As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 9-7-11: Let's Glide

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Graphic Violence
Static Shock #1, definitely a Spider-Man inspired book. Think if Peter Parker used his intelligence a lot more as a kid, and Iron Man was his mentor a lot earlier in his career. Plus, he fights villains who shoot laser CD's. It's a really fun book, Virgil's got a confidence that comes from being a hero, and the art is great, looks like McDaniel is going for more expressive faces:

corel301-Copy.jpg

corel301.jpg

corel303-Copy.jpg

Atomic Robo: Ghost of Station X sets up the story more than other AR stories, but still some fun lines about either reaching technological nirvana or becoming Thunderdome.

corel298.jpg

TexiKen on

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    JLI 1 is my MOTW, mostly cause Jurgens signed my copy in person!

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Let me start by saying you need to pick up New Avengers Annual. You need to.
    Simon Williams, aka Wonder Man, is putting together a team of former heroes and anti-heroes to take down each Avenger team one team at a time. The New Avengers get hit first.
    Revengers1.jpg
    Revengers2.jpgRevengers3.jpg

That was fucking Atlas, former Thunderbolt and bad ass dude! The rest of the team is Anti-Venom, D-Man, Ethan Edwards, Goliath (the new one, the nephew of the guy killed during Civil War), Devil-Slayer, Century, Captain Ultra, and Wonder Man himself. They beat the shit out of the New Avengers.

I look forward to these New Avengers annual issues every year, they are action packed and never let you down.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Spider-Island I love NY was an awesome little anthology. Skottie Young's Spider-Cat well worth the price of admission.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Spider-Island: Avengers was fantastic. You've got a spider-powered Hawkeye, who can't control his spider-powers whatsoever, at one point rooting himself to the ground, a delusional Frog-Man who still manages to be pretty effective, and Squirrel Girl finally meeting the only enemy she can't defeat; a spider-powered Danielle Cage.

It's a ton of fun. If you're looking for a good, self-contained issue to pick up this week, go grab it.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    My moment of the week is all that money we made off of the new DC stuff at the store I work at.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote:
    My moment of the week is all that money we made off of the new DC stuff at the store I work at.

You should elaborate in a post be it here or another thread, very curious to hear how things went. If more people showed up. Reaction overall. What sells were like etc.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    Algertman wrote:

You should elaborate in a post be it here or another thread, very curious to hear how things went. If more people showed up. Reaction overall. What sells were like etc.

Everything was crazy as soon as we opened the door. We had people waiting to grab stuff off the wall because of the Batgirl Ebay story so they wanted their stuff right then and there. Not that big a deal on that part. Problem was the pull list. We had so many people update their pull list today after we pulled everything through e-mail/phone/facebook/whatever. It was non-stop for the first three hours of the day with another employee taking care of that. We tried to explain for the last month for people to please update their pull so everything would be taken care of. A lot of people did not do this so it all hit today. Then for the rest of the day I was constantly checking the computer because that stuff was coming all day long. We even had to make a post on facebook to tell people not to update their list on our wall because people were responding to our status and asking us to pull books for them. After all that settled I taped that DC release list card on the counter and was asking every person what books they wanted so we could do our best to make sure people got everything they wanted. It was a mad house all day long for 11 hours non-stop but I did my best stay on top of things and for the most part everyone who has a pull list got what they wanted. I feel bad for the people who couldn't get the stuff they wanted because I do my best to please everyone. I know I'm pretty much considered a troll sometimes around here but out in the real world I love comic books and want everyone to read them and enjoy them. They are my life and I wouldn't trade that for anything. We ordered crazy high on everything and still sold out of most of it. We have a few dozen Action, which will be gone by Saturday at the latest, and nice amount of JLI which will also be gone plus a few odd issues of stuff.

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    I honestly hope the new DCU can sustain this momentum. The comics industry needs a big shot in the arm right now.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Really I am super happy with this first week of DCnU titles

I picked up 8 titles today and disliked only one of them. That is a pretty fantastic ratio for first issues.

CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote:
    Cade wrote:
    Algertman wrote:

Everything was crazy as soon as we opened the door. We had people waiting to grab stuff off the wall because of the Batgirl Ebay story so they wanted their stuff right then and there. Not that big a deal on that part. Problem was the pull list. We had so many people update their pull list today after we pulled everything through e-mail/phone/facebook/whatever. It was non-stop for the first three hours of the day with another employee taking care of that. We tried to explain for the last month for people to please update their pull so everything would be taken care of. A lot of people did not do this so it all hit today. Then for the rest of the day I was constantly checking the computer because that stuff was coming all day long. We even had to make a post on facebook to tell people not to update their list on our wall because people were responding to our status and asking us to pull books for them. After all that settled I taped that DC release list card on the counter and was asking every person what books they wanted so we could do our best to make sure people got everything they wanted. It was a mad house all day long for 11 hours non-stop but I did my best stay on top of things and for the most part everyone who has a pull list got what they wanted. I feel bad for the people who couldn't get the stuff they wanted because I do my best to please everyone. I know I'm pretty much considered a troll sometimes around here but out in the real world I love comic books and want everyone to read them and enjoy them. They are my life and I wouldn't trade that for anything. We ordered crazy high on everything and still sold out of most of it. We have a few dozen Action, which will be gone by Saturday at the latest, and nice amount of JLI which will also be gone plus a few odd issues of stuff.

I am excited to hear that, Algertman.

Just to chime in, I was talking to the clerk at my LCS and she also said that she had tons of new people in today, as well as the regulars and some who she hadn't seen in awhile. She said it was their busiest day in a long time. Maybe DC really made the right decision here. I guess we'll see how things are holding up after another two months.

Haven't read any of my books yet, though.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Seconding Spider-Island: Avengers, was half expecting this week's Motw to be called "Avengers YAY"
    Someone should scan that panel, I'll try as well when I get home, but my scanner's been uppity lately.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Let me start by saying you need to pick up New Avengers Annual. You need to.
    Simon Williams, aka Wonder Man, is putting together a team of former heroes and anti-heroes to take down each Avenger team one team at a time. The New Avengers get hit first.
    Revengers1.jpg
    Revengers2.jpgRevengers3.jpg

That was fucking Atlas, former Thunderbolt and bad ass dude! The rest of the team is Anti-Venom, D-Man, Ethan Edwards, Goliath (the new one, the nephew of the guy killed during Civil War), Devil-Slayer, Century, Captain Ultra, and Wonder Man himself. They beat the shit out of the New Avengers.

I look forward to these New Avengers annual issues every year, they are action packed and never let you down.

Two things: why is that happening, and give it to me.

H9f4bVe.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Have they explained what brought about this change in Wonder Man? He talks about how it seems really out of character for him... and it does. They've been building up to it for a while but I'm not really clear on what made him decide that the Avengers are pure evil.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm going to blame Purple Man.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:
    Have they explained what brought about this change in Wonder Man? He talks about how it seems really out of character for him... and it does. They've been building up to it for a while but I'm not really clear on what made him decide that the Avengers are pure evil.

Honestly, although the issue was cool, it didn't make much sense at all. He goes off and highlights the 5 biggest disasters in the Marvel U and shows that they were all the Avengers' fault. All of the characters I was familiar with were written completely out of character - Anti-Venom especially.

Also, I didn't get Wonderman's plan. "I hate the Avengers so I'm gonna fucking kill'em! Kinda."

edited September 2011
    When they confronted Simon after the main Avengers' first mission through time Iron Man remarked that it looked as if his energy readings were unstable. His actions may be a by-product of his power's growing instability. The point is he may not be a well man right now, no certainly checked up on him after he got out of Rikers.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    He also spent most if not all of Dark Reign in prison with his brother. He then got out somehow (Because Cap is a bleeding heart communist) just as the Heroic Age began to yell at Cap.

Prison ... Changes a man ...

When they confronted Simon after the main Avengers' first mission through time Iron Man remarked that it looked as if his energy readings were unstable. His actions may be a by-product of his power's growing instability. The point is he may not be a well man right now, no certainly checked up on him after he got out of Rikers.

That still doesn't explain why all the other guys joined up with him.

I will say though, Wonder Man would be a pretty cool addition to the Thunderbolts. The guy's just been drifting around for a while now, and that could a neat way to go.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I remember when Norman was in charge Simon was on a talk show and despite everyone loving Norman at that time saying how great he was Simon basically said the guy was a slime ball and when the shit came flying down everyone deserved the crap they got for supporting him and his Avengers. Maybe it's a continuation of that some how?

edited September 2011
    Munch wrote:

That still doesn't explain why all the other guys joined up with him.

I will say though, Wonder Man would be a pretty cool addition to the Thunderbolts. The guy's just been drifting around for a while now, and that could a neat way to go.

Wonder Man on the Thunderbolts would be pretty cool, but I'd like him better on Osborn's Dark Avenger team . That would really illustrate on how far he's fallen and how low he's willing to sink in order to prove his point.

As to why everyone else is on the team? It's just as simple as that they genuinely believe what Simon is saying (outwardly anyway), but they also must have their own reasons as well, which can be explained if you know all their backgrounds. On some level, most of them have reasons to believe in what Simon is saying through their own personal experiences, but in reality Bendis just nabbed them because they have certain foils and counters to the powers of current Avengers.

Cade wrote:
    I remember when Norman was in charge Simon was on a talk show and despite everyone loving Norman at that time saying how great he was Simon basically said the guy was a slime ball and when the shit came flying down everyone deserved the crap they got for supporting him and his Avengers. Maybe it's a continuation of that some how?

I've always thought that. After Simon was put in Rikers by Osborn he languished there for over a year, and all he did was try and kidnap Osborn and maybe force a confession out of him on how he was gaming the system. Meanwhile, Clint Barton tries to assassinate Osborn and within the hour he is rescued by his wife and other Avengers after he gets caught. I'd be bitter too.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited September 2011
    Gah. I'll save my comments about NA Annual to the bitching thread. I skimmed it. Didn't buy it. Didn't buy a lot of things I wanted. But this is what I did buy today, plus my DCBS order finally arrived:
    • Atomic Robo 6.1
    • Daredevil 1
    • Daredevil 2
    • Fear Itself: Alpha Flight 3
    • Hulk 38
    • Hulk 39
    • Journey Into Mystery 625
    • Journey Into Mystery 626
    • Journey Into Mystery 626.1
    • Thunderbolts 161
    • Thunderbolts 162
    • Thunderbolts 163
    • Mystic 1 (Almost bought 2, but I was waiting for 1 to arrive)
    • Secret Avengers 15 (I'm a sucker for Black Widow)
    • Secret Avengers 16 (... And Jamie McKelvie)
    • Secret Six 36
    • Spider Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu 1
    • Superman 714
    • Animal Man 1
    • OMAC 1
    • Swamp Thing 1
    • Chew volume 3
    • Unwritten volume 3

Oh, and I forgot to pick up Rocketeer 3 and 4, which I will be doing sometime this weekend. I dropped over $80 on my LCSes today, which I feel good about for a couple of reasons (That I supported the local folks. That I can). I almost got Stormwatch and Spider Island: Avengers, but I decided to wait.

Crimsondude on
    Irredeemable #29; Kaidan reveals a secret weapon, the Survivor's days seem numbered, and the Plutonian n' Pals do some star-gazing.
    yPncB.jpg

OMAC #1; OMAC finds monsters, New Gods, and science rejects aplenty -- in his office building's basement!
    t6ssw.jpg

Punisher #3; Frank mercifully puts a C-rate villain out of their misery, and Norah Winters gets a haircut.
    8oVql.jpg

4jpgI.jpg

Spider-Island: Avengers #1; Squirrel Girl faces her greatest foe yet, and Hawkeye hates Spider-Man.
    fPXut.jpg

xfmbM.jpg

Stormwatch #1; Apollo wants no part of superheroics, the Eminence of Blades fights the moon, and Adam One's been alive so long that he's forgotten Winston Churchill's name.
    4jUrx.jpg

X-Factor #224.1; Jamie visits his childhood home, Layla still knows stuff, and apparently one dupe spent some time hanging out with Gordon Ramsay.
    sB9RX.jpg

Jdhie.jpg

Nice callback there to the time Madrox accidentally absorbed his child/dupe.

Thunderbolts #163; Boomerang's enjoying his vacation to the 1940s, Centurius is worried about accidentally swatting mosquitoes, and Hyde gets really upset when you wake him from his nap.
    sgJta.jpg

9D6nV.jpg

UP2zR.jpg

Remember, if you wake Hyde from his sexy dreams, he will fuckin' eat you.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Punisher was great.
    His first line for the series looks like a thematic continuation of Blood in the Streets, in how he uses anyone to further his cause. Given Nora's a pretty self-assured character it should be an interesting dynamic.

My semi-MotW, I was surprised to see Gambit smoking in Marvel comic released this week. But it was a "From the Vault" special thing and I don't think Quesada was going to alter posthumous art work in an issue dedicated to the said artist.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Stormwatch #1; Apollo wants no part of superheroics, the Eminence of Blades fights the moon, and Adam One's been alive so long that he's forgotten Winston Churchill's name.
    4jUrx.jpg

Woah, so are
    Ghengis Khan, Winston Churchill and Napoleon supposed to be Century Babies in the New DCU?

... No.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote:

Honestly, although the issue was cool, it didn't make much sense at all. He goes off and highlights the 5 biggest disasters in the Marvel U and shows that they were all the Avengers' fault. All of the characters I was familiar with were written completely out of character - Anti-Venom especially.

Also, I didn't get Wonderman's plan. "I hate the Avengers so I'm gonna fucking kill'em! Kinda."
    Maybe it's just me, but Bendis has written the majority of these characters out-of-character since taking over the Avengers franchise. Simon's far from the first.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Bendis writes characters the way he wants to write them, damn other writers or storylines.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    No one besides Bendis has even used Wonder Man in like the last 10 years

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    He actually had one or two miniseries(which is when he went to prison) and a guest-starring role in half of Ms. Marvel's run.

So nope.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, where's the part of his speech where he joined forces to carve giant letters in the side of the Empire State Building after being turned into a weapon by MODOK that Ms. Marvel had to stop from killing New York?

Fucking douche. This is why everyone hates Wonder Man.

Oh, oh. I forgot. One of my MOTWs: Finding a sketch Chris Giarrusso did of Great Man for me at Heroes Con.

Crimsondude on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My Motw was digging thru old longboxes, and finding a few of Mike Meyer's missing issues and sending them off.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    My Motw was digging thru old longboxes, and finding a few of Mike Meyer's missing issues and sending them off.

God, that is such a sad story what happened, and that Gary guy needs to be beaten severely.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Wonder Man would actually be pretty cool if there wasn't a number of small, independently forgiveable but collaboratively annoying features about his character that just make him seem like a goose.

Hopefully those smaller things will be tidily packed into a dustbin and the cooler things can be used more often.

Wonder Man; Booster Gold, except his blue, super-scientist best friend is still alive.

BOOM, character redeemed!

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Hercules-Senses tingling.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Wonder Man's 90s series was awesome, and he's been a great character in specific runs of Avengers titles (Byrne's AWC run, Shooter's run, Busiek's run, etc).

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Wonder Man would actually be pretty cool if there wasn't a number of small, independently forgiveable but collaboratively annoying features about his character that just make him seem like a goose.

Hopefully those smaller things will be tidily packed into a dustbin and the cooler things can be used more often.

This is highly unlikely.

If a character is going to be salvaged than the longer they're in the lame zone the harder it is to dig them out.

For instance, Red Hulk has only been around for like what, three or four years? And it took Parker a few months to redeem the character.

Hank Pym's been awful since the early 70's and no one has managed to elevate him past the lame zone either.

Wonder Man is doomed to be forever terrible.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Furu wrote:
    Solar wrote:

This is highly unlikely.

If a character is going to be salvaged than the longer they're in the lame zone the harder it is to dig them out.

For instance, Red Hulk has only been around for like what, three or four years? And it took Parker a few months to redeem the character.

Hank Pym's been awful since the early 70's and no one has managed to elevate him past the lame zone either.

Wonder Man is doomed to be forever terrible.

You need to read the Byrne Avengers West Coast run, Furu. And Busiek's Avengers run.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Hank Pym is not a terrible character

I feel like I need to have this argument far too much

7656367.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hank Pym is terrible

It's just that he is terrible in the very best of ways

And is a great character to read about