As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Treepeople versus Fire-giants: Under New Management!

• faitsfaits a panda eating cake seattleRegistered User regular
    last time science helped us cracked rocks. I don't know about you, but that ain't exactly fillin my tree belly

maybe we should think about getting that farmland to start raising our livestock (since it looks like we won't be eating the village any time soon)

faits.png
    edited September 2011
    the discovery of fire

zkZUF.jpg

faits on
    faits.png
  • Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    I feel like the village has kind of been a disappointment so far. We need to cut our losses. We should have a tactical retreat, research something like politics to better synchronize all of our upgrades, and wait for our forces to be united. Then we can either try to parlay with these giants or bring down a righteous fury. Either way, we should be able to stock up our food after we deal with the village.

For the other things, like the trade goods, those will probably come back into our hands at some point, so no need to rush and take then now.

Ideally we can treat with these giants, and once we have learned how to best adapt their traits into ourselves, we can devour those not converted to Buddism.

I feel like if we leave, the next time we come back the giants will be armed with fire, which we have no defense for yet.

F - Research politics (this is also our society focus, so maybe the bonus will be bigger?)
    7 - Leave the village (no point taking food or other things we will be able to get in one more turn, though breeding right there is tempting...)

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    F 7

We must enlighten them. Show them the way of the bud. Their frightend reaction was only a minor setback in our plans to domesticate these wild animals and us them as cattle.

Edit: Tactical retreat sounds wise.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    No! Last march of the ents time.
    It always works out in the end haven't you read Tolkien/Macbeth?

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    No! Last march of the ents time.
    It always works out in the end haven't you read Tolkien/Macbeth?

Yes, but this would technically be the first march of the ents.

steam_sig.png
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    H - We must seek out ever more challenging prey for the bud calls us to perfect ourselves through consumption!

6 - The ignoarant flesh creates must get in our tree bellies.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go with the politcal retreat instead!

F7

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    thank christ, a consensus, now i can stop working again

mortgages are awful, you dudes

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    5lDL4.png

broken image link
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I make no votes because consensus has been reached

however

I must advocate that we research alcohol or its plant equivilent as soon as possible

DECISION:

F, 7
    Leave the village paralyzed in fear, and study societal advancement

Overview:
    Science: 3
    Military: 2
    Magic: 2
    Politics: 3
    Progress: 0
    Transportation: 0
    Insight: 3

Resources:
    Gold: none
    Wood: mid
    Food: very low
    Population: 40

What Happened?
    The vegetative visitors at the village decide to leave. They just wanted to talk, but the green creatures inhabiting the village are frozen inside, and do not appear to want to come out. You’ve all peeked through openings in the walls, and you’ve caught glimpses of huddled masses, but your form frightens them too much. The diplomatic venture was a wash. You speak amongst each other about returning in the future, but leave for now.

As you leave, one or two of you stop to examine the large central structure being built. They note the techniques used. As your people have no need for structures (being plants), the thought of being anywhere but underneath the open sun and stars is strange. You cannot discount the impressive nature of such structures, though. And they may be useful for any future races under your control. You retain this information for future use. You’ve made a breakthrough! You can now use the technology building.

The trees all return to the grove. The council is reunited and decides to throw a massive celebration, the first of its kind, to commemorate the joining of the tribe. There is much mirth and joy.

The council, whole again, puts its trunks together in deep thought on how to advance the civilization further. Many things were learned from the village experience.

You’ve experienced how other races may react to you. The villagers reacted in intense fear at your sight. Perhaps this could be used to your advantage in converting others? The council decides that sending out groups of 5 crusaders to make contact with other races may be beneficial. Crusaders are ready for war and will have constant communication with the council through the breezes.

Your people have witnessed advanced trade and are intrigued by it. The traders appeared to have a large degree of control over the village, being in the central space. All of the villagers would walk past and pay attention to the trader’s wares. The tree people show vast interest in harnessing this resource, and because of this your Politics skill has increased to 3!. You have gained the trade technology. While your people have no need to trade amongst each other (as all that the Bud gives them is for all Buddists) perhaps you could use this to your advantage in the future when interacting with other races.

Your people need something to trade, though. Currently, resources are low except for wood. Sending out a trade caravan would not be wise without some kind of luxury good or tradable technology.

Several tree people from the village expedition have expressed interest in exploring the lake. They suggest wrapping their vines around some smaller rocks and weighing themselves down. The council isn’t certain what would be at the bottom of the lake, but it’s worth a shot?

The mood of the population is high following the celebration, and will remain so for the next turn. Breeding while the population is happy is more effective.

The world grows slightly cooler. Hunting is difficult in winter.

Your food stores are very low.

Your chief scientist feels more research could yield more discoveries about the natural world and how things work.

Your military advisor is intrigued by the use of stone and wooden tools by the villagers, and thinks that modified tools could be used as weapons, instead of relying simply upon your massive size and thorny vines. More research into this could yield results.

Your priest is frightened by the use of fire by the scientist. He thinks a breakthrough in magic could be just around the corner.

What will be the council’s next action?

Options (Chance of success):
    A) Expand N, S, E, W
    B) Breed
    C) Research Science
    D) Research Military
    E) Research Magic
    F) Research Politics
    G) Explore the lake
    H) Hunt
    I) Put together a trade caravan and send them N, S, E, W
    J) Train an elite crusader. This crusader is about as strong as 10 regular crusaders.

@hoodiethirteen
    Nuts. I was hoping that we'd regroup outside the town and take it by force this turn. Also the politics didn't really give the great benefits I had hoped for. And now we're going hungry...

Screw food! We should get our pollinate on!

Follow the example of our spiritual ancestors, the Fishmen and breed breed breed!

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    We need to Hunt!

We can breed next turn cause the euphoria will still be there I think.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Breeding without food is suicide. We must research science regarding food technology. C. Research animal husbandry and make them piggies squeal.

/edit on second thought immediate food then breed then science food, H

Jintor on
    Fiiiiiiiiine. You and your stupid logic. You're probably the dude responsible for discovering fire.

H

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    We should kill the hemp among us and trade them

Greedy Trees with Greedy Needs after all

I'm hoping that we can use science and magic to use farmland and grow some semi-sentient and delicious plantforms. We can use these and trade them to other countries. But in reality, they sow seeds that make the local plantlife sentient as well. That way, when we invade other territories to spread the Bud, we'll have sleeper agents in place!

On the other hand, we can just breed breed breed and then send in the crusaders by command of the Holy Tree

we should have probably gotten the dang farm

let's hunt and then get the dang farm so we don't wither and die during the winter

H

faits.png
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    H, preferably the small children of that village if they stray too far despite their parents stories of the boogie-tree

Anialos on
    The people decide to hunt! What will they catch? hmmmmmmm

@hoodiethirteen
  • DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    H - We must seek out ever more challenging prey for the bud calls us to perfect ourselves through consumption!

( we should hunt wolves or razorbacks)

Dajian on
    Anialos wrote:
    H, preferably the small children of that village if they stray too far despite their parents stories of the boogie-tree

yes, we must have their delicious faces.

faits.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Lions

we need to catch Lions

and then eat the Lions

wY6K6Jb.gif
    As much as I want to devour the small infants of the giant-folk, it'll probably bite us back in the ass after we breed.

Imagining that the giants will come to our grove and burn our defenseless babies with their evil flames.

solution: don't eat the asses

then we won't have asses for them to bite.

but then how will we poop (this is a quandary)

faits.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    oh man

this thread isn't run by someone who cares about everything too much

sweet

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Spread the word, Tommy! The more the merrier!

These things always get more entertaining when the "smart" option is rarely used.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    agreed

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Putting together a list of things to hunt. Prey will be determined by dice roll.

1) Wild pig/boar
    2) Deer
    3) Bear
    4) Wolves
    5) Elk
    6) Humans (the most dangerous game)
    7) Lion
    8) some random thing that you need to fill in here

@hoodiethirteen
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Majestic elk, leaping through the underbrush.

Then the underbrush pulls it back in.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Basically, decide what awesome/superlame animal you want to possibly hunt. I already included lions.

@hoodiethirteen

need to grow some rad racks.

faits.png
    I mean we should probably hunt some type animal that we can capture and put on our farm when we get it but who cares I want antlers.

faits.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular

wY6K6Jb.gif
    why are there lions in this biome

I feel like this is a trap

faits.png
    sorry, i mean i just need you to give me an 8th animal. i'll decide which animal you successfully hunted with a dice roll.

you don't get to choose which animal you're gonna eat YET

@hoodiethirteen
    edited September 2011
    8) Unicorns!
    Second choice would be Elk

Atari Soul on
    edited September 2011
    oh ok then the 8th animal should be more elk.

faits on
    faits.png
    or maybe emu. then we could have an emu farm.

faits.png