As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Open Beta Starts Now!

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Download Origin, go into the free games tab and download the beta!

Then, to play with your fellow PENNY ARCADERS, apply to these platoons (via the game browser interface);

PC US Platoon = 101st Arcadians

PC EU Platoon = Penny Arcade EU

360 Platoon = 82nd Arcadians

battlefield3.jpg

Battlefield 3 is a first-person shooter video game, being developed by the Swedish company Digital Illusions CE and to be published by Electronic Arts. It is to be released on November 2, 2011 for Mirosoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Contrary to its name, it is the twelfth installment in the Battlefield franchise, and the real sequel to Battlefield 2, released in 2005.

What separates it from the numerous other "realistic" shooters out there? Well, first and perhaps most importantly: You get to use a lot of ARMOR! Tanks, APC's, Humvees, jets and helicopters are all at your disposal as well as the full range of infantry combat. This game also boasts destructible environments and enormous 64 player multiplayer maps (24 on consoles). The scope of gameplay is huge here and if it lives up to Battlefield: 1942 and Battlefield 2, it will deliver a ton of fun and the best multiplayer shootin' experience around.

The feedback has been very positive from our own Alpha testers in this thread. (*)

http://www.ea.com/battlefield3

PICTURES!

ke9j0n.jpg2rg1gt1.jpg23rx0fc.jpgohlpol.jpgawdu1u.jpgt87vaf.jpg2870ifn.jpg2z8rbwx.jpg
a0ofTl.jpg 1zfOkl.jpgYNCe1l.jpg 9FwDql.jpg
Jm2Shl.jpgicAUAl.jpg
A8aX8l.jpgEXo2wl.jpg
QIWJvl.jpg

Gameplay Trailers!

(There are also a bunch of leaked alpha trailers on the internets, if you care to search for such things)

It looks really great. It took 6 years but we finally have a proper sequel to Battlefield 2 and it happens to look amazing. The graphics and animation are all a step above any competition and the shooty bits look fun as hell. Can't wait!

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    I'd be pretty happy if they got rid of any gadget/perk that increases the damage of your bullets. Magnum ammo/stopping power just end up becoming the go-to perk. It's be interesting to have a go without that kind thing heavily influencing your loadout

They have! As far as I am aware, they have said that there is no perk to increase your damage, there is only a "flak jacket" perk to reduce incoming damage. And even with that I am not sure if it's bullet or explosion damage.

Edit: Here we go
    And this one says it crystal clear:

So there you have it!

Edit: Posting this in the new thread so people can see it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    o klyka

hyka

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    when you came and you gave BF3 without taking?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    can't fucking wait to play this again. the alpha was possibly the most fun I've ever had in an online shooter.

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    I have my copy of Medal of Honor expensive beta key ready to go.

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the buildings collapse randomly now? In BF:BC2 I realized that the buildings always feel into the same rubble.

Just watched the trailers again....jesus I can't wait.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Nice one, cheers for that klyka.

I was also wondering how you blokes felt about the recharging armour thing. It'll be interesting to see how it works in game, but my first thoughts are a bit negative

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote:
    Nice one, cheers for that klyka.

I was also wondering how you blokes felt about the recharging armour thing. It'll be interesting to see how it works in game, but my first thoughts are a bit negative

The regenerating armor only works for a small amount of your actual health.
    It also takes ages to kick in and ONLY if you are not under fire. Once your health is down by a certain amount your vehicle becomes "disabled", loses the health regen and actually LOSES HEALTH if it s not repaired.

It works perfectly fine, I know why they did it and in the Alpha I didn't see any reason to complain about it.
    Let me give you an example:

You are an Assault. You see an empty LAV and jump in. Driving towards a capture point you get hit by a rocket to the front. Let's say you lost 15 points of armor. Now, there is no engineer anywhere near you. What you can now do, is drive into a safe spot and wait around 20 seconds (again,just a guesstimate) for it to recharge. If you were an Engineer, you could have jumped out, repaired the damage in 3-4 seconds and moved back in. It is literally there so that non-engineer classes have a way to use vehicles for a bit longer, but it is totally balanced so that an engineer will ALWAYS be better than the regen. You will also NEVER regen health while under fire.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Sorted it out once more, thanks again my bavarian friend.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I must say I love the idea of not being able to regenerate health (either as infantry or armour) while under fire. The whole suppression mechanic really is excellent.

I really didn't enjoy MoH when I borrowed it off a friend, but the beta is so so tempting.
    Halfhand wrote:
    can't fucking wait to play this again. the alpha was possibly the most fun I've ever had in an online shooter.

Damnit this is not helping

101 on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Unnnghhh so hype.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Nooooovember! Gonna have to quit this thread I reckon

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Every time I play an FPS now I compare it to how BF3 Alpha felt and I just want to play it again.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    Has there been any confirmation on whether the 60MM mortar is a deployable mortar emplacement or just a mortar strike like in BC2?

I really hope it's the former because laying waste to a target spotted by a forward observer in BF1942/Forgotten Hope 2 was awesome.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Has there been any confirmation on whether the 60MM mortar is a deployable mortar emplacement or just a mortar strike like in BC2?

I really hope it's the former because laying waste to a target spotted by a forward observer in BF1942/Forgotten Hope 2 was awesome.

It is a deployable mortar useable by the Engineer class. Or well, deployable by the Engis and then useable by everyone.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome. Do we know if recons can spot targets for mortars so they can provide indirect fire? Because I will make it rain all day if so.

• Options
    Well, everyone can spot enemies, but no idea about being able to spot "locations".

Also, new trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ukxgldpOo&feature=channel_video_title

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    rook268rook268 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Edit: beated

rook268 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    DrunkMc wrote:
    Anyone know if the buildings collapse randomly now? In BF:BC2 I realized that the buildings always feel into the same rubble.

Just watched the trailers again....jesus I can't wait.

I doubt the destruction is much more advanced than BC2. There seem to be more actual rubble (rocks and debris falling down from an explosion and dealing splash damage) than there was in BC2 though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    The DAO-12 shotgun. Who needs any other gun?

• Options
    I can't wait to take that shotty and go to town. Or field. Or forest.

I'm saying I will shoot you no matter where you are!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Wait did I just see a SKS "sniper"?

I am very disappoint.

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    Anyone else thinking of the shotgun hallway scene in The Expendables?

That flash suppressor looks could be cool. I can't recall if muzzle flash was as much as a giveaway in BC2, or BF2 for that matter.

I hope they scale the speed of unlocks between BC2 and BF2. BC2 had everything unlocked by level 20-something which was odd with a level 50 cap. BF2 they had to go back the rescale the xp for levels and it still seemed to take forever to unlock everything.

• Options
    iRevert wrote:

I am very disappoint.

I think ti was being utilized in more of a DMR capacity.

• Options
    SkannerJAT wrote:
    Anyone else thinking of the shotgun hallway scene in The Expendables?

That flash suppressor looks could be cool. I can't recall if muzzle flash was as much as a giveaway in BC2, or BF2 for that matter.

I hope they scale the speed of unlocks between BC2 and BF2. BC2 had everything unlocked by level 20-something which was odd with a level 50 cap. BF2 they had to go back the rescale the xp for levels and it still seemed to take forever to unlock everything.

I can tell you that muzzle flashes in BF3 illuminate everything around you in those tunnels. Like, they are a total giveaway of your position.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Vehicles will also NEVER regen health while under fire.
    Just to double check, does this apply only to fie that can damage your vehicle or is it all incoming fire (say, pistol fire while driving a tank)?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    SkannerJAT wrote:
    iRevert wrote:

I am very disappoint.

I think ti was being utilized in more of a DMR capacity.

No its the fact that they used an SKS in this that makes me disappointed. Theres so many other great choices that could have been used rather then a dingy old sporterized sks.

• Options
    Klyka wrote:
    I can tell you that muzzle flashes in BF3 illuminate everything around you in those tunnels. Like, they are a total giveaway of your position.

Very cool, you are a fountain of info Klyka, thanks. Not to go completely off topic, but your in Bovaria? Was there a few years back in Bad Kissingen. Beautiful place, can't wait to go back sometime.

• Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Well, everyone can spot enemies, but no idea about being able to spot "locations".
    In BF1942, you couldn't really "spot" enemies. Spotting back then meant a recon took out his binoculars and painted a target for artillery. When he did that, anyone manning an artillery piece could cycle through all currently available spots and try to shell the location by adjusting the azimuth and elevation. It was something that people rarely used but could turn the tide of a fight if used well.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Syrdon wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Vehicles will also NEVER regen health while under fire.
    Just to double check, does this apply only to fie that can damage your vehicle or is it all incoming fire (say, pistol fire while driving a tank)?

I am contemplating that myself and it'll be the first thing I'll test in Beta.
    Klyka wrote:
    In BF1942, you couldn't really "spot" enemies. Spotting back then meant a recon took out his binoculars and painted a target for artillery. When he did that, anyone manning an artillery piece could cycle through all currently available spots and try to shell the location by adjusting the azimuth and elevation. It was something that people rarely used but could turn the tide of a fight if used well.

I know, I played BF1942 since day one myself. We have no info on that though, the only "spotting" currently known is the "spot an enemy" thing.

@SkannerJat: No I am not in Bavaria, I am at the complete opposite end, at the coast to the North Sea.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    You cant make a new thread and then close the old thread without linking to the new thread! I had to browse the forums! BROWSE!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The screams in that pre-order pack video are hilarious. Is that what they really sound like in the game? HOOWRRRHGHH.

That flash supressor seems kind of really good. Won't that give pre-order people an edge against regulars or is this a case of pre-order people getting it immediately and regulars being able to unlock it.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    The screams in that pre-order pack video are hilarious. Is that what they really sound like in the game? HOOWRRRHGHH.

That flash supressor seems kind of really good. Won't that give pre-order people an edge against regulars or is this a case of pre-order people getting it immediately and regulars being able to unlock it.

It's exactly what you said. Everything in the PW pack can be unlocked, pre-order people just have it unlocked from the start.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    man these videos are so damn shit hot it's like diarrhea running down my leg
    in a good way

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

It's exactly what you said. Everything in the PW pack can be unlocked, pre-order people just have it unlocked from the start.

The flash suppressor on the SAW wasn't nearly as effective as the 200 round belt anyways.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

The flash suppressor on the SAW wasn't nearly as effective as the 200 round belt anyways.

Well, I think a flash suppressor on a rifle makes a bit more sense than on a OMG BULLETS ARE EVERYWHERE DAKKA DAKKA machine gun.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Klyka wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

Well, I think a flash suppressor on a rifle makes a bit more sense than on a OMG BULLETS ARE EVERYWHERE DAKKA DAKKA machine gun.

I like my PDWs too much to care. MP7for life. Also M1014.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

I like my PDWs too much to care. MP7 to lief.

God I remember unlocking that. I was all "Hm, well, I am in the subway now, might as well try this thing out!"

I got 12 kills in a row.

<3

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Christ, I've always been a COD over BF guy, but watching that trailer vs. the new MW3 trailer is like night and day.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Haha, you want something better?

1080p and 60fps video!
    http://gamersyde.com/news_battlefield_3_physical_warfare_pack-11839_en.html

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
This discussion has been closed.