As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Friday Sept. 2, 2011

13»

• Options
    Milamber_29Milamber_29 Registered User regular
    Not every game nowadays has to be completely numb and easy to satisfy the guys who can't be bothered with a challenge. If you remember deus ex one was just as frustratingly hard except not being seen was way harder cause you couldn't use cover to see around corners the weapons were less effective and the graphics made long range aiming give you a migraine, yeah its hard and takes thought, and Patience, harden up cupcake that's what makes it stand out from the mainstream atm

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I thought this game was pretty hard. But hard in a good way where I actually felt myself get better as I progressed, not just memorizing twitch actions as I died repeatedly.

• Options
    ogara0c9ogara0c9 Registered User new member
    edited September 2011
    You guys laugh, but in the original, you could actually kill the bosses partly by reading their emails (except for Simons).

ogara0c9 on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Not every game nowadays has to be completely numb and easy to satisfy the guys who can't be bothered with a challenge. If you remember deus ex one was just as frustratingly hard except not being seen was way harder cause you couldn't use cover to see around corners the weapons were less effective and the graphics made long range aiming give you a migraine, yeah its hard and takes thought, and Patience, harden up cupcake that's what makes it stand out from the mainstream atm

who are you people

• Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    You can feel free to post here again when you aren't at such a remedial level of gaming, Pandabearcakes

Or I can keep posting now. That works.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    SARCASM

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Your message is what you communicate, not what you intend.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah I know. I wasn't trying to be rude, either. It got typed up in all caps accidentally because my dog was literally eating my DS games.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Eye Flys wrote:
    Did you losers not notice the explosive canisters in the room?

I did, he killed me every time I picked one up.
    one clip from my combat rifle. Done.

I had a handgun, Barret laughed at me when I shot it.
    Eye Flys wrote:
    It's not my fault you suck.

Alright. Up until that point in the game I did nothing but hack computers and take down enemies without using guns. Thus, the game taught me guns were useless and I didn't bother carrying any.

Suddenly I'm locked in a room with a guy who kills me very very quickly if I'm out in the open. Stealth doesn't work against him, and my pistol doesn't seem to do much. I saw the canisters and went for them, but more often than not they blew up in my face.

It took me a few tries to re-learn the game. Yes. I don't suck because of it.

Go away.

Just for future reference on later playthroughs on that fight, there are many guns scattered about the room with him, and every type of grenade stuns him long enough to throw a barrel, as does the tazer.

The first boss is the worst, the third boss I really liked, he's harder or easier depending on how much you paid attention to the narrative and the "cheesy" ways to kill him, I call those awesome. I mean, my jenson cloaked around carrying a turret everywhere that mission, turns out that's a pretty sound plan vs the boss! Also more EMP grenades in the level leading up to him than you can carry, figured they'd come in handy.

It would have been fantastic if the third boss could have been avoided by
    not getting the chip upgrade
    by having Jensen just win in a cutscene, or in a similar manner to the fourth boss. Biggest problem for me even more than the below par execution of the bosses is their lack of narrative consequence. Who the hell are these people?

override367 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The narrative would be fucking easy to hold together as long as you had the ability to kill them using stealth and other shit, not just brute force. The boss cutscenes where Jensen acts like a retard aren't important to the narrative.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    Also, this is the second-best image on the internet.

jensendeal.gif

Second-best? That seems like a pretty strong case for being the best best.

Because

5nurud.jpg

I was really intrigued by Echo's statement about another team doing the boss fights entirely, and I found this:

http://www.elecplay.com/watch/21/191/3/14

What a shame.

• Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    every type of grenade stuns him long enough to throw a barrel

That's good to know!
    as does the tazer.

I wish I had it on me :(
    The first boss is the worst

Yeah, it felt like bullshit.
    The third boss I really liked, he's harder or easier depending on how much you paid attention to the narrative and the "cheesy" ways to kill him, I call those awesome. I mean, my jenson cloaked around carrying a turret everywhere that mission, turns out that's a pretty sound plan vs the boss! Also more EMP grenades in the level leading up to him than you can carry, figured they'd come in handy.
    It's weird, I knew I was going to screw myself over but the quest log told me to get the damn chip upgrade so I did it anyway. Considering how easy the chick was once I learned to carry around a stun gun, and how I saved every typhoon ammo in the game for the third boss (only to end up not being able to use it) I think if I hadn't gotten that implant, the fight would've been a cakewalk.
    Biggest problem for me even more than the below par execution of the bosses is their lack of narrative consequence. Who the hell are these people?

I know, right?
    Yeah I know. I wasn't trying to be rude, either.

Alright, no hard feelings.

• Options
    vradnavradna Registered User new member
    edited September 2011
    "Alternatively we could engage one another in productive dialog vis a vis the the whereabouts of the woman you abducted previously."

I thought it cool because I have just finished this boss fight, so I am up to the same section as PA! But:
    I hope to the high heavens that the woman in that comp-sci-gabe-jensen is referring to is not Megan Reed. I thought she was dead! No wait! Don't answer that! GOD! dammit....

As for the first bossfight itself:
    1. Playing on "Give me a Challenge"
    2. Entered this fight with mostly hacking augs, inventory upgrades to arms and the wall punching ability.
    3. Still had 4 praxis points unspent, so that is no stealth, no combat upgrades, aim upgrades, armor upgrades, etc.

Result: Died the first two times. The third: Used an EMP grenade to get out of LOS. Dodged his subsequent grenades. Stayed at mid range at cover. Ducked back behind every time he shot at me, waiting for his gun to overheat. About a dozen headshots with a revolver and roll victory cutscene. Done and dusted.

vradna on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    faits wrote:
    is this the thread where we brag about how good we are at deus ex

I got mad Zelda skillz yo

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I died twice in this boss until I realized that all I had to do was chuck all my explosives at him.

I had no idea why I carried that many explosives, but I did and they minced him so fast it wasn't even a battle. I thought it was immensely stupid and immersion breaking: If the game has a major flaw, it's the stupid and unnecessary boss fights in it. In the original game there were a few as well, but there were ways around them if you had been playing the kind of sneaky hacking character who runs into a brick wall here. None the less I carry tons of EMP grenades and explosives solely for bosses. Makes life quite easy.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    faits wrote:
    is this the thread where we brag about how good we are at deus ex

I got mad Zelda skillz yo

it only took me five tries to beat aquamentus beat that

faits.png