Options

[DnD 4e PbP] Vale of Buried Shadows (OOC #2)

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Perception: 1d20+4 10

Nature: 1d20+9 15

I figured I was trained in Nature now, and wanted to show it off.

I still sucked. :D

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Last Sight Vision actually requires a roll for its duration, so whenever you're up to it. Also, if other folks want to add an Aid Another to that ritual they can feel free (although it's Arcana, so you know, Snarl crack out that spare spellbook you keep in your back pocket!)

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    i think you may be overestimating snarl's level of literacy

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    What if it's an illustrated spellbook?

Characters
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Arcana Assist: Arcana: 1d20+4 19

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Dr Seuss' Illustrated Prognostication Primer?

• Options
    Man, I never updated Rakash with a theme. I think I was going to do Outlaw, for the good fit power, right?

• Options
    Good to see that Themes still aren't in the Compendium.

• Options
    Can't seem to find it online anywhere and I can't install the OCB on my phone. Can someone copy and paste it here for me?

• Options
    Linky

That was the themes list I quickly detailed back in the old thread when they were first released. They don't include errata (mostly to make everything power bonuses) nor includes the newer themes released since then which I'll quickly look at.

Characters
  • Options
    Rius, could I actually get a History check from Rakash? Your line of investigation is mildly pertinent.

Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    These are the themes not included in the above link that have been released since then:

Devil's Pawn
    Fatedancer
    Gloomwrought Emissary
    Harper Agent
    Iron Wolf Warrior
    Oghma's Faithful
    Son of Alagondar
    Spellscarred Harbinger
    Student of Evard

Of those, Iron Wolf Warrior's probably the only one (out of the new list, not including any that apply from the old list) applicable to your situation Rius as a realistic choice (the rest are mainly Neverwinter-specific themes as noted by their names) since the Warrior's theme is all about charging:
    Iron Wolf Warrior
    Starting Feature: Iron Wolf Charge (Close Burst 2, No Action, Encounter) - Trigger: You hit with a charge attack. Effect: Enemy hit takes 1d6 extra damage and you make a Close Burst 2 attack targeting Will that pushes enemies hit 2 squares and gives them a -2 attack rolls until EONT.
    Utility 2: Savage Effort (Minor Action) - Roll twice for Athletics & Endurance checks until end of encounter.
    Encounter 3: Wolf's Rend (Melee, Standard Action, Encounter) - Reflex attack that deals ability mod damage and knocks prone. You then make a secondary attack against the same target, targeting AC and dealing 2[W]+mod damage. If you hit with both attacks you can shift 2 squares.
    Level 5 Feature: +2 power bonus to Nature & Perception.
    Utility 6: Savage Tenacity (Reaction) - Trigger: When an adjacent enemy shifts a square. Effect: You shift a square adjacent to them and gain +2 power bonus to next attack against them.
    Encounter 7: Wolf's Bound (Melee, No Action, Encounter) - Trigger: You hit with a melee attack. Effect: Knock the enemy prone and shift 3 squares. Then you make a secondary attack against a different target, targeting AC and dealing 2[W]+mod damage, pushing 2 squares and giving them -2 attack rolls until EONT.
    Level 10 Feature: When you drop below 1 hit point, you can take a free action to make a basic attack against that enemy before you begin dying.
    Utility 10: Savage Resurgence (Reaction) - Trigger: When you become bloodied or have a crit scored against you. Effect: Gain temp hp equal to your level+highest mod. While you have temp hp you gain +2 power bonus to melee attacks.

-Levels 13, 17, 23, & 27 also have encounters but they are scaled up versions of the previous two encounter powers from level 3 & 7.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm out and about, currently; can you roll that History for me?

Iron Wolf actually looks pretty cool, especially since I'm considering some Warrior multiclass. The encounter powers are fantastic and would easily flavor for Rakash.

Thanks for this!

Rius on
  • Options
    Yeah, Iron Wolf easily beats Outlaw. Debuffs, pushes, lots of movement, great features and encounter powers that scale with level to help me fill weak gaps later on.

Sold.

• Options
    I could roll it:

Rakash History Check: 1d20+1 3

*cough*

Characters
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry, I had family visiting. I'll write up a post for the ritual as soon as possible!

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Obviously we're back to the choice of resting vs. continuing to pursue the (now revealed) mysterious magical stone tablet that's seemingly wanted by everyone, living or undead. Folks can discuss amongst them ICly if you favour a particular course of action or not, plus any more investigations of the immediate area that anyone wants to partake in.

And as a word of warning, I go into surgery tomorrow morning (I have another hole in my ear) so expect me to be out of commission for pretty much tomorrow (I hope they don't keep me all day at the damn hospital, it's at most an hour long surgery).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Good luck with the surgery!

Also, neat effect with everyone seeing the ritual. That lets everyone participate rather than needing another post from me to relay the information. :D

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Vhat is zee shtone?

Vhat is zee shtone, Dr Jones.

I was all for chasing bandits and catching them before the Fens; I am less for chasing undead frogs into them. How close do we suppose they are? I doubt they'll stop to rest any time soon; we might not have much choice.

• Options
    Yeah - the undead bullywug angle is making me think that following without rest is more dangerous, but also more necessary.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Judging by the how recent the battle is, you would all figure only a few hours at the most, possibly less if they're carting around the stone.

Then again it's a swamp (which they're presumably familiar with), they're undead and don't need to eat/breath/sleep, and the Fens are likely not the most navigable of places.

Also, fuck Demoral. My ear is perfectly fine after getting out of hospital but I feel like I've just had leg surgery because I can't bloody walk anywhere after they stabbed me in the thigh :(

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Glad you're doing ok, Demoral pains notwithstanding.

We should be able to press on, we have enough tracking/nature skills between 3 of the 5 of us. But yea, it definitely could be more dangerous. But! Even if they are undead, there should be less of them now thanks to the bandits.

• Options
    Good to hear stuff went well, other than the demoral. Ow.

Let's get some IC discussion on what to do. :D

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I've been meaning to post the update for Atherton's reading of Lyedyn's mud paintings, but been sidetracked by a presentation I have to give for a class tomorrow that's been eating up much of my time. Since people are pressing off after the undead frogs, that update will comprise moving forward as well!

Minor Spoiler: Everyone will level up after the next encounter. Hurray, level 6.

Characters
  • Options
    soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    Oh man, level 6 druid utilities...

I could give Atherton a +1 to attack, +2 to int skill checks and a free skill training all day, every day.

Or I could make somebody invisible for a round every encounter (but they can't move while invisible... so maybe not quite as useful?)

Or an immediate interrupt for resist 10 all.

The choices!

• Options
    Here I was all ready to go "Aha! A language Atherton doesn't know!" and then I double-checked and am now "Nope, has that one too."

Characters
  • Options
    Gonna do some serious looking at Rakash's future as an offtank

• Options
    As noted in the post, pick a square along the southern edge on dry land. Snarl if he wants can start in the tree square to the east if he wants to start the encounter Hidden (though that will only last for round 1).

Also something I haven't been asking but I suppose that I should: will Lyedyn be starting in Beast Form?

Characters
  • Options
    I'll start in beast form. Unless we're surprised somewhere where I wouldn't be in beast form (ie, wandering a city), I think that it can be assumed I'll beast it up.

• Options
    Cool, fixed in status.

Also, Daily Power Checklist!

Atherton - Out of Daily Powers
    Rakash - Out of Daily Powers (still has Time Link item daily available)
    Aidan - Vengeful Blood Spirits Available (Brooch & Summer Growth item dailies available)
    Lyedyn - Both Dailies Available
    Snarl - Both Dailies Available

Characters
  • Options
    Initiative: 1d20+6 9

GODDAMNIT

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    on the bright side

many squishy necks fer stranglin'

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Initiative: 1d20+6 24

- IC post and position coming shortly.

• Options
    hey aegis

at level six would you allow me to retrain one of snarl's skills and one of his powers?

i'd like to have him trained in intimidate instead of insight

and to have disheartening strike instead of duelist's flurry

if we go by the book and just retrain one i think i'll do the skill switch

at first i was thinking insight would be useful for stuff like gambling, interrogation and surveillance

but then i remembered that for snarl all three of these things involve the forceful use of sharp objects

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Yea you can retrain whatever you'd like.

And technically you can already retroactively retrain things when you level up (ie- use your level 6 to retrain one power, then go back to level 4 and use that to retrain another, etc. all during the same level-up).

Characters
  • Options
    Atherton KNOWS ALL LANGUAGES. Seriously. Which ones do I not have on him, again?

Initiative: 1d20+2 6

Atherton KNOWS NOT HOW TO GO FIRST. But going last as a Defender is a tactical decision. Honest.

I'll start in N11, giving me the opportunity to wade into the fray at H9 and use some SWORD BURSTIN'. Maybe.

Also, I think I might be using a Channeling Shield on one of the hits against a Lizardman while reassuring them that we're on their side. Not that we are as such, we're just opposed to the undead bullywug thingers.

Nature - Monster Knowledge: 1d20+9 11

I know nothing about LEEZARDMEN, obviously.

Religion - Monster Knowledge: 1d20+10 21

Maybe a little more about the undeadywugs, though. Maybe.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Initiative: 1d20+2 10 Slow dwarf is slow.

Perception: 1d20+11 20 below passive 21, but do I see the stone?

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    Oh oh oh. I'm meant to do something Diplomatic along with my initiative, but I thought that'd be better in my first action, given that I can't really do it before combat starts? Or can I do something to sway Leeeezard-alignment before my action?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Oh man. There are some interesting L6 powers. Spur the Pack turns me into a Daily mini-Warlord, sliding me and allies around Nadia in a burst 1 Wis modifier (4) squares as a minor action. Sudden Restoration gives me Encounter save granting to 1-2 allies. Herder of Hulculmak allows us to move through enemies squares as an Encounter. Hearth Spirit is a close burst 3 that gives free 1d6 healing and lets allies use Second Wind as a minor when next to Nadia. Blessing of the Iron Tree gives me the ability daily to give a bloodied ally Resist 5 all. Leaning towards one of the first two, probably Sudden Restoration because throwing out saving throws is a useful ability to have.

Feat's probably going to be World Speaker Spirit Adept, giving us the ability to ignore difficult terrain when next to Nadia.