As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Talking about Netflix

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    I am a harsh and unforgiving man and if I don't like you after an episode or two I'm going to give up on you.

Sorry Battlestar Galactica, How I Met Your Mother, Community, Dead Wood, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead, if you guys are worth watching I guess I'll never know.

You gave up on BSG after only an episode or 2? The hell?
    After the miniseries I felt no connection to the characters and no strong desire to continue

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    I am a harsh and unforgiving man and if I don't like you after an episode or two I'm going to give up on you.

Sorry Battlestar Galactica, How I Met Your Mother, Community, Dead Wood, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead, if you guys are worth watching I guess I'll never know.

Almost every show I end up liking has a shitty first few episodes, or take a few episodes to really grab me. The Office (US), 30 Rock, Community, Seinfeld, all have pretty rocky first seasons, at least at the beginning. I was ready to give up on The Wire until I was 3 or 4 episodes in. I'll usually give a show with a good reputation more leeway, but watching the pilot and the second episode of a show and then giving up is a good way to see the shittiest parts of a lot of good shows.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:

After the miniseries I felt no connection to the characters and no strong desire to continue

Out of morbid curiosity, what do you find appealing? Because you just shot down a lot of good series.

And yeah, most shows take more than a couple episodes to find their feet.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    BigBear wrote:
    skeldare wrote:
    BigBear wrote:
    Since this is a thread about Netflix, I figured I'd post about this in here.

I just got a letter in the mail telling me about some kind of settlement Netflix customers got from Wal Mart, concerning issues with their pricing and offering of service or something. I don't know, has anyone heard of this? Also, I guess there's some kind of class action lawsuit going on or something?

Yeah I got the same thing in the mail. It's a real thing.

So what happens if I just do nothing? The note says that if I don't want to be a part of the lawsuit, I have to opt out of both the Netflix Litigation Class and the Wal Mart Settlement Class by sending out a letter letting them know I want to be excluded. But if I just do nothing, what happens?

Nothing happens. You have to fill out a form and either mail it or fill it out online to get anything from the settlement.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:

Out of morbid curiosity, what do you find appealing? Because you just shot down a lot of good series.

Twin Peaks, Arrested Development, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Breaking Bad, Malcolm in the Middle, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cowboy Bebop, and the first three seasons of new Doctor Who are all great. And they all have good first episodes, except Buffy. I only stuck out Buffy because of Firefly.

(I'll add that I'm a Seinfeld fan, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen any episodes from Seinfeld's first season. Also the Community and HIMYM episodes I saw weren't from the beginning of the series.)

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:

Almost every show I end up liking has a shitty first few episodes, or take a few episodes to really grab me. The Office (US), 30 Rock, Community, Seinfeld, all have pretty rocky first seasons, at least at the beginning. I was ready to give up on The Wire until I was 3 or 4 episodes in. I'll usually give a show with a good reputation more leeway, but watching the pilot and the second episode of a show and then giving up is a good way to see the shittiest parts of a lot of good shows.

Right, but BSG is like the opposite. 33 is one of the series best. The first season is incredibly strong.

Though apparently he gave up after the miniseries. Damn crazy people.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    shryke wrote:
    wandering wrote:

Twin Peaks, Arrested Development, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Breaking Bad, Malcolm in the Middle, Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Cowboy Bebop, and the first three seasons of new Doctor Who are all great. And they all have good first episodes, except Buffy. I only stuck out Buffy because of Firefly.

(I'll add that I'm a Seinfeld fan, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen any episodes from Seinfeld's first season. Also the Community and HIMYM episodes I saw weren't from the beginning of the series.)

From that list I'm honestly surprised you dislike those other series. You'd be well off to keep going with them. You'll find yourself surprised.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:
    Right, but BSG is like the opposite. 33 is one of the series best. The first season is incredibly strong.

33 sold me on the show, for sure. Hadn't even seen the miniseries, had to drop everything and dive in. While it might be cheating, because of the miniseries, 33 might be one of the finest first episodes of any series, ever.

I find it amusing that you stuck it out through Buffy, even given Firefly. The first season is godawful...it's endured, rather than enjoyed. You might want to reconsider, in light of that show, your current policy. Because you are pretty obviously passing on a ton of great shows (like Buffy) because you're judging them by what is nearly always a show's weakest point. If somebody whose taste you trust recommends something, if you're going to bother to watch at all, you owe it to them and to yourself to give it a bit more time than that.

I mean damn, at this point why bother? If you're going to watch the first two episodes of a show and write it off, might as well save your time and not watch those two. Because the first two episodes nearly always suck, and very rarely represent the quality of the series as a whole.

I don't get the hate for Buffy S1. It's not the show's best by miles, but it's still clever and funny, even if it's rough around the edges.

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    It's ok to not like things generally. It is not ok to not like Deadwood.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    It's ok to not like things generally. It is not ok to not like Deadwood.

I stuck it out for 1 season, then gave up. Just nothing really interesting. There was no compelling reason to come back for me.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    shryke wrote:

For some reason the mini-series drove many people away. Not sure why. I enjoyed it.

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:

You gave up on Community? :shock:

Obviously streets behind.

shryke wrote:
    I don't get the hate for Buffy S1. It's not the show's best by miles, but it's still clever and funny, even if it's rough around the edges.

It's good, not great. The contrast hurts it especially when the series quality jumps several rungs with season 2, as well.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:

You gave up on Community? :shock:

Obviously streets behind.

Yeah, if theres one show on that list that demands a second chance its Community. BSG is good, but I can see how its not for everyone, same goes for HIMYM (this is easily the worst show on your list, although Ive never seen Deadwood but how bad could it be? Cowboys and f bombs? Woo!)

emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, if theres one show on that list that demands a second chance its Community. BSG is good, but I can see how its not for everyone, same goes for HIMYM (this is easily the worst show on your list, although Ive never seen Deadwood but how bad could it be? Cowboys and f bombs? Woo!)

If he didn't like Battlestar he's going to hate Deadwood.

emp123 wrote:

If he didn't like Battlestar he's going to hate Deadwood.

I wish HBO put their shit on Netflix streaming, Id love to see if I like Deadwood.

emp123 wrote:
    I wish HBO put their shit on Netflix streaming, Id love to see if I like Deadwood.

They have Masters of Horror. Though its separated into single episodes, they should have just put them into seasons like every other show.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

this is like deciding on a movie in the first five minutes

or a game after the first level

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote:

Well, can you think of a better way of doing it?

I mean, I don't get why people like Saving Private Ryan, can two hours of an old man in a graveyard be that good?

And Star Wars? No thanks, George Lucas, if I wanted to read I'd buy a comic book. Pass.

Lh96QHG.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Not liking BSG and not having seen 33 makes your opinion invalid, as it's a macrocosm for the show as a whole

emp123 wrote:

They have Masters of Horror. Though its separated into single episodes, they should have just put them into seasons like every other show.

Thats Showtime, HBO isnt allowing any of their stuff to be streamed from Netflix because it has its own streaming service (HBO Go) which you get when you subscribe to HBO, as long as your cable provider has a contract with HBO. Unfortunately, Time Warner Cable doesnt have an agreement with HBO so no HBO Go for me. I wish they did though, it would make finishing The Wire so much easier.

I really dont know why they just dont throw it on both, I assume its because they figure people will sign up for HBO to get HBO Go (which does provide you with their entire back catalog, or so they say), but they cant be getting that many people to sign up for it.

edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:
    Thats Showtime, HBO isnt allowing any of their stuff to be streamed from Netflix because it has its own streaming service (HBO Go) which you get when you subscribe to HBO, as long as your cable provider has a contract with HBO. Unfortunately, Time Warner Cable doesnt have an agreement with HBO so no HBO Go for me. I wish they did though, it would make finishing The Wire so much easier.

I really dont know why they just dont throw it on both, I assume its because they figure people will sign up for HBO to get HBO Go (which does provide you with their entire back catalog, or so they say), but they cant be getting that many people to sign up for it.

They can monopolize who gets to see the shows, which just happens to be themselves. Makes sense business-wise, but it's infuriating for customers. Plus, extra money.

Harry Dresden on
    emp123 wrote:

They can monopolize who gets to see the shows, which just happens to be themselves. Makes sense business-wise, but it's infuriating for customers. Plus, extra money.

How is it extra money though? They could get paid every time someone streams something they own from Netflix in addition to their HBO Go thing (which may or may not be available to Time Warner customers, they totally didnt notify us if it is and I'll know once I figure out my Time Warner login information); they could take advantage of a service that has over 20 million subscribers (WSJ says 21.45m streaming subscribers and 13.9m dvd subscribers, I assume theres overlap) while providing an extra service to subscribers (maybe limit HD streams to HBO Go? Or maybe just rotate what Netflix has access to?). Instead theyve decided to set up their own service, which is "free" for HBO subscribers in that its included in the cost of getting HBO, and that they dont advertise (well, they may actually advertise it on HBO, but theyre kind of preaching to the choir there and I think I saw a bilboard for it a couple months ago but I may have been imaging things). Just seems like poor business - if youre going to go for something go all the way.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    How is it extra money though? They could get paid every time someone streams something they own from Netflix in addition to their HBO Go thing (which may or may not be available to Time Warner customers, they totally didnt notify us if it is and I'll know once I figure out my Time Warner login information); they could take advantage of a service that has over 20 million subscribers (WSJ says 21.45m streaming subscribers and 13.9m dvd subscribers, I assume theres overlap) while providing an extra service to subscribers (maybe limit HD streams to HBO Go? Or maybe just rotate what Netflix has access to?). Instead theyve decided to set up their own service, which is "free" for HBO subscribers in that its included in the cost of getting HBO, and that they dont advertise (well, they may actually advertise it on HBO, but theyre kind of preaching to the choir there and I think I saw a bilboard for it a couple months ago but I may have been imaging things). Just seems like poor business - if youre going to go for something go all the way.

Currently you can only get HBO/HBO Go if you have a cable subscription. HBO has for quite some time profited off of creating high quality content that only cable companies are allowed to provide.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    That's also the major problem with HBO's business model. HBO produces content that may be worth $15 a month, but nothing is worth paying the extra $80 to the cable company just to be able to pay that $15.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    That's also the major problem with HBO's business model. HBO produces content that may be worth $15 a month, but nothing is worth paying the extra $80 to the cable company just to be able to pay that $15.

I agree. I don't doubt they'll eventually change their plan. But for now it makes perfect business sense.

emp123 wrote:

Didn't realize they made money from Netflix. Then I am confused why they don't have it there, as well.

• rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    emp123 wrote:

Didn't realize they made money from Netflix. Then I am confused why they don't have it there, as well.

They don't offer it on netflix because it would dilute their business model. HBO has great original programming, and most people already have a cable subscription. To watch an HBO series you need to subscribe to HBO for 15/month extra. If I could get all, or even some (on a rotating schedule) of HBO's original series on netflix streaming for $8/month then why would I pay another 15 for HBO? Even if it offered HD only through HBO GO it's still not worth it (to many at least) to pay an extra 15 dollars every single month.

I just imagine HBO did the math and the money netflix has offered for their catalog (entire or piecemeal) just isn't as much as they are making with their current model, especially since they launched HBO GO, which I can watch any episode and any series HBO has ever made on my ipad, which I can't even do through my cable providers "On Demand" option (assuming I still had cable).

HBO was/is a great deal, then add in HBO GO and it's super tempting. I (and based on above posts, many others) would gladly pay $15 a month for streaming access to HBO's catalog which is TINY compared to netflix's streaming catalog. This just proves it's sometimes quality over quantity.

The only reason I don't have HBO anymore is because I don't have cable tv service anymore. Like mentioned above, if I could get HBO for $15/month without having to have cable as well I'd do it.
    I have a feeling HBO is going to move in this direction before too long if they can manage it with their contracts they have with the cable companies somehow.

Crap just how HBO Go for $15/month standalone and enable hdmi cable mirroring on my ipad (it's currently disabled so you can't play HBO Go on an ipad while outputting it to a TV) and I don't even need it offered through a standard TV channel. tablet/mobile/PC and then perhaps some boxes/smart TVs just like netflix/hulu plus and I'd be all over it.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote:

Hmm, not really. If you spend 90 minutes watching a TV show (2-4 episodes depending on the format) and you're not enjoying it, that's like watching nearly an entire movie. If a full TV series is 40 hours long, it shouldn't follow the same overall structure as a 2 hour movie where it's slow to build up for the first 50% or something.

I tend to not be interested in TV shows overall due to their length, and the ambiguous formatting. Is there an arc? Is there an ending? I love movies, so it's not that I'm anti-screen, and I don't think that TV is a terrible plague. I just fall comfortably in the category of not liking tv shows.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    EggyToast wrote:
    Hmm, not really. If you spend 90 minutes watching a TV show (2-4 episodes depending on the format) and you're not enjoying it, that's like watching nearly an entire movie. If a full TV series is 40 hours long, it shouldn't follow the same overall structure as a 2 hour movie where it's slow to build up for the first 50% or something.

I tend to not be interested in TV shows overall due to their length, and the ambiguous formatting. Is there an arc? Is there an ending? I love movies, so it's not that I'm anti-screen, and I don't think that TV is a terrible plague. I just fall comfortably in the category of not liking tv shows.

I do the same thing occasionally. Though I'll give a series more time if I think it has potential.

• HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Is the Larry Sanders Show some kind of special case with HBO/Netflix? Because I remember watching it on HBO back in the day and I'm currently on season 3 of my rewatch on Netflix. Can't wait until I get to the John Stewart and David Duchovney episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't know how I could make a decision to abandon a show in 2-3 episodes unless it was obviously awful. Like, really really bad. There aren't enough shows out there to garner my interest, so I'd watch maybe 2-3 tv shows a decade using that filtering system.

mrt144 on
    mrt144 wrote:
    I don't know how I could make a decision to abandon a show in 2-3 episodes unless it was obviously awful. Like, really really bad. There aren't enough shows out there to garner my interest, so I'd watch maybe 2-3 tv shows a decade using that filtering system.

Being average quality sometimes can turn people off. If a show doesn't have good quality or potential to reach good quality I'll drop it.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Netflix streaming, imho, makes serials much much more rewarding. heroes and caprica were our most revent watches and both are totally serial. watching tng or highlander just doesnt have nearly the same draw.

Even in current on the air shows, the only ones wife and I watch are serials with one or two exceptions(whether theyre good or not is open to debate.)

Serials: vampire diaries, nakita, revenge, ringer
    hybrid: once upon a time
    episodw: grimm

Vampire Diaries is bad and you should feel bad

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I can see not giving shows a long leash if you're pressed for time.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    mrt144 wrote:
    Help us understand, mcnulty style. Or is the wire tainted too?
    I was simply annoyed by every character in Mad Men having some terrible flaw clearly leading to a horrible conflict. Main guy is cheating on his wife and dealing with shell shock. Wife was overly sheltered and beginning to realize it. Young up and comer at work has parent issues and doesn't want to accept money from his in laws. Single mother was dealing with 60s era single mother issues. Single secretary was dealing with 60s era single lady issues.

Every. Fucking. One.

I don't care for shows that do nothing but harp on the characters and their internal conflicts.

Well, that's kind of what Mad Men is, though. It's not really about politics or any kind of us-versus-them conflict everyone involved can identify with. It doesn't really have mysteries, per se. It is, mostly, historical drama, about a specific point in time and a specific kind of place in that point of time, and what different personality types with different backgrounds would do with what's thrown at them in the ethos of a cutthroat Ad Agency milieu.

I'm not telling you to like it or anything. I'm just saying, without the character conflict, there's not a lot of meat left on it for other things.

Presumably though they could have like one character who's got his shit figured out

So's Nikita. The original show was cool. After Alias, MI-5 & 24 they completely blew an opportunity to make a high quality spy show following their example. Which is a shame since Maggie Q is the star.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Netflix streaming, imho, makes serials much much more rewarding. heroes and caprica were our most revent watches and both are totally serial. watching tng or highlander just doesnt have nearly the same draw.

Even in current on the air shows, the only ones wife and I watch are serials with one or two exceptions(whether theyre good or not is open to debate.)

Serials: vampire diaries, nakita, revenge, ringer
    hybrid: once upon a time
    episodw: grimm

My wife likes it and I'm not going to deny her that. Look at that list. Can you see who controls the remote?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I can see not giving shows a long leash if you're pressed for time.

But if you're pressed for time why are you even watching the first episode? If you've got enough time that you're in the market for a new show, then any show you decide to give a chance to should get more than one or two episodes.

And fuck HBO Go. Until they get it on Xbox Live, at least. I can't get the framerate sync'd on my HTPC, so I get little frame jumps that drive me crazy, and they don't have an app on my tablet (presumably because of iPad exclusivity)...which wouldn't matter anyway, since I probably wouldn't be able to HDMI mirror it regardless. Worthless bullshit.