As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman

2»

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Ronin356 wrote:
    Superman is Iconic. If the Dark Knight movie can be a parable about post 9/11, then Superman can be more than just a guy flying in his underwear! (Post- reboot). In the philosophy of Post Modernism, anything is worthy of literary criticism, even the back of a cereal box. Why not look more in depth in what is the first superhero??

I don't think anyone's dismissing the idea using superheroes as metaphors for other things.

I think the problem is that Superman's Weaker Now, Because America's Weaker Now, is a bit simplistic. I guess it could be true, but we all know Superman's only going to get stronger, and start flying around. So does that mean that America's going to be weak for a little while, but then suddenly get stronger when it puts on armor and is drawn by Jim Lee?

Of course, you could say that by embracing his dual heritage (wearing Kryptonian battle armor) when he becomes stronger, it's a metaphor for America's strength coming from its multiculturalism.

• Options
    Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Munch wrote:
    Ronin356 wrote:
    Superman is Iconic. If the Dark Knight movie can be a parable about post 9/11, then Superman can be more than just a guy flying in his underwear! (Post- reboot). In the philosophy of Post Modernism, anything is worthy of literary criticism, even the back of a cereal box. Why not look more in depth in what is the first superhero??

I don't think anyone's dismissing the idea using superheroes as metaphors for other things.

I think the problem is that Superman's Weaker Now, Because America's Weaker Now, is a bit simplistic. I guess it could be true, but we all know Superman's only going to get stronger, and start flying around. So does that mean that America's going to be weak for a little while, but then suddenly get stronger when it puts on armor and is drawn by Jim Lee?

Of course, you could say that by embracing his dual heritage (wearing Kryptonian battle armor) when he becomes stronger, it's a metaphor for America's strength coming from its multiculturalism.

You have a point there. He could be stronger for embracing his multiculturalism, and therefore by embracing his past, it makes him stronger for the future.

Also, I would rather have Alex Ross drawn America.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/