Options

[Let's Play] Metroid Other M - S14 - Always wear your helmet

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm not saying Team Ninja aren't at fault at all. What I'm saying is, yes. Team Ninja and the cutscene studio had a bad idea for how to design samus in this game. But Sakamoto then went "Yes. This is how samus should look" instead of saying "No, she should be taller" or things like that.

So for that, at the end of the day, it's kinda equal in blame.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    I'm not saying Team Ninja aren't at fault at all. What I'm saying is, yes. Team Ninja and the cutscene studio had a bad idea for how to design samus in this game. But Sakamoto then went "Yes. This is how samus should look" instead of saying "No, she should be taller" or things like that.

That's all I ask for, in terms of understanding what I'm saying.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    All that matters is that neither team ninja nor the twit who wrote the games story goes anywhere near it again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I think it's weird to say Samus was "subjected to Team Ninja's typical treatment of women" when as far as we know, Team Ninja just did gameplay, while all the parts that actively offend people are the entire portrayal of the character, which AFAIK came from the same guy that gave us the skin-hugging zero suit and Samus's proclivity for running around in it a couple games prior. And even if TN or the movie crew had put their own spin by making Samus a pygmy or whatever, Sakamoto ultimately passed it.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    heenato wrote:

That's all I ask for, in terms of understanding what I'm saying.

I think you're giving Team Ninja too much credit. I'm also kind of sick of most people blaming them since they really were mostly there for gameplay. For most people, it is Team Ninja's fault.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    What we see in Other M is in line with the usual Japanese aesthetics (things like Samus being small and emotional, heck they probably even thought the thumb down at the mission briefings was badass :) ). I don't think other studios would have handled the story in a much different way. Wasn't the game designed to appeal to the Japanese market anyway? A silent Space Amazon that leaves a path of destruction in her wake probably doesn't have the same appeal over there

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, fuck the Japanese
    in this specific context

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Set 04 - Deadly slender necks
    Those necks....so slender.....hnnnnnnnngggg

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Aegeri wrote:
    All that matters is that neither team ninja nor the twit who wrote the games story goes anywhere near it again.

To briefly not hate on the direction this game took, I'm really enjoying this LP. Klyka, you're making me sit down and enjoy watching a game I dislike.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    Uuuugh. Those space giraffes just looked tedious to fight, and not even that fun.

Glad to see the tubes making their triumphant come-back. Space pirates must've designed this space station.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:

There are a lot more severe issues with Other M than Samus's height. Why are you guys talking about this? It's not like suddenly she was a dwarf.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    TUUUUUUUUUBES.

And we can't neglect her height simply because she speaks like Microsoft Sam. We've gotta cover all the bases of terrible.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Your aggressiveness in combat improved in this video, Klyka. I am pleased. I'm also pleased that you managed to avoid getting hit by at least one of those enemies crawling around in the morph ball sequences. Though it was the last one. After it happened like six times already. Scrub. <_<

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Yeah, those giraffe trees are annoying. Why yes, an enemy that launches missiles constantly that happen to intercept your own missile shots along with lots of limbs that get in the way of the thing you need to hit is a great idea! You're just lucky they didn't wander away from the ledges you can get to while the core thingy's on top.

• Options
    Dartboy wrote:
    Yeah, those giraffe trees are annoying. Why yes, an enemy that launches missiles constantly that happen to intercept your own missile shots along with lots of limbs that get in the way of the thing you need to hit is a great idea! You're just lucky they didn't wander away from the ledges you can get to while the core thingy's on top.

I, uh, I didn't see that as being annoying at all. I saw that as Klyka not picking up on how the giraffe trees shot twice in a row before leaving an opening for a couple seconds.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Dartboy wrote:

I, uh, I didn't see that as being annoying at all. I saw that as Klyka not picking up on how the giraffe trees shot twice in a row before leaving an opening for a couple seconds.

As you saw in the video, you don't really have to dodge, you can just stand there and snipe the projectiles and then shoot a missile. Only sometimes do you need to dodge again.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    quit dissing the fusion suit. :x

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    When they stop making it ugly, I will!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    There has been so much mention of how the Japanese view woman.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YamatoNadeshiko

Take a guess at what a bad author trying to portray such a character ends up with.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    quit dissing the fusion suit. :x

NO, IT IS UGLY. :evil:
    Klyka wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Dartboy wrote:

As you saw in the video, you don't really have to dodge, you can just stand there and snipe the projectiles and then shoot a missile. Only sometimes do you need to dodge again.

Yeah you got around to doing that. I remember the first time you had that idea you still got biffed in the face by one. <.<

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    You know, an updated suit for post Fusion games with a mixture of the organic parts of the Fusion Suit and perhaps a more streamlined Power Suit wouldn't look bad at all. Though at this point I'd just be glad for a new Metroid game that wasn't a character abortion.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    You know what pisses me off the most about Metroid Other M.

They basically try to turn Samus into Aya Brea from Parasite Eve, but instead we gotten Aya Brea from Parasite Eve: 3rd Birthday.

• Options
    The fusion suit looked much better in the final, orange/yellow colors that matched the old power suit, though I'd still prefer if Metroid 5 started with her finding another power suit somewhere.

Actually, come to think of it, the fusion suit is basically what's left after they cut off all the outer armor bits, right? It essentially serves the same function as the zero suit, and I think it would have been a neater idea to have that instead of "LOL skin-tight jumpsuit." Plus, the zero suit means we don't get bikini shots for quick completion times anymore.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Klyka, when your standing on the marked position of secret power-up on the mini-map but can't seem to find it, chances are the item is either hidden under or above you or there's a secret tunnel leading to it somewhere :)

in case of the hidden power-up in that water corridor, it's
    underwater behind the wall and I think you need to upgrade your weapons first to get to it.

and those switches behind glass require a certain beam to activate them

• Options
    Klyka, when your standing on the marked position of secret power-up on the mini-map but can't seem to find it, chances are the item is either hidden under or above you or there's a secret tunnel leading to it somewhere :)

in case of the hidden power-up in that water corridor, it's
    underwater behind the wall and I think you need to upgrade your weapons first to get to it.

and those switches behind glass require a certain beam to activate them

Is the beam, "An actual laser" beam?

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    You know what pisses me off the most about Metroid Other M.

They basically try to turn Samus into Aya Brea from Parasite Eve, but instead we gotten Aya Brea from Parasite Eve: 3rd Birthday.

I think they shared notes.

• Options
    Don't be silly. Samus hasn't been authorized to shoot a beam that can pass through glass. And she hasn't been authorized to punch through glass either, so it's basically an impenetrable wall, taunting you with goodies just out of reach.

• Options
    It's the murderbeam, isn't it? I bet it's the murderbeam.

Or the deathbeam.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    It's the spazer.

• Options
    Yeah, I know. I was joking.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Wait so was I. Is the spazer beam actually in Other M?! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck did I accidental spoil? D:

• Options
    No, I just got the beam names mixed up.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Isn't the Spazer beam basically the Diffusion beam? Or was it the upgrade that turn your beam into squiggly lines?

• Options
    The Spazer was the one that split the beam into 3, so yeah. It's sorta the diffusion beam, I guess.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Wait so was I. Is the spazer beam actually in Other M?! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck did I accidental spoil? D:

Is that sarcasm? I can't tell due to how dumb this game is. I would figure it's not a spoiler to say this is a Metroid game, and Samus gets beams.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    I don't get how you guys manage to put everything on Sakamoto, even though a lot of your beefs have to do with Samus being subjected to Team Ninja's typical treatment of women.

Team Ninja does not portray women as pathetic whelps that need to be saved by the author's self-insert. Nor does Team Ninja bitch about how western sci-fi is terrible and all of the games we liked were the result of executive meddling.

Remember that Sakamoto has been working on this game for eight years in some form or other.

• Options
    WHERE THE VIDEOS

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    We need more content and more posts! Quick, Klyka! Make a brucie Aran avatar. That'll get some posts.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Haha, sorry guys I had a harsh work week. New video will be up today!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Find a picture of 8-bit Samus in that bikini and then stick Bruce's head on it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve