Options

I hate the ignore function

TubeTube Registered User admin
I also consider everyone who uses it weak minded. Do you really need a special piece of software to ignore someone? Just scroll past their posts! I'm already seeing people saying "oh wow I am totally going to ignore you dude" and I think it's silly. Sure it could be used for genuine trolls, but it's more likely to be used to ignore people who are simply saying things that you don't want to hear, and I think that weakens the mind and the community.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about the ignore function either way?

Tube on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm not wild about the idea, because I suspect we'll end up with threads that don't make a lot of sense because half the conversation is ignoring the other.

    I know I'm not going to use it myself because, as you say, it's easy enough just to scroll past parts of the conversation I'm not following. Plus, that way I know that part of the conversation is happening.

    I also have a suspicion that it'll just fuel the trolls, either because they'll be ignoring anyone who tells them to shut up, or anyone who might tell them to shut up is ignoring them. They'll just rant away in their own echo chamber.

    japan on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    I also consider everyone who uses it weak minded. Do you really need a special piece of software to ignore someone? Just scroll past their posts! I'm already seeing people saying "oh wow I am totally going to ignore you dude" and I think it's silly. Sure it could be used for genuine trolls, but it's more likely to be used to ignore people who are simply saying things that you don't want to hear, and I think that weakens the mind and the community.

    Does anyone have any strong feelings about the ignore function either way?

    Weakens the mind and the community? You've got a flair for the overdramatic sometimes, CT.

    Honestly, I like it. I use it for two particular people who tend to post just completely idiotic drivel, who are quite simply trolls. It isn't like I can't see that they've posted, and it isn't like I can't read their messages if I so choose (all I have to do is click "view post"), but this way I don't have to scroll through a bunch of verbal diarrhea all the time.

    Were it to be disabled, I probably wouldn't cry, but I think it certainly has its uses. There are a number of members of this forum who certainly deserve to be ignored, and this is a good way to cut down on the constant whining about "oh god please ban this dumbass he is a dumbass".
    japan wrote: »
    I also have a suspicion that it'll just fuel the trolls, either because they'll be ignoring anyone who tells them to shut up, or anyone who might tell them to shut up is ignoring them. They'll just rant away in their own echo chamber.

    disagree. Most trolls, when they don't get the feedback they are looking for (aka attention) tend to shut up and look for greener pastures.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't hate the feature, but I still won't use it. If someone has a reputation for spouting nothing but pointless shit I can just as easily scroll past them. Ignoring someone is like saying they will never ever have something worthwhile to say, which can be the wrong move.

    Take the example of a guy like theSAVED who, when he started here basically said everything wrong possible for this form. He was banned and when he came back he is actually improving his posts and can actually contribute here and there. People still shit on him, but outright ignoring him that improvement would have never been seen.

    Marathon on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    but then you've got guys like ketchem_ash

    that motherfucker is nothing but a troll, and he admits as much

    so fuck it, I don't want to read his shit, and so I've got this handy little utility where I don't have to, but still have the option to should I want to give him another shot.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree that ketchem is worthless. So I just skip right past anything he has to say.
    This basically just boils down to the fact that im too lazy to use a button to ignore someone when I can just scroll right past.

    Marathon on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    Marathon wrote: »
    I agree that ketchem is worthless. So I just skip right past anything he has to say.
    This basically just boils down to the fact that im too lazy to use a button to ignore someone when I can just scroll right past.

    see, that's why I like the feature.

    It doesn't make their posts completely disappear, it just sort of "minimizes" them. Auto-scroll-past. With a button to reveal them if you so choose.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Occasionly, when someone annoys me on other boards by being very snide about adding someone to their ignore list, I then try and quote the ignored person whenever relevant, so that they end up seeing them anyway. Just a little petty.

    Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    an interesting question:

    using the ignore list, could the community as a whole ignore certain users, effectively causing the same effect as SA's Hellbans?

    FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    if we could, wouldn't saying we could defeat the point?

    Tube on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I agree with you sorta CT. Ideally we wouldn't need this feature. We'd all like each other and real idiots and trolls and the like would be promptly banned.

    We need this feature.

    jwalk on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's okay. There's only so many times I can hear the one person complain about the Zune or look at the same Sakura picture being posted.

    Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It seems like it would be fairly useful for trolls who for one reason or another haven't been moderated out of existence.

    I haven't tried using it though.

    Edit: Huh, trying it now. It's not like the person becomes invisible; you still know they're posting, just not what every time.

    It seems like a useful tool, however distasteful it might be in a perfect world.

    Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If you don't like it, get rid of it.

    The only reason I used it is if one of the regulars starts sounding like a broken record and has nothing to contribute to me as a poster.

    I ended up un-ignoring the people afterwards, feeling rather petty and realizing that I could simply ignore them by choice.

    Meiz on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At every forum I've been at that had an ignore function, it's never fucking worked. This is because even after you ignore somebody, somebody not on your list will quote the person you're ignoring and there's his post. Because, really, if it's not quotable, it wasn't worth ignoring the person in the first place.

    As such, I don't care either way.

    Daedalus on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    It's a crappy feature, and I'd hate to see many people using it on the on-topic forums. It could end up producing threads-within-threads, with people speaking past each other, and repeating points that were already addressed, and I'm not looking forward to that.

    Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fuck the ignore function. Why would anyone worth the air they breathe willingly render themselves ignorant to big chunks of forum content like another person's posts that everyone else can see?

    Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm not a fan. Yes, there are trolls that I'd probably rather not hear from (Katchem_ash being a good example), but generally our moderators do a good job eventually showing them the door. For the few that manage to hang around, I think people should just manage to ignore them on their own...and it's largely useless, because as somebody said eventually they're going to get quoted, and the replies to their trolling from people who don't have them ignored will still clutter up a thread.

    Also, even some half-retarded troll motherfuckers occasionally have something to say that adds to a thread.

    To me, scrolling past (or perhaps skimming and rolling ones eyes at) somebody's post is the more "grown-up" way of handling it, analogous to listening, shaking your head, and walking away. The ignore function is putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "la la la la I can't hear you la la la la."

    I'd like to think we as a forum are better than that.

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    See I'm not seeing katchem ash as an example to use. I don't see anything that makes him a troll, just things that make him disliked.

    Tube on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2007
    The more I think about it, the more I think that any usefulness that could be gained by such a feature is quickly squashed by the trolls and assholes that spout paragraphs of bullshit, then when called on it go on huge tirades about "then just fucking ignore me, everyone else wants to hear it, harglebargleyaddayadda".

    Again, I like the feature, but I wouldn't be upset to see it go.

    Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    See I'm not seeing katchem ash as an example to use. I don't see anything that makes him a troll, just things that make him disliked.

    Eh. I guess I just can't wrap my mind around him actually existing as a human being, and can't help but suspect he's a carefully crafted internet persona designed to attract negative attention.

    But yeah, either way (troll or just extremely annoying person) he's somebody whose posts I wouldn't mind not seeing. I could name a few others, a couple I consider to be worse, but that would just further my actual point...the number of people I would even consider using an "ignore" function on can probably be counted on one hand (maybe two), and they aren't even all that bad. Compared to what I've seen on other forums, this tells me that our moderators do a pretty decent job taking care of shit, and thus an ignore function is largely unnecessary.

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I could see 20 SEers seeing only each others posts. Which I suppose isn't much of a change from phpbb.

    PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The fantastic thing about a feature is that if you don't enjoy said feature, you can choose to not use it. Also, you cannot ignore admins/mods, so you don't have to worry about that. So, the motion to remove it from the options seems a bit odd to me.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    It still effects the overall culture whether I use it or not

    Tube on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I actually used this yesterday in the SE++ Caturday thread. I didn't really want to see a ton of ugly spiders all over my kitty love thread and the ignore feature let me block out the one who was posting those pics.

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2007
    see you could have just told a mod that he was being obnoxious

    Tube on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That's true, but this way I could deal with it on my own and have it dealt with right away. And once I was done with that thread and saw that he wasn't just a troll all the time I removed him from my list.

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You know what would have fixed the spider/cat problem without needing a full-fledged ignore function? Something along the lines of a "Block images from user" function. Because I agree that images might be harder to scroll past and ignore.

    Then again, if that's even possible I'm sure it would be right about at the bottom of "the list." ;)

    mcdermott on
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    The ignore function is silly. You still that the person on your list posted, plus if they're quoted, you see it anyway. One of the great things about the PA community is our ability to take a lot of shit, but if you start wussing out and put people on your "ignore" list, you are degrading the community and turning us into wusses as a whole. You hear me? It's a useless tool. Besides, believe me, you eventually forget that you have someone on your ignore list and as time goes by, whoever was on your list probably isn't as bad as you thought and you are probably missing out on some good stuff and if they were as bad as you thought, there's a good chance they're already gone.

    Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You seem to overlook the ability to go back and expanding what someone says by clicking on View Post, beside the post. Also, if someone else quotes who's on your ignore list, the quote comes through.

    Illustration:
    ignorefeature.JPG
    I ignored Marathon only for this example.

    The ignore function is irreplaceable when you don't wish to bother a Mod with a "minor issue." Case in point, I'm one of those silly people who is offended by the rampant, nonchalant use of the word faggot. Rather than bother a mod (and let's be honest here nothing is going to change on that policy), I can effectively mute the people who can't type more than a line without using the word as if it were punctuation.

    The argument of the forums falling into despair and people only talking to who they choose to is bit far fetched. Sure the possibility of abuse exists, but as a whole, forumers exhibit the intelligence required to keep it in check.

    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I also consider everyone who uses it weak minded. Do you really need a special piece of software to ignore someone? Just scroll past their posts! I'm already seeing people saying "oh wow I am totally going to ignore you dude" and I think it's silly. Sure it could be used for genuine trolls, but it's more likely to be used to ignore people who are simply saying things that you don't want to hear, and I think that weakens the mind and the community.

    Does anyone have any strong feelings about the ignore function either way?
    I have to agree. There's also an ignore function at Fark for TotalFarkers, and during my stints as such I don't like to use it for exactly that reason. I have had to, though, when the offender just plain will not stop derailing the topic with, usually, hatemongering bullshit, and refuses to contribute anything of substance (however mistaken that substance is).

    I don't see myself using ignore here because if someone tried that here they'd get banned long before I got fed up.

    Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2007
    I really don't like the ignore function. It just doesn't seem to fit with the atmosphere the forum has, and enables some of the whinier members here.

    DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I think I accidentally used the ignore function, but I'm not too sure.

    Hey, has Rankenphile commented here yet? He's got some good opinions.

    Squashua on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't really like it. Before the forum upgrade, I remember some people discovered a way to do it using Firefox or something, I'm not sure. In any case, I really didn't like it, because I saw it as just being extremely passive agressive, because a few people would say "Oh man you are being ignored now" and then every now and again say something to the effect of "haha man it's so great ignoring that guy, what a stupid asshole." It was really bad with Uriel at one point, it was just pointless, negative and mean.

    I'd personally like to see it go.

    Lemming on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited February 2007
    But even if we take it away, people will discover a way to do it using Firefox or something...

    Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, like I said, I'm not really sure, but I think CT's point is that by keeping it in the forum software it's effectively endorsing people ignoring others which is what he wants to avoid.

    Lemming on
  • Options
    ProtoplastProtoplast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There's not a single user on this board worth ignoring. You guys have an active mod team who takes care of any stupid shit that tends to go down. I really don't see why the community needs a passive modding tool. Especially one that really only serves to create stupid posts like 'ignore'd' and 'user x quotes ignored user every time he posts'.

    Honestly, I think the ketchem ash thread proved exactly why the community shouldn't have the ignore option.

    I really think the ignore function could potentially cause seriously derail or destroy the debate subforum. Being able to ignore anyone with an opposing viewpoint defeats the whole purpose that forum.

    Protoplast on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Protoplast wrote: »
    There's not a single user on this board worth ignoring. You guys have an active mod team who takes care of any stupid shit that tends to go down. I really don't see why the community needs a passive modding tool. Especially one that really only serves to create stupid posts like 'ignore'd' and 'user x quotes ignored user every time he posts'.

    Honestly, I think the ketchem ash thread proved exactly why the community shouldn't have the ignore option.

    I really think the ignore function could potentially cause seriously derail or destroy the debate subforum. Being able to ignore anyone with an opposing viewpoint defeats the whole purpose that forum.
    I don't think it poses much of a threat to D&D, if only because the vast majority of us already just ignore anyone we don't want to talk to. Like, not the ignore function, we just don't pay them any attention.

    Thanatos on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Ironically, I only wish I could ignore a certain mod, but since you can't ignore mods I don't currently use it.

    And I agree with badman: if you despise certain people's use of language that the admins like to turn a blind eye to, then you can ignore them and you don't have to read their crap anymore. So what if it shows up in quotes? Then at least you can follow the conversation, but you'll miss a majority of their posts.

    And people were ignoring with a Firefox extension on the previous forums.

    However people that do publicly announce who is going on their ignore are cunts.

    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Instead of taking it away, perhaps you can convert it to something that the leadership may find more useful. Is there a way to get a report of how many people are ignoring a specific user? The users ignored by the most other people would perhaps be indicative of forum "problem children".

    Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    You realize that the ignore function may have it's uses as a detection device.

    Essentially, if you are a long-time forumer and you use the ignore function, you're not using it lightly.

    So put hte ignore button into use.

    Then run a script against the database for all users who have 10+ ignores by forumers who have been with the PA forums since a certain time (2 years).

    That will indicate potential "problem" users that need to be checked out by a mod and possibly deleted.

    Squashua on
Sign In or Register to comment.