Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Canadian Cell phone providers - Sim Card only / Pay as you Go

cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've managed to get my UK iPhone4 legally unlocked by my service provider so that I can use it next month when I emigrate to Canada. That said - which of the service providers will be able to give me a sim card for the phone - preferably pay as you go - with a data plan? I am assuming that because I'll have no credit whatsoever, I won't be able to get a monthly contract with data plan... but I don't know. I've heard of Rogers, and Bell, but I don't know which other cell service providers there are in British Columbia?

steam_sig.png
cmsamo on

• BombchelleBombchelle Registered User
    The other "big" provider is Telus. Some of the "discount" brands in Canada include WIND Mobile, Fido, Koodo and Mobilicity, there are a couple others that I can't remember the names. Not really sure what you can find for just data most, seem to be voice + data right now. The "discount" brands will probably be your best bet though since you have a phone already. Also, all the "discount" brands except WIND are currently owned by one of the "big" providers.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Virgin Mobile is another company (I think most of their coverage is centered around BC, so they should work for you) and is mainly pay-as-you-go, but I have no clue what their data plans are like because I'm just using phone and text (they're one of the cheapest if you don't use your phone much). I think they're pretty good on those plans too, from what I've heard. If you're fully pay-as-you-go and have no monthly plan (on any of these providers), you can still use data, just probably at very unimpressive rates. I dunno what your concern is about getting a monthly plan (you don't need to have any sort of credit score to get a plan here, far as I know? Is that what you were worried about?), but I really doubt that'll be a problem, and I'm pretty sure most of the monthly plans act like pay-as-you-go anyway unless you get a contract. As for the other brands, I've locally heard of all of those except Mobilicity (I'm in Victoria, and I don't think they operate here, dunno about the mainland), but I don't know much about their plans. Go take a look at their websites and see what they show online? And check their coverage before you sign up, too, so that you can pick the best company for anywhere you plan to travel to.

• cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. @Essee yeah, I was told that to get a monthly plan I would most likely be credit checked. Since I don't have any credit I would most likely fail. I'll maybe send a couple of questions to each of the main providers and see what they suggest

steam_sig.png
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Oh hey, looks like SpeakOut Canada now has SIM cards, that might be a good choice for you if there's a 7-11 near where you'll be living. I don't know how good the data rates are, but here's the info: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phones/speakout-sim-card

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    I use Fido (different province than ya) and city coverage is dandy, rural areas though suck. It's owned by Rogers, so they have the same issue. Koodo has really been advertising their butts off lately, but I don't know anyone signed up with them. I've heard a fair number of complaints about Telus from previous BC'ers.

• EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    Oh hey, looks like SpeakOut Canada now has SIM cards, that might be a good choice for you if there's a 7-11 near where you'll be living. I don't know how good the data rates are, but here's the info: http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/phones/speakout-sim-card
    I use Speakout for my cell. Aside from the cost of the SIM, their rates amount to 25c per minute, and 25c per minute LD. If I remember correctly, you can enable data for 10$ a month, but your speed'll be crap because it's not really intended for smartphone use. There's a 'fan' site and forum run here. You may be able to find some information on their forums regarding compatibility of Speakout SIM cards and the Iphone 4, as well as data availability. They also host a few forums for other Canada prepaid cell companies, so that might be helpful too.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote:
    I use Speakout for my cell. Aside from the cost of the SIM, their rates amount to 25c per minute, and 25c per minute LD. If I remember correctly, you can enable data for 10$ a month, but your speed'll be crap because it's not really intended for smartphone use. There's a 'fan' site and forum run here. You may be able to find some information on their forums regarding compatibility of Speakout SIM cards and the Iphone 4, as well as data availability. They also host a few forums for other Canada prepaid cell companies, so that might be helpful too.

Well, it looks like SpeakOut is selling a smartphone as of a couple days ago, so data might be ok now. I'm sure those forums will be a good place to find out.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.