As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Programming Thread :: PAdev.net - Need hosting for a service of yours? Check it out.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote:
    I'm in

Phalla Magic needs a new home! :lol:

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Ethea wrote:
    I would recommend Arch if you like slackware and gentoo.
    These days I like Debian. I'm past my "Look, I compiled it with exactly the features I use and nothing else and now my system does everything one billionth of a second faster" phase and well into "My computer is fast enough, I just want it to work and not waste my time."
    Eh, Arch is a binary rolling release distro. You don't have to compile things yourself unless you want to unless it's a package through AUR (user made packages), and that's easy to do as well.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote:
    zounds good to meee

:^:

I also had sent Khoo a PM just about further such issues with affiliation, but padev.net is a go.

Everyone thank @zeeny who is donating funds for the domain registration.

Good stuff, @zeeny!

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    lets mark me down as tentative.

• Options
    $70 later I have the domain and first month of padev.net hub paid for.

Looks like I have some admin fun times tonight. Will keep people posted.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Ethea wrote:
    These days I like Debian. I'm past my "Look, I compiled it with exactly the features I use and nothing else and now my system does everything one billionth of a second faster" phase and well into "My computer is fast enough, I just want it to work and not waste my time."
    Eh, Arch is a binary rolling release distro. You don't have to compile things yourself unless you want to unless it's a package through AUR (user made packages), and that's easy to do as well.

I was recommending Arch because it was basically Gentoo without the compilation ( aka a stripped down install where you choose every single thing you want)

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote:
    Phyphor wrote:
    I'm in

Phalla Magic needs a new home! :lol:

Yup! Something with more uptime than my old pc under my desk :)

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    C(++) question. Okay so what the hell, precisely, is a char * const foo[] supposed to be. I get that in general it's an array of strings, but what the hell does the const apply to?

I was always taught to read right to left when working out const-ness, so a char * const would be an immutable pointer to a mutable character, and a char const * (or const char *) would be a mutable pointer to an immutable character, but how the hell does array suffixes play into this?

I ask because the prototype for, I think, execv() is void execv(const char* file, char* const argv[]), where argv is (natch) the argv passed to the new main(), with the last item in the array being a null pointer, but I cannot for the life of me work out the right way to set up the samned variable, because if I just try to do, say, char* const *foo = new char*[ARGCOUNT], I can't actually do foo[0] = "cmd.exe" or whatever, says I can't assign to a const.

HALP

• Options
    Well you should be able to pass a char*[] to it, the compiler will automatically promote to const where it can. Essentially it's an immutable array of mutable strings

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Yeah, start with something un-const'ed.

You can always const something, but without stupid hacks you can't unconst something.

Also, the shared hosting thing sounds neat but I already have a Linode. Let me know if you need help or anything though.

• Options
    const_cast!

• Options
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Got the web, database, some related tools sorted, currently working out the mail and certs.

I don't know why I like setting up a fresh server, but I do.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    Barrakketh wrote:
    Ethea wrote:
    I was recommending Arch because it was basically Gentoo without the compilation ( aka a stripped down install where you choose every single thing you want)
    I was addressing his complaints about the compiling thing. "Gentoo without all the compiling" is usually how I describe Arch to other people.

Of course, these days I think it has a basic installer (AIF) instead of doing everything from writing fstab to manually configuring your network (wpa_supplicant used to be such a bitch without lots of hand-holding).

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ledneh wrote:
    C(++) question. Okay so what the hell, precisely, is a char * const foo[] supposed to be. I get that in general it's an array of strings, but what the hell does the const apply to?

I was always taught to read right to left when working out const-ness, so a char * const would be an immutable pointer to a mutable character, and a char const * (or const char *) would be a mutable pointer to an immutable character, but how the hell does array suffixes play into this?

I ask because the prototype for, I think, execv() is void execv(const char* file, char* const argv[]), where argv is (natch) the argv passed to the new main(), with the last item in the array being a null pointer, but I cannot for the life of me work out the right way to set up the samned variable, because if I just try to do, say, char* const *foo = new char*[ARGCOUNT], I can't actually do foo[0] = "cmd.exe" or whatever, says I can't assign to a const.

HALP

Const in a function prototype is just an explicit way of saying that the function does not change that input and as others have said you can, and in almost all cases will, pass a non const variable to the function.

khain on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Got the web, database, some related tools sorted, currently working out the mail and certs.

I don't know why I like setting up a fresh server, but I do.

It's fun to do!

PM incoming.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING TOO FAST.......I'm old. Start moving slower ffs.

• Options
    Keep up gramps!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Man, you guys have been busy.
    My latest endeavors have included a total immersion into CoffeeScript for web dev.
    I also may have inadvertently joined a startup doing Silverlight (fuck me). It's not bad, I just don't find .NET stuff very exciting.

jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I looked at coffeescript when I started up with node, but decided I'll stick to javascript for the moment(I like it, so sue me!).
    Coffeescript is certainly on my to do list though.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Anyone here know VB? Or at least enough to help me out..?
    <Image Width="35"
                Canvas.Left="590"
                Canvas.Top="24">
                <Image.Source>
                  <BitmapImage DecodePixelWidth="35"
                UriSource=".\images\RightArrowButton.jpg" />
                </Image.Source>
            </Image>

Where do I put my images folder in order for something like this to work? Or am I doing that wrong as well? Should they be double slashes?

• Options
    "." is current directory, so, wherever the exe is being run from there should be an "images" folder with "RightArrowButton.jpg" in it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It's also why "cd ." will not change directories but "cd .." will, since .. is "previous directory."

And sometimes while you'll see something like this: "..\..\..\..\..\something.jpg"

bowen on
  • Options
    Have you tried forward slashes, honky?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Ugh this is such a pain in the ass..... Trying to run my generated code from my program, but I don't really know any of VB so I can't tell how to get it working...

• Options
    Infidel wrote:
    Have you tried forward slashes, honky?

Yeah still doesn't work. I've even tried just placing the image everywhere in my folder to hopefully get a hit. :P

• Options
    This is one of the errors I get:
    Error 1 The file ./images/a.jpg is not part of the project or its 'Build Action' property is not set to 'Resource'. C:\Users\honky\Documents\program\testgenerators\programTestApp1\programTestApp1\MainWindow.xaml 351 15 programTestApp1

No idea what that means... lol. I passed this on to the guy who wrote the generator. Hopefully he knows.

• Options
    VB though right? It shouldn't be ignoring that, but maybe it is.

Try changing the path to "images/(thefile)" instead. Some thinking makes me wonder that the . probably isn't being parsed and just being passed directly as a string literal.

• Options
    Same deal... Hmm.

• Options
    I guess the project is assuming there's a directory in it rather than in the bin directory? That'd be weird.

• Options
    Looks like it's because I placed the images folder in the project directory manually. If I add existing items it seems to have worked.

• Options
    This is why I use embedded resources on compiled projects.

• Options
    Of course the generated code is all broken though. It doesn't look anything like the design... Sigh... 10 days until I have to demo this.

• Options
    I foresee lots of heavy drinking in my future.

• Options
    Some logistics:

I am thinking payment counts for calendar months? Linode bills by the month on the month, so it would be convenient to be in line with that. Would this be an issue? Would it be better to deal with tracking and expiring on arbitrary dates?

Admin access: the ability to see all files and database records if desired is possible. I'm sure people know full well going into this that when they don't own their box they are at the mercy of administrator ethics. I'm a totally ethical guy and won't be snooping into your stuff unless you want me to. So the issue is (a) that this is still just made clear so no complaints and (b) if I drag on another to help with admin stuff, who do I bring on? I'm gonna need references and shit!

But seriously, if you are interested in being an alternate administrator, PM me. Give me as much relevant experience as you can, working with Linodes is a bonus and I'd prefer people with a track record of holding down a job where financial/medical ethical integrity was shown. :winky: Don't want admin drama or I'll just do it myself!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'd say billing wise on the month, maybe have a certain cut off if you pay on the last week you get rolled into next month. As for admin access, yeah I'd assume so since we'll probably need to do backups anyways in case of a rogue process or something takes down the node in some way (my friend took down a VPS when he tried to do a cron job I have no idea how the fuck he did that).

• Options
    baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    @urahonky whenever you add new resources (images/sounds, etc) to a project using Visual Studio, if you want to reference them in the manner you did above you have to find the item in the solution viewer (you did add it to the project, right?), view it's properties, and set the build action to "resource". This specifies how the resource is compiled in the resulting assembly, which allows your path reference to work.

This has bitten me in the butt so many times :(

There are other build actions for resources (content, embedded resource) but I'm not well-versed as to what those changes mean.

• Options
    Yeah I'd actually just copied the folder over to the project, and for some reason I was unable to reference them. Viewing the properties for them only allowed me to change the name of the folder.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I'm having to do MVC 3 at work

cshtml confuses AND arouses me

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    I'm having to do MVC 3 at work

cshtml confuses AND arouses me

Have you used anything similar? Like rhtml/erb?

cshtml is a lot like rhtml, except weird and bad.

• Options
    Paypal money to dmajor@gmail.com, $5/mo gets you access, anything over that will be a balance for future months. (People are typically sending in $10/$20). If the rate changes I'll give you a heads up, keep in mind that it is an estimation at the moment and it may change in the early setup stage.

Phyphor is testing out the setup by getting a forum bot of his moved over, once we hammer out some of the userspace issues I'll be setting up accounts en masse.

Welcome to PADev.net? (Yes, I will be making a proper page for this later, and the prominent use of the site would be a wiki where we can help each other out with PADev config/issues.)

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.