As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: September's thread is done, go to the new one

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    But Madden is still at the top of the sales charts almost every single year so...what are people catching on to exactly?

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    But Madden is still at the top of the sales charts almost every single year so...what are people catching on to exactly?

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/83386/top-selling-games-of-2010-multi-wii-ps3-psp-ds-x360/

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    We should go to vgchartz, why?

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Because 89% of all made up numbers are credible..?

edited September 2011

Because it's a fancy list. I really don't like sites that are "Top games of x year", and then make you go through an annoying slideshow :(

Do you guys have a better site that shows sales units of the 2010 year?

Robes on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Holy crap this is cool...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/37323/Foldit_Players_Outperform_Computer_Models_On_Viral_Protein_Modeling.php

Just a matter of time until someone finds a way use a game to solve a problem that is monetizable and makes a billion dollars on it using the game players as living distributed computing.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited September 2011
    edit became a post. hm.~

Robes on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Actually one of the 8s said that it was worse than 1, that 3 weakest entry in the series. But honestly content and set-piece wise you can't in any way claim that. I'm not disagreeing with the score, just I couldn't imagine it being the worst of the series considering certain things about the first. Like the fact that an entire chapter was cut before release, along with the one boss fight that was teased the entire development process. I'm not saying that the game may not have deserved an 8, I'm just saying it couldn't be the worst game in the series in a few ways. Though yes yes I will give people full right to form their own opinions.
    I understand deadlines and how awful they are in this industry, I understand that he had no control over how late he got the game, but I wouldn't point that out to the reader without being absolutely humble about it. "I did the best I could with the short time I was given, and considering that I think I did a good job." not "This is one of the best reviews I've ever written!" Frankly I'd have asked for a short extension on the review to do a proper job, embargo date be damned. To me it smacks of a lack of integrity and professionalism to blow through the entire process in just over half a day. When he admits in his review that the campaign alone took 9 of those 15 hours he had to not only play every part of the game, write his review, and get it posted on the site, just to make a self-imposed deadline. Other sites are claiming that the campaign took them 15-20 hours depending on the difficulty, so I could imagine him tearing ass through the game to get a review out in time. I'm willing to at the very least acknowledge that maybe if he really took his time and completely experienced everything the game had to offer he might have given it an extra point. Instead of playing the game and writing the review both under extreme stress and time crunch and almost certainly cutting corners.

And the Eurogamer review? It clarifies nothing about it being the best or worst in the series and is the review that Cliffy specifically called out.

Again, the issue here is 8/10 is somehow not good. That a great score on a title is cause for being singled out as a hater. That makes absolutely no sense. They didn't slam the game. It wasn't a 3 or 5. It wasn't a hate-filled tirade. It was, this is great, but there are a few flaws.
    In the first quote I was directly speaking about Destructoid as it was one of the 8s like I said.

In the second quote I very specifically said I wasn't disagreeing with the review or the score, but the reviewing process, which pretty much boiled down to, "I guess I'm just a fast cook."

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:

Because it's a fancy list. I really don't like sites that are "Top games of x year", and then make you go through an annoying slideshow :(

Do you guys have a better site that shows sales units of the 2010 year?

What Santa was getting at is that VGChartz is horribly inaccurate and literally makes up sales figures. You'd get better numbers by rifling through chicken guts.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    But chicken guts are where most analysts get things anyways, don'cha know?

Edit: Bawk!

Astale on
  • exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote:
    Holy crap this is cool...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/37323/Foldit_Players_Outperform_Computer_Models_On_Viral_Protein_Modeling.php

Just a matter of time until someone finds a way use a game to solve a problem that is monetizable and makes a billion dollars on it using the game players as living distributed computing.

I'm going to make a strategy game where players think they're outsmarting complex AI, but they're actually predicting the stock market for me. BRB

So how's Gamefly reacting to the news that Netflix Qwikster is getting into the game biz? Very blandly:
    GameFly is putting on a strong face as it prepares for its greatest competitor to the game rental space to date: Netflix. Well, the behemoth's disc distribution division is called Qwikster now -- a change that's taking folks some time to wrap their brains around -- but the fact remains: Netflix's distribution network is an efficient beast. It is a key aspect GameFly has struggled with over the years.

"GameFly has expanded steadily over the past nine years by focusing exclusively on video gamers. We are the only retailer offering games physically and digitally for both rental and purchase," GameFly responded in a statement when asked about Qwikster. "Gamers can try before they buy, choosing from new releases and classic titles that span the last decade. GameFly has more than 8000 games for 10 console and handheld systems to choose from, and over 1500 Windows/Mac games are available for download."

GameFly is preparing for the digitally distributed future with acquisitions like Direct2Drive, which will allow the company to add "Unlimited PC Play" for free to its service offerings this holiday.

"GameFly is the leading video game rental service, and we have continued to grow even as Blockbuster and Redbox increased their investment in console games."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/20/gamefly-expresses-confidence-as-netflix-muscles-in/

So there's a visual tour of the notoriously secretive Rare studios! It's the first time, well, pretty much anyone outside of the industry has seen them.

Unfortunately, the visuals will seriously depress everybody except Fragglefart.
    Rare, the talented studio behind such mega hits as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark, was notoriously media shy, at least until recently, when Microsoft and the developer invited members of the press to poke around its beautiful Twycross campus, located in Leicestershire, England.

What was supposed to feel like entering Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, though, felt more like walking into a best friend’s apartment after a breakup, with very few memories of the previous relationship, or in this case, a lucrative marriage with Nintendo that produced some of the best video games of all time.

The message is clear. Rare doesn’t cling to the past.

This was evident the moment we walked into the lobby, our eyes struggling to absorb the overwhelming Kinect Sports decor. Murals, press quotes, bowling pins. The company even has a TV that plays the Kinect Sports: Season Two trailer on a loop, as well as another featuring the original launch title. You know, the one that managed to sell an impressive three million copies worldwide. With numbers like that, who needs Donkey Kong?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/feature-inside-rare/

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

It's always the inverse. So, 11%.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    NeuralFizz wrote:

It's been posted. It's standard on agreements was the conclusion. Sony's not doing anything any other company isn't doing.

Gaslight wrote:

It's always the inverse. So, 11%.

You forgot to divide by i.

• corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Why we are talking about game journalism I am going to link this again.

http://www.1up.com/features/starbreeze-secret-history

Because it is the best game journalism I have seen in years and everyone should read it.

• MgsleeMgslee United StatesRegistered User regular
    About reviews, I really gotta put in my 2cents.

The problem with Metacritic is that it treats all review "scores" equal. My 8/10 isn't the same as someone else's which we've talked about endlessly before. The other problem is consistency among reviewers and the ever growing bar. A 90% game 3 years ago is not the same now and games should be rated against the industry as a whole and not against a small subset (aka just other games in their series). But at the end of the day, its all opinions.

Honestly, I'd really like to see a RottenTomatoes style aggregate score for video games. In which each review is giving it a thumbs or thumbs down so the final score is a % of people who actually liked the game instead of some arbitrary number.

Hit me up for SSF4 games! (Xbox Live mgslee)
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    corin7 wrote:

Because it is the best game journalism I have seen in years and everyone should read it.

There's also this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-the-boy-who-stole-half-life-2-article

The problem is in-depth stories like that are difficult to get a hold of at certain companies, due to going through PR people and various NDAs, and are usually not enough to keep a site afloat.

They happen, but not everyone sees them.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    corin7 wrote:

There's also this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-21-the-boy-who-stole-half-life-2-article

The problem is in-depth stories like that are difficult to get a hold of at certain companies, due to going through PR people and various NDAs, and are usually not enough to keep a site afloat.

Meanwhile you can get more page hits by tossing off some snarky comments about how Nintendo is dooooooomed.

• exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    corin7 wrote:

There's also this.

Meanwhile you can get more page hits by tossing off some snarky comments about how Nintendo is dooooooomed.

If Kotaku is "just a blog" like their defenders frequently say and we don't have to hold them to any journalistic standards, then why must STEAM include them in their News feed?

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    So there's a visual tour of the notoriously secretive Rare studios! It's the first time, well, pretty much anyone outside of the industry has seen them.

Unfortunately, the visuals will seriously depress everybody except Fragglefart.
    Rare, the talented studio behind such mega hits as Donkey Kong Country, GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark, was notoriously media shy, at least until recently, when Microsoft and the developer invited members of the press to poke around its beautiful Twycross campus, located in Leicestershire, England.

What was supposed to feel like entering Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory, though, felt more like walking into a best friend’s apartment after a breakup, with very few memories of the previous relationship, or in this case, a lucrative marriage with Nintendo that produced some of the best video games of all time.

The message is clear. Rare doesn’t cling to the past.

This was evident the moment we walked into the lobby, our eyes struggling to absorb the overwhelming Kinect Sports decor. Murals, press quotes, bowling pins. The company even has a TV that plays the Kinect Sports: Season Two trailer on a loop, as well as another featuring the original launch title. You know, the one that managed to sell an impressive three million copies worldwide. With numbers like that, who needs Donkey Kong?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/feature-inside-rare/
    If someone had given us the choice of seeing Rare in the late 90s or 2011, the former is by far the most appealing. Granted, we enjoyed Kinect Sports: Season Two, but it’s clear the studio has lost some of the magic associated with working on a well-known franchise, especially one involving Nintendo.

At the same time, the company’s in great shape, thanks to a beautiful facility, happy employees and seemingly unlimited support from Microsoft.

What did we take away from the trip? Rare’s alive, and you can count on Kinect Sports: Season Three.

Oh joy. You would have to huff an incredible amount of paint to be able to muster up any excitement for the future of Rare or such a tour after reading through that feature. When you get to that one solitary photo showing off all the games from their past it really gets you to think about all the great games they could be working on now if they still had any franchises worth developing for and most of their talent (quite literally) hadn't left. I think the thing that sums it all up best aside from the last few paragraphs is the fact that there are two links along the side for an article titled: Rare's Scott Henson: 'We Didn't Fall Off The Map'

NNID: Rehab0
    edited September 2011
    I mean, I suppose I could understand not wanting to feature any Nintendo stuff since they're owned by Microsoft, but no Viva Pinata stuff? No Banjo? No Perfect Dark? Nothing but wall to wall Kinect Sports?

That pretty much says volumes about their new direction.

cloudeagle on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Which could currently be stated simply as: Mii too!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I mean, I suppose I could understand not wanting to feature any Nintendo stuff since they're owned by Microsoft, but no Viva Pinata stuff? No Banjo? No Perfect Dark? Nothing but wall to wall Kinect Sports?

Honestly I think this line is key:

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited September 2011
    Some entries for the rumor mill:
    http://www.1up.com/news/next-super-smash-bros-game-called-universe
    The announcement of the new Super Smash Bros. may have been premature, but Nintendo apparently felt it needed a big game to talk about -- if not show -- at this year's E3. With Masahiro Sakurai still busy working on Kid Icarus: Uprising, details were anything but forthcoming beyond the fact that it's coming to Wii U and 3DS. Now a leaked document allegedly shows off some potential ideas for the game and a possible name.

The image below surfaced on 4chan and was then posted on Reddit earlier today. It shows the game's name as being Super Smash Bros. Universe, with the "U" in Universe using the same style of U seen in the logo for Wii U. The idea makes sense, though with this sort of thing it's always best to take anything and everything with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that the page seems to indicate both the Japanese and English names for the game would use the same subtitle, whereas previous games did not -- Melee carried the subtitle DX in Japan while Brawl was simply X.

According to a translation by Zelda Informer (via Super Smash Bros. World), the document alludes to more third-party support (presumably meaning more third-party characters like Snake and Sonic), the removal of tripping (also known as Prat Falling), and increasing the movement speed of Samus in light of how she handles in Other M.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/20/rumor-dota-2-client-leaked-features-ep3-code/
    You'll forgive us if we're highly speculative about code supposedly unearthed from the leaked beta client for Valve's upcoming strategy RTS, Dota 2. It supposedly includes information from a folder named "ep3." Now wait a minute, stop huffing -- we know, we know -- and hear us out. As reported by Valve fan site Lambda Generation, the Dota 2 beta client has apparently leaked via Vietnam, and eager fans datamined the code for info, apparently plundering a string of code regarding something called "ep3."

As you might imagine, both the dataminers and gaming websites are saying the folder pertains to the comically nebulous Half-Life 2: Episode 3, with the code pointing to two weapons -- an ice gun and a flamethrower -- as well as three "weaponizers" (concrete, liquid, and metal). But wait, why would Valve leave code for another one of its projects in the beta code for Dota 2, especially a project that it refuses to acknowledge exists? In short, Valve's done some similarly cheeky things in the past to promote its games, albeit not nearly as deep as this would be. We've reached out to Valve for word, but don't expect to hear anything official.

Not really sure what to think of these. The Smash Bros. one does make some sense - at least in regards to the title. But this is also something that could *easily* be made up/guessed, so who the fuck knows. 4chan is also just about the worst source in the world...

I'm fairly sceptical of the Half-Life one though as well. Dota2 is coming way before Episode 3 - so why even bother including Episode 3 stuff in it?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

'Hey! We have this new game, please pay attention to it rather than constantly harping about how we aren't recycling the same things we did before when you all believed we could do no wrong.'

What a bunch of dicks.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    /gets a rolled up newspaper

No! Bad Nintendo! Don't make anything like Other M!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    NeuralFizz wrote:

It's been posted. It's standard on agreements was the conclusion. Sony's not doing anything any other company isn't doing.
    Yeah, blame the supreme court for killing class action suits, not the poor innocent companies :(

steam_sig.png
    cloudeagle wrote:

'Hey! We have this new game, please pay attention to it rather than constantly harping about how we aren't recycling the same things we did before when you all believed we could do no wrong.'

What a bunch of dicks.

There's a difference between promoting a new game and literally wallpapering the entire office with it. Go look at the photos.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:

They took out tripping, and gameplay wise I'm all for Samus Hayabusa instead of I Want A Baby Samus.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

They took out tripping, and gameplay wise I'm all for Samus Hayabusa instead of I Want A Baby Samus.

If you watch Klyka's Let's Play of it, you can easily turn it into a drinking game.

Also, Bing apparently bleeds money
    Microsoft has lost $5.5 billion on Bing since the search service launched in June 2009, but the company's search losses actually pre-date that. In fact, the software giant has never made money in its online services division. Since Microsoft began breaking out that unit's finances in 2007, the company has lost a total of $9 billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/20/technology/microsoft_bing/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

cloudeagle wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

What a bunch of dicks.

There's a difference between promoting a new game and literally wallpapering the entire office with it. Go look at the photos.

They brought in people to promote a new game and set about making the offices reflect this. The difference is that you want something else from this visit and that's what upsets you.

Otherwise, you've totally missed my point. Everybody and their mom bitches about how Rare has dropped the ball, especially since being bought by MS. That they are no longer the company they used to be or should be now. And if they have to constantly keep referring to the days when they were considered to be much better to sell the game they're working on now, then all they're going to do is catch shit from people cynically pointing out that Rare doesn't even have enough guts to sell the game rather than their own history.

The Rare people knew and loved is gone. And they aren't coming back. Attacking them for promoting the new is simply not productive for anybody.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    SyphonBlue wrote:

If you watch Klyka's Let's Play of it, you can easily turn it into a drinking game.

For about 15 minutes, after which they never say the word "baby" again?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    cloudeagle wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

What a bunch of dicks.

They brought in people to promote a new game and set about making the offices reflect this. The difference is that you want something else from this visit and that's what upsets you.

Otherwise, you've totally missed my point. Everybody and their mom bitches about how Rare has dropped the ball, especially since being bought by MS. That they are no longer the company they used to be or should be now. And if they have to constantly keep referring to the days when they were considered to be much better to sell the game they're working on now, then all they're going to do is catch shit from people cynically pointing out that Rare doesn't even have enough guts to sell the game rather than their own history.

The Rare people knew and loved is gone. And they aren't coming back. Attacking them for promoting the new is simply not productive for anybody.

The fact of the matter is that they went to the effort to dress their office for the press and potentially hide all evidence of any other games they've made. That goes beyond promotion.

The first two videos had a ton of 'baby' in it, so I just assumed it perpetuated throughout the whole game. I haven't seen any past that.

edited September 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

What a bunch of dicks.

The fact of the matter is that they went to the effort to dress their office for the press and potentially hide all evidence of any other games they've made. That goes beyond promotion.

Pretty much. What's wrong with promoting Kinect Sports AND acknowledging that they made other games?

Still, we know that this isn't the company they used to be, this just really drives the point home in a somewhat depressing manner.

Edit:
    The first two videos had a ton of 'baby' in it, so I just assumed it perpetuated throughout the whole game. I haven't seen any past that.

They do in fact drop the baby thing after repeating it 47,000 times in the first 15 minutes. Unfortunately, the rest of the plot introduces stuff equally as ham-handed.

cloudeagle on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The baby was...
    deleted.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png