As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Treepeople versus Fire-giants: Under New Management!

• Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The message of the bud must be spread to the other nations! We should parlay with these giants and teach them our ways. If they refuse to accept the bud we shall consume them and give our forest strength! And food!

Until then, we need to replenish our food sources through other means.

I'm willing to bed that our new friends would be willing to supply us with food in two turns when we need it.

Let's research how to better adapt when using our new powers of trait absorption

C
    !

Atari Soul on
    edited September 2011
    And Hoodie, your narrative and flexibility in this are commendable. This is head and shoulders above the last cyoa. It's just too bad it's not getting as much attention as the previous one.

Keep up the great work!

Atari Soul on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    I'm so happy with how this is turning out so far

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    If you're enjoying it, spread the word! Get other people in here to vote. The more opinions we have, the more interesting this story could get.

And thanks a ton! This has been a very enjoyable two days.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    C%

We must discover the secret of absorbing traits, otherwise we may simply turn into.... animals.

• VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    C !

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    What do treefolk use to make their books? Flesh?

• faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    so far I think we're just remembering stuff

but yeah, eventually we're probably going to have to make us some pigskin bibles etc

faits.png
    I'm hoping we evolve into a literature-less society. And eventually engineer plants that can be ingested by other species that allow them to understand our faith (which may slowly convert them into plant lifeforms?)

And on a meta-gaming note, should we be evolving our politics more? We picked that as our society focus and it is supposed to help us with synchronizing different branches or something.

Though I do kind of like that we've essentially become the Zerg in plant-form.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    H%

wY6K6Jb.gif
    tree pope

rules us from the holy tree

faits.png
    I bet there are sexual deviants among our tree society. Those that let squirrels and birds build homes on or in them.

Maybe when we interact more with humanoid societies we'll have some trees that try and act like chairs or houses and try and get people to sit on or go inside them.

Naughty thoughts are making all the sap rush to my trunk.

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Atari Soul wrote:
    I'm hoping we evolve into a literature-less society. And eventually engineer plants that can be ingested by other species that allow them to understand our faith (which may slowly convert them into plant lifeforms?)

And on a meta-gaming note, should we be evolving our politics more? We picked that as our society focus and it is supposed to help us with synchronizing different branches or something.

Though I do kind of like that we've essentially become the Zerg in plant-form.
    (spoilered for Big) This is our future:
    ferosthorianfullshotsec.jpg

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Give a tree a pig, you feed him for a day. Teach a tree to hunt, you please the pollen that binds us all.

H!

Smile to their faces. Then, when their backs are turned, grab them, spin them back around, and eat said faces.

They'll never see it coming.

Until we want them to.

Sneaks on
    edited September 2011
    How the Treepeople Got Their Faces

(they ate them off of people meatlings)

faits on
    faits.png
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote:
    If you're enjoying it, spread the word! Get other people in here to vote. The more opinions we have, the more interesting this story could get.

You know, you'd probably get more attention if you whine and pretend you hate doing this for us. Go on in detail about how typing hurts you so!

But more seriously, looking forwards to where this goes. Science Trees! Advance!

• Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    Rainfall wrote:
    hoodie13 wrote:

You know, you'd probably get more attention if you whine and pretend you hate doing this for us. Go on in detail about how typing hurts you so!

But more seriously, looking forwards to where this goes. Science Trees! Advance!

Yeah, that was pretty much the consensus that I got from reading that abortion of a thread. Word of note, want want attention on SEPulsPlus? Act like an injured seal, the sharks will begin circling momentarily. :P

"Never Hit"
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    This is so much delicious fun Hoodie. I am glad you are running it.

C with a focus on food production and cultivation, though I'm sure I will get overruled. I want to let it be known, having chosen to ingest the lesser creatures, we must also now cultivate them

! - let us enter diplomatic relationship for the moment.

• MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    C-We must further understand our powers so that we may better consume the fleshlings

%-We must not let our eagerness for blood cloud our abilities to make sound tactical decisions.

also I found a pic of what our guys may end up looking like:

eETH9.jpg

xet8c.gif
    that looks disturbingly human

uh... whatever these 'humans' are i guess?

• DajianDajian Registered User regular
    H - We must seek out ever more challenging prey for the bud calls us to perfect ourselves through consumption!

% - We are smarter than these meatlings and we will consume them in proper time.

So I'm slacking, but I just got parts 1 and 2 of 3 of my brand new computer and we had to rearrange the whole goddamn apartment. I'll update this tomorrow morning when I get to work.

heck, I dont even know if there's a consensus yet.

Also, I really appreciate the sentiments guys. I haven't really written anything in like 3 years, since college. Feels good. You know, if anyone wants to donate some money to me I have a paypal setup. I'll even send you pic sets of my fiancpouinwby;osdmctw efkns wwe

@hoodiethirteen
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    So, are we no longer doing "first 3 identical votes wins", but instead "most identical votes win"?

If so, H !.

edited September 2011
    I assumed we were always doing most identical votes, or most amount of votes for whatever options

Jintor on
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    If you plan on attacking the village soon, won't that restore our food? Seems like D and % would offer a greater victory in the future

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    C !

I propose we research more and teach these meatbags that plant-buddism requires meat sacrifices. Because enlightment can only be reached by shedding this carnal shell and becoming one with the trees. Maybe we should approach some senior members of the meatbag communitie and let them become the religious leaders of the herd flock.

steam_sig.png
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Being a tree-reaper would be awesome.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

treepers

wY6K6Jb.gif

treepers

creepers, where'd you get those peepers?

Some clarification on rules: Generally it'll be the first three votes to reach a consensus, unless there's a vast majority who wish to go another way. Say we had ten votes and the first three agreed, but then the next seven all agreed to go another way. We haven't had this pop up yet, but I'll ask for clarification in that instance.

Taking a vote, it looks pretty close but C! won out in the end. So more research into science, and diplomacy with the large green creatures of the village. Gimme a bit to write.

@hoodiethirteen
    @hoodiethirteen
    is that bad

it's bad, isn't it

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    is that bad

it's bad, isn't it

We cant motivate them into being our cattle, so we will have to kill and eat them straight away.
    I hope they havent turned our diplomats into a picknicktable.

steam_sig.png
    Well it isnt as bad as a 1, but it's not good for diplomacy, that's for sure.

@hoodiethirteen
    DECISION:

C, !
    Research science, exercise diplomacy with the villagers

Overview:
    Science: 3
    Military: 2
    Magic: 2
    Politics: 2
    Progress: 0
    Transportation: 0
    Insight: 3

Resources:
    Gold: none
    Wood: mid
    Food: low
    Population: 20 (24 in grove, 16 at village)

What Happened?
    The trees at the village wait until day break, then slowly approach the village to avoid undue alarm.

(roll:5 vs difficulty:6)

As you get closer, the green creatures suddenly begin to yell to each other and run into their homes. Soon, the village appears deserted. The sight of the forest coming alive and marching toward them appears to have frightened them.

You enter the village and explore, cautiously. There are no visible villagers, though there is some livestock secured in a pen outside one of the homes. You can hear panicked breathing within the structures. The large central construction has been abandoned, the crude stone and wooden tools strewn about haphazardly. The places where trading occurred are equally deserted, so you take it upon yourself to investigate the wares.

One table has fish, larger than you would find in the streams and rivers. Another has wooden and stone tools not unlike those around the construction site. Another has herbs and other plants that you recognize are worthless, but these creatures may not realize this.

You’ve explored the village thoroughly. There are now 16 members of your tribe standing in various spots of the center of the village. You speak to each other about your options.

Back at the grove, your scientist continues to research the natural world. You’ve made a breakthrough! The vines and roots which you use to entangle prey are now strong enough to crack open rocks. This could be used in the future to mine more effectively. Training in Military could put this to a martial use.

Continuing his studies, the lightning strikes which previously frightened your people have become inspiration. After much work, the scientist discovers how to make fire from rubbing two sticks together. You Science has increased to 3! The circumstances of the stick-rubbing remain shrouded in mystery.

What will be the council’s next action?

Options (Chance of success):
    A) Expand N, S, E, W
    B) Breed
    C) Research Science
    D) Research Military
    E) Research Magic
    F) Research Politics
    G) Send half of the trees at the grove to the village
    H) Hunt

Village options (chance of success):
    1) Demonstrate your peaceful nature in an attempt to draw out the villagers (Must roll at least a 9)
    2) Lay waste to the village (Must roll at least a 15)
    3) Cease your movement come nightfall. The villagers are primitive and may think you are only alive in the daytime (Must roll at least a 12)
    4) Take all of the goods in the trading center and leave (Must roll at least a 6)
    6) Eat the livestock [pigs, cows, goats, chickens] and leave (must roll at least an 8
    7) Leave and return in the future. The villagers are primitive and will likely remember this day forever (No roll, instant success)
    8) Breed. Right there. (Must roll at least a 17)

@hoodiethirteen
    It'll be fine, we just need to show them some tough negotiations.

C - more science, more discoveries

4 - let's just loot and scoot

our food stores are really low, I say H6

wY6K6Jb.gif
    They can go to very low before we need to worry! Science will help us and then we can hunt.