As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Monday Sept. 5, 2011

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Wait...did the Green Lantern call Superman Clark right in the middle of the Hall Of Justice? For one thing, I didn't know all the superheroes knew his secret identity. And even if they did, that's not a habit you want to get into. What if you slip in the middle of a battle, or that was the day that Skippy the New Guy joined the League?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Pretty much all superheroes in the DC universe know each other's secret identities, yeah.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    And also this is a comic by Penny-Arcade about Superman being an asshole

it isn't exactly canon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:
    hey remember when superman defeated everyone and made all other heroes irrelevant

remember when that happened

Not to get too into comic BS but the only realistic reason Superman hasn't done this is because 'the writers don't want it to'.

Which is fine, but don't pretend it isn't because his stated powers don't allow him to.

Not really. Clark isn't the super-God he was back in the day. His powers got toned down a lot in the 80s, and have stayed that way. He's still one of the most powerful DC heroes, but he's far from invincible or unstoppable.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    And also this is a comic by Penny-Arcade about Superman being an asshole

it isn't exactly canon
    Wh- what

Oh well, DC already received my hate mail

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:
    hey remember when superman defeated everyone and made all other heroes irrelevant

Not to get too into comic BS but the only realistic reason Superman hasn't done this is because 'the writers don't want it to'.

Which is fine, but don't pretend it isn't because his stated powers don't allow him to.

Not really. Clark isn't the super-God he was back in the day. His powers got toned down a lot in the 80s, and have stayed that way. He's still one of the most powerful DC heroes, but he's far from invincible or unstoppable.

Not to mention if anyone should be making people irrelevant, it should be the Martian Manhunter. He basically has all of Superman's powers, plus invisibility, telepathy, density control, and shapeshifting. And he used to be a detective in his spare time. The only drawback (aside from writer's constantly having him job) is that his weakness is more common than Superman's.
    I'm of course referring to Oreos.

• Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    Lars wrote:
    Not to mention if anyone should be making people irrelevant, it should be the Martian Manhunter. He basically has all of Superman's powers, plus invisibility, telepathy, density control, and shapeshifting. And he used to be a detective in his spare time. The only drawback (aside from writer's constantly having him job) is that his weakness is more common than Superman's.
    I'm of course referring to Oreos.

"I'm as powerful as Superman. Why does everyone forget that?" (throws building)

• Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    Meanwhile while Supermans bragging the Flash is getting things done by going faster then everything

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    don't particularly like this comic

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Pata wrote:
    Meanwhile while Supermans bragging the Flash is getting things done by going faster then everything

Except Superman.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:

This comic is based on Tycho's experience reading All-Star Superman,

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Kagera wrote:
    Pata wrote:

Except Superman.

Flash is faster. At least when speaking of the modern characters.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    admanb wrote:
    This comic is based on Tycho's experience reading All-Star Superman,

That's a really weird thing to take away from ASS, especially since this happens:
    All%20Star%20Superman%20pa%20kent%20dies%20Morrison%20Quitely.jpg

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Why don't you just throw the whole world into the sun

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Goth girl about to kill herself? INTO THE SUN

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Goth girl about to kill herself? INTO THE SUN

"I'm much stronger than you think I am."

• Options
    SteakMuffinsSteakMuffins Registered User new member
    Somebody needs to check up on Aquaman.

http://www.mrlovenstein.com/comic/149#comic

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    The "into the sun" thing reminds me of the animated Superman vs. Doomsday. Throughout their fight, I kept yelling at Superman to just pick up Doomsday and throw him into the sun.
    When Superman bear-hugged him and flew into orbit, I was like "Well fucking finally. You only decided to take him off the planet AFTER billions of dollars of damage have been done to the city, not to mention the deaths of the people that were likely in and around those buildings that got hit".

Then he reversed course and began to dive to Earth. "What the FUCK are you doing? Why are you so stupid!"

Hits the earth, making a big ass crater in the MIDDLE of Metropolis, then "dies".

"You moron."

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I can't believe no one has posted Wonderella yet.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This comic is funny and fairly fresh to me, but then I fucking hate superhero comics, etc. and wouldn't have encountered them much before.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You can't throw a mystery into the sun, Clark!

why don't you just put the whole world into the sun, Clark

edit: dammit speed racer

Langly on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    What happens when a homeless person shows up at the Hall of Justice? Does the receptionist call the cops while the superheroes in the background awkwardly pretend not to notice?

• Options
    PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    What happens when a homeless person shows up at the Hall of Justice?

INTO THE SUN

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote:
    You can't throw a mystery into the sun, Clark!

why don't you just put the whole world into the sun, Clark

edit: dammit speed racer

HEH

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:

If he had a Kryptonite GPS locator then the Council of Doom would be really fucked.

Assuming he could figure out a way to fling it all into the sun safely.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    It's well established that Superman's invulnerability doesn't stand up to magical attacks, too. A magical sword cuts him just as easily as a normal human.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Superman is strengthened by the yellow wavelength of our sun or something right? What happens when he is indoors, shouldn't he get weak?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    Superman is strengthened by the yellow wavelength of our sun or something right? What happens when he is indoors, shouldn't he get weak?

he has to be indoors from several days to several months, depending on who's writing about that particular weakness

• Options
    DaGillerDaGiller Registered User new member
    Yeah, he can wear out, eventually. Based solely on the intro movie, part of the premise of DCUO is that the villains won the "final battle" because Supes had to take a recharge break. (well, that and GL couldn't beat Adam, Flash suddenly got slow, Wonder Woman lost her lasso, Batmobile lost a wheel, etc, etc)

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Enc wrote:

he has to be indoors from several days to several months, depending on who's writing about that particular weakness

So the keys to defeating Superman are kryptonite and World of Warcraft.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    thing is you can make ANYthing out of kryptonite.

Superman bulletproof? NUHUU, because KRYPTONITE bullets!

just tie him up with some kryptonite rope, kryptonite handcuffs, and drop him in a pool of liquid kryptonite!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Pata wrote:

Except Superman.

ha

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote:
    thing is you can make ANYthing out of kryptonite.

Superman bulletproof? NUHUU, because KRYPTONITE bullets!

just tie him up with some kryptonite rope, kryptonite handcuffs, and drop him in a pool of liquid kryptonite!

Kevin Spacey would have killed Superman for good if he and his goons just kept him on the magic landmass cutting him with kryptonite shards.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Pata wrote:

Except Superman.

ha
    Can the Flash run so fast he can turn back time by reversing the rotation of the Earth? Yeah I THOUGHT not!
    Can.Worms.Open.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    can superman not be the dumbest most boring super hero ever?

I didn't think so !

faits.png
  • Options
    faits stop being dumb about Superman

• Options
    faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    never!

I have opinions that are both fake and misinformed and I refuse to keep them to myself.

faits.png
  • Options
    Aside from magic and kryptonite, there's also the simple fact that someone powerful enough can just straight-up hit him. A punch from Mongul or Wonder Woman or Doomsday or Martian Manhunter is something he's gonna feel.

• Options
    I too used to think superman was kind of dumb

and then someone convinced me to read Red Son

• Options
    CZekeCZeke Registered User new member
    Okay, weighing in late here, but am I the only one who was really thrown by this bit?
    They could have gone free at the same time, and maybe they should have, but hey - baby steps. Let’s all pretend to be real surprised next year.

They could have "gone free"? How does Tycho think companies stay in business? I understand that pricing downloads is a complicated issue, but not pricing them is a much simpler one. The benefit (some people possibly thinking well of DC for a while) would be nothing compared to the loss (nobody going to the comic store anymore).

There's room for debate, sure. What gets me is how the newspost acts like there isn't. From guys who are worried about the harm used-game sales may be doing to their industry, it seems uncharacteristically callous to scorn DC for not giving enough stuff away.