As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moar Flies

mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic.MDRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I was out of town this past weekend and came back to find a bunch of nasties buzzing around my trash can. It's one of those stainless steel cylinder cans, and it closes/covers (although "seals" is too generous a term). Anyways, I'm pretty pissed because there wasn't really anything gross in there...usually my kitchen trash is filled with food, and on this trip it was filled with junk mail, paperwork, etc.

Anyways, I get back and find that there's oodles of them *under* the liner, somehow. I took the trash can out to the dumpster, emptied it, and a fucking biblical swarm of flies came out and started partying (glad I did this part outside). Now, however, there's some stragglers buzzing around my apartment. I've read the vinegar/dishsoap trick, and that seems to work for some? Is there anything else I need to do? Is there a more effective method, short of getting some raid and just spending my evening chasing flies? I'm in an apartment, and thus have no hose, so I'm also not sure how to clean out the trashcan/incubator that's sitting out on my porch.

mr_mich on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    The vinegar/dishsoap thing while effective for fruit flies, isn't for flies (unless flies in Austin are super smart). I've had better success with fly strips, which are these long strips of paper with sticky stuff on it, hung in areas where they like to hang out (kitchen sink, bathroom, trashcan) and near light sources. You can find these at the supermarket near where you find insect repellent/control products.

Though I've had the most success with occasional fly-hunting sessions. Make sure to really nail them as I've seen flies come back from hits that I wouldn't think anything so small could survive. Also I'd imagine using those electric fly swatter would be satisfying to use, though I've never used anything other than a rolled up magazine or towel.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I should clarify, they're not regular flies. Nor do I think they're fruit flies. My trash can was filled with these little brown, oblong shaped things. They were like a sort of tapered cylinder in shape.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    I should clarify, they're not regular flies. Nor do I think they're fruit flies. My trash can was filled with these little brown, oblong shaped things. They were like a sort of tapered cylinder in shape.

Those are maggots.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Ew. Kill it with fire?

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:
    Ew. Kill it with fire?

Nah, it's just the life cycle of the fly. Scrub out your trash can with a little bleach and clean your place and the flies should go away. They only really hang around and breed if there's food for them.

brDe918.jpg