As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    I keep hitting ESC to close my inventory... Stop it, Zack!

Haha, guess what:
    Wow! What a week. All of the keys on our keyboards have worn down to nubs from typing up a billion emails, forum posts, interviews and whatnot. But we’ve been doing something else too besides banging on our keyboards: we released a game! If you didn’t grab Legend of Grimrock during the pre-order, you can still get it with a 10% discount for a limited time. Regardless of all the release-related hassle, we have got some “actual” work done too. Possibly most importantly, we have started working on the first patch of the game (version 1.1.4) which mostly concentrates on some compatibility enhancements and fixing some bugs and exploits. Here’s the current list of improvements:

- vsync is enabled by default
    - borderless windows are no longer topmost
    - pressing ESC closes character sheet
    - fixed unlimited frost arrow exploit
    - bug fix: topmost menu item don’t work reliably in 2560×1440 resolution
    - bug fix: wall text translations are not dismissed when right-clicking
    - bug fix: inanimate objects can be backstabbed
    - bug fix: projectiles go through doors in some very rare cases
    - improved display resolution auto-detection at first launch
    - fixed a couple of typos
    - removed check that disables high texture resolution setting when running low on video memory (some graphics drivers seem to report available video memory incorrectly)

The work still continues and the list will grow longer so if you want to see the current status of the update you can check out the first post in this thread which is updated as progress is made. Our current estimation is that the patch will probably go live during next week. Also if you want a cool looking Legend of Grimrock DVD box sitting on your shelf, Juho made some nice box graphics that you can print out and slip in an empty DVD cover:

Oh yeah, we’ve had many inquiries on how the sales have been doing and, well, we couldn’t be happier with them! We were sitting solidly as the #1 Steam top seller for a while but it seems like we have now been dethroned… So if you still know anyone who might be able to help us in our struggle to regain dominance, let them know ! Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hah yeah. I woohoo'd after seeing that. Its just muscle memory at this point and I *sigh* with disappointment every time I tried in the last few days.

Decoy on
  • 13thLegion13thLegion Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Adda wrote: »
    13thLegion wrote: »
    Uh, so... anyone have any thoughts on the Pillared Hallway?
    I thought it was the one scroll thing with the directions but I suppose not... Any thoughts

You thought correctly.
    When it says slither left, you walk up the left side of the corridor and vice versa for right.

I did it right first time following the scroll so I'm unaware of how it can stop you.

Ha, I still can't get through it. Never had this much trouble with a walking puzzle before. I guess I don't know my left from my right?
    I did find a walkthrough on how to actually get into the dismantler vault, that was pretty frustrating because I thought I checked everywhere already.

edit: the first step counts where no decision counts.. blah

13thLegion on
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been referring to the fact that Vitality and Will Power keep getting better and better the further you go into the game, while the other statistics are as effective as they were when you began play. I probably shouldn't have actually called them exponential though. You are right. It is the wrong term.

You got me on resistances. As far as I've been able to tell, Evasion only increases at two per a point from 11 to 12 and upwards. I haven't seen it hit 3 per a point at 20. Perhaps it does happens later. but to gain that much Dexterity you will need to rely on equipment or bonuses from skills. I think VIT probably gives you more EHP against things other than fire/shock, even if you ignore its own resistances.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Eh. Vit does give you more the later you get in the game, but its the diff between 14 and 16 vit in terms of % is greater than the diff between 16 and 18 vit. In terms of HP.

Don't get me wrong you should still be pumping vit. But willpower really isn't that valuable, you will have plenty of energy unless you're a mage and even then you don't need to go insectoid*

My level 10 human mage w/ modified 24 willpower has 140 energy and 100 HP. 4 more Willpower would only be 46 more energy. Enough for maybe one more iceball (but mana is so plentiful anyway not really worried)

wbBv3fj.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Go get it! Only a drop in the well with all those 10s of millions of Cthulu-related bucks you've made!

:P

Magus` on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fun bug: First iron door I cam across, I threw my recently acquired iron shield at. Shield ended up behind the door...

(They had the same pattern on them, so I figured, what the heck...)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This game looks so good.

Must...remain...strong.

Its really really good. They took classic the classic gameplay and made it really really shiny. Both in terms of how the game handles and in terms of how the game looks; and the game looks fantastic. Since there aren't all that many enemies and only a handful of wall/ceiling pieces everything is modeled/textured fabulously. And despite the repetition you won't really notice it (as you're hunting for the things that are just slightly off)

The puzzles are well designed. A lot of them are tough, but they are all logical*. In that the game will show you where you need to go, or what you need to do and then you have to figure out how to get it done. This makes it really satisfying to solve them

*With a few exceptions; Some secrets are simply finding a hidden switch.

E.G. Spoiler
    So on floor 4 if you fall down the pits there is a grate that you can't get past. Well, if you look at where you fall down in floor 4 you can see where that corresponds in floor 5 where the grate is. If you search floor 5 you won't be able to find that either but there are pits. If you align the pits on floor 5 with where they come out in floor 6 you will find the general area where you have to search for stairs UP on floor six in order to get to the area you discovered by falling in a pit on floor 4

This is a lot easier with automapping on. But possible without, since floors are stacked directly on top of each other. So you can place pits by stacking up your graph paper of each floor and aligning the start locations

Probably not a problem for you, but if you found that you could not get into a lot of the old dungeon crawlers because of clunky ui and poor graphics then this game is for you.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mmm, UI so good and the graphics are beautifully atmospheric, those spiders man! I litterally yelled out "Fuck!" and clicked the wrong mouse button, removing one of my warriors weapons when I met my first one.

Then later, my daughter was helping me look at the walls for secret buttons, then my wife jumped into the door frame to the room - AAAAAAHHH!! my daughter screamed so good, we fell over laughing. LOL, this game is too much fun in game and IRL. :D

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I decided to restart my game without a mage. I'm rocking two warriors up front, both with Heavy Armor skills, one focusing on swords one on axes. In the back row, I have a rogue focusing on thrown weapons, and I have a rogue that powered his way up to the 12 point assassination talent that allows him to attack from the back row, and now he's focusing on daggers. It's working pretty well so far.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    My mage was my MVP when I stumbled on the 4x undead spearmen unit. How are you mageless folks going to tackle those?

captaink on
    captaink wrote: »
    My mage was my MVP when I stumbled on the 4x undead spearmen unit. How are you mageless folks going to tackle those?

Already tackled them, I'm at the end of the third floor. Lots of strafing. Looooots of strafing.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Stick and move.

• Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    I decided to restart my game without a mage. I'm rocking two warriors up front, both with Heavy Armor skills, one focusing on swords one on axes. In the back row, I have a rogue focusing on thrown weapons, and I have a rogue that powered his way up to the 12 point assassination talent that allows him to attack from the back row, and now he's focusing on daggers. It's working pretty well so far.
    Why would you do that?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    Question!

How do you use the Cave nettle (I think that's what it's called), that rare herb that it says will totally help you heal but... well, I have no idea how to use it.

Oh, and I've never played games like these and I'm totally hooked. It's simply a good game. I've been toying with the idea of making a team composed of two wizards and two facepunching lizardmen. Can't wait to try it out.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    In level 2, I am having some serious difficulty in beating those knights or whatever in that death trap. If only I could move back - but the door locks behind me.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Question!

How do you use the Cave nettle (I think that's what it's called), that rare herb that it says will totally help you heal but... well, I have no idea how to use it.

Oh, and I've never played games like these and I'm totally hooked. It's simply a good game. I've been toying with the idea of making a team composed of two wizards and two facepunching lizardmen. Can't wait to try it out.

On level 2 (I think) you can find a sack with
    a mortar and pestle, along with a scroll describing how to make healing and poison curing potions. Cave Nettles and Tar Beads can be mixed with the mortar to make potions.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Snarkman3 wrote: »
    Question!

You'll find a mortar and pestle that you can make potions with later.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    XX55XX wrote: »
    In level 2, I am having some serious difficulty in beating those knights or whatever in that death trap. If only I could move back - but the door locks behind me.

Well you could
    Stand in the hallway and throw a rock in to trigger the trap. Then open the door and fight them one on one in the hallway.

McHoger on
    Why would you do that?

Because I don't like the feel of mages in this game, I feel like they're not as good at dealing damage as rogues, and I don't like inputting the spell combos. I haven't hard any difficulties so far :)

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    First fight of floor 4, first total party wipeout. Didn't realize how much damage was being spread around because the hp bars were covered by hit indicators.
    even on easy that is nasty. Did manage to beat it by running around the room throwing every ranged item i had.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

Well you could
    Stand in the hallway and throw a rock in to trigger the trap. Then open the door and fight them one on one in the hallway.

Good idea. I'll try that later.

How many levels are there in this game?

Madpanda wrote: »
    First fight of floor 4, first total party wipeout. Didn't realize how much damage was being spread around because the hp bars were covered by hit indicators.
    even on easy that is nasty. Did manage to beat it by running around the room throwing every ranged item i had.

My first time (using the default party) that room was absolute murder. I lost my Rogue and Mage before the fight was even halfway over.

My current playthrough with a custom party? Frostbolt trivializes it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Also remember, you can hit monsters when they are moving into a tile before they can attack you back.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So, I stepped into floor 6 and completely bitchslapped the first fight.

./smug

Then explored another room filled with spider eggs and got eaten alive.

./sadface

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Oh sure now people speak up about the entrance to floor 4. On my 4th attempt i managed to stumble across the fireball pattern and learned how to attack then slide to take minimal damage. Its actually a shame that you can work your way past everything else up to that point without the attack>move away combo.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    So now I'm stuck again. Level 3/4:
    I found a way down a level that said it was a secret - there was a golden key there. On the lower level there's a statue with a "feed me" message next to it. I've tried putting everything I can think of its mouth, no dice. There's a mazelike place with a bunch of slimes that I just don't think I'm strong enough to get through.

What's more, I feel like I'm not done with level 3... there's another puzzle up there where it looks like I have to raise a grate so that an portal-style energy ball can reach its target, but I can't see how to raise the grate. Also I killed about a bazillion spiders.

FINALLY, I hear there's a bow somewhere on level 3, but I haven't found it....

Made it to floor 5 with my 2 warrior + 2 rogue party setup. The final part of floor 4 was really tough, but I made it through by closing the door from the entrance on the things and sleeping every time I got low on health.

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So I thought the "double throw" perk would be a random proc you get like with the melee ones. It isn't :D My 4 skulls mintoaur, axe throwing rogue just got double the awesome

Also, floor 10
    I went through that whole floor and down to the Prison before I figured out that you can break through the Mind Flayer shields... D:

Going back for that sweet exp

Foolish Chaos on
    So now I'm stuck again. Level 3/4:
    I found a way down a level that said it was a secret - there was a golden key there. On the lower level there's a statue with a "feed me" message next to it. I've tried putting everything I can think of its mouth, no dice. There's a mazelike place with a bunch of slimes that I just don't think I'm strong enough to get through.

What's more, I feel like I'm not done with level 3... there's another puzzle up there where it looks like I have to raise a grate so that an portal-style energy ball can reach its target, but I can't see how to raise the grate. Also I killed about a bazillion spiders.

FINALLY, I hear there's a bow somewhere on level 3, but I haven't found it....

For the first part:
    The "Feed Me" statue item is at the end of the slime maze. It's a standalone area, otherwise not connected to level 4. Slimes are strong but not insurmountable, and you can always close the door and go back to a crystal on level 3.

For the second part:
    The bow is very near the start of level 3. That first room where you saw a Skeleton archer and two pits between a pillar and a gate with goodies? Look for a switch in that room and solve the small puzzle and you'll get a bow.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Ahahahah level 6, jesus christ
    First time I went down there, immediately got surrounded by 3 spiders + an ogre. Instant death, I love this game.

I've been running to the left in the "walkabout" area every time I try it now, seems to be going pretty well. The ogre is giving me a bit of trouble, since he can 2 or3 shot my tanks. I've been having him charge past me and trying to backstab / throw things at him.

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Madpanda wrote: »

Very interesting UI problem... but perhaps it is deliberate? When you are seriously injured you often don't immediately feel it because of shock.

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Ahahahah level 6, jesus christ
    First time I went down there, immediately got surrounded by 3 spiders + an ogre. Instant death, I love this game.

I've been running to the left in the "walkabout" area every time I try it now, seems to be going pretty well. The ogre is giving me a bit of trouble, since he can 2 or3 shot my tanks. I've been having him charge past me and trying to backstab / throw things at him.

Hit, strafe, repeat. Hit him while he's crossing between squares. He has a fuckton of hitpoints and armor.

So I just got double throw too. You know what a throwing strength Rogue does with double throw, 8 ninja stars and 8 throwing knives?

Whatever the fuck she wants, apparently :P

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »

Well you could

Good idea. I'll try that later.

How many levels are there in this game?
    For that one, I just stood on the switch, waited for the first skeleton to come out and booked it to the little cubby he came out of so I could take them one-on-one.

McHoger's idea is probably safer, but I didn't have any problems really.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Tomb of Designers
    I can't seem to figure out how to get past the hallway. Pressing the two buttons on the far side, and then going back to the first button raises the doors. But of course at this point you are on the other side of the pressure plate!

• AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Tomb of Designers
    I can't seem to figure out how to get past the hallway. Pressing the two buttons on the far side, and then going back to the first button raises the doors. But of course at this point you are on the other side of the pressure plate!
    That one was annoying. Press the first button then move to the far door setting off the trap on your way and press the other two.

That's what eventually worked for me anyway.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I read this thread and now I guess I have to buy this game don't I?

I just wanted you guys to know that you're horrible enablers and I dislike you all.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    Adda wrote: »
    Tomb of Designers
    That one was annoying. Press the first button then move to the far door setting off the trap on your way and press the other two.

That's what eventually worked for me anyway.
    Bah, I've tried that multiple times already

There's probably a specific sequence it wants.

edit:
    Figured it out. So you actually have to step on the pressure pad, and go back and press the first button then the other two. I was pressing the first button before going on the pressure pad originally.

Foolish Chaos on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why would you do that?

Because I don't like the feel of mages in this game, I feel like they're not as good at dealing damage as rogues, and I don't like inputting the spell combos. I haven't hard any difficulties so far :)

<3

Spawnbroker, welcome to the club, we have a knife throwing competition over in that corner, a archer contest in the other, and we don't go in that dark corner (psst, we totally do). Have a complimentary shuriken on the house!

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png