As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Kinder, Gentler Social Entropy

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    People getting uppity and bitter about other people having babies is silly.

I don't mind people who choose not to have children

in fact I love people who choose not to have children, makes me feel less guilty about having one myself

and I am trying hard not to talk about children to people who don't want to hear about it (honest)

okay but you better post all kinds of baby pics once that kid finds his way out of your belly

Mori plans on making a thread

I can only talk for myself, I can't control him!

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2011
    Janson wrote:

in fact I love people who choose not to have children, makes me feel less guilty about having one myself

this is the first thing in this thread I legitimately do not understand even a little bit

everyone get her

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    I have learned a great deal from this place, but nothing about privilege. Are you all speaking about the unknown privileges afforded white males and such, or the privilege of wealth? Privilege of beauty mayhaps?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Belruel wrote:
    what about pokemon breeders?

Well

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    nic just bake the cookies

send them to me

and never ever clean your house

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    tynic don't listen to the people that would put your delicious, flavoursome cookies before the sanctity of your home

Listen to the me that would put your delicious, flavoursome cookies before the sanctity of your home, give me those cookies

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    jigrah, please

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar wrote:
    Janson wrote:

this is the first thing in this thread I legitimately do not understand even a little bit

If you're concerned about things like the environmental impact a child living in the first world will have on the planet, then it makes perfect sense to feel guilty about producing one, and equally perfect sense to feel relieved when you meet people who are not having kids, because it mitigates the impact of your decision somewhat. Well it doesn't really, but it feels that way.

and now I don't want to post this because it looks like I'm criticising J and I'm sure she can speak for herself anyway but I've done all this typing.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    You might as well make the cookies first, because you will have to clean the baking trays and bows you've used, so you might as well do it in one go.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Jigrah wrote:
    I have learned a great deal from this place, but nothing about privilege. Are you all speaking about the unknown privileges afforded white males and such, or the privilege of wealth? Privilege of beauty mayhaps?

Generally refers to white, christian, cisgendered males who can afford to laugh at someone using the word 'kyriarchy' because they don't have the deal with the problems people outside of it have to every day.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Walt wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    text me

sext me

Whichever!!

i think the right option here is pretty clear

Neither will happen :(

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Jigrah wrote:

The privileges of being a wealthy, first world person too isolated from real poverty to realize that the ability to waste time on the internet and be able to complain here is nothing next to having to ration your cooking oil in order to power you generator to heat your hovel for five minutes before it dies in the icy, frigid tundra of Siberia.

Or the privilege to have opinions?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    tynic come to Berlin on Nov 12th, bring the cookies

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    Larlar wrote:
    Janson wrote:

If you're concerned about things like the environmental impact a child living in the first world will have on the planet, then it makes perfect sense to feel guilty about producing one, and equally perfect sense to feel relieved when you meet people who are not having kids, because it mitigates the impact of your decision somewhat. Well it doesn't really, but it feels that way.

and now I don't want to post this because it looks like I'm criticising J and I'm sure she can speak for herself anyway but I've done all this typing.

Thing is, my kid's going to fix the world's problems and could only do that from being born in the first world so I don't feel guilty at all.

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    Jigrah wrote:

Generally refers to white, christian, cisgendered males who can afford to laugh at someone using the word 'kyriarchy' because they don't have the deal with the problems people outside of it have to every day.

it's hard to laugh at a word you don't know the definition of

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I miss baking

I think baking a cake into the middle of a far larger cake was my crowning moment of kitchen wizardry

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Janson wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Rolo wrote:
    People getting uppity and bitter about other people having babies is silly.

and I am trying hard not to talk about children to people who don't want to hear about it (honest)

okay but you better post all kinds of baby pics once that kid finds his way out of your belly

Mori plans on making a thread

I can only talk for myself, I can't control him!

It's hard not get a little bitter when people are getting pregnant

'cause it's something that I wont ever be able to do

barring a surprise technological breakthrough

So I'm being pregnant vicariously through you, Rachel

hope that's cool

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    guilt; it's everywhere

all over my keyboard

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    You might as well make the cookies first, because you will have to clean the baking trays and bows you've used, so you might as well do it in one go.

You make cookies with bows?

Wow.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    Or maybe it was "Where is my birthday present"

"Cut a slice off that there cake and see what's inside"

• Options
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

Wow.

Oh dear. This is what I get for stuffing my face with mini cheddars and trying to type.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    Jigrah wrote:

The privileges of being a wealthy, first world person too isolated from real poverty to realize that the ability to waste time on the internet and be able to complain here is nothing next to having to ration your cooking oil in order to power you generator to heat your hovel for five minutes before it dies in the icy, frigid tundra of Siberia.

To be fair though, Siberia is pretty much a prison for awful people...

So...?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Enc wrote:
    Jigrah wrote:

Huhuhuhuhuuuu

• Options
    ~shrug~

I thought we were playing Jeopardy???

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Really, @Beasteh?

Also, I'd love to get in on Child's Play action this year. Mori and I have missed it the past couple of years.

I'm looking forward to Solid Saints, last year was fun!

It was! I'm trying to figure out if I can rewrite a balaclava knit pattern to make a Batman cowl

Signs point to yes

Woo!!!!

Although honestly I will get out-bid super quick just like last year...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    thorgot wrote:
    Jigrah wrote:

it's hard to laugh at a word you don't know the definition of

The problem is that not knowing what it means doesn't stop people from sneering at it.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    man I want some cookies now

• Options
    Bake till you drop

Then bake some more

• Options
    Didge sent me the most delightful cookies for secret satans

I wanna start learning how to make my own treats ahhh

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Fire Truck wrote:
    Beasteh wrote:
    Fire Truck wrote:
    Just wanna give a shoutout to @Antimatter for the times I've seen her be a levelheaded but still uncompromising advocate against transphobia on this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

So...antimatter calls people on saying shit like "tranny" because it's now socially acceptable to do so, and has nothing to do with her being transgender or caring about transphobia? Or something?

its almost as if a few people at the beginning who came out as trans were met with huge amounts of transphobia and it took years of convincing and shaming to get to the point where we're at now

Except that's an exaggeration. There were plenty of the core community here that were supportive of those that identified as transgendered. Yes, there were fringe members of the community that didn't really know the community that well that were much more likely to express ignorant views, but there's been a lot of support for trans members here for years. Did that mean they agreed entirely with everything those transgendered members said? Of course not, but that's not the same as transphobia.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:
    Silmaril wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

Wow.

Oh dear. This is what I get for stuffing my face with mini cheddars and trying to type.

Ahahahah

Only sparing a single finger while cramming biscuity crumbs into your mouth!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    guys why do places like Subway only have chewy cookies instead of crunchy cookies

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    arrrgh sr. co-worker talking to his jr. co-worker about how to deal with "those jewish clients"

and they are not joking

they are actually being completely earnest

• Options
    You laugh Ed, but I'm really hungry.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    arrrgh sr. co-worker talking to his jr. co-worker about how to deal with "those jewish clients"

and they are not joking

they are actually being completely earnest

bring bagels

mention moses

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    guys why do places like Subway only have chewy cookies instead of crunchy cookies

Because chewy cookies are best

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Chewy cookies are better than crunchy cookies

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Liiya wrote:

Now I am too, come to think of it...

Hmm, can twiglets substitute for mini cheddars in this instance?

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Liiya wrote:

Now I am too, come to think of it...

Hmm, can twiglets substitute for mini cheddars in this instance?

Yes, yes they can.

• Options
    Keith wrote:

Because chewy cookies are best

Also, they lack eggs so have a longer shelf life and lower rate of contamination.