As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When is Pax Prime 2012?

HydrophobicFishHydrophobicFish Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in PAX Archive
Does anybody know? Normally I'd be patient, however, my fiance and I are planning on having our honeymoon in Seattle, and want to attend Prime 2012 as part of our honeymoon, and thus, need to plan the wedding for immediately before.

Thanks for any help!

HydrophobicFish on

Posts

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Labor day weekend, so Aug 31 - Sep 2.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • HydrophobicFishHydrophobicFish Registered User regular
    While I believe you, as was covered we have to plan our wedding around this... do you have any proof positive? Like, an official link or anything I can find?

    And again, thank you.

  • Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    It was stated in the Gabe/Tycho panels that they had to move it this year because the AMA locks up the convention center on Labor Day weekend every 8 years. Besides the years that happens, PAX will always be Labor Day weekend.

  • CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    Labor day weekend is the next PAX Prime.

    [E]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    Labor Day weekend is PAX Prime until 2019

    E6LkoFK.png

  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Eticket109 wrote:
    It was stated in the Gabe/Tycho panels that they had to move it this year because the AMA locks up the convention center on Labor Day weekend every 8 years. Besides the years that happens, PAX will always be Labor Day weekend.

    Just wondering.. what is the AMA? I looked on the WSCC calendar for this weekend and there is no such thing listed but there are 2 other small events listed? I do see many small AMA meeting events at other times in many months though.

    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

  • AlatheiaAlatheia Registered User
    ElmoFuntz wrote:
    Eticket109 wrote:
    It was stated in the Gabe/Tycho panels that they had to move it this year because the AMA locks up the convention center on Labor Day weekend every 8 years. Besides the years that happens, PAX will always be Labor Day weekend.

    Just wondering.. what is the AMA? I looked on the WSCC calendar for this weekend and there is no such thing listed but there are 2 other small events listed? I do see many small AMA meeting events at other times in many months though.

    AMA = American Medical Association

  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    They don't have to take up the whole convention center to force PAX to pick another weekend. PAX needs the whole center, for not only the weekend, but the week leading up to it for setup as well as a few days after for tear down.

    -Beker/Erick
    gQPRxvs.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, during tear down I heard a couple of WSCC people talking about having to move in two other events as soon as we were out. I don't think what kept PAX out on labor day weekend was ever specifically said as AMA related, just medical related. Although i recall at the end of prime '10 hearing it was a fishing thing... :P like they're more important that us. :P

    Edit: Looked at the calendar and it wasn't anything medical related. It was a political science association thing, a prayer service and a fishing thing.

    Steel Fire on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    The American Fisheries Society is the people who kept us out for Labor Day weekend this year. The other two things were probably tacked on after the fact, but the AFS had the convention center booked YEARS ago.

    E6LkoFK.png

  • WestrunnerWestrunner Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I ran into an Enforcer Monday Morning who said that unfortunately PAX was not able to get Labor day again for the next few years so would be the weekend before again in 2012. That being said if Mike and/or Jerry gave the date at their panel, I believe them, but I would like more clarification please.

    Also: The Sheraton is already booked that Weekend of 2012. (Edit: this is quite possibly incorrect, PAX itself may be holding a large block of rooms). I had a great time there and this was saddening, but I reserved at the Grand Hyatt. Lawd that's pricey.

    Westrunner on
    TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Westrunner wrote:
    I ran into an Enforcer Monday Morning who said that unfortunately PAX was not able to get Labor day again for the next few years so would be the weekend before again in 2012. That being said if Mike and/or Jerry gave the date at their panel, I believe them, but I would like more clarification please.

    Also: The Sheraton is already booked that Weekend of 2012. I had a great time there and this was saddening, but I reserved at the Grand Hyatt. Lawd that's pricey.

    Or you could just wait for the PAX hotel system to go up in April/May and book through them at a reduced rate....

  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Westrunner wrote:
    I ran into an Enforcer Monday Morning who said that unfortunately PAX was not able to get Labor day again for the next few years so would be the weekend before again in 2012. That being said if Mike and/or Jerry gave the date at their panel, I believe them, but I would like more clarification please.

    Also: The Sheraton is already booked that Weekend of 2012. I had a great time there and this was saddening, but I reserved at the Grand Hyatt. Lawd that's pricey.

    Or you could just wait for the PAX hotel system to go up in April/May and book through them at a reduced rate....

    Yeah with the PAX rate the Grand Hyatt was only $180/night (plus taxes) The sheraton was $160 from what I heard. Not that much of a difference. And the minifridge ad on to the Hyatt was only $5 (That alone saved my wife and I $20/day in lunch). Plus they had some great last minute deals they sent to my wife (Hyatt Rewards Member) trying to get us to upgrade to free up room (Sadly we couldn't take any of them, because they required having friends also at the Hyatt willing to go into a suite together. The Deal however was 0 cost to move up, it may have actually cost less.)

    That being said, I wouldn't be so sure the Shareton is already "booked" it's almost a year out, they may just not be taking reservations (or they may have premptively blocked everything off for later.) Personally I wouldn't start making any plans until official details are announced early next year.

  • WestrunnerWestrunner Registered User regular
    The Sheraton said they had "no availability for those dates." I had no idea that PAX blocked off rooms for official use. Thanks for the heads up. Worst case scenario I still have a room I can cancel at no cost, but I'll be looking forward to the PAX hotel system.

    TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    so y'all did confirm that it is labor day weekend this year? my bf suggested we go this year. would def be the first con that i have attended outside of az and one im not working at. i just wanted to confirm so we can start planning.

  • kyan22kyan22 Tucson,azRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Labor Day weekend is PAX Prime until 2019

    sounds like phoenix comic con. we are always memorial day weekend

  • The KrakenThe Kraken Registered User new member
    Man... I live in Tacoma and had a blast at PAX last year. But Labor Day weekend is also Dragon*Con in Atlanta and my wife and I NEVER miss D*C. I just wish PAX wasn't the same damn weekend!

Sign In or Register to comment.