As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't [Chat] Don't Tell

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    When did you change your name, Elki? Is it so you can get through TSA more easily?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Man I dont know how

But I always seem to fuck up baked potatoes

Should be easy- wash, prick with fork, add some oil, bit of salt, bake for an hour at 350

But then they are still rock hard and I am like whut did I do i just wanted some potatoes why are you taking so long

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This Mint game is stupid.

"You get 20 dollars. What will you do? Put half of it in your savings? Okay. Here's 5 dollars. Now earn more money by shooting coins into a money bag!"

How the hell does this help kids?

What young kid's parents make the kid pay for their own meals at school?

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    @Arch Is your oven properly pre-heating? If so, and if you can verify that the temperature the oven is hitting is at least close then maybe try going hotter?

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:

"You get 20 dollars. What will you do? Put half of it in your savings? Okay. Here's 5 dollars. Now earn more money by shooting coins into a money bag!"

listen, my kids won't need any handouts

allowances are for liberals

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote:
    @Arch Is your oven properly pre-heating? If so, and if you can verify that the temperature the oven is hitting is at least close then maybe try going hotter?

this is probably the problem but i always forget to snag thermometers from the lab before I leave to check

Oh well maybe 20 more minutes and i get delicious potatoes

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Man I dont know how

Should be easy- wash, prick with fork, add some oil, bit of salt, bake for an hour at 350

But then they are still rock hard and I am like whut did I do i just wanted some potatoes why are you taking so long

Huh.

I just prick the potato with a knife a few times and chuck in the oven as is at about 180ºC for between an hour and an hour and a half depending on how big it is. Sometimes the skin gets all nice and crispy but the inside isn't soft enough and if that happens I just wrap it in foil and give it a bit longer.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote:

listen, my kids won't need any handouts

allowances are for liberals

I'm going to teach my kids to program. By the time they're 10 or so, I'm just going to "work from home" every day and have them do my job for me. I'll give 'em a nice $20/week or so allowance for it.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    This month, you spent $170.48 on Gas & Fuel. This exceeds your budget of $10 by $160.

This...this doesn't seem like a realistic budget. I guess I'm buying a skateboard!
    At 5/gallon and 25 mpg 160 should get you something like 800 miles I think (($160/ $5/gal)*25 miles/gal=800 miles). That seems a little ... high.

25 mpg? HAHAHAHA no I don't think so I drive a truck. More like 18mpg highway if I do it right.

Also I took a trip to San Diego this month which is 1000 miles roundtrip.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Syrdon wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    This month, you spent $170.48 on Gas & Fuel. This exceeds your budget of $10 by $160.

This...this doesn't seem like a realistic budget. I guess I'm buying a skateboard!
    At 5/gallon and 25 mpg 160 should get you something like 800 miles I think (($160/ $5/gal)*25 miles/gal=800 miles). That seems a little ... high.

25 mpg? HAHAHAHA no I don't think so I drive a truck. More like 18mpg highway if I do it right.

Also I took a trip to San Diego this month which is 1000 miles roundtrip.
    Gas is closer to $4/gal last I checked though, so in theory it balances out. Once you hit the 4 digit range on distance being around 150 starts to sound reasonable though.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    moniker wrote:
    When did you change your name, Elki? Is it so you can get through TSA more easily?

You noticed the name, but you missed my very white skin?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Man I dont know how

Do you know if your oven is actually functioning? Temperature selection dials are the biggest lie. You need an oven thermometer.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I never got an allowance as a kid. I'd ask for money but unless it was for a mandatory school function or something, the answer was always no. Any money I got for a holiday went right in "the bank" but I never saw any of it. I suspect my bank account growing up was my parent's monthly financial padding because when I was old enough to understand how it actually worked, I noticed that my passbook had lots of mysterious withdrawals.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    9yViz.png

So I'm into this reddit meme category now.

• Options
    It looks like my Facebook has a new look again, again.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    The new facebook sucks, give me the old facebook back

and so on

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Oh my God, this is a little overwhelming.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    moniker wrote:

You noticed the name, but you missed my very white skin?

once the marinade is on it’ll be darker

I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Facebook's interface has been shit for a while. There have been countless reskins to crib from but the official theme continues ignore them. I can only assume making all the buttons small and identical and constantly moving menus around generates more revenue somehow.

• Options
    My Facebook live feed has too much on it to be useful; I guess other people might like it, but at 20 updates a minute I'm not gonna bother to look at it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    the status thing on the side is just dumb

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Also if you haven't seen the anti-Gadhafi graffiti from Tripoli yet, it's really cool: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/09/20/libya-refugees-flee-sirte.html

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Eddy wrote:
    the status thing on the side is just dumb

I guess it's useful if you're just Facebooking all the time, and need to updated on what's happening with your Facebook friends while you're focusing on page and... I don't know. Doing something.

But otherwise, it seems like tech-demo and a waste of space.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe Facebook's real secret to success is time travel technology. It's the only thing to explain why it still uses a 3 column layout that fell out of favor for more usable designs years before the website even launched.

• Options
    people who always complain about every change a website’s UI have never tried to build a website

reskins might look better, but there’s a reason choices were made

you don’t have the same goals the platform’s creators do, and you don’t have to deal with the issues they would

• Options
    It would be nice to use Google+ if Google CHROME would work with GOOGLE'S COOKIES.

• Options
    which isn’t to say I like everything Facebook does; I think they make some dumb decisions just like anybody

but it’s not just people fiddling around for the heck of it

• Options
    So, I guess this is what the right side of that screen will look like every midnight:

Happy birthday.
    Happy birthday :)
    Happy birthday!!
    Happy birthday!
    happy birthday ;)
    I'm so lonely
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Birthday suits!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Maybe Facebook's real secret to success is time travel technology. It's the only thing to explain why it still uses a 3 column layout that fell out of favor for more usable designs years before the website even launched.

google+ uses 3 columns as well

• Options
    Try to log in and all I get

https://www.google.com/accounts/CookieMismatch

Clear Cookies and then

FUCKING UNINSTALL CHROME, EDIT THE REGISTRY, REINSTALL

FUCK YOU THEN

• Options
    stilist wrote:
    which isn’t to say I like everything Facebook does; I think they make some dumb decisions just like anybody

but it’s not just people fiddling around for the heck of it

Of course it's deliberate. The question is what advantage is there in a deliberately bad interface. It must encourage usage patterns they like, such as users accidentally clicking on ads or constant exploration to find old features resulting in the discovery of new features.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This is the worst UI going on a website right now:

http://grab.by/aVyz

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Facebook doesn't WANT you to find new features, then you'll figure out how to opt-out of sharing your private infos.

• Options
    Cookie mismatch? That's gotta suck.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    To put it simply I will not go back to Firefox for you Google.

• Options
    edited September 2011

Only on the home page. All the other pages feature 2 column or freeform interfaces.

Edit: Not that I've actually analyzed the usability of both, nor will I defend one over the other

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Oh snap a Greg Giraldo joke...nice.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Only on the home page. All the other pages feature 2 column or freeform interfaces.

Edit: Not that I've actually analyzed the usability of both, nor will I defend one over the other

As someone who has put literally no thought into this: what's wrong with a 3 column setup? and how is 2 columns superior/what's the best layout approach?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I'm going to learn Ruby and Rails and then make a goldmine as a contractor to companies who want to turn their website into Web 2.0 garbage-shit.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Weee! I just beat Machinarium. That was a fun one.

This discussion has been closed.