equipment we had like 4 times. I was told there would be a separate line for groups. We had a 48" monitor, many full-size towers, regular monitors, a lot of luggage containing cables, etc... It was really irritating to be shunted back and forth on Friday morning.

5) Don't let the NOS booth babes into BYOC if they're going to be slapping bracelets on people's wrists like that. I got so pissed after the 8th bracelet that I started slapping them back on the blonde NOS chick. She wasn't thrilled with that turn of events. Gee, you were just doing that same thing to dozens of BYOCers...

6) I don't play Rock Band but I really did miss the stage. I used to have a blast watching the amateur performances from the 6th floor balcony. Bring the stage back please!

7) The lines this year were ungodly. Last year the Duke line was the only one I skipped due to the several hour wait. Even Portal 2 was bearable last year. This year nearly EVERY major booth was a several hour wait. Thank god for the EVGA, GOG and OnLive booths. I'm not sure what can be done to combat this, but the only game I was REALLY exposed to this year was the dinosaur game for PC and iOS at the EVGA booth. It feels like the developers and publishers are being hurt by this. I don't know what Firefall is because the line was fugnormous. Same for Rage, Skyrim, etc...

8) The Firefall advertising was REALLY excessive. You literally couldn't go anywhere and not see Firefall plastered on every available surface. I'm surprised the elevator buttons didn't have little tiny Firefall stickers on them. This makes me really not want to have anything to do with the game. All they've done is made me conscious of what to avoid.

9) This is absolutely not something PAX, WSCTC or anyone else can do anything about. This is only something my fellow PAX goers can fix: PLEASE AVOID PEEING ALL OVER THE BATHROOMS. The men's AND women's bathrooms outside BYOC were absolutely atrocious. I had to spend 5 minutes mopping up other people's urine from the stall walls, door, toilet paper dispenser, ass gasket dispenser, toilet seat, toilet bowl, handicap rails, door lock, etc... before I was able to comfortably drop the minions off at the porcelain temple. Why is it so hard to aim your pee into the toilet? Unzip, point, shoot. A good majority of us spend hours upon hours playing first person shooters. If you suck this much at aiming at a toilet I can't imagine how fail you are at CS:S.

AtomicGaryBusey on
    fss_overall.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    courtneyj wrote:
    How is the pc freeplay time tracked? Are there timers at the stations?

We developed a check-in/check-out program for the PC room. When you come in and are assigned a computer/computers, we check out those stations, and the timer begins. When timer expires, the program lets us know, and someone will get sent off to notify you of this. When the kicker has confirmed it, the stations are checked back in.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wouldn't Steam and such also use SSL? I'd imagine you aren't sending your password for login in the clear.

And man, were some of the bathrooms squalid. That may fall more under the WSCTC than PAX, but id be more than happy to pay an extra buck or two if it meant we could get another shift or two of janitorial service. I had some urgent business on Sunday morning, and I was NOT mentally prepared for the conditions I faced on the second floor. Half the toilets were clogged, the whole place was just...moist...and even only open stalls had no paper (explaining the clogs?).

Some of that is on us...I agree, silly geese need to learn to use the bathroom like grown-ups. But the center was closed for four hours...why was this not fixed at that time? I've worked overnights before. It might cost more to get that service, but id gladly pay $5 for bathrooms that don't make combat zones and truck stops look downright classy.

mcdermott on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Well, PAX is come and gone, and it was fun as always. I do definitely have some nits to pick though, and a few thoughts on other people's complaints as well.

- By far #1, it felt like PAX is moving away from being about having a community gathering, where everyone can just hang out together and BS about our favorite hobbies. Console freeplay was reduced to give way for more people selling more stuff. Handheld lounge, which was previously a quiet oasis in the middle of the insanity that is PAX, was crammed under the escalator on the second floor, and the space it used to have was given to Nintendo to hock their handheld games. Everyone was cheek to cheek in there, and especially on Friday and Saturday, there were lots of people who couldn't get into the lounge, so they had to sit on the carpet in the corners. This sorta ruined the whole point of the space, which was to give people a chance to sit down, play a little DS, and decompress.
    - Too many major companies in the expo hall were just buying up all the space they could simply to take up space. Mass Effect 3 was a MASSIVE offender. When you get through their line, you enter in the first walled off area, watch literally a 2 minute video about the races in ME, and then you have to leave and enter their next walled off booth, where's EDI tells you your mission in the demo (for about a minute). then you leave THAT booth and enter the actual demo area (which is the same demo you've probably seen on youtube, if you've followed ME3 much). I played the demo for about 10 minutes, hadn't even finished it, and was told that it was time for me to go so that more attendees could get in. (And they moved people through just by group, so the other two booths are totally empty while we're playing the demo) So they funnel us through an exit area, which is filled with small laptops for us to log onto facebook and tell everyone how fantastic ME3 is, and IF we promote their product, then we get some swag. Bioware could've had the EXACT same presentation in half the space, or they could've had twice the demos and cut their wait times in half. You can just look at the expo hall map and see how many booths some of the big boys were taking over, and usually only for 1 product. And often they were walled off, which was especially obnoxious when they didn't even have playable demos. It felt like companies were simply buying up room so that nobody else could take it, and it left the expo hall feeling oddly bereft of content to someone just casually walking through.
    - Similarly, I'd prefer for panel space to be used for actual panels, not for advertisements. Yeah, I can understand Star Wars getting the main theater for their presentation and big deals like that, but honestly I prefer PAX to be the type of con where there's little point in the media attending at all. PAX should be a convention about gamers, not about game companies.

- I wasn't super annoyed about Firefall advertising everywhere, but I would tell the company to fire whoever their marketing manager is, because I still have absolutely no idea what their game is about. All I know is that it has half-naked women in powered armor on the escalators, and mechs designed to stop anyone from using the mirrors in the bathrooms.
    is it just me or does PAX, each year, veer more towards the "I am a nerd who loves games and wants to work in the gaming industry" theme for panels? Only my third year, but it seems each year we get less panels aimed at fans and more aimed at people who want to work in games (to include games journalism).

It did seem like there was roughly a million panels this year 'So you want to be a game tester', 'so you want to be a game journalist', 'pitch your game idea', 'so you want to program a game', etc etc. I guess they're popular, since PAX keeps having more of them, but it is starting to get a little silly.

AFAIK, Destructoid won't be allowed back again.

Where can we sign up to volunteer for cookie brigade? I'm a pastry chef, and would be happy to help out with baking or selling...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • randayranday Registered User new member
    queue line on friday morning was terrible. we were near the tail end of the line, standing outside on the street, when people started being let in the staff decided to split the line and let the tail end in from behind. the middle of the line then became the end of the line. since we were let in through another entrance and not the entrance in the queue room, we did not get our swag bags. when we finally made our to the queue room to pick up our swag bags, they had run out.

pax XP was exciting and fresh, but in the end my group honestly feel we shouldnt have done it. it took up a large portion of our time and the reward was less than expected. a couple of clues were flat out wrong. clues in the expo hall meant we were unable to complete the hunt during off peak hours, which would have been ideal.

acquisitions inc was totally amazing! i loved last years, and now after seeing this years, i believe this will become the single greatest reason for me to go to PAX.

NOS girls slapping wrist bands on people who didnt consent. i was nearby when a nos girl asked permission, was denied, then proceeded to say "im going to slap it on you anyway" and did so.

enforcers seem to have a heavy burden on their shoulders. we need to make it easier on them.

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Wouldn't Steam and such also use SSL? I'd imagine you aren't sending your password for login in the clear.

And man, were some of the bathrooms squalid. That may fall more under the WSCTC than PAX, but id be more than happy to pay an extra buck or two if it meant we could get another shift or two of janitorial service. I had some urgent business on Sunday morning, and I was NOT mentally prepared for the conditions I faced on the second floor. Half the toilets were clogged, the whole place was just...moist...and even only open stalls had no paper (explaining the clogs?).

Some of that is on us...I agree, silly geese need to learn to use the bathroom like grown-ups. But the center was closed for four hours...why was this not fixed at that time? I've worked overnights before. It might cost more to get that service, but id gladly pay $5 for bathrooms that don't make combat zones and truck stops look downright classy.

Good call on Steam logins. I suppose SSL can't be blocked entirely. I think the suggestion from the BYOC thread of MAC-banning for repeat torrent offenders would be best then. I'm glad to see someone else was as appalled by the state of the toilets as I was.

fss_overall.png
    Except for on the mirrors on the bathroom, I didnt find the firefall advertising that annoying. And I really enjoyed the game :D

And as randay said there was something horribly wrong about the queue line. I got there at 8:30 on Friday, and my friend arrived at 9:30. He was one of the first ones to get into the expo hall, whereas I was in a column that WAS LAST TO GET IN :(

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Kana wrote:
    Where can we sign up to volunteer for cookie brigade? I'm a pastry chef, and would be happy to help out with baking or selling...

Watch for the cookie brigade thread. It will give you info in how to get involved with their fine organization.

E6LkoFK.png

Yeah, Friday queue line was fucked.

Also, ill say it again, Firefall really wasn't a bad game.

• murdocmurdoc Registered User regular
    Hey, if the Firefall oversaturation contributing to me only needing to pay $60 for a 3-day pass I'm all for it. Some people will buy the game because of all the advertising, and some of us won't because of the same reason. The closed booths bothered me since I mainly wanted to see the games in motion, not actually play them - but that's their loss. The Mass Effect 3 line up made me laugh since I saw a sign saying it was 4 hours long, yet right beside it in the Xbox booth was a playable ME3 with no one sitting at it...

The only game line I stood in was Star Wars on Sunday and it went by in 1.5 hrs. There was absolutely no reason why you had to wait longer since the Enforcers did a great job cutting off the line (Sunday anyways).

I would love a system where you could pre-register for a panel - maybe limit it to 3 panels and each time you pre-register you get your pass punched or something. That way I could sign up for a panel and actually have a chance to look at other interesting panels instead of waiting in a line for 2 hrs. Saturday we only were able to do 'Make a Strip' and 'Acquisitions Inc' since when you combined the panel and the wait, it took up most of the day.

I don't think there's much else you can do to make the Exhibition hall better - a lot of the "suggestions" I have read are actually developer decisions with what to do with their own space, nothing that PAX organizers can enforce.

...it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
    Arguably, PAX could assert control over certain practices at booths...it's their event.

• hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Kana wrote:
    Kana, go to the Cookie Brigade Website (http://www.cookie-brigade.com/) and signup. We do things for PAX Prime and East and other Child's Play actives. There will also be forum back up around East and Prime. We appreciate all help!

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Arguably, PAX could assert control over certain practices at booths...it's their event.

Like how they prohibit booth babes, except replace "half-naked models" with "giant obstructing walls".

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I think I would really like to see a blanket "no obscuring walls" rule for all booths in the main Expo hall. If they want to have it in another location (say, where Halo Fest was this year), then by all means do something covert.

Case and point - people were waiting in a line for the "Skywatch" booth (2K's XCOM booth I believe), and while it was neat...people didn't realize that there was basically nothing to the booth but having them take your blurry picture and put it on a card. That card got you access to a QR flyer, but I'm not sure what it scanned in as. My friends stood in line for an hour there. They were sorely disappointed.

But it would have been really nice to watch people play games, or at least know what you were getting yourself into. I did not like the mystery booths.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    Just a thought since a fair amount of us are expressing dislike for "box booths" and all the exhibitors were begging for us to "like" them on facebook, why don't we let them know on facebook that as a fan/attendee we dislike their box booths. The marketing people need to know that we don't think it feels exclusive or special to have to wait in line for several hours to see a short clip or demo of their game that will inevitably be on You Tube/Live/PSN/Steam etc. In addition to excluding folks that would prefer to just watch others play through the demo (Especially us inverted folks that get no love in demo controls settings. :( Spiderman lookin right at ya.) I'm suggesting this in addition to hoping it can be made a policy as McDermott and Dehumanized suggested above, especially if it's the case that it's something that can't be limited by PA. If the exhibitors realize attendees would like to just *see* the game maybe they'd be more likely to make effort. As it is, they're probably just recycling booths/props/equipment from other flashier press-centric cons that occur during the summer months.

I know there's mixed feelings about the size of Firefall, but at least you could walk up and stand behind the computer terminals and watch people playing (though I could never figure out where to queue up). Bethesda seemed to do a similar setup with multiple terminals for each game and a roped line in their own floor space. It may have exceeded the booth but I cruised through there during the last hour Friday so the Skyrim line was maybe 10 people long as the expo was about to close. Either way I could walk up behind the ropes and watch people play.